Violetpfp
joined Aug 12, 2021

best supportive uncle

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

I see who influenced her then. Got two hottie in the family goddamn,,,

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Given that we're talking about jp metal stuff, here's a dump of lesser known metal bands from jp i found over the years:
黒夜葬, Galneryus, Imperial Circus Dead Decadence, 5150, Denkare, Yousei Teikoku, Powerless/MuryokuP, UtsuP, Nocturnal Bloodlust, Matutinum Miserabilis, UI-70, まぐなむお~ぱす, Onmyo-za, Pearls Before Swine, Pizuya's Cell, Dragon Guardian, Yakui the Maid, Takamachi Walk, IRON ATTACK!, UNDEAD CORPORATION, i-chan, Unlucky Morpheus, Piece Of Rain, Vanitas Vanitatum, Caz, Diabolic Phantasma, Hone Your Sense, S.S.H
I tried to only put metal bands here, but some non-metal ones might have slipped by, also most of those are really hard to find. there are some pretty known ones tho. Some vocaloid stuff, some touhou stuff, some dead bands, sorted in no particular order, but most have at least something interesting to listen to.

One of the best band names I've come across is "Oral Cigarettes"

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Given that we're talking about jp metal stuff, here's a dump of lesser known metal bands from jp i found over the years:
黒夜葬, Galneryus, Imperial Circus Dead Decadence, 5150, Denkare, Yousei Teikoku, Powerless/MuryokuP, UtsuP, Nocturnal Bloodlust, Matutinum Miserabilis, UI-70, まぐなむお~ぱす, Onmyo-za, Pearls Before Swine, Pizuya's Cell, Dragon Guardian, Yakui the Maid, Takamachi Walk, IRON ATTACK!, UNDEAD CORPORATION, i-chan, Unlucky Morpheus, Piece Of Rain, Vanitas Vanitatum, Caz, Diabolic Phantasma, Hone Your Sense, S.S.H
I tried to only put metal bands here, but some non-metal ones might have slipped by, also most of those are really hard to find. there are some pretty known ones tho. Some vocaloid stuff, some touhou stuff, some dead bands, sorted in no particular order, but most have at least something interesting to listen to.

One of the best band names I've come across is "Oral Cigarettes"

I'm afraid to ask what the alternative to an oral cigarette is...

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Faust posted:

Astraea Hill posted:

There are a lot of heavy rock / metal groups in Japan which also get quite a bit of attention internationally - ones that I like include:

Band Maid
Nemophila
Lovebites
Mary's Blood (though going on hiatus)
Mutant Monster
[...]

dule333 posted:

, Galneryus, Imperial Circus Dead Decadence, 5150, Denkare, Yousei Teikoku, Powerless/MuryokuP, UtsuP, Nocturnal Bloodlust, Matutinum Miserabilis, UI-70, まぐなむお~ぱす, Onmyo-za, Pearls Before Swine, Pizuya's Cell, Dragon Guardian, Yakui the Maid, Takamachi Walk, IRON ATTACK!, UNDEAD CORPORATION, i-chan, Unlucky Morpheus, Piece Of Rain, Vanitas Vanitatum, Caz, Diabolic Phantasma, Hone Your Sense, S.S.H

Alice Chesire posted:
There's also Unlucky Morpheus, Aldious, and LOVEBITES which are all great bands I never seem to see mentioned in conversations like this. [...]

Idk anything about this topic but just thought I'd point it out, might make you feel glad to see two of the bands you like have received recognition from earlier posts :)

Good to know. Also I apparently need to relearn how to read seeing as I managed to miss those two getting mentioned, lol.

joined Apr 29, 2021

Daym uncle he be shipping He have a yuri heart eh

joined Apr 17, 2022

If you like your metal a bit more on the extreme side Japan has you covered too.
Sete star sept, Goninishu, Gallhammer, Sigh, Abigail, Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation, Gotsu Totsu Kotsu, Transgressor, Zombie Ritual, Defiled, Sarugutuwa, Birushana, Heterogeneous Andead.
Just to name a few.

joined Apr 17, 2022

I’m not up on fashion so can someone tell me: Is Gothic a subset of grunge or is grunge a subset of gothic fashion?

Neither. Grunge is Grunge and Gothic is Gothic. There will be a little overlap in some things but that is how it is in most subcultures. Both came from Punk more than anything .

There will of course nowadays be people who switch between them but they're generally there for the fashion rather than the subculture itself.

last edited at May 9, 2022 4:31PM

Nyoron
joined Apr 30, 2020

Very cute! Looking forward to see more. Also, I really like the generous splash of green used in the background.

joined Jan 20, 2022

Moreee, damn!

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Everything is always better with more queer rep thrown in the mix tbh

(not even remotely true, what with bad representation, but it's the thought that matters)

That woulda been a great story though, transmasc who's not out at school. But this still works, and is very cute and good.

Eh. Stories about trans characters are definitely nice, and there need to be more of them, but it's also good to have stories about androgenous characters or just characters who prefer to dress more like the opposite sex for comfort and aesthetic reasons, without actually being trans.

