Forum › Please Spoil Me, Hinamori-san! discussion

Forbiddenlove
joined Jun 21, 2021

I'm guessing that RELAX <-> ILUVU misunderstanding is something completely untranslatable so I feel like I shouldn't complain too much... but it felt really clunky nonetheless.

Yes and no. On one hand, the misunderstanding is actually completely implausible even in japanese (ochitsuite <-> aishiteru). The only thing that matches is the number of syllables, which we tried to match using the number of letters.

But what is more natural in japanese, of course, is that one character = one syllable so the written language does a better job representing the whole "mouthing each syllable one at a time" and "trying to identify each syllable from her mouthing it" thing. We also considered writing out individual syllables in each of the bubbles, which is closer to the intended effect, but I thought writing out separated syllables in english looked weird. (also the most natural translations were like, 2 or 3 syllables, not 5...)

The high effort move would have been to erase two of the five bubbles in the first panel and find a 3 syllable translation ("calm your tits"? :P ) so that it could be mistaken for "I love you". Maybe I should have done that.

last edited at Oct 30, 2022 7:28PM

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Very cute chapter the earlier ones for this I honestly didn't think anything would actually happen between these two and it would just stay in that weird Yaya is a baby that wants to be comforted/consoled etc. But this chapter def proves she does still think that way of her Senpai even if she frustrates her more than anything at times lol.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I don't know if I've ever seen such a tense badminton match in manga. Cute chapter regardless, Yaya and Ichigo are one of my favorite pairs right now.

joined May 1, 2015

Senpai being cool... impossible, but true.
That yurei impression was spot on.

Wsewamzlrlff%20(2)
joined Jul 2, 2018

woah cool senpai, this manga has grown on me

Kidsbeingkidscats2
joined Jan 19, 2015

sean are you ok

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

sean are you ok

Are you okay, Sean?

Ioruu%20dr
joined Jul 13, 2014

It's okay, Sean, as someone who loves badminton, I can get why you're pissed.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Entire body, eh? Exaggerating as always... :D

Things got pretty romantic there for a bit.

And she did even manage to make her fall for her again by showing her cool side. And then ruined it with the Sadako impression...

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

FINGERLICKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Can't tell if this is bad romance or not, but it sure is something.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Seems like I remember some Oscar-winning badminton movie in the 80's...Chariots of Fire?

joined Nov 22, 2019

The moment of Hinamori after the game reminded me of Bloom Into You

last edited at Nov 1, 2022 2:26AM

joined Apr 6, 2019

I'm guessing that RELAX <-> ILUVU misunderstanding is something completely untranslatable so I feel like I shouldn't complain too much... but it felt really clunky nonetheless.

Kosterlitz already explained how it works in Japanese. I'm just going to add that the same problem happens when trying to translate to any language. You have to make choices. In the Spanish version, they went with a rhyme:

Hinamori: RE-LA-JA-TE-PRI-ME-RO
Suou: "YO-A-TI-TE-QUI-E-RO???"

Then Suou goes "Noooooo no puedes confesar ahora, chica mala!" and proceeds to win the match.

joined Jul 21, 2020

Seems like I remember some Oscar-winning badminton movie in the 80's...Chariots of Fire?

I'm 100% certain Chariots of Fire is about running.

I looked up badminton movies in wiki and found four: one Chinese, one Malaysian, one Indian, and one Indonesian. XD All are about some local guy who was best player in the world at some time. I guess badminton is not so popular in Hollywood?

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

woah cool senpai, this manga has grown on me

Absolutely yeah, it’s improved so much since the opening since it’s had time to give actual depth to the their personalities beyond the gag

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Did Suou just speak using Lesbian telepathy?

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I love how this has a valid calligraphy lesson!† I will say that in my years of teaching at a high school, I never used a hanamaru - probably because I was a gaikokujin. I did do all the other grading conventions, Since I graded many many hundreds of papers. I think MC should be counting her blessings instead of grumbling. Senpai is noticing her!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctRXU3w-Exo to apply this calligraphy lesson.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Entire body, eh? Exaggerating as always... :D

Things got pretty romantic there for a bit.

And she did even manage to make her fall for her again by showing her cool side. And then ruined it with the Sadako impression...

Ichigo is already down bad for senpai, she’s just a major tsundere.

(Surprises me that there is no Tsundere tag for this series)

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Yaya is 100% onto Ichigo liking her back, isn't she? Useless senpai not so useless.

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

Love this every time a new chapter gets released. Had a lot of giggling moment within this.

Yaya is 100% onto Ichigo liking her back, isn't she? Useless senpai not so useless.

Personally for me I still feel like Yaya is not 100% onto the whole crush thing. I feel like for her at the moment love isn't too much in the equation for their relationship. More of less like a more wholesome version of "friends with benefits" type scenario. Of course I could be wrong but eh that's my two cents.

last edited at Dec 11, 2022 10:24PM

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

This is such a fun series.

joined Jan 11, 2014

I adore these two so much. The way mc sees past her veneer and still falls for senpai's genuinely good heart... after all the gushy needy drooling on senpai's part. It's so sweet. They make each other so happy

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Someone has been playing Majora's Mask lately.

joined Jan 14, 2020

"Boobs right behind me! Squish, squish!"

To reply you must either login or sign up.