Forum › Yuri is Taboo to a Yuri Otaku discussion

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

A little OT but, these last chapters reminded me why I normally hate the sœur system: it's a very heteronormative way of dealing with yuri relationships. It denies girls romantic feeling and forces them into a pseudo-sisterhood that's supposed to last until graduation.
In the end, it's just a cheap way of making a yuri story without actually committing to it.

I'm so glad these kinda stuff got phased out in the years and nowadays we can have ACTUAL sapphic love represented.

/ Boomer rant over.

23-n%20(1)
joined Dec 10, 2020

Now lets see how long Fuyu can draw this out before becoming yuri herself.... :3

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

This manga isn't that interesting when it focuses too much on the others relationships tbh

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

A little OT but, these last chapters reminded me why I normally hate the sœur system: it's a very heteronormative way of dealing with yuri relationships. It denies girls romantic feeling and forces them into a pseudo-sisterhood that's supposed to last until graduation.
In the end, it's just a cheap way of making a yuri story without actually committing to it.

I'm so glad these kinda stuff got phased out in the years and nowadays we can have ACTUAL sapphic love represented.

/ Boomer rant over.

Every time someone said "sister" or "sisterhood" this chapter I was struck with a vivid reminder of why I'm glad this genre is basically religated to the domain of satire.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

/ Boomer rant over.

Every time someone said "sister" or "sisterhood" this chapter I was struck with a vivid reminder of why I'm glad this genre is basically religated to the domain of satire.

I have the strong impression that the “soeur” system trope is always ultimately a reference to/takeoff on Marimite; i.e., something that isn’t taken as really existing in real life or even as a trope independent of its specific textual origin. The fact that the second major use of the trope, Strawberry Panic, is pretty clearly a Marimite parody/piss take (as well as homage) suggests that the trope’s risible underpinnings were clear from the start.

I mean, the “two girls meet cute when the senpai straightens the kouhai’s tie” trope can be deployed seriously once; after that it’s a reference, probably accompanied by implicit or explicit snickering.

last edited at Apr 29, 2022 9:18AM

LittleWhiteHerz
Kohanenomintense2
joined Jul 21, 2020

I hope it focuses a bit more in Watanabe and Yoshioka now, they are so cute together!

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

/ Boomer rant over.

The heck is Hetero normative about girls forming a bond?

joined Oct 22, 2021

/ Boomer rant over.

The heck is Hetero normative about girls forming a bond?

I must be misremembering marimite (which seems to be one of the most popular example of this trope, though there was also Onisame E, and few others), but these were very gay, just with the understanding that "hey, we have to pretend to be normal and this is how we do it"

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

"If the heart thumping gets found out and Yoshioka falls in love with me our feeling for each other would be mutual and we'll end up becoming yuri..."

Oh no

Anyway

joined Mar 19, 2022

Why is this raging lesbian so opposed to becoming yuri anyway? Just kiss already.

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

Why is this raging lesbian so opposed to becoming yuri anyway? Just kiss already.

"I know I like her and I think she likes me, but I'm a mob so can't be Yuri. YAY low self-esteem!"

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Is their relationship going to be the only real yuri one? I feel like all the others are part of the sœur system and are playing a role that Watanabe interprets in a yuri way, but since Yoshioka and Watanabe are not sisters in the system, then whatever develops between them can't have that ambiguity.

last edited at May 11, 2022 12:50PM

Roodypatooti
Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Watanabe looks real cute with her hair up.

Oof for yoshioka tho…

Screenshot_726
joined Dec 2, 2017

To fully understand yuri one must become yuri.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

I present you to LOW SELF ESTEEM

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

So much doki doki action this chapter :0

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Good thing Yoshioka is not as useless as Watanabe.

Dynasty
joined Mar 17, 2022

I'm sorry Watanabe, but this is indeed yuri.

joined Oct 9, 2011

Stop resisting, and fall for her already dang it!

Fishbowl%20man
joined May 6, 2018

It's the whole focus on the passing of the torch. Modelling a lesbian relationship as sisterhood is, eh, I guess, but the way graduation plays into it kills the yuri dead.

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

what having a low self esteem does to a mofo

"bruh i dont want to find my own happiness im not that important to the story"
fails to realize she is the main character

last edited at May 11, 2022 3:26PM

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

"This is not yuri", said the girl so gay that lilies sprout from her footprints...

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

we are yuri, yuri is within us, inside us, yuri is us

breath in the yuri, breath out the yuri

C-Claire-sama... /////

Ayayayahuasca
370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

AAAAAA SHE FUCKED IT UP
YOU HAVE WHAT YOU WANT RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, JUST HAVE TO SEE IT AND TAKE IT

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

AAAAAA SHE FUCKED IT UP
YOU HAVE WHAT YOU WANT RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, JUST HAVE TO SEE IT AND TAKE IT

Strong enough to have it all..... BUT TOO WEAK TO TAKE IT!

last edited at May 11, 2022 4:42PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.