Forum › Anime season

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Yuru Camp S3 announced

Awww yeah nice! Literally rewatching the whole thing right now :D More Yuru Camp is always good

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Lilliwyt posted:

Yuru Camp S3 announced

Absolutely great news so close to the movie, but I hope we get the BD with english subs before the s3....Although, the movie is like a time skip or What If that doesn't happen in the manga so there shouldn't be any problem.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Yuru Camp S3 announced

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I think if Eve is revealed to be Aoi's mother's daughter, which is very possible, it'll be paired with the reveal that Aoi is herself genetically unrelated to her mother. Partly for the ship, partly because it would make her mother's eugenicist ideology extremely ironic.

This is where I'm thinking the story is going. The themes set up by s1 and plus some of the trailers for s2 with Aoi wondering who she is make me think it is supposed be about the irony of Aoi's mother's eugenicist ideology

joined Apr 14, 2022

Well, after arguing about it at such length, I figured the least I could do was watch the 4th alchemist episode on 400% speed to see if they elaborated on anything. We got a much more detailed balance sheet this time:

・Still no explanation whatsoever for the treatment costing 20 million
・Iris and Kate are now Ryza's slaves
・After one day of working for her they repaid 3500 of their debt. That almost confirms the previously established standard of 1mil per year income for part time work, except for the fact that that was two people's labour, but at this rate they'll earn their freedom in about 20 years
・The assistant is still not being paid. Guess it's fine if other people work for free, just not herself
・We've finally established a recurring expense: ingredients. The price of which make absolutely no sense.
・She profited 1.7mil, even after spending 2.6mil on ingredients she hasn't used for anything yet. So her net worth has increased by at least 4.3mil in one day, not counting the fact that she now owns two slaves
・Donated 1% of one day's profit to her orphanage to assuage her conscience
・Does not seem to be in danger of starving

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

...but everyone gets paid in tea and free rent I guess. Capitalism, Ho!

I was intrigued for the first episode or two but at this point Novice Alchemist is really sort of boring to me... nobody other than Sarasa has really established any sort of personality yet and it feels painfully generic.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Nevri posted:

Not that anyone cares, since there's no yuri, but episode 1 of Arknights is great and if they keep it up, I shouldn't be worried about them rushing the story, since we only get 8 episodes of season 1 copium

I'm pretty excited but I might wait for 3 or 4 episodes to start and enjoy it like a movie (Arcane really spoiled me) hmmm but I feel like, the characters I like won't appear in the first season, like any gatcha game it gets pretty wild and diverse later on.

DIY tsundere is super gay

Untitled
joined Jan 23, 2022

Not that anyone cares, since there's no yuri, but episode 1 of Arknights is great and if they keep it up, I shouldn't be worried about them rushing the story, since we only get 8 episodes of season 1 copium

Franka and Liskarm gonna have some chemistry copium

Tumblr_nsb2wsngkl1t0bs5do3_250
joined Jul 2, 2013

If we really don't get any crumbs in the anime I'll just go read their manga and cry over their chemistry again.

joined Apr 16, 2022

So I finally got around to watching the first 3 episodes of the alchemist anime @protectmomo was complaining about, and it pretty much confirmed my earlier suspicion:

the anime just does a very poor job of actually depicting basic details of its premise and instead mostly just runs on vibes. Given that, it makes sense that people inclined to be charitable to the anime assume things to make it make sense, while people without such an inclination will just see it as bad.

I think there are four main reasons the anime ran into problems with this plot point:

1. Very little detail is given into where exactly Sarasa gets her ingredients from. If I'm charitable to the anime, I can assume the potion she uses to heal Iris's arm is made from incredibly expensive ingredients, and/or perhaps takes a long time to make, justifying its ridiculously high price. But no mention of any of this is made, so it's never made clear why the operation has to be so expensive. This is because the anime very blatantly has put very little thought into the actual mechanics of the world and the economics of the alchemy profession in particular.

2. The "lecture justifying putting a monetary value on life," as protectmomo puts it, is not an inherently bad idea. At the very least I can see it being an interesting description of Sarasa's worldview, as well as showing her main character flaw of not understanding people very well. Unfortunately, it's been drained of pretty much all substance whatsoever (don't want to turn off potential viewers by having our MC say something they disagree with) so it pretty much boils down to "I can't always treat people for free." Which is true, but also is not the point.

3. Related to the above, it would've been easy to put Sarasa into real financial pressure if the anime didn't go out of its way to ensure that every major character has no real flaws. She could've started out in heavy debt to her master -- certainly her master had more than enough reason to charge her for years of private mentorship. She could've needed to go into debt to purchase her necessary starting capital, such as ingredients, tools, and the like. And she could've been made to depend far more on outside labor than she currently is. Which brings us to...

