Forum › Snow Thaw & Love Letter discussion

joined Apr 16, 2022

This may have been the first time I’ve seen the literal term “prince” used for a girl with long hair.

There have been plenty of long-haired “perfect” students whom everyone adores, of course, but usually people called “princes” have at least medium-length hair if not an androgynous short cut.

That’s maybe the only way this deviates from standard-issue tropes, but we shall see where it goes.

Utena was likened to a prince fairly frequently and had long, pink, hair.

Right, but she wanted to be a regarded as an actual ”prince,” like in nobility, as opposed to somebody who is just given that label in high school.

This isn't the Utena thread, but "she wanted to be a literal royal prince" is not how I would interpret Utena's character; for her, "prince" meant the type of person who selflessly fought to save others. At the same time she is treated like a typical "high school prince" by others (well she's technically a middle schooler), with a bunch of girls worshiping her etc.

Anyway, as for the manga this thread is about, I agree with the general consensus that the writing in this chapter is kind of generic and exposition-heavy. But the art is really good so I'll stick with it lol. Shun at least has potential to be a more complex and interesting character than she may seem on first impression.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Utena was likened to a prince fairly frequently and had long, pink, hair.

Right, but she wanted to be a regarded as an actual ”prince,” like in nobility, as opposed to somebody who is just given that label in high school.

This isn't the Utena thread, but "she wanted to be a literal royal prince" is not how I would interpret Utena's character; for her, "prince" meant the type of person who selflessly fought to save others. At the same time she is treated like a typical "high school prince" by others (well she's technically a middle schooler), with a bunch of girls worshiping her etc.

OK, whatever, you win.

Let me ask then more specifically if there are other examples of yuri schoolgirl romance manga (sans fighting/combat/sword duels) where a long-haired “idol of the girls school” is specifically called a “prince”? I’m just curious if this trope is actually as unusual as it strikes me.

joined Mar 23, 2022

omg thank you so much for picking this up! I really hope the author's other work (which I always see in twitter, the long haired girl in here is quite similar with the long haired girl in there)will be pick up as well for english translation.>///<.

joined Mar 23, 2022

At first I thought this was the serialization of the artist's pixiv series Takane-san and Arashi-chan, but only the cool girl's design is similar.

Same, then after checking author's twitter I found out this was serialized and published, I really love previous one and I always see it in author's twitter. I hope it will get serialized and published as well because the story looks good and the characters are sweet af

joined Mar 23, 2022

I hope she is a pure girl and not a two faced bitch.
me reading lots of manwha giving trust issues with this kind of character.

joined Mar 23, 2022

At first I thought this was the serialization of the artist's pixiv series Takane-san and Arashi-chan, but only the cool girl's design is similar.

@youdontknowwho can I ask where did you get this english version please??been searching but can't find any english translation.T-T

Png-clipart-mega-man-x-mega-man-zero-2-mega-man-zero-collection-mega-man-bass-others-miscellaneous-video-game
joined Dec 18, 2021

(And I should have specified in “yuri manga”—I have very limited interest in anime, and all but none at all in LNs.)

There is an Utena manga that was published at the same time the tv anime was airing.

There's also a movie, a musical, and even a console game.

omgf I just looked at the video and watched the game opening sequence with the Ootori Academy Anthem and I can't even ahm done

joined Jul 25, 2022

Ah yes. Fantastic. Hope this will ahem get those scenes that we couldn't get in AkaxAra :))

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

This looks like it's going to be some fluffy romance and I'm looking forward to more! Thanks for the translation <3

LackLustre09721
joined Apr 26, 2022

I smell jealousy from the gals

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Okaaay what can we see from one chapter alone? just facts
1 She's lonely, no friends apparently
2 The new girl just gained a whole lot of enemies, potentially yanderes

My doubts and conjectures

1 The president of the school council has either a huge ego or confidence, or she's already in love with someone else, I'm interested in her.
2 I hope the transfer student noticed something beyond the looks to approach her so boldly, why are you so insistent that it has to be her? I would like to know.

She is a genki type with fang so she mostly just saw her no one approached her and found her interesting so she just went and did it

Wsewamzlrlff%20(2)
joined Jul 2, 2018

Usually stories like these aren't from the "prince's" perspective, at least in series' and not oneshots, so it'll be nice to see the fluff from here on. Let's go lonely sociable lovely good at everything but no friends archetype, fall in love.

Image_push%20(3)
joined Nov 2, 2019

My doubts and conjectures

1 The president of the school council has either a huge ego or confidence, or she's already in love with someone else, I'm interested in her.
2 I hope the transfer student noticed something beyond the looks to approach her so boldly, why are you so insistent that it has to be her? I would like to know.

1. Either she is aware that she lives in a strongly hierarchical society and knows that, by her position, she has a higher social position at school than the rest of the students.

2. Boldness is typical for genki's. If they take an interest in someone, they act with full impetus. As for the second part of the question, I'm curious myself.

I hope she is a pure girl and not a two faced bitch.
me reading lots of manwha giving trust issues with this kind of character.

