Forum › VAMPEERZ discussion

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Okay so which way is the story going here? Will Ichika actually kill Aria with the killing sword... or will Ichika end up being turned into a vampire herself to stay with Aria so she can make her happy? Because the whole "we had to die once before we could become a vampire" thing feels more like foreshadowing that something bad is going to happen to Ichika and Aria is gonna turn her to save her life.

Img_20190914_203449_543
joined Apr 14, 2020

I will go with "Something bad is going to happen to ichika, Aria turns her to save her life and they live happily forever after" route,

Imageedit_2_8608112332
joined May 12, 2021

I will go with "Something bad is going to happen to ichika, Aria turns her to save her life and they live happily forever after" route,

I love this, but as a fan of tragic endings might I propose this alternative: Ichika manages to kill Al-Kamil with the sacred sword but is mortally wounded in the process. Aria is hesitant to save her because of the risk and, even if the vampirification is successful, Ichika would be cursed to live forever. Ichika instead decides to stab Aria so, instead of living cursed lives together eternally, they die in each other's arms and can spend a more peaceful eternity together

last edited at Jun 27, 2022 6:26AM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I have been wondering if the author has been keeping the overall tone fairly light despite the subject matter so that a sad ending will hit harder. I just feel the "Ichika gets mortally wounded and turned to survive" would be way too predictable at this point with all the foreshadowing.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Can't we just do neither cliché and for example have the entire build-up be a fake-out in which Ichika sits down with Aria and Al-Kamil and they talk things out and then things are resolved and they live gayly ever after? ^^

joined Mar 23, 2022

I go for the most cliche ending possible so long as my babies are happy, also waiting for them to do the deeds.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I love this, but as a fan of tragic endings might I propose this alternative: Ichika manages to kill Al-Kamil with the sacred sword but is mortally wounded in the process. Aria is hesitant to save her because of the risk and, even if the vampirification is successful, Ichika would be cursed to live forever. Ichika instead decides to stab Aria so, instead of living cursed lives together eternally, they die in each other's arms and can spend a more peaceful eternity together

Thanks. I hate it!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

The comedy is too strong in this series to go with a tragic ending after all this.

And nothing wrong with a well-executed last resort vampirification. :P

last edited at Jun 27, 2022 10:06AM

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

That would have been 100X funnier if Aria had woken and they were all in the bed for the reveal.

Img_20190914_203449_543
joined Apr 14, 2020

Thanks. I hate it!

Thanks. Me too

Max Blackwell654
joined Jan 29, 2022

Damn Idk why i kinda laughed a little...ghika look so depressed at the last image

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Thank you for the team. This is probably is one of the more difficult chapter that as a non native speaker, has to encounter. My 2 years of Japanese in school plus working 4 years for a Japanese companies is still not enough. This chapter is loaded in complex information. You guys did an amazing job.

Just to clarify a few words when you read chapter 37. They are not spoilers, but rather about the transliteration of names and items. I invented none of them, they were printed and named by the artist. You can find the RAW and you will find the difference. So I am comparing the raw to the translation.

"Lilu" is actually spelt "Lil", pretty typical way of transliteration because Japanese Katagana words, mostly for foreign words, require vowel quality consonants to feel natural when pronouncing. Lila Lile Lili LiLo "LILU" Rira Rire....you get the idea. "Lil" sounds very odd and does not sound logical. (silent L)

Treasure sword is actually written as "Lil 殺し" ie, Lil Killing. There actually has no noun of that term, So it can be Lil Killing sword, Lil Killing Axe, Lil Killing wooden stake, etc. "Lil Killing" is the actual noun by itself. Of course, by now everyone knows that it is the treasure sword.

As written before, but a bit more details:

Aria is actually spelt as Alia, but the scanlation team retains the spelling as "Aria". it is too late to change it now, as we are already in the 37th chapter! Of course if you are a Japanese reader or speaker, it makes no difference. L=R, especially in katagana.
it does not matter. Aria is never a word for a name. Alia on the other hand, is a female name in a lot of Middle East country. She uses the time period of Babylon (modern iraq) and Elam (modern Iran) to calculate her birthday, so she must be a Sumerian, ie South Babylonian. And Yes, there are natural blondes in the middle east populations.

Al-Kamil Ghika is actually spelled Alcamirl Ghika. Romanian name is somewhat unique because on a casual situation the personal name goes first, while the family-house-tribe names go second. On the other hand in an official situation, the family-house-tribe name goes first, the personal given name second. (Alcamirl-sama). Despite being part of the Ottoman Empire for hundred of years, Romanian remained using their own naming convention under Ottoman Rule. Of course that does not mean Arabic-Turkish names were not used, they were just used but in Romanian naming convention. Again too late to change now, The author and the translator did do a correct job because Ghika is not Gika. Gika in a lot of languages is pronounced as Jika. Gh would be a voiced K.

