Forum › Shouraiteki ni Shindekure discussion

joined Jul 19, 2014

As usual, younger brother has more sense,

Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

I'm at Chapter 12 and I still don't understand the MC. Good chunks of this story are so cringeworthy I have to minimize the window on occasion just to process what just happened.

So why am I still attracted to this story? @_@

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm at Chapter 12 and I still don't understand the MC. Good chunks of this story are so cringeworthy I have to minimize the window on occasion just to process what just happened.

I’m not sure why you are attracted to the story, but I have a pretty good idea why I like it.

First of all, give up any notion of comparing this to real-life behavior—it would never happen, and even if it did, things would never play out this way—the authorities, school or police, would be called in sooner rather than later.

But in the skewed world that this story depicts, I find humor and pleasure in two things:

• Komaki’s stoical or bemused reactions to Hishikawa’s bizarre antics. The degree of latitude she gives Hishikawa indicates that she basically likes her (in the friend sense at least) and is trying indirectly to socialize her.

• Hishikawa’s attempts to rein herself in and to act “normal” (as she partially and inadequately understands the concept) are to me quite touching and rather endearing. (And the failures of those attempts are often quite hilarious.)

Overall I just think it’s funny.

Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

I’m not sure why you are attracted to the story, but I have a pretty good idea why I like it.

First of all, give up any notion of comparing this to real-life behavior—it would never happen, and even if it did, things would never play out this way—the authorities, school or police, would be called in sooner rather than later.

But in the skewed world that this story depicts, I find humor and pleasure in two things:

• Komaki’s stoical or bemused reactions to Hishikawa’s bizarre antics. The degree of latitude she gives Hishikawa indicates that she basically likes her (in the friend sense at least) and is trying indirectly to socialize her.

• Hishikawa’s attempts to rein herself in and to act “normal” (as she partially and inadequately understands the concept) are to me quite touching and rather endearing. (And the failures of those attempts are often quite hilarious.)

Overall I just think it’s funny.

I think Komaki is the reason why I'm sticking around. She has the patience of a saint...

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I'm sure everyone knows, but I just have to go pedantic on the credits description of Boke/Tsukkomi. The Tsukkomi is not a Western comedy "straight man". In Western comedy, the "straight man" is the butt of the joke. The Western funny man/straight man contrast sees the "funny" win out; the straight man gets bamboozled by the nonsense of the funny man. A Tsukkomi is the opposite--the "Boke" is more like the stupid man than the funny man. In Boke/Tsukkomi, the nonsense Boke comes first and gets corrected, straightened out, by the Tsukkomi; the forces of order win.

There is actually Western comedy that's like that--you can see exchanges with a certain Boke/Tsukkomi style in many sit-coms. But you don't call that stuff straight man/funny man.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm sure everyone knows, but I just have to go pedantic on the credits description of Boke/Tsukkomi. The Tsukkomi is not a Western comedy "straight man". In Western comedy, the "straight man" is the butt of the joke. The Western funny man/straight man contrast sees the "funny" win out; the straight man gets bamboozled by the nonsense of the funny man. A Tsukkomi is the opposite--the "Boke" is more like the stupid man than the funny man. In Boke/Tsukkomi, the nonsense Boke comes first and gets corrected, straightened out, by the Tsukkomi; the forces of order win.

There is actually Western comedy that's like that--you can see exchanges with a certain Boke/Tsukkomi style in many sit-coms. But you don't call that stuff straight man/funny man.

Objection: every description of Western duo comedy acts that I've ever seen makes the point that, despite the characters' names, the humor of any given act does not necessarily come from the "funny man" (or "banana man," a term I have only ever seen in historical discussions) at the expense of the "straight man," whose sarcastic responses may be the punchline of the joke. The character types are set, but their dynamic is at least somewhat variable.

• The straight man is stoical, conventional, knowledgable, reasonable.

• The funny man is eccentric, silly, unorthodox, uneducated or ignorant.