4. Was there really a need to make alchemists super good at fighting too? Not only does it render the entire concept of a "gatherer" pointless when alchemists can do the same thing but better, but it also (again) ruins a potential monetary cost of Sarasa's. If she was unable to fight and so depended on paying gatherers to risk their lives fighting monsters to get ingredients instead, that would further justify her needing to charge a premium. But of course then she wouldn't be the most super awesome badass character in the show and we can't have that.

In conclusion, I don't think this is a libertarian anime, I think it's just kind of dumb and not well thought out and so a basic "doctors need to make money too" plot point ended up falling flat.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I was surprised to stumble across an anime adaption of My Master Has No Tail this season. It's a fun little historical fantasy series. I started reading the manga back when it was first being translated but lost track of it since then so I haven't caught up, but I've seen it listed as "shoujo ai" by quite a few sources so there may be shades of yuri to the story as it progresses.

last edited at Oct 29, 2022 6:45PM

joined Jun 21, 2021

I was surprised to stumble across an anime adaption of My Master Has No Tail's this season. It's a fun little historical fantasy series. I started reading the manga back when it was first being translated but lost track of it since then so I haven't caught up, but I've seen it listed as "shoujo ai" by quite a few sources so there may be shades of yuri to the story as it progresses.

Yeah you could say that xD

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Yeah you could say that xD

It has been quite cute so far. (ɔ◔‿◔)ɔ ♥

I always hesitate to straight out label something as yuri unless it's explicit since there are a lot of people who will rage that it's baiting etc. but I thought this one deserved at least a heads up on here. It's also nice to have something different from the usual CGDCT formula for a change. I really like the classic Japanese historical fantasy setting. It's a bit like Konohana Kitan crossed with Uchouten Kazoku, Rakugo and Hoozuki no Reitetsu.

It starts slow and a bit wobbly during the story's initial setup but picks up quickly once it finds its stride and the plot gets going,

Edit: I couldn't resist reading ahead a bit in the manga and it definitely looks like this would at the very least earn subtext tags here on Dynasty Reader. I won't spoil anything, but one panel, in particular, was quite lewd complete with an explosion of sparkling lily (yuri) flowers framing it.

last edited at Nov 1, 2022 3:51PM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

I’m certainly hoping so! I enjoyed the first episode. If it keeps to this quality level it’ll be a good watch. I don’t think it’ll get too into romance, het or yuri, but I’d be happy with some Franka/Liskarm service.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Is there any yuri or subtexty or even good cgdct anime this season? Ive not been keeping track.

joined Jun 21, 2021

Is there any yuri or subtexty or even good cgdct anime this season? Ive not been keeping track.

the latest episode of Yama no Susume: Next Summit was extraordinarily gay

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Do It Yourself is like 50% about a tsundere not quite being able to confess to her childhood friend

Bocchi the Rock is too cringe for my taste, but very well made and seems to be popular with yuri fans

last edited at Nov 10, 2022 6:11PM

joined Jan 6, 2017

Do It Yourself is like 50% about a tsundere not quite being able to confess to her childhood friend

Bocchi the Rock is too cringe for my taste, but very well made and seems to be popular with yuri fans

Bocchi the Rock is typical Kirara stuff. One of the characters is explicitly gay, probably not gonna go anywhere. The rest of the cast is pretty fruity too, probably not gonna go anywhere either. It's very cute though
It also has some of the best music this year and we're not even halfway through it yet

And DIY has the SEA cat girl x the butch club president as a side ship. I love them

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

We got a special short animation for the opening of Gundam The Witch of Mercury https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7p1RIksKp8 this is the English version, did you know? apparently the opening is actually Aerial Gundam's wishes

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-11-10/gundam-witch-from-mercury-anime-prequel-short-story-english-version-posted/.191774

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

We got a special short animation for the opening of Gundam The Witch of Mercury https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7p1RIksKp8 this is the English version, did you know? apparently the opening is actually Aerial Gundam's wishes

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-11-10/gundam-witch-from-mercury-anime-prequel-short-story-english-version-posted/.191774

Oh yeah, the music video that was used for the end credits in episode 2. I didn't know about an English version though... Thanks for the link!

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

An adorable Yuri Crush moment in today's Raven of the Inner Palace episode.

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Little lies we all tell going for the yuri

last edited at Nov 19, 2022 5:23PM

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

^what's that anime about?

last edited at Nov 19, 2022 6:14PM

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

^what's that anime about?

Gag comedy about a group of 3 girls and 1 crossdressing boy who all have something to hide.

Twintail is an allien who brainwashed everybody into believing she is human
Glasses is a mind reader
The long haired girl is a ninja
Crossdressing boy.. is a boy.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Seems to be a new season of Symphogear on the way... in 20XX

https://twitter.com/SYMPHOGEAR/status/1594293709906251776

To reply you must either login or sign up.