So Ghika is her personal name. Anyone else who is an Alcamirl is related to her as a relative, a fellow royalty of the same house, or from the same tribe (including adoption or allies). Hence the line "Alia, the Alcamirls and Ghika...", or can be written as "Aria, the Al-Kamils, and Ghika". Al-Kamil, for the record, it is an Ottoman-Egyptian name.

Hope it makes some sense.

About the ending: I have no idea. But I have never read a Show manga that has a tragic ending, whether they are Yuri (including Stretch) or Lolicon. He also never has one of those it is a happy ending because they die and now have peace thing. Implicity is the most terrifying manga that I have ever read, not because it is a lolicon, but the story itself. It has the worst apocalyptic world setting that I have ever encountered. But he still managed to pull off a happy ending, for the four protagonists whom the readers for sure would have thought to meet a grim ending eventually. Instead, they escaped, also provided hope for humanity, while the most offending pedo-ring members got exactly what they deserved. Karma. When Show described that world as "There is freedom with no consequences, and there is also death", you know this will be a horror show.

last edited at Jun 30, 2022 12:04AM

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Denpa's English Volume 1 is out, the quality is tolerable. I buy and read every single official translation and the raw, and I would say the English is the weakest, while the Italian is the best so far. Interestingly sometimes when there is an ambiguous word that needs to be translated, all the official versions make the same mistake. For example, when Nozaki showed up for the first time, he was addressed by Ichika in all official versions as "Mr. Ozaki". In scanlation here it is "Uncle Nozaki". In RAW it is somewhere between Uncle or Old Man. Whatever it is, it is not Mr. All you need to do is to look at a couple of panels later and Aria addresses him as Nozaki -san. A different word.

The name Aria is also problematic. Is the spelling specifically given by Show for universal translation, or was given specifically when given to Egmont (German)? The Italian and English maintain it as Aria. But in 37 it is in black and white that the spelling is Alia, since it is Show himself put that inside the panel where a photo of her in exile and hiding with Sakuya wrote the title of the photo with the name spelling as Alia. Surely as Aria's closest and smartest servants, she cannot possibly misspelled her mistress name? So now the question is, did Show himself forget (after all, not until this point at 37, did Show need to spell out Aria's name) and write the wrong word (wrong being Alia), or Alia is right all along but at the time he did not pay attention and spell it as Aria for Egmont? Or finally, we can chalk it up that it is Sakuya's own spelling since these are the only documents we ever see that is in English? It is possible because she spelled Anatasia as Анастаiия as opposed to the correct spelling being Анастасия, who is most likely being the famous Russian Princess.

Quite why it has to be English I have no idea. Arthur is the only English Lilu that we know of. Kara is Indian, Shadi is Persian, Sakuya and Jirou are Japanese, Maoa is Chinese. We do not know where Aria is from, but there is a good chance that she is from the Middle East, perhaps a Sumerian or Babylonian, since she dates her birth according to the event in Mesopotamia. Everyone who dates their birth uses dates or events of their home country.

last edited at Jul 3, 2022 3:43PM

Goggled Anon
Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I'm inclined to believe that the romanizations used in ch37 were something Show made up on the spot cos he needed some fancy English for a couple of reasons. 1. He wrote down lilu as "lil" when lilu is the correct spelling, and 2. The name Al-Kamil shares its name with an Egyptian sultan, which falls pretty close in line with this character's heritage, whereas "Alcamirl" very much looks like Show just plonked アルカーミル into DeepL (which through my own testing comes up with "Alkermill") and turned some Ks into Cs to look fancy.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

I'm inclined to believe that the romanizations used in ch37 were something Show made up on the spot cos he needed some fancy English for a couple of reasons. 1. He wrote down lilu as "lil" when lilu is the correct spelling, and 2. The name Al-Kamil shares its name with an Egyptian sultan, which falls pretty close in line with this character's heritage, whereas "Alcamirl" very much looks like Show just plonked アルカーミル into DeepL (which through my own testing comes up with "Alkermill") and turned some Ks into Cs to look fancy.

Both can be ok, Al-Kamil (in the correct Arabic form) or Alcamirl (historical translation style where the hyphen is eliminated and then change some letters to make it more westernized and easy to pronounce). A good famous example is the great Kurdish leader Selahedîjust so n, which universally when translated to Arabic becomes Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn, and then from Arabic to Western (English) name as Saladin. Ibn Sina being spelled as Avicenna is another example.

