Forum › Our Yuri Started With Me Getting Rejected in a Dream discussion

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Not sure where the “overarching judgement” part comes from—all I’m saying is that at this point “uselessness” in yuri is becoming less simply a character type (like “tsundere”) that can be inserted almost anywhere (although it also remains that) and more like a story type that can ring any number of changes along the “awareness,” “self-awareness,” and “confession” trajectories (among others).

I honestly do not remember what my thought process was when I wrote that. I think I thought you were criticizing something and wanted to offer my perspective, but I do not think it matters much. I absolutely agree that "uselessness" is becoming much more than a "simple" character trait, and I'm wholly in favor of this, too.

My main point had to do with the audience reaction to that story type—since usually for much of the story readers are put in the position of being substantially more aware of the characters’ feelings than they are themselves (or are willing to admit to themselves or to others), some readers quickly get frustrated with the inherent delay and start scolding the characters for being “cowards” and telling them to “grow some ovaries,” etc. Which for these kinds of stories is basically wishing the story away.

Now I understand more clearly what you meant, and with this specific point I also agree wholeheartedly. I think that in general, it can sometimes be hard to distinguish that we as readers/meta-observers know far more than in-story/in-universe individuals, especially if one is really invested in a character or something similar. If I'm being honest, I also do this at times. It's usually less from a "grow some ovaries" place for me and more "this could have been such a great moment", but I'm no saint regardless.

In any case, about the chapter - I love the shift in perspective. It gives depth and context to Hinoka's behavior beforehand. She looked like she was aware, and there were points where it seemed like she was awkwardly trying to make moves, and it appears that she was awkwardly trying to make moves. I'm loving this.

joined Mar 19, 2020

Nice to see that at least she doesn’t think they’re together and has just resolved herself to get that, also must reread this with this new info

Marcy
joined Nov 11, 2015

Idk how to explain but I'm in chapter 5 and this looks so... straightly gay
Like !! does it makes sense?? straightly gay? Like they're being so amazingly gay in such a... STRAIGHT WAY !!

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Just go out together alreadyyyyyyyyy
You’re both too cute I’m dyinggggggg

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

Now that we know they love each other and they can't say they love each other, can we put a Useless Lesbians tag or something similar?

We already have idiot couple for that.

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

Well, that was fluffy and satisfying even though we already knew that that was probably what she was thinking at the time.

joined Nov 12, 2021

FINALLY WE GET HER POV ARGHHHHHHHHH

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Now that we know they love each other and they can't say they love each other, can we put a Useless Lesbians tag or something similar?

We already have idiot couple for that.

I say this more for discussion rather than vying for a tag but...these two aren't a couple. They love each other but they don't know the other loves them! They're each one signal away from BEING a couple. So I don't think they can be considered that yet. IMO.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Did they mind-meld in a dream and just interpret it differently?

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

So, it wasn't my imagination, she was straight up (heh) FLIRTING THE ENTIRE TIME!

20220104_023724
joined Feb 11, 2013

Wow thats a good one!

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

so I've reread the series after chapter 14 because of obvious reasons and I noticed that Ch.11 feeds into Ch.13 which feeds into Ch.12 which feeds into Ch.14. So there's something up with the way the chapters are ordered.

Also my fucking god with the knowledge that Hinoka has been in love with Tsukushi from the very start her actions and the way she's been acting becomes so obvious as a result, especially with chapter 13 where Tsukushi tells her to please wait until she can tell Hinoka what's going on like, no fucking way Hinoka did not pick up what was being put down there.

Bppble
joined Aug 22, 2022

so I've reread the series after chapter 14 because of obvious reasons and I noticed that Ch.11 feeds into Ch.13 which feeds into Ch.12 which feeds into Ch.14. So there's something up with the way the chapters are ordered.

Nah, Lock Screen -> You Look Great Together -> Nothing as of Yet

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

i think you misunderstood, it's not the content of the chapter that's in the wrong order, but rather where dynasty sends you to after pressing "next chapter" that's mixed up like BreadBunny wrote

Bppble
joined Aug 22, 2022

Oh, alright, I use a reader app

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

i think you misunderstood, it's not the content of the chapter that's in the wrong order, but rather where dynasty sends you to after pressing "next chapter" that's mixed up like BreadBunny wrote

yeah sorry should have been clearer, if you're reading the chapters and just going next chapter it goes 11 -> 13 -> 12 ->14 right now

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

JUST DO IT
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS
JUST DO IT

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

JUST GET MARRIED ALREADY

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

It's heartwarming to see girls have such a close Platonic friendship that they dream about each other. Truly the Power of Friendship.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

It's heartwarming to see girls have such a close Platonic friendship that they dream about each other. Truly the Power of Friendship.

One day, one of them will confess to the other that they've always wanted to be best friends

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Almost but not quite; in Tsukushi's dream, Hinoka explicitly rejects her, while in Hinoka's version she can't speak at all.

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

And so she really has been trying to flirt this whole time.

Nishikino-maki-and-ayase-eri-3-love-live-school-idol-project-37571467-350-197(1)
joined Dec 1, 2018

So Ch. 14 is the Sequel from Ch. 2? And Ch. 3-Ch.14 was before Ch. 1?

4825dbbf-266a-42cd-a88b-34a30c1f7471
joined Apr 16, 2021

i love how stupid these girls are…. like damn you guys are so gay for each other it’s visible from space yet they still can’t realise…

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

So Ch. 14 is the Sequel from Ch. 2? And Ch. 3-Ch.14 was before Ch. 1?

no, while chapter 14 does show us the first and second chapter from a different perspective, all the other chapters are still happening in chronological order. It's just that through this chapter we now know that Hinoka is also in love with Tsukushi which explains her actions and reactions to Tsukushi's behavior up until now. And casts them into a definitively romantic light rather than the ambiguously romantic light we (and Tsukushi) have been seeing up until now.

last edited at Dec 20, 2022 1:30PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.