Forum › Hero-san and Former General-san discussion

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

Y'all zoomers got no concept of cringe. Bit a cheese and they go cryin' "cringe cringe" to the hills. Back in my day an archaeologist could punch nazis while rambling about cultural appropriation and we liked it.

Also, get off my lawn!

Ayayayahuasca
370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

This was fun, and very gay.
Glad I read it

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

Holy cow I've followed it for 4 years!? That was real shock to me.

And she turned herself into a meme, funniest shit I've ever seen!

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

...okay, not like I expected the ending to "make sense", but I was sure that girl that died in chapter 12 would somehow become relevant till the end of the series but I don't think she did, since she's surely unrelated to the meme girl.

joined Jul 8, 2019

What. A. Ride.

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

incredible series, love it, absolute masterpiece

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

I'm happy that this manga got us a satisfying conclusion, it's not often that we get a yuri manga that reaches 6 volumes and has a proper ending.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Awwwww. :D

joined Jan 13, 2021

This was one of the first yuri stories I ever read, and it's certainly quite moving to see it arrive at a conclusion. Sometime's a writer I find quite interesting, since there runs through a lot of their work, longer and shorter, an intent to play around with expectations of genre and appearance, not necessarily looking to 'subvert' them (a term that often tends to impose a false homogeneity upon the subject of its presumed overturn), but to texture them with queerness. This is manifested, of course, in their foregrounding of queer characters themselves, but this also extends into a wider illumination of queer readings and themes implicit in the conventions and appeals of a genre- in case of this story, the transforming sentai heroes who become truer and grander versions of themselves (I love how they yell "Trans Up!") in recognition of a common, generally outside threat such as aliens, are 'claimed' by queer characters who use them to protect their status quos, finding a sense of self and a place in the system by recognizing the virtues of humanity and working to protect it.

However, while an uncritical or simplistic application of this theme can be used to endorse conservative, pro-police and pro-military standpoints about protecting an imagined community from outsiders by donning a patterned uniform and joining a cause greater than the individual, Sometime also acknowledges that queerness is spiritually incompatible with such pro-establishment narratives ("Yuri Terrorism" is another charming, if tongue-in-cheek instance of their rebelliousness in this regard), since those very establishments have historically aimed to erase queer communities and people. Therefore, they present in this story the common queer desire to reclaim and integrate into these established narratives of 'protection' and 'service' to gain a sense of power and normalcy, but also alloy it with a willingness to challenge and complicate those narratives by asking, through the Antinoids, exactly what makes a 'monster'. Honey's defection serves immediately to shatter a simple human-good, Anti-bad binary, being not a midseason twist or a sixth ranger's gimmick, but the central thrust of the premise, a commitment right off the bat to avoiding narrow divisions of virtue and vice in favor of exploring the deeper motivations that drive people to align themselves with various causes.

Sometime's consistent humanization of the Antinoids, who indeed make up a bulk of the cast, makes it almost impossible to engage with the series via simple hero vs. villain lens, and the fact that the Antinoids, who grapple with a consistent sense of alienation, are further displayed to engage in interests and fields often taken up by queer people to find a sense of belonging and challenge popular narratives, adds a great deal of depth to the genre-staple-allegory. Melt's interest in playing around with biology and genetics as well as Kyouka and Cool's interest in fandoms, the latter especially finding her sense of humanity in media positively depicting queerness, allows for a spectrum of deeper readings alongside the standard toku action fun, while also directly helping improve the series' execution of those very sentai tropes leading into its moving denouement.

The traditional emphases on love, empathy, friendship and togetherness blown to epic proportions in the final chapter are classic messages of a genre generally aimed at children, which might feel cliched at first to a desensitized adult reader, but are lent an incredibly affecting authenticity by the series' aforementioned foregrounding and implicatures of queerness, because to people who've been consistently discriminated against, erased, othered and either excluded from or stereotyped by popular narratives, the ideal of an all-accepting love that moves beyond good and evil (endorsed verbatim by the series) is immensely cathartic and appealing. It may resonate therefore with particular force in the hearts of an adult queer reader precisely because it represents our hope that there may come a day when we may move on from the traumas and loneliness of our pasts to find communities that love and accept us for who we are, creating not merely a world where there's no need to transform, but a world attained precisely by our transformations, by 'transing up' and 'combining', a world where queer people may finally become themselves. Adding to this, the standard post-finale aftermath where the characters are shown to be leading quotidian lives is not a standard 'end of adventure', 'coming of age' denouement, but an utopic achievement, because a genuinely accepting 'normal' is so much harder for queer people to truly settle into, and so much more precious when it is achieved.

