Forum › Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki discussion

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Also:

Hatomori x Ruri

I didn't know that I wanted this but GOD do I want this to happen now

well, this manga DOES need a side couple...

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Probably the usual "suki", which is very ambiguous in Japanese.

Y'know, people always say this, but my experience was always that HS students in the U.S. use "like" in pretty much the same ambiguous way.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Y'know, people always say this, but my experience was always that HS students in the U.S. use "like" in pretty much the same ambiguous way.

Maybe although I recall that people were absolutely cognizant of the “like” vs “LIKE-like” distinction, i.e., “feel favorably” vs “romantically interested.”

More importantly, there really isn’t anything quite like the Japanese adolescent “official confession” ritual, where people announce “I like you” in quite the same way.

I recall it being something more like: a) find out if the person is already going out with someone, followed by b) find some way to express, “So, do you want to go out sometime?”

(That’s the Platonic ideal anyway—the reality generally entailed a lot more false starts and mumbling, if memory serves.)

joined Apr 28, 2019

on my knees begging for the side couple to be Hatomori and Ruri

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

uncertain posted:

Page 12 is interesting. On the one hand it looks like just the kind of a situation where the Japanese wording is intentionally ambiguous about who the "ya" is, but I also feel it as a suggestion that Miyako has gotten over Ruri.

I don't think Miyako ever had feelings for Ruri though, if that's what you're suggesting.

I just think that she doesn't want to be a burden to her ex-band members, especially Ruri. They have more than enough on their plate, running their idol career, so she doesn't want to add to their worries.

Her relationship with Asako is different. While Asako takes charge in the house, she makes sure Miyako does her share (at Grandma's request) and grows up.

So Miyako feels like it's someone she can rely on, without being a burden to her.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Heavensrun posted:

Remember it's two women here. So, saying to each other "I like you", in theory, shouldn't be taken as romantic, but as "I'm fond of this person".

You'll notice that only Hato and Ruri are shocked. It flies over the head of the others.

Hato, probably because she knows of Suga's orientation and of their relationship, and Ruri because she knows that Miyako never expressed that kind of feeling to anyone before.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

For your information, no new chapter next month. Next chapter is announced for 08/30.

Most probably in preparation for the release of volume 2 in July/August (6 chapters per volume).

I'll obviously buy it and translate the bonus chapter(s).

Tumblr_cee5b652f60d90ff709454b0003785ca_6809dc36_400-min
joined Sep 4, 2021

THEIR REACTION PLEASE IM GIGGLING SO MUCH ITS SO FUNNY but anyway thank you so so much to Kirin-kun for buying and translating for us ^^

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Brilliant chapter! It really delivered in resolving all of the drama accumulated over the volume. It seems Miyako can really finally let her idol past go. In the first volume she was conflicted with being her natural self. But Suga helped her with all those stalkers and blah. Now Miyako's certain that the band has survived the "divorce" safely and is not bitter about her leave. So now she can focus her life on whatever she wants. And that's where I anticipate we'll get into Suga's past shenanigans of some sort. Looking forward to the next volume... and to this volume extras of course))

1107caa0-b001-4ad0-a6c1-002016683af0
joined Jul 15, 2019

I love this series, it’s funny, embraces the ridiculousness of this concept, the “drama” is always handled well and never feels like a sudden tonal shift, and it just does it’s own thing. Even from the start having the protagonist be out of a relationship and just being a openly (albeit tired) lesbian wanting a break from trying to find partnership is really relatable, and so her warming up to just living with someone who doesn’t suck and (at least from her perspective) doesn’t need to be looked at in a way where they have to end up together. It’s obvious our leads are good for each other, but the progression feels natural even with the fact that them meeting was so sudden and outlandish, and so what I could see as beating around the bush and just being filler chapters in other series, here I’m just glad to see more of it (which my favorite series, Otherside Picnic does wonderfully, perfect mix of an adorable main couple and engaging story, mostly cause the plot is so cool, but then when I forget all about the romance side it comes back swinging). Instead of focusing on the same tropes I see everywhere, it makes the characters and the writing the focus, so that even when it uses things that at a first glance seem so typical, you don’t care. Hell, first hint of jealousy was over a plant lol, subversion at its finest. Another trope, grandma comes over to put a stop to this, and instead of me thinking “oh get it over with we know they won’t have to split” I’m just loving the way they react even if I know the resolution. The former idols not being complete jerks about stuff and not being a way to add drama is a really nice refresher, so many stories take that and just over complicate things. It’s also nice to have some genuine commentary on how some people who enter the industry aren’t cut out for the culture while still not getting too serious about it, and tying that into the group being there for each other outside of the industry was really sweet. And to top it all off they threw in some hilarious reactions to the adorable little interaction between the two idiots, if I didn’t already love this series enough, this chapter cemented that.

