Forum › Yuri is Taboo to a Yuri Otaku discussion

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

mutual misunderstandings

carlosraruto
Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

Since someone else pointed it out, I can't get over how this ISN'T a parody of S-class tropes.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yuri_is_taboo_to_a_yuri_otaku_ch11#4

"The mysteriously long path from the main gate to the school building" sounds like a parody to me. So there is some lampshading here and there

last edited at May 27, 2022 2:49PM

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

I dont know what the hell is going on anymore. Maybe I am geting old.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

saltyslug5561 posted:

You're not alone.

The confusing plot and the haphazard translation makes that manga unintelligible.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

The fact that I'm in utter confusion every chapter and just want to see the gyaru be big gay for the useless lesbian otaku is why I am hooked on this manga

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yuri_is_taboo_to_a_yuri_otaku_ch11#4

"The mysteriously long path from the main gate to the school building" sounds like a parody to me. So there is some lampshading here and there

True, but there are SO MANY other opportunities that have come and gone to take the piss out of the characters, tropes, and setting esp with nerd-ass Watanabe as the protag. I'm not saying it SHOULD be a gag parody manga, I'm just surprised it never has become one I suppose. Or even just added more depth to everything beyond the surface level 'fancy all girls school' setup. Not bad, just interesting.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I feel like an entire manga plot just got crammed into a dozen or so pages and it wasn't even an especially interesting one. Wish this series focussed more on the parts of it that aren't just rote adherence to incredibly outdated yuri tropes. The amount of time dedicated to boring souer bullshit would be a lot more forgiveable if it WAS parody even if parodying that has also been an outdated cliche for ages.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

^ Wait a minute, I have been seeing this as a parody all along. I'm curious as to why you guys don't think so.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

^ Wait a minute, I have been seeing this as a parody all along. I'm curious as to why you guys don't think so.

It's definitely a parody, it's inserting modern Yuri into a world of vintage Yuri. It just isn't winking to the reader or taking a piss

Received_330739178846629
joined Jan 15, 2022

SUSPICIOUS LOOKING LITTLE ANIMAL

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

What if Gyaru-chan claims Jimiko-tan openly in front of everyone???? Would the jimiko faint away at all the yuri?

joined May 29, 2021

I'll be honest I have never had ANY idea what was going on with any of the secondary characters. I basically drowned out everything else and only paid attention when the Gyaru and Plainy were together or talking about each other.

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

I hope they add the new girl turns out to be a lesbian siscon since that's quite popular from what I remember.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Oshibani Girls Academy, teaching da gay and making da Yuri since 1869

last edited at May 27, 2022 7:48PM

56756a8ca295773eef97b31175f282b3
joined Sep 8, 2020

The series feels like it's playing too many of the tropes straight to be a good parody. A good parody requires both a love or the source and a willingness to poke fun at the source material.

While I can tell the author is writhing this from a place of love, at times certain tropes feel almost sacred and beyond criticism.Some tropes are played straight for the sake of playing them straight, without adding anything to the original trope. Many common tropes are merely lampshaded, no letting reality ensue or looking at what a trope like this would actually imply.

That said, a whole lot of this manga reads like its trying to be a parody, only just missing the mark. Watanabe kinda rockets past being a relatable otaku and ends up being just a terrible person. It's a fun comparison to the popular "villainous" MC's, as the girl actually is as manipulative and selfish as they often are supposed to be. Yoshioka basically steals the show as the eventual protagonist, as readers kinds stop caring about Watanabe's current obsession and instead are rooting for Yoshioka to ruin the plans just enough to make progress with her crush.

If I had to pick a singular problem, it's that the whole setting feels too close to Watanabe's perfect, vanilla yuri paradise, even when we aren't seeing things from her perspective.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

The series feels like it's playing too many of the tropes straight to be a good parody. A good parody requires both a love or the source and a willingness to poke fun at the source material.

While I can tell the author is writhing this from a place of love, at times certain tropes feel almost sacred and beyond criticism.Some tropes are played straight for the sake of playing them straight, without adding anything to the original trope. Many common tropes are merely lampshaded, no letting reality ensue or looking at what a trope like this would actually imply.

That said, a whole lot of this manga reads like its trying to be a parody, only just missing the mark. Watanabe kinda rockets past being a relatable otaku and ends up being just a terrible person. It's a fun comparison to the popular "villainous" MC's, as the girl actually is as manipulative and selfish as they often are supposed to be. Yoshioka basically steals the show as the eventual protagonist, as readers kinds stop caring about Watanabe's current obsession and instead are rooting for Yoshioka to ruin the plans just enough to make progress with her crush.