But either character can be the butt of a joke or bit, and it's by no means necessary for the funny man to "win," or for the straight man to be flummoxed at the end of the joke (although both results are certainly common enough).

last edited at Jul 26, 2022 11:51PM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Ahhh, this chapter kind of made me sad - for some reason out of all of the others - I though we would see a little give from Komaki here with the hug and hand holding and Hishikawa being a little vulnerable. The fact that we got nothing and she was pushed away really made me realise that these two aren't going to progress

The two guys have even gotten closer from this chapter alone than any of the actual main characters, I would not be surprised if we saw them going on a date in future chapters which will make Hishikawa even more jealous

I'm not sure how this will end, maybe with hishikawa being OK that she can't date Komaki? A girl comes along that is just as intense and they go out? (Probably not likely but it would be nice if Hishikawa could date someone who actually likes her in that way) but either way this chapter made me a bit sad for Hishikawa

last edited at Jul 27, 2022 2:00AM

joined Jun 5, 2018

SHUN, YOU MUST CONTINUE THE KOMAKI BLOODLINE

joined Jun 5, 2018

Ahhh, this chapter kind of made me sad - for some reason out of all of the others - I though we would see a little give from Komaki here with the hug and hand holding and Hishikawa being a little vulnerable. The fact that we got nothing and she was pushed away really made me realise that these two aren't going to progress

The two guys have even gotten closer from this chapter alone than any of the actual main characters, I would not be surprised if we saw them going on a date in future chapters which will make Hishikawa even more jealous

I'm not sure how this will end, maybe with hishikawa being OK that she can't date Komaki? A girl comes along that is just as intense and they go out? (Probably not likely but it would be nice if Hishikawa could date someone who actually likes her in that way) but either way this chapter made me a bit sad for Hishikawa

True, not sure how Id feel about them getting forced together at this point. Maybe Shuns role wil just be to make everyone happy unknowingly and then move on. Though I doubt that. I think it is clear set for the MCs to end up together, simply because it is a fictional story.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I agree that Komaki seemed willfully blind to what Hishikawa was doing and feeling. A little sad this time.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That amazingly detailed jigsaw puzzle, though... :D

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

That banana porpoise is one of the funniest things I've seen. Quite endearing.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

I've disliked Hishikawa through most of this series as she never stops yelling. But after this chapter as others have said I don't see how these two end up together at all. There is zero give and take with Komaki. And the nail in of coffin was def her pushing Hishikawa away at the start there. Going through possible scenarios on what could bring these two actually together my mind goes flat out blank. Komaki clearly feels zero for her. She blushes at the sight of a parfait yet gives zero reaction to the save/hug from end of last volume to start of this one. At this point every chapter here out is just gonna make me pity Hishikawa... Which I don't think I would ever do with how she acted so far through the entire series.

Dumshork
joined Mar 19, 2022

I like this because of its absurdity, but I honestly can't predict where this will go either, other than the standard manga status-quo-maintained non-ending. It's to the point of feeling like deliberate teasing without any intention of delivery to prolong the time until cancellation.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

I was thinking maybe next chapter starts with Komaki dreaming and she dreams of saving Hishikawa again and when she goes in for the hug she lifts her kisses her and then jolts awake in panic? Seriously I'm just trying to find a way to get these two together. And outside of her having some random awakening it's just not happening lol.

joined May 3, 2014

I like this because of its absurdity, but I honestly can't predict where this will go either, other than the standard manga status-quo-maintained non-ending. It's to the point of feeling like deliberate teasing without any intention of delivery to prolong the time until cancellation.

good that the comme section has more “progress” that this manga, when I jump to chapter 25 and read it it feel like one of thous manga that claims the yuri tag but has no yuri in it and only one sided feelings OH and goes NO WERE! like some one commented…..how the F are we gonna get thows two together??????????