Sorry for the essay I’m just loving this series and wanted to express why in words real bad. :)
Also, possible side couple appears!

Screenshot%202021-01-25%20004222
joined Jan 17, 2021

The manga is really good. I like slow burning romance hehe. The subtlety of romance right now would be worth it once the two leads fall for each other.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

once the two leads fall for each other.

So... about chapter 3 or 4 at the absolute latest? I mean, Asako is pretty much gone from first sight, and Miyako is clearly there by that time as well. They only need to recognize that the feelings are mutual now. Well, that, and Asako still has some insecurities to overcome from how her previous relationships have treated her.

4a988c9f-5d1b-45ec-9cf6-77d69949c95c
joined Jul 30, 2022

I love this so cute i want more

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Caught up on this yesterday, and I still adore it! Love the buildup of the new leader as all menacing and stuff, like she starscreamed her way to the top, only to reveal she is fiercely protective of Miyako and the one most on her side in all of this was incredibly heartwarming. (Maybe even had/has a crush?)

On the other hand, the more we hear about Ayako's ex, the more genuinely awful she sounds, and the more Hato's own protectiveness makes sense. I don't know if I want this lady to show up again for the sake of catharsis, or for her to stay away so we don't have to deal with her rancid vibes in person.

joined May 1, 2015

Man, I just hope Asako doesn't leave if miss landlord confesses.
Miyako would not be able to handle it.

last edited at Aug 31, 2022 3:16PM

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

this is going in directions I really didn't expect.

In the opening chapters, Asako was kinda the protagonist. Her being gay was established, and her liking girls like Miss Landlord was established. I was SO certain this story was gonna go in the direction of her falling and us having to watch them slowly fall for each other

But no, instead she seems strangely more platonic while the LANDLORD is head over heels for her. Kinda cute.

Laminatestasis
Blushy%20(1)
joined Jun 14, 2022

this is going in directions I really didn't expect.

In the opening chapters, Asako was kinda the protagonist. Her being gay was established, and her liking girls like Miss Landlord was established. I was SO certain this story was gonna go in the direction of her falling and us having to watch them slowly fall for each other

But no, instead she seems strangely more platonic while the LANDLORD is head over heels for her. Kinda cute.

Agreed, for a mostly fluffy romance story, it's actually genuinely surprised me at times. I just started reading this series like last week looking for new ones to keep up on, so glad I got here just in time to wait for the drama T_T

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Miyako has been getting lessons from Hana between chapters. :D

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I was SO certain this story was gonna go in the direction of her falling and us having to watch them slowly fall for each other

I dunno, I feel like this is pretty much what I'm reading.

last edited at Aug 31, 2022 4:01PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I was SO certain this story was gonna go in the direction of her falling and us having to watch them slowly fall for each other

I dunno, I feel like this is pretty much what I'm reading.

Pretty much what we've had so far, yes. But now that Miyako has become aware of her own feelings, things have changed.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

We're quickly going places.

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

The only landlord i will root for.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I love the way things are going. I love that Miyako is aware of her situation and that she went all-in for the kill. I also very much appreciate that for a character that is depicted as very easygoing, carefree, and a tad airheaded, she's also capable, intelligent, and emotionally aware (for lack of a better term? I dunno, feels fitting). I feel that there are a lot of nice little surprises like this in the manga, where the writing and/or world/character building are better (and more interesting) than one would expect.

I liked the art style of this a lot to begin with, but the panels of sparkly mode Miyako were fucking gorgeous. Especially the first one with the wake-up call.

It wasn't subtle in the least, but I really liked the fireworks sequence and the parallels between the excited child and their father to Asako and Miyako - Asako's motherly/caring nature was again given prominence and shown that at the moment from her end, she very clearly views Miyako a lot more as sort of a child than as a woman. I'm looking forward to seeing this particular part of the plot unfold in the future, and with Miyako also getting a little bit of a reality check at the end there, I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes. I'm not too worried about drama, though. Honestly, I'm absolutely loving this manga.

last edited at Aug 31, 2022 4:58PM

joined Apr 3, 2021

I was not expecting Miyako to admit her feelings to herself. And I guess she’s picked up that Asako is gay. This is fun.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

That was fast. Was not expecting the plot to pick up such pace.

I am happy though.

To reply you must either login or sign up.