Sometime is thus able to masterfully deploy and interweave themes of queerness into the series at levels so deep that it goes beyond just being 'tokusatsu with lesbians' and is able instead to breathe into the tropes of the genre an entire micro-epic of queerness, lending it incredible relevance and vitality and letting it become every bit as cathartic, heart-pounding and inspiring as a more traditional sentai series might be to a child nostalgically looking back on the past. Sometimes, then, doesn't merely revive that past, but is able to actively reclaim it, to engage with the exclusionary tropes of a genre that may make queer viewers feel alienated and meaningfully challenge them, even as they also present us with queer heroes and queer optimism, allowing their characters to be more than heroes or villains firing at each other across lines in the sand. The transformations, combinations, costumes and explosions key to the genre are made delightfully camp, bringing to the forefront the implications of fluidity, transitions and fulfillment-in-cohesion that younger or less prudent viewers may have missed, even as those performances necessarily reveal the falseness of an absolute virtue and vice and emphasize instead authenticity in the moment and the interweaving of personal rhythms into a symphony that celebrates individuality, the masquerade that bursts joyously into unity and revelation. All in all, it works delightfully to not only recolor a popular genre in queer hues, but to assertively create within it a space for both subversion and expansion, and is a shining example of what a skillful 'queering' of a traditionally masculinist, cisheteronormative genre can achieve, making it both truer to itself philosophically and capable of socially-relevant reinvention. I loved this series, plan to reread it soon, and am also quite interested in Sometime's current Afterschool Re-Reincarnation, which seems to be aiming for a similarly innovative queer-rebuilding of the DQ-inspired-isekai genre.

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

X didn't get a girlfriend. Disappointed.

Cool was right there too

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Baby x is baby

@temp I love you

last edited at Jul 14, 2022 7:30PM

naschyamamoto
Alit%20rider%20kick!
joined Jun 22, 2022

The yuri power was overflowing, and the tokusatsu influence grew ever-stronger up until the fantastically bombastic finale. 10/10, what a wonderful ride this was.

Jpeg_20190202_220408
joined Mar 21, 2019

Four years reading this
Im going to cry, gonna miss this alot
Thank you for translate it for us (。・ω・。)ノ♡

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

Wow really, four years? I'm sad to see this go, but glad we got such a good ending... anime when

joined Oct 28, 2021

Good ending. Is Meme Hayate x Honey kid? Or is she a reincarnation?

joined Jul 7, 2020

binged that whole thing, great when you dont try to think about it too much

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Wow... four years sure fly...
Amway, a fair spoof of the Sentai genre with a good dosis of lillies.

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Good ending. Is Meme Hayate x Honey kid? Or is she a reincarnation?

As I understood, both.
I mean, they know someone who can create a child given the genetic material, so is not hard to believe they went that route and just so happen to get XX a new body to be in.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

There's only one way to express this comic.

GLORIOUS RESONANCE!

joined Mar 13, 2020

That a whole lot of words to say what doesn't feel like much of substance lol.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

temp r u ok? kamen rider isn't exactly cisheteronormative just sayin'

joined Jan 28, 2022

you can't convince me that Build and Cross-Z weren't at least a little gay

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Welp, this has been a wild ride that I have mostly enjoyed. I wish this kind of story was more common in the wild ocean of blushing schoolgirls yuri...

Dragonaz posted:

the 'modern-family ending' is expected, not that I'm complaining tho.

Aka the Nanoha way

This is the way.

Can we have an F for best girl Cool-chan?

She only got like one panel on the last chapter.

But at least she was doing the Evangelion "Congratulations!" thing in the panel, so that's... something? Anyway, F. :-(

Y'all zoomers got no concept of cringe. Bit a cheese and they go cryin' "cringe cringe" to the hills. Back in my day an archaeologist could punch nazis while rambling about cultural appropriation and we liked it.

Very much this. With a little practice, one can thoroughly enjoy the cheese, especially paired up with ham. :3

For the record in japanese meme is spelled メメ in katakana, which the tl mentioned looks a lot like XX. So it’s pretty clear what her true ending was

There is also the XX-shaped pin in her hair, which cannot be coincidence. :-)

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

X didn't get a girlfriend. Disappointed.

Cool was right there too

Right? Like wth! It made me pretty sad knowing that she had started a new life BUT at least she's loved and loves "everyone" this time around. Overall a good ending so I shouldn't complain. Lastly, thanks for translating this series over the years, we love you translators.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Battling lezbots save the world.
X didn't realise poly was the one true path to enlightenment.

To reply you must either login or sign up.