Forum › Hero-san and Former General-san discussion

joined Aug 21, 2017

This was one of the first yuri stories I ever read, and it's certainly quite moving to see it arrive at a conclusion. Sometime's a writer I find quite interesting, since there runs through a lot of their work, longer and shorter, an intent to play around with expectations of genre and appearance, not necessarily looking to 'subvert' them (a term that often tends to impose a false homogeneity upon the subject of its presumed overturn), but to texture them with queerness. This is manifested, of course, in their foregrounding of queer characters themselves, but this also extends into a wider illumination of queer readings and themes implicit in the conventions and appeals of a genre- in case of this story, the transforming sentai heroes who become truer and grander versions of themselves (I love how they yell "Trans Up!") in recognition of a common, generally outside threat such as aliens, are 'claimed' by queer characters who use them to protect their status quos, finding a sense of self and a place in the system by recognizing the virtues of humanity and working to protect it.
Sometime is thus able to masterfully deploy and interweave themes of queerness into the series at levels so deep that it goes beyond just being 'tokusatsu with lesbians' and is able instead to breathe into the tropes of the genre an entire micro-epic of queerness, lending it incredible relevance and vitality and letting it become every bit as cathartic, heart-pounding and inspiring as a more traditional sentai series might be to a child nostalgically looking back on the past. Sometimes, then, doesn't merely revive that past, but is able to actively reclaim it, to engage with the exclusionary tropes of a genre that may make queer viewers feel alienated and meaningfully challenge them, even as they also present us with queer heroes and queer optimism, allowing their characters to be more than heroes or villains firing at each other across lines in the sand. The transformations, combinations, costumes and explosions key to the genre are made delightfully camp, bringing to the forefront the implications of fluidity, transitions and fulfillment-in-cohesion that younger or less prudent viewers may have missed, even as those performances necessarily reveal the falseness of an absolute virtue and vice and emphasize instead authenticity in the moment and the interweaving of personal rhythms into a symphony that celebrates individuality, the masquerade that bursts joyously into unity and revelation. All in all, it works delightfully to not only recolor a popular genre in queer hues, but to assertively create within it a space for both subversion and expansion, and is a shining example of what a skillful 'queering' of a traditionally masculinist, cisheteronormative genre can achieve, making it both truer to itself philosophically and capable of socially-relevant reinvention. I loved this series, plan to reread it soon, and am also quite interested in Sometime's current Afterschool Re-Reincarnation, which seems to be aiming for a similarly innovative queer-rebuilding of the DQ-inspired-isekai genre.

I was going to post a meme reply but I think you are quite correct. I didn't realize it while reading the manga, but your argument that the story is deeply related to queerness really resonated (heh) with me, as a lot of what you mentioned about alienation, transformation, utopian normalcy, and so on in the manga align with what I understand about queerness and becoming accepted by yourself and your community, when I thought about it a little. Really great comment.

joined Mar 13, 2020

and pro-military standpoints about protecting an imagined community from outsiders by donning a patterned uniform

I won't comment on the rest but this part kind of feels a bit reductive given the people giving their lives in "patterned" uniforms to protect their independence and families in Ukraine right now...maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'm pro-military as long as people like Putin is around lol.

joined Jul 8, 2019

Good ending. Is Meme Hayate x Honey kid? Or is she a reincarnation?

yes

AToastyCoyote
Cdc4f8204600edbf52fb0f34f39b246a~2
joined Jun 27, 2018

Happy

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

Ahh now that was cute, still miss Cool Down :(

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

At least we have Moe-chan to continue Cool's legacy.

Tumblr_plvohxwphc1ulm2g8_540
joined Sep 25, 2015

Cool Down lives on in all of us.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

She lives in yu~
She lives in ri~

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

She lives in yu~
She lives in ri~

Still committing terrorist acts to this day.

Tmp
joined Jul 22, 2020

it's finally over... at least cool-chan will live on in our hearts...

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

Yuri power always wins!! Would’ve loved a kiss scene to really secure that end chapter but sometimes I guess you don’t need it haha

joined May 2, 2019

is meme the child of hayate and honey or adopted?

last edited at Jul 18, 2022 6:23AM

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

I loved this. Power Rangers got me into sentai shows and as I mentioned before, this isn't even a parody anymore, this captures it all too well. At the same time, adds its own little spin on things. "Theme" if you will.
It was extremely cheesy and in the best way possible. I enjoyed it from the start to the end. Hope there are some bonus/extra chapters.

_yuri_hime_14_clear_file
joined Oct 21, 2011

Meme is to X as Uub is to Buu

last edited at Jul 18, 2022 8:30PM

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

is meme the child of hayate and honey or adopted?

They know a couple who made a science baby before, so it makes sense they'd hook them up with one too.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015
New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Just finished re-reading this. Amazing all the way.

Popte_pop_54
joined Jun 25, 2019

Something about this entire series is just so sad on multiple levels.
Not in a bad way, but it doesn't spare with the punches.

last edited at Aug 3, 2022 6:39PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Volume 5 cover

Meme chan IN COLOR™

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

Thank you for this amazing manga!

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

Chapter 2 Ending - "Heroes have to end it with a finisher move" well played hayate, well played.

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

X is rapidly becoming my favorite character. Has absolutely nothing to do with her coat being cut off just enough to show off those glamorous legs.

Kyouka isn't that incompetent actually. In a 1 v 1 she would have beaten Rapid Rabbit... like pretty much any enemy would. RR is really carried by Honey more than anything lol

True, she must have had back pain from carrying that much - and those big titties.

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

«You mustn't follow any strangers!»

Honey was worried about what could happen to Hayate going out alone, alright... but what's with this kindergarten level of advice? lolol

Well, she followed strangers, so It was solid well know advice.

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

Isn't this almost all X's fault anyway for saying Honey was fired?

Nah not really, the change started already when Honey looked at Hayates real face.

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

Like i don't know ? Maybe if you didn't treat her like shit and didn't try to kill her multiples times she would have consider reach your hand. It's the trope of "I don't confess for a long time for x reasons and get sad when my crush found someone she love" push to an extreme and it's the same conclusion for me everytime, if you don't confess when you had the chance, you can't get upset you lose.
Anyway, what was the point of the antioids and X and all the villains things anyway ? Seem clear that the generals don't like fighting that much and even X seem to do all this shit purely to get Honey back now. What is even explain if there were heroes before Rabbit ? If yes what happen to them and if no then, what exactly guaranted the peace before ?

? The story is there pretty clear?
Nothing. But after their arrival on earth they created Rapid Rabbit in their try to make more antinoids. "They not like to fight" - first, you don't have to like your job. 2nd, the story explains that too, their arrival on earth changed Kyouka & Cool.

To reply you must either login or sign up.