If I had to pick a singular problem, it's that the whole setting feels too close to Watanabe's perfect, vanilla yuri paradise, even when we aren't seeing things from her perspective.

Bingo bango, you nailed it. I like this series quite a lot, it just doesn't go as hard in either a dramatic or comedic direction for a lot of folks, myself also included. I just can see so much potential going unused.

last edited at May 27, 2022 8:27PM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

That is pretty valid criticism. Actually made me think about how lightly i’ve been treating the story so far... It is true that much of its potential is kinda fading in the background while we get some random development straight out of a yuri filled with tropes with characters so stereotypical it ends up being hard to create any sympathy towards them.

I have hopes that these issues will be fixed soon tho. That’s why I’m willing to ignore these flaws for now. I think the series is already at its 18th chapter (in japanese), so maybe there is some development in store. Let’s hope. Let’s hope.

7277b022-9e31-4bec-a22e-b7ad36fb501e
joined Sep 5, 2019

This is when i realize if this was an actual dramatic yuri series that whole sister thing could have been it’s own character arc, anyways things are progressing tho.

PineconeJuice
Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

I enjoy reading this series.
But I won't lie this twin sister plot twist (It's like some super move from a fighting game or smthing) was so dumb. Also, I always had issues with this manga having characters that weren't the main girls who were hard to really follow or identify. When they introduced one of the twins I thought "oh she kinda stands out I think I'll be able to remember her" only for the manga to tell me there are two of them. Both look identical.

As for the talk about issues and such, I think this manga has an identity problem. It doesn't really know what it wants to be.

But again, I enjoy reading this. Although I'll be blunt that if I had to pay for this, I'd easily and without regrets tap out.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

So glad I'm not the only one who's eyes are glazing over going through this, just waiting to get to the main protags.

Not that I dislike the series or want to criticize the translation, but because otaku + gyaru are the main characters: being pushed into side characters, the pacing and the somewhat rushed nature of the source content's plot (not to mention, the style of drawing makes it hard to find anything 'eye-catching'), and other small factors worded better in posts above mine make it hard to follow. The past few chapters I've honestly just scanned the pages and plots but if you quizzed me on names or much about the Souer system at large, I'd fail.

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

I didn't expect that Yoshioka would become my favourite character back when this started. Usually the trendy girl is kind of meh to me, but she's super earnest and kind AND became determined to get the girl (who is a silly brick) after inadvertently being awoken to the lily side.

...The secondary characters mostly don't interest me and I have trouble telling them apart, tbh. orz

joined Sep 16, 2014

The school might be a yuri fest but honestly, Yoshioka's just a lesbian

joined Aug 21, 2017

I didn't expect twins, but I guess I'm glad the whole thing resolved quickly.

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Yessssssss. The push we needed for progress.

As to the comments about not liking the side characters taking over, it was 2 chapters for the twins that were used directly to push the plot along.

As I've seen it, the "side character chapters" are the vessel used to make the two mains come together. Yoshioka and Watanabe are always in them, interacting with these characters, and gaining insight of themselves from these interactions. Could it be done better? Sure, but it's not focusing on the side characters to the detriment of the main couple, try and look at the bigger picture than just the focused lens.

last edited at May 28, 2022 8:14AM

joined Apr 14, 2022

As to the comments about not liking the side characters taking over, it was 2 chapters for the twins that were used directly to push the plot along.

I feel like this is missing the complaint pretty badly. Every chapter has been about a side couple for quite a while now, not just the twins. Which is, I guess, the whole theme of the manga - the main character just wants to watch other yuri couples, so we get to watch other yuri couples. But they're so bland that I literally can't distinguish half of them, and making your main character into a mob who doesn't participate in her own story is... a bold gambit. It reminds me of Kindred Spirits on the Roof, actually, but that did a much better job of executing on the concept, IMO.

but it's not focusing on the side characters to the detriment of the main couple

I'd argue it pretty much is. I'm not going to go count but it feels like Watanabe and Yoshioka tend to only get 3 or 4 pages of focus per chapter, and I find myself rapidly clicking next page through every chapter until they interact in some form.

I will give credit, though, it's amazing how hard Yoshioka manages to carry this. It seems like almost everyone commenting is still reading just for her, myself included.

last edited at May 28, 2022 9:58AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.