What gets me about this is literal decades of this "not actually trans" androgynous or othered gender presentation has been present in manga. And it has been present while cozying up to / or sometimes blatantly for the purpose of, transphobia, to the point where you can't give them the benefit of the doubt that they are like, positively portraying diverse gender expression lol. I would actually need to see like markedly more trans narratives to begin with, just in like a niche little space for one, and then when like the few canonically trans characters in major shounen / mainstream anime do show up , their fanbases treat them as such, secondly. Otherwise, its still the status quo of trans people not actually existing (I'm still a man ad nauseam), where "comfort and aesthetic reasons" sounds like a permutation of "why cant you just be a feminine man" when it more clearly suggests an intersection of expression AND identity (given "comfort" in particular).

That's to say nothing to worry about here, but yeah, hard butch yuri is hard to come by regardless so happy to maybe see some of that at play here. apologies for autism paragraphing.

There are definitely ... problems with how trans characters are represented, both in the yuri niche and broader media, and there definitely needs to be more representation, but I don't think it's fair to then say the depiction of butch or androgynous women is taking away from trans representation. This is doubly true in Japan, where the Takarazuka Revue has been a thing since 1914 ... is what I want to say, but a quick look at their history and ... yeah.

Their look has definitely inspired a lot of stuff, but they have some issues.

If you like your metal a bit more on the extreme side Japan has you covered too.
Sete star sept, Goninishu, Gallhammer, Sigh, Abigail, Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation*, Gotsu Totsu Kotsu, Transgressor, Zombie Ritual, Defiled, Sarugutuwa, Birushana, Heterogeneous Andead.
Just to name a few.

I repeat "Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation". That is a name. ...

Are they any good and what's their music like?

joined Apr 17, 2022

Sete star sept, Goninishu, Gallhammer, Sigh, Abigail, Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation*, Gotsu Totsu Kotsu, Transgressor, Zombie Ritual, Defiled, Sarugutuwa, Birushana, Heterogeneous Andead.
Just to name a few.

They're an all female death metal/grindcore band, so I'd say they're an acquired taste.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Everything is always better with more queer rep thrown in the mix tbh

(not even remotely true, what with bad representation, but it's the thought that matters)

That woulda been a great story though, transmasc who's not out at school. But this still works, and is very cute and good.

Eh. Stories about trans characters are definitely nice, and there need to be more of them, but it's also good to have stories about androgenous characters or just characters who prefer to dress more like the opposite sex for comfort and aesthetic reasons, without actually being trans.

What gets me about this is literal decades of this "not actually trans" androgynous or othered gender presentation has been present in manga. And it has been present while cozying up to / or sometimes blatantly for the purpose of, transphobia, to the point where you can't give them the benefit of the doubt that they are like, positively portraying diverse gender expression lol. I would actually need to see like markedly more trans narratives to begin with, just in like a niche little space for one, and then when like the few canonically trans characters in major shounen / mainstream anime do show up , their fanbases treat them as such, secondly. Otherwise, its still the status quo of trans people not actually existing (I'm still a man ad nauseam), where "comfort and aesthetic reasons" sounds like a permutation of "why cant you just be a feminine man" when it more clearly suggests an intersection of expression AND identity (given "comfort" in particular).

That's to say nothing to worry about here, but yeah, hard butch yuri is hard to come by regardless so happy to maybe see some of that at play here. apologies for autism paragraphing.

There are definitely ... problems with how trans characters are represented, both in the yuri niche and broader media, and there definitely needs to be more representation, but I don't think it's fair to then say the depiction of butch or androgynous women is taking away from trans representation. This is doubly true in Japan, where the Takarazuka Revue has been a thing since 1914 ... is what I want to say, but a quick look at their history and ... yeah.

oh no i never meant to imply its taken away just that here we have that kind of representation instead which is nice in itself.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I know this is just me being negative but I'm kinda scared of how good and popular the reaction was with this manga, with just a few chapters with few pages and we're almost 10 pages in the forum.

To put it in perspective (based on date of publication), YagaKimi took like 4 months and 4 chapters to have this many comments! I can't tell people to calm down or lower your expectations because everyone is just having a good time talking nicely, but it is frighteningly impressive.

Maybe everyone (me included) just really love the color green.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

Except, of course, that it wasn't, as you can clearly see from the Recently Added page showing them all together uploaded yesterday.

I usually look up the recently added on the prior pages on the main site. this is what I meant.

Main page shows chapters based on release dates, the recently added page lists them based on the dates they've been added to the site here, with release dates listed as well. In this case they all were added on the same day, but have three different release dates.

oh. so it kinda operates differently. I thought it was the same.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

the color green reminds me of this wholesome manga which is way different

last edited at May 10, 2022 12:29AM

Received_330739178846629
joined Jan 15, 2022

I love green very much~

xxcindybeexx
Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

Goth girl can easily pass off as her five o’clock shadowed uncle with a black permanent marker instead of girly makeup.

I’m not up on fashion so can someone tell me: Is Gothic a subset of grunge or is grunge a subset of gothic fashion?

Without being able to see the color of her clothes, I don't think we can say she's a goth. I think rock girl fits better.

I would say she is a rocker at least but probably more of a metalhead based of off the black widow album and how heavy it is

they say at the beginning that the girl...mitsuki? the clerk, dresses all in black. so with the black nails pretