Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

ah the Matsuri gay chapter where it is made as clear as possibly can be that Matsuri is 100% gay and in love with miss sunflower.

And I know many of you will be like "yeah no shit" but also it's always good when a story doesn't tip toe around the issue and tells us straight up "yeah this one is actually gay".

Nah, they gave it the "I'm not sure it's the same feeling they're talking about" out, allowing it to maintain its 'might pretend it was never gay at all in the ending or an epilogue' positioning.

no, that is not the story going "don't worry no homo" that is the story going "Matsuri has fallen in love for the first time in her life and doesn't quite know if this is indeed the feeling of romantic love that everyone talks about because she's never felt it before"

Well, there are the two opposing positions, set out fair and square.

It's clear that Matsuri has, at minimum, Single-Target Sexuality. Whatever "love" means for Matsuri, she feels that toward Miss Sunflower.

Using the standard of "the (massive) preponderance of the evidence," I think it is beyond unlikely that this series will ultimately position Matsuri's feelings as being just a passing phase, a mistaken crush, something she grows out of, etc. Though the story has depicted Matsuri as naive, over-enthusiastic, and sometimes a figure of fun, it has never trivialized her feelings toward Miss Sunflower.

The main question has always been, "What exactly are Miss Sunflower's feelings toward Matsuri?" The corollary to that is, "What is Miss Sunflower's sexuality?" Both of those remain somewhat open questions, but increasingly the only evidence we have is that Miss Sunflower definitely loves Matsuri (the precise nature of that love being the open part of the question), and in regard to the second question, we have been shown that the depth of feeling she has for Matsuri previously has been matched only by her feelings for the first Miss Sunflower, a person she increasingly associates with Matsuri.

(Of course, there's also Miss Sunflower's status as a cosmic-level girl-crush magnet, i.e., the female population is picking up some kind of signals, whether Miss Sunflower knows it or not. [She does not know it.])

joined Mar 21, 2017

Matsuri is too Precious.

joined Mar 23, 2022

welp all I wish for is, keep the gay cominggg, and may the gay force be with matsuri's ken

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Good lord I'm gonna have to check my blood sugar after that one sooooo sweet. I always dislike the smaller chapters for this but it was so nice to see Matsuri and Miss Sunflower spend some time together again. Though she mentioned entrance exams so still wont see much of them together if she's now studying for those I assume. And now that Matsuri has laid out that she loves her it's time for Miss Sunflower to start taking her a bit more serious and think more about Matsuri on that level. However I guess there's still what about 3 volumes left? Still plenty of time for that to sort itself out.

I just want my own little pocket sized Matsuri to keep with me at all times so when I'm feeling sad or depressed she can just cheer me up at the drop of a dime. She's just too perfect.

last edited at Jun 20, 2022 6:35PM

joined May 1, 2015

Matsuri won, no one can tell me otherwise.

lord-of-roses
Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Oh, man, I can't find the words to express how much I loved this chapter and what it did for how this manga presents and develops Matsuri's feelings.
It very much confirms she's gay, and keeps her love for Ms Sunflower from feeling like a phase or a non-romantic girly admiration thingy she'll later grow out of.

I also like how she seems unaware of her own effect on Ms Sunflower and how now she's getting to love her back.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Two points about that intro question:

1) Miss Sunflower fully accepts that Matsuri loves her--not that she says she loves her, or she thinks she loves her, etc.

2) This is the bog-standard "early relationship" question--"What is it that you like about me?" It's a key to understanding the other person's feelings, and can be an ego-boost (you get to hear a list of your own admirable qualities) or a reality check (you find out whether that person's idea of you is grounded in a version of you that you even vaguely recognize).

Put another way, it's almost like a marriage-interview question. And at the end Miss Sunflower has no problem with Matsuri saying she loves her, just "not so loud."

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

Matsuri is so precious on the color page

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I just wanted to say, my eyes saw the word "bakery" and my brain immediately read it as "bookery", so I can only conclude this as some kind of occupational disease type of thing of reading Miss Sunflower.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

1) Miss Sunflower fully accepts that Matsuri loves her--not that she says she loves her, or she thinks she loves her, etc.

2) This is the bog-standard "early relationship" question--"What is it that you like about me?" It's a key to understanding the other person's feelings, and can be an ego-boost (you get to hear a list of your own admirable qualities) or a reality check (you find out whether that person's idea of you is grounded in a version of you that you even vaguely recognize).

Put another way, it's almost like a marriage-interview question. And at the end Miss Sunflower has no problem with Matsuri saying she loves her, just "not so loud."

Agreed. I was thinking along those lines--you don't deliberately ask about someone's love for you if you don't have some level of acceptance of that love, even some interest in starting to explore it.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Also that blush.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Also that blush.

Really--recent chapters might as well have a big neon sign flashing "A Woman Coming To Terms With Her Feelings" over Miss Sunflower's head.

And let me say here how deeply grateful I am to the scanlators for their work on this series. I was really missing it during its hiatus and had started to give up hope for more. To be getting so many chapters in such quick succession feels almost miraculous, but I know it's really due to people's diligent and generous work.

joined Mar 18, 2016

Also that blush.

Really--recent chapters might as well have a big neon sign flashing "A Woman Coming To Terms With Her Feelings" over Miss Sunflower's head.

And let me say here how deeply grateful I am to the scanlators for their work on this series. I was really missing it during its hiatus and had started to give up hope for more. To be getting so many chapters in such quick succession feels almost miraculous, but I know it's really due to people's diligent and generous work.

Seconded. I'm super excited to see the development of Miss Sunflower's feelings and how it influences their relationship as Matsuri continues growing and moving towards her own future.

Everytime I see a new chapter of Miss Sunflower, my day automatically gets better. Thank you scanlators!! We readers appreciate you!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Aaahhh... I seriously attempted an oath to any deity who was willing to listen, something like "Please, I give you 10 years of my life if Ami and Miyako become a side pair" but alas it was not enough, I should've offered 20 at least, that's the price for such a miracle.

Or maybe I really lost 10 years and it was like
Unknown God: Best I can give you is "She's really cool like that"

last edited at Jun 23, 2022 10:09PM

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Miyako always been one of my favorite side characters love when she shows her tiny little self in a chapter <3

Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Oh good, another Ami chapter that'd make two.

That clash of the tinies was something else. As a short guy, I can testify that's exactly what we do when encountering another shorty.

I wouldn't have expected Miyako to have her own Matsuri. hell yeah for tall kouhai/short senpai pairings, though.

And apparently Ami and Nanako are gonna be a thing, now? Neat.

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

Small Editor x Tall Editor, the new potential power-couple!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That is one shiny Nanako.

Battle of the shorties! :D

last edited at Jun 24, 2022 8:36AM

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Even worried Ami has this strong smug aura. It's nice her friends can notice her true fellings.

Uohh
joined Mar 19, 2014

cute and funny editor

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

The height competition gave me a chuckle. :3

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

Cute sisterly love. Fuuko just isn't honest.

last edited at Jun 26, 2022 10:18PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

HAHAHAHAHAHA I love page 8 xD Shut up and keep studying !!! Lo/

Yet she went out of her way to help her, that's sweet too

joined May 1, 2015

These Kasamatsuri sisters are something else.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

"Problem".

To reply you must either login or sign up.