Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

what do you mean we are entering the angst arc ;_;

We already did. It started last chapter with the “New Semester of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

So many people are willing to give Jerkface another chance one he said he'd keep his mouth shut, but he confirmed his jerkface status when he realized that Aya was into Mitsuki/Shop Clerk and his first inclination was to suggest that he could join in with them in their relations. I understand that impulse to want to watch/join/admire two (or more) attractive women enjoy each other's company, but to suggest that, out loud, to her face, in public (since she was at work), was a true jerkface move. It totally cemented his status as sleaze in my mind.

Yep I'm worried about this as well. I try and give people the benefit of doubt and give others a second chance but the first thing I thought of is he's gonna attempt to blackmail her eventually. Hoping he's not as much of a jerkface as it's lead onto believe though. But I def foresee some kind of blackmail in the future.

Riiiiiight bc Boys and Girls cant be friends or that a boy cant be friends with 2 girls without having "threesome" reasons in mind right? Thats bs

No, guys and girls (of any age group/gap) CAN be friends without any of the physical aspects. It wasn't my intention to say that can't happen. My reading of that character and his intentions, based on his behavior and introduction, gives me reason to doubt his sincerity for any kind of friendship that doesn't involve the physical aspects. It's been my own experience that anyone who would try to manipulate people based on their own outer attractiveness (his introduction), isn't too far away from taking that next step down 'that' path. (Not trying to be mysterious or obtuse, I'm trying to not be crass or straight up obscene).

I think he's just a bit of a narcissist. I don't think there's anything romantic or malicious involved, he just thinks each of them is individually super cool and subconsciously thinks he can raise his status by hanging out with these two really cool girls.

At least that's how it reads to me. He needs a humbling, but at the moment at least he's not actively bad.

It's a bit of both.

In lieu of a name, Jerkface makes clear in Chapter 13 that he approaches girls as a manipulator and is used to, "wrap a girl around my finger" (Chapter 12 pg 1 and 4). Even if the approach is non-sexual, he still expects girls to fulfill some personal service to him at their expense.

In his request to be "part of the fun" in a female only relationship, he prefaces his interest in Mitsuki's physical appearance as "hot" and masculine. Though his compliment offends, his attempt was to manipulate through flattery and a sense of "comrades among men" to get Mitsuki to "allow" him access to a close relationship between girls he is otherwise not privy to (Chapter 15 page 2)

His expectation may not be sexual per say (it's also best not to confuse romantic with sexual), but he is still using manipulation to use a relationship between girls for his own self-fulfillment. What he wasn't expecting was girls telling him no nor confronting him.

However, even in the confrontation he still manages to find self-fulfillment. There is nothing explicit sexual, but sexual isn't the only form of bodily and or psychological self-fulfillment. It's most often about having control. Otherwise, it's not friendship he's after and his actions remain in line with the sexual "lesbians are hot, let me join in" even if sex isn't the desire fulfillment looked for.

Is he irredeemable? No, not in general. But he's a jerk for sure and he may be irredeemable to others he may have hurt before.

I think it's a good time to bring up this ridiculous diatribe written against that side character dude for absolutely no reason

Ppl automatically thinking a male in a yuri means bad news gets on my nerves, like they fear any of the characters will magically change her preferences bc of his presence or some bs like that xd

Oh but when it turns up the male character is supportive everyone forgets that and starts with the "oh he is a yuri supporter like me!"

last edited at Sep 18, 2022 10:32PM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

UGHHHHH UGHHHHHHAHGGHHHGBBBBB VGHHHHUUAGGHAAAAGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

well spoken. I wish I could have said
it better myself. :)

ditto! UUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

RadiosAreObsolete posted:

I'd imagine her to be more the type to avoid participating in pe.

I thought the exact same with this part. as Mitsuki clearly doesn't like people and seems to try and be by herself and not noticed why are they now making her a sporty type person as well. Her persona is just all over the place. Not that I'm complaining as it just makes her hotter but it wasn't needed and kinda out of left field.

Idk i dont get this take, people arent just story tropes, theres plenty of people out there that are not very social but still sporty lol.

I wasn't really saying this because of story tropes, but because of my experience in school. From my own classmates, the more reserved ones, almost always didn't participate much in sports. And for Mitsuki in particular it seems a bit weird to me, since—as far as we know at least—she seems more interested in music, so I can't really imagine her to have been involved with sports outside of school either. Besides, the manga itself has no problem relying tropes and personality "types", so even from that perspective, I find the sporty thing to be a bit of a weird choice on the author's part.

