Forum › Our Yuri Started With Me Getting Rejected in a Dream discussion

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

I wonder if someday will ever come for me? Sure fucking hope so.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

OK, so the thing is, I can sort of see the girl wimping out and saying "Please just keep waiting" . . . but what I don't get is our usual viewpoint girl just saying OK and leaving it. I mean, how bloody obvious is it what she's asking her to wait for? Why doesn't she say "I know what you want to say and I want to say it too"?

Takes two to be neutron-star useless.

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

screams what the heckkkk lol

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

the comment section is wild lmaooo

It's like we forget it's a work of fiction lol but even so they're like 16 or whatever. MC has a bit of ptsd from her initial rejection dream and she just admitted to her feelings for the first time. Given what we know of her, she's liable to be frustratingly slow lol. This is her first rodeo at both love and with her female bestie at that.

Anyway, I love the range of expressions from this artist/author. It's so good lol

Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

I'm squealing

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

If only Tsukushi had paid more attention to Sara was saying, she could just gauge her chances by probing Hinoka's thoughts on the other couple. :D

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

“Useless lesbians” has just about gone from being a narrative trope to an actual yuri sub-genre.

Romance manga in general are massively invested in the dynamic where if the characters just communicated like halfway normal human beings there would be no story (effective interpersonal communication can be difficult in many circumstances, but in some manga series a simple, “Wait, let me clarify what I meant” would bring the whole house of cards crashing down).

At this point, though, useless lesbian yuri stories are nearly as codified as shogi problems:

• A likes B and B likes A, but one or both of them are unaware of their own feelings.

• A likes B and knows it, but thinks B would be disgusted if they knew it.

• A and B are unaware that they’re totally into each other, but someone else (maybe everybody else) is aware of it, etc.

The issue is that (usually) readers are put in the position of knowing more than any of the characters know, and some people get so frustrated they start wishing for the story to not exist.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

There's Also A likes B and B likes A but for some ungodly reason, it's decided that A is the one with the responsibility to confess first.
And the relationship enters and stalemate for months or a year... LoL I swear, if B says "You took too long!" I'm going to go bald

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There's Also A likes B and B likes A but for some ungodly reason, it's decided that A is the one with the responsibility to confess first.
And the relationship enters and stalemate for months or a year... LoL I swear, if B says "You took too long!" I'm going to go bald

True. Not all theoretically possible shogi openings lead to productive play.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I understand most of what you said Blastaar, but I don't get how the analogy between what you said about uselessbian yuri and shogi problems works. Saying as someone who reads yuri nearly daily and occasionally plays shogi.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I understand most of what you said Blastaar, but I don't get how the analogy between what you said about uselessbian yuri and shogi problems works. Saying as someone who reads yuri nearly daily and occasionally plays shogi.

Sorry, BV, I thought it was pretty straightforward. “Useless lesbians” stories open with (usually) a pair of characters in certain “positions” in regard to their own feelings and to their awareness of their own feelings and to the feelings of the other person.

The story then proceeds to play out a finite set of variations including, but not limited to:

• Character realizes that they love the other one

• Character realizes the other one loves them

• Character reveals or hides their feelings

• False rival appears to spur character to confess

And so on.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Takes two to be neutron-star useless.

Well, binary neutron stars do tend to circle each other for hundreds of millions of years before finally going in for the merge, so that metaphor is even more appropriate than I first thought.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

“Useless lesbians” has just about gone from being a narrative trope to an actual yuri sub-genre.

Romance manga in general are massively invested in the dynamic where if the characters just communicated like halfway normal human beings there would be no story (effective interpersonal communication can be difficult in many circumstances, but in some manga series a simple, “Wait, let me clarify what I meant” would bring the whole house of cards crashing down).

At this point, though, useless lesbian yuri stories are nearly as codified as shogi problems:

• A likes B and B likes A, but one or both of them are unaware of their own feelings.

• A likes B and knows it, but thinks B would be disgusted if they knew it.

• A and B are unaware that they’re totally into each other, but someone else (maybe everybody else) is aware of it, etc.

The issue is that (usually) readers are put in the position of knowing more than any of the characters know, and some people get so frustrated they start wishing for the story to not exist.