That would be quite non-canonical. Generally genki's are innocent. Among other things, that's why it's so easy for them to make friends - because they don't calculate, they don't weigh up the issue of social status, etc.

youdontknowwho
Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

@youdontknowwho can I ask where did you get this english version please??been searching but can't find any english translation.T-T

I just googled Takane-san and Arashi-chan and clicked on the first image result. I can find up to 18 chapters in this site, but they're in Vietnamese.

The two girls in that series got intimate real fast, so hopefully it's the same here

joined Jul 28, 2022

Hey

Would you mind sharing the textless (clear or re-draw whatever u called) version of this series?
I would like to translate in into my home language (thai)

Thanks!

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

The art is really good, even if it's maybe your standard yuri romance without any problem it's going to be a fun read.

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

Utena "wanted to be a literal royal prince" is not how I would interpret Utena's character; for her, "prince" meant the type of person who selflessly fought to save others. At the same time she is treated like a typical "high school prince" by others (well she's technically a middle schooler), with a bunch of girls worshiping her etc.

Episode 12. Touga has defeated Utena and is the new Champion of the Duel; Anthy now belongs to him. Juri notices that he looks really smug and pleased with himself after his victory, and tells him it's too early to parade around like that. Touga doesn't think so.
Touga: "The show is over. The play has come to an end. In the final act, the prince defeated his direst enemy and won the hand of the beautiful princess. Now the only thing left is the happy ever after. That's it. The End."
Juri: ... "This isn't the final act yet."

Utena challenges Touga again. She doesn't have a proper sword so she takes a bamboo shinai, just like in her first duel with Saionji. On her way to the arena, at the foot of the spiral stairs, Utena meets Juri who is waiting for her. Juri hands her a real steel sword.
Juri: "Take this, prince. You need it for the final act of the play."

I love that scene, it's just perfect. If you ask me what kind of prince Utena is, I say: "EVERY KIND!"

last edited at Oct 2, 2022 4:05PM

joined Dec 3, 2017

i seriously thought this was supposed to be Takane's and Arashi's story serialized, but the eye color is different for Takane's equivalent here, and Arashi's equivalent has a different hairstyle.... Guess we'll just run with it LOL

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Seems pretty ho hum so far. Give it a couple more chapters I guess.

last edited at Oct 2, 2022 4:29PM

joined Mar 10, 2017

I also thought it was Takane-san!
Hey, you can check YURI Na No's facebook link for the english version: (https://www.facebook.com/108986938483394/posts/pfbid0qX3Q5jjJAMcJoPNBZEYUYfoVyWUA5fETXLgRn2jR4yPSNvfQYznMzyNbYeueXdcWl/)

last edited at Oct 2, 2022 5:04PM

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

The art is really good, even if it's maybe your standard yuri romance without any problem it's going to be a fun read.

Funny thing is that those vanilla yuri romances are actually quite rare in long format. I've always felt the publishers haven't wanted to even try to publish these.

There's a reason why Girl Friends is well regarded, because it was a pretty honest look at young fumbling queer girls, with relatively appropriate amount of contextually suitable drama, and a full payoff. You even got a nice extra chapter years later from the author. That is actually almost shockingly rare.

Even more rare seems to be sort of soft vanilla yuri that doesn't have any overbearing dramatic or comedic elements.

last edited at Oct 2, 2022 6:07PM

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

The exposition is a bit heavy-handed, but as long as it tones down it might be pretty neat. It's not a super original concept to be alienated from everyone because of your status. Being put on a pedestal while all you wanted was to just have a bunch of friends. But one that I'd surely enjoy ... As long as it won't try this hard to drill certain points as it did in this (first) chapter.
Fingers crossed that this ends up being a good read.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Episode 12. Touga has defeated Utena and is the new Champion of the Duel; Anthy now belongs to him. Juri notices that he looks really smug and pleased with himself after his victory, and tells him it's too early to parade around like that. Touga doesn't think so.
Touga: "The show is over. The play has come to an end. In the final act, the prince defeated his direst enemy and won the hand of the beautiful princess. Now the only thing left is the happy ever after. That's it. The End."
Juri: ... "This isn't the final act yet."

Utena challenges Touga again. She doesn't have a proper sword so she takes a bamboo shinai, just like in her first duel with Saionji. On her way to the arena, at the foot of the spiral stairs, Utena meets Juri who is waiting for her. Juri hands her a real steel sword.
Juri: "Take this, prince. You need it for the final act of the play."

joined Oct 10, 2016

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/snow_thaw_love_letter_ch01#20
"It's written with character for spring (haru) but pronounced Shun"

...I don't get it, someone explain

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/snow_thaw_love_letter_ch01#20
"It's written with character for spring (haru) but pronounced Shun"

...I don't get it, someone explain

Shun is the onyomi reading for the 春 kanji used in her name, aka it's derived from the Chinese pronunciation for the character. Haru is a kunyomi, aka a reading that's original to Japanese.

To reply you must either login or sign up.