While it's certainly more common, it's definitely not the rule. In my highschool there were a fair amount of people (myself and quite a number of others in my group of friends) who were both fairly athletic and fairly reserved and introverted as well. Speaking from my own experience, while I didn't particularly want to stand out, it was also pretty easy to get lost in whatever game we were playing and just focus on enjoying myself. As a result I actually ended up with a reputation for being nigh-impossible to hit in dodgeball, for example, despite not even trying to do anything to earn said reputation.

Screenshot_2022_0919_022805
joined Sep 19, 2022

RadiosAreObsolete posted:

I'd imagine her to be more the type to avoid participating in pe.

I thought the exact same with this part. as Mitsuki clearly doesn't like people and seems to try and be by herself and not noticed why are they now making her a sporty type person as well. Her persona is just all over the place. Not that I'm complaining as it just makes her hotter but it wasn't needed and kinda out of left field.

Idk i dont get this take, people arent just story tropes, theres plenty of people out there that are not very social but still sporty lol.

I wasn't really saying this because of story tropes, but because of my experience in school. From my own classmates, the more reserved ones, almost always didn't participate much in sports. And for Mitsuki in particular it seems a bit weird to me, since—as far as we know at least—she seems more interested in music, so I can't really imagine her to have been involved with sports outside of school either. Besides, the manga itself has no problem relying tropes and personality "types", so even from that perspective, I find the sporty thing to be a bit of a weird choice on the author's part.

While it's certainly more common, it's definitely not the rule. In my highschool there were a fair amount of people (myself and quite a number of others in my group of friends) who were both fairly athletic and fairly reserved and introverted as well. Speaking from my own experience, while I didn't particularly want to stand out, it was also pretty easy to get lost in whatever game we were playing and just focus on enjoying myself. As a result I actually ended up with a reputation for being nigh-impossible to hit in dodgeball, for example, despite not even trying to do anything to earn said reputation.

indeed, and in some cases you can't just sit out PE, like if it's for a grade. i certainly didn't get to sit out any PE class without medical certification. perhaps it was just a mandatory class, and since mitsuki already caught some people's eyes, her above-average athletics would get noticed easier.
(on top of that, if you're a musician you tend to need decent stamina if you plan to play in a band. it takes energy to look cool while playing music!)

3818_1775681535988481_4988113658273068935_n
joined Jun 15, 2016

UGHHHHH UGHHHHHHAHGGHHHGBBBBB VGHHHHUUAGGHAAAAGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(2)
IM CRYING MITSUKI PLS UUUGGGGHHHHH

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

Hahaha, notice it too when I checked again. Although, he still doesn't have an actual name till now. Poor jerk face, hope his not stuck with that name till the end of the story.

I've started mentally calling him Jeff

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Hahaha, notice it too when I checked again. Although, he still doesn't have an actual name till now. Poor jerk face, hope his not stuck with that name till the end of the story.

Not Jeff LMFAO

Let’s give him a japanese token-straight character name, like Ken

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Mitsuki misses the shot and the guy's comment surely is just meant to imply that Aya sees her through some rose-tinted glasses, not a factual statement. So I don't think there's specific indication she's particularly sporty in the first place ...

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Mitsuki misses the shot and the guy's comment surely is just meant to imply that Aya sees her through some rose-tinted glasses, not a factual statement. So I don't think there's specific indication she's particularly sporty in the first place ...

The way the scene is presented visually sure makes it seem like a graceful and ''cool'' moment, to me at least. The shot doesn't go in but everything about it screams that Mitsuki is surprisingly athletic, unless I'm reading it completely wrong.

joined Apr 10, 2021

"Oh wow (i.e. surprise, unlike how I thought) she's really athletic" "That's what you are thinking, right? I was thinking that too" doesn't seem like ironic.
But I guess this can be the next thing people write essays about

And for the love of god(?) Michael Jordan hasn't hit every single free throw he ever made. Missed a shot? Not athletic.

last edited at Sep 19, 2022 2:21PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The way the scene is presented visually sure makes it seem like a graceful and ''cool'' moment, to me at least. The shot doesn't go in but everything about it screams that Mitsuki is surprisingly athletic, unless I'm reading it completely wrong.