It's the same structure as an old episode of Columbo, basically.

last edited at Nov 24, 2022 11:16AM

Img-thing
joined Jan 19, 2016

My sugar levels are of the charts with these too, i'm melting from cuteness

Imgonline-com-ua-resize-vwt1kupzlnws
joined Jul 8, 2018

Well, at least she's come to terms with her own feelings.

And guys, the title/premise of the manga had to come back into play at some point lol. Obviously she would still have that underlying fear of rejection after her dream.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

...“Useless lesbians” stories open with (usually) a pair of characters in certain “positions” in regard to their own feelings and to their awareness of their own feelings and to the feelings of the other person.

The story then proceeds to play out a finite set of variations including, but not limited to:

And so on.

I think I can agree with the "finite set of variations" if we're thinking strictly in formulae and patterns, but more often than not what makes a series is its minutiae and execution, so I don't think it's all that productive to make an overarching judgment of the useless-lesbians trope, which by the way I'm more than in favor of cementing useless lesbians as a genre. I mean, you can't really compare "Sekai de Ichiban Oppai ga Suki!" to "Useless Princesses", right?

It's the same structure as an old episode of Columbo, basically.

That's one hell of a fucking reference there. Nice.

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

Ah, it hurts! The fear of rejection. T_T

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

...“Useless lesbians” stories open with (usually) a pair of characters in certain “positions” in regard to their own feelings and to their awareness of their own feelings and to the feelings of the other person.

And so on.

I think I can agree with the "finite set of variations" if we're thinking strictly in formulae and patterns, but more often than not what makes a series is its minutiae and execution, so I don't think it's all that productive to make an overarching judgment of the useless-lesbians trope, which by the way I'm more than in favor of cementing useless lesbians as a genre. I mean, you can't really compare "Sekai de Ichiban Oppai ga Suki!" to "Useless Princesses", right?

Not sure where the “overarching judgement” part comes from—all I’m saying is that at this point “uselessness” in yuri is becoming less simply a character type (like “tsundere”) that can be inserted almost anywhere (although it also remains that) and more like a story type that can ring any number of changes along the “awareness,” “self-awareness,” and “confession” trajectories (among others).

My main point had to do with the audience reaction to that story type—since usually for much of the story readers are put in the position of being substantially more aware of the characters’ feelings than they are themselves (or are willing to admit to themselves or to others), some readers quickly get frustrated with the inherent delay and start scolding the characters for being “cowards” and telling them to “grow some ovaries,” etc. Which for these kinds of stories is basically wishing the story away.

joined Aug 29, 2019

idiot couple can be, to an extent, an acquired taste.
I used to react negatively to it and get annoyed by those series, be it in manga and anime. Maybe it was for a perceived lack of alternatives but now I kinda like it. PBMMV, Hino-san (please don't tell me I'll have to read it elsewhere...), Childhood Friend, Hijiki's works, I've found quite a few that appeal to me.

last edited at Nov 27, 2022 11:18AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I used to react negatively to it and get annoyed by those series, be it in manga and anime. Maybe it was for a perceived lack of alternatives but now I kinda like it. PBMMV, Hino-san (please don't tell me I'll have to read it elsewhere...), Childhood Friend, Hijiki's works, I've found quite a few that appeal to me.

Also for me the one I can never remember the title of, where one of a pair of best friends keeps making increasingly yuri-esque gestures while protesting that their behavior is “just normal.”

I’m sure some kind soul has that title at hand.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Also for me the one I can never remember the title of, where one of a pair of best friends keeps making increasingly yuri-esque gestures while protesting that their behavior is “just normal.”

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/you_are_totally_in_love_with_me_arent_you

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/you_are_totally_in_love_with_me_arent_you

That’s it—thanks. As I think I’ve said over there, that one has surprising legs for a one-note gag series.

joined Aug 29, 2019

I guess another one in a similar vein that one might include would be After School, because french kissing is exactly what platonic girl friends do after school, right?

joined Feb 1, 2021

I guess another one in a similar vein that one might include would be After School, because french kissing is exactly what platonic girl friends do after school, right?

After School is just some other yuri manga photocopied in reverse order so the kiss is at the front rather than the back. You can't fool me.

last edited at Nov 27, 2022 4:00PM

Nishikino-maki-and-ayase-eri-3-love-live-school-idol-project-37571467-350-197(1)
joined Dec 1, 2018

Damn. Lock the 2 in a room. They can only get out again when they have confessed their love to each other or have kissed

To reply you must either login or sign up.