It is still mind boggling that you, doing it as a fan and translate this for free, do a much better job than the official edition. The official translation did a better job into explaining certain stuff, but what it gains it loses the spirit of it, which is the comedy part. The spirit is much more important.

I have read this manga numerous times and every time I re-read it, I find something "new". Show is very careful about putting tiny, easily ignored detailed into his drawing. Every mystery does not just show up from nowhere, he usually put in some completely insignificant clue that you may never notice. The most obvious example is Sakuya's spying. You can also see the same thing to a much larger extent in Implicity, while a smaller extent in Prism. If there are things that shows up unexpectedly, there must be a clue somewhere before hand. All this means is that, back to the romanization, does he already have it all planned out when he draws the first panel, as if he has already have 40 chapters worth of storyboard in his head?
When Aria says Seikilos was her friend, I know this manga is going to be special. Me having a musicology education background, you have to be special to know that song. It is an extremely difficult to do a musical theory analysis on it because nobody can figure out what mode it is in. It just happens that I have some Koine Greek lessons from my seminarian days, plus I play the Lyre and did research on Byzantine music. More importantly, this is also a tiny clue that most people would not think about it other than thinking that it is an old song. But if you know the musicology, that means Aria is at least around 1900 years old. She cannot be younger than that otherwise Seikolos would have been dead by then. The other clue is that since the song was from Asia Minor, that meant Aria is familiar with that area and possibly from there. It would take close to 30 chapters that she gave us the next hint as in she was born around the time when Persia (Elam) conquered Babylonia. So that means at the very least she was from Mesopotamia. The translation is Ibbi conquered by Elam, not Elam conquered Ibbi; this means the chances of Aria as a citizen of Babylonia is much larger than being an Elamite. Ibbi being a name of the Babylonian king, which is the same way as Khara using an Emperor's name to date herself as opposed to the name of the Empire. Both Sakuya and Jirou uses the Emperor's reign-al years.

Speaking of which, how come Khara is not Kara? Also what is "Barnet" which Arthur was talking about in 36 when he gave his own history to Ichika? A weapon, or the battle of Barnet?

last edited at Jul 4, 2022 2:43AM

Goggled Anon
Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Speaking of which, how come Khara is not Kara? Also what is "Barnet" which Arthur was talking about in 36 when he gave his own history to Ichika? A weapon, or the battle of Barnet?

Khara we went with after it got used for a chapter title (which only arise in the tanks). Supposedly it's the Battle of Barnet, but it was only brought to my attention after the chapter got released.

last edited at Jul 4, 2022 8:25AM

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

First!
Seriously Chapter 38 is a really good chapter. 30 pages. The speed is perfect, not too slow (thus dragging) and not too fast. Again a lot of conversation between various characters. Goodled Anon, take your time! I am already yearning for Chapter 39 to come out. Show most likely has already turned it in, since according to his blog, he always sent in the chapter two issues ahead of the deadline.

last edited at Jul 18, 2022 9:04PM

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

I agree. Hopefully we see a cool upcoming battle soon

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

inb4 Al-kamil holds an insanely petty grudge against Aria for not buying her sweets when she was younger

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

A PLOF, is a condorito reference?

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

They go to a love hotel to hide out... Ichika drops hint so they can finally sleep together... And then the surprise on her face here just made me laugh so hard poor girls by the time this whole ordeal is over I foresee them not leaving a bedroom for a while LUL.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one that thought Al-Kamil was an exGF as well Ichika called her out pretty quickly one that one haha.

last edited at Jul 24, 2022 1:43PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So all contingencies covered, huh? The good-guys' plan is going to go like clockwork, I can just tell.

joined Jan 21, 2020

I agree. Hopefully we see a cool upcoming battle soon

Tbh this feels like the ending most vampire/immortality stories take but id much rather they find a way to "cure" her immortality. Not holding my breath for that tho cuz i dont think ive seen that happen in a single story ever (feel free to lmk if u know some)

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

So all contingencies covered, huh? The good-guys' plan is going to go like clockwork, I can just tell.

Dammit, you broke my sarcasm meter again...

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

inb4 Al-kamil holds an insanely petty grudge against Aria for not buying her sweets when she was younger

They've subverted this way too often already. Now I want the opposite; make it something completely messed up. I don't know, turns out that Aria murdered her entire village, then turned Al-Kamil, just to torture her for centuries afterwards. ^^

To reply you must either login or sign up.