Agreed. I read that miss as just a slight twist on the "cool, athletic" trope we've seen a million times, where the ball goes in (or more often, the volleyball spike slams for a point). Throughout the series, Mitsuki isn't being being presented as the "surprisingly perfect outsider," just surprisingly better than expected--she missed the shot, but she's not useless at the sport.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

{Aya staring at Mitsuki during P.E]

The Dude™:

last edited at Sep 19, 2022 4:25PM

joined Mar 8, 2016

Agreed. I read that miss as just a slight twist on the "cool, athletic" trope we've seen a million times, where the ball goes in (or more often, the volleyball spike slams for a point). Throughout the series, Mitsuki isn't being being presented as the "surprisingly perfect outsider," just surprisingly better than expected--she missed the shot, but she's not useless at the sport.

I read it the same way you guys did - not that she's a secret ringer or aloof school prince, just that Aya's able to notice things now like, "She's actually kind of tall," "She has some coordination and looks pretty cool on the court." Mitsuki's whole thing wasn't that she was a physically-bereft bookworm, it was that she just didn't want to be noticed. So whatever skills she may have at sports, or school, or whatever, she doesn't show them unless she has to.

Bikko
joined Feb 17, 2022

{Aya staring at Mitsuki during P.E]

The Dude™:

Lmao, this is pretty good.

I would like to say that perhaps we are seeing things from Aya's point-of-view.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

Not Jeff LMFAO

Let’s give him a japanese token-straight character name, like Ken

hmmm, Jeff sounds right for him. I second Jeff to be his name. :D

joined Aug 22, 2022

I’m confused why there’s all this analysis on “she’s good at sport”.
She’s one of two people that run a business that has a lot of stock turnover in short periods. New album dropping means getting all the stock ahead of release, then setting it up in time for customers, and so on. That on top of normal restocking etc and you’re gonna either get a solid core or injure yourself.

“Trope stereotype oh noes”
Yeah, because butch women are super uncommon irl.

“She doesn’t want to stand out, so she should avoid participating in a class” because that’s not conspicuous…?
“Basic level of participation while looking basic” is the best way to coast in Japan, socially.

Why all the “discourse”?!?!

What’s this queer-Twitter “anyone can be whatever they want but not if it’s common or traditional” mishegas?

“LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE I AM!!! I DON’T APPROVE OF THINGS THAT CAN BE DESCRIBED WITHOUT NEOLOGISMS!!!”

joined Aug 22, 2022

This chapter just makes me think that Aya IS attracted to Mitsuki and she knows it, she is just too hurt about being lied to.

Well, yeah. That’s why she had that anxiety attack and couldn’t deal with looking at her for days.
We got to see her denial wall break, but she’s still in the five stages of mourning her (supposed) heterosexuality.

I HAVE FELT THAT FEEL.

last edited at Sep 19, 2022 7:55PM

Captura%20de%20pantalla%202022-06-19%20a%20la(s)%2023.19.48
joined Dec 21, 2016

The Dude™:

SO TRUE

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

She’s one of two people that run a business that has a lot of stock turnover in short periods. New album dropping means getting all the stock ahead of release, then setting it up in time for customers, and so on. That on top of normal restocking etc and you’re gonna either get a solid core or injure yourself.

“She doesn’t want to stand out, so she should avoid participating in a class” because that’s not conspicuous…?
“Basic level of participation while looking basic” is the best way to coast in Japan, socially.

What’s this queer-Twitter “anyone can be whatever they want but not if it’s common or traditional” mishegas?

“LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE I AM!!! I DON’T APPROVE OF THINGS THAT CAN BE DESCRIBED WITHOUT NEOLOGISMS!!!”

You are absolutely correct—you are very confused.

last edited at Sep 19, 2022 10:02PM

joined Aug 22, 2022

…about why someone would have a negative opinion of her being good at sport.

Fcolu7zauaqic2k
joined Sep 14, 2015

I swear to The Gods everyday this thread found a new silly thing to argue about

last edited at Sep 19, 2022 11:30PM

joined Jan 10, 2022

I swear to The Gods everyday this thread found a new shily thing to argue about

It's open, diverse and fun I guess. Shows how manga is well loved.

joined Feb 17, 2018

Jerkface sees Aya storming off in the last panel, so he knows or suspects she overheard them. He might really end up being the catalyst that gets them talking to each other huh

last edited at Sep 19, 2022 11:57PM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

What the hell? Why are people mad at "Jerkface?" So far he's only been helping them become actual friends. Even when he was introduced, he didn't even imply he would try to take Aya for himself after learning about her and Mitsuki. In fact, he's one of the few guys I like in a yuri setting. Am I missing something?

Someone give me the rundown because I don't want to read these paragraphs

last edited at Sep 20, 2022 3:55AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.