OK so MAL says it has 43 chapters……maybe SOMETHING happens???

last edited at Jul 28, 2022 1:02PM

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

It WOULD be nice if Komaki gave hints here and there that Hishikawa is starting to grow on her in a potentially romantic way. It's not much of a ''will they or won't they'' if one of the parties involved only sorta tolerates the other at best (^^) They have fun interactions and all but I can't help but want a bit more out of it.

last edited at Jul 28, 2022 8:30PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It WOULD be nice if Komaki gave hints here and there that Hishikawa is starting to grow on her in a potentially romantic way. It's not much of a ''will they or won't they'' if one of the parties involved only sorta tolerates the other at best (^^) They have fun interactions and all but I can't help but want a bit more out of it.

Yeah, there’s a thin and pretty vague line in a high-concept (medium-high anyway) comedy manga between, “Look, this is just how this one works” and, “This doesn’t make a lot of sense even in the terms it sets up.”

I haven’t read the whole thing in a while, but as I recall, Hishikawa started out waaay over the top in her attempts to use money to buy her way into a (primarily lewd) relationship with Komaki, who in turn sent out signals that if Hishikawa would just act more like a normal person a closer relationship was theoretically possible. And, with help and advice from others, that’s sort of what Hishikawa has done, (or maybe partially successfully tried to do).

But the fact that Komaki appears so oblivious to what Hishikawa is doing and feeling makes it seem like she’s completely unaware of any romantic overtones to their connection at all. For instance, it’s as if Komaki has never even heard of the “feeding each other a taste” trope, so she can’t even conceive of what Hishikawa wants from her.

I guess “this is just how this one works” will have to do, at least for now.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Yeah, there’s a thin and pretty vague line in a high-concept (medium-high anyway) comedy manga between, “Look, this is just how this one works” and, “This doesn’t make a lot of sense even in the terms it sets up.”

I haven’t read the whole thing in a while, but as I recall, Hishikawa started out waaay over the top in her attempts to use money to buy her way into a (primarily lewd) relationship with Komaki, who in turn sent out signals that if Hishikawa would just act more like a normal person a closer relationship was theoretically possible. And, with help and advice from others, that’s sort of what Hishikawa has done, (or maybe partially successfully tried to do).

But the fact that Komaki appears so oblivious to what Hishikawa is doing and feeling makes it seem like she’s completely unaware of any romantic overtones to their connection at all. For instance, it’s as if Komaki has never even heard of the “feeding each other a taste” trope, so she can’t even conceive of what Hishikawa wants from her.

I guess “this is just how this one works” will have to do, at least for now.

Funny part, Komaki is even more abnormal than Hishikawa bc she doesnt even have a cellphone so her main source of knowledge as a teen is not present :v hence her obliviousness seems to be bc of that... Oh well this was funny while it lasted but Hishikawa was doomed from the start it seems

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Surprised she didn't try to bribe the teacher as well. I guess she's already learned from a previous attempt...

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

... right, she has money doesn't she. Can't be bothered to reread if I remember that right, but it feels like it didn't come up too many times after the initial chapters? Feels almost like a whole chunk of the premise that got thrown away.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

... right, she has money doesn't she. Can't be bothered to reread if I remember that right, but it feels like it didn't come up too many times after the initial chapters? Feels almost like a whole chunk of the premise that got thrown away.

She never really acts like your classic ojousama either, even for comedic purpose. The whole ''rich girl'' thing hasn't really gone anywhere.

StudentOfEtherium
Djp09ca4_400x400
joined Dec 16, 2017

i mean i think you could rationalize it along the lines of "since money couldn't get her love she's accepted that bribing people is pretty useless actually"

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

i mean i think you could rationalize it along the lines of "since money couldn't get her love she's accepted that bribing people is pretty useless actually"

Except that she tries to bribe her way into the seat next to Komaki in this very chapter.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Seems like donkey's years since I read this one, but it seems she's just as hapless.

To reply you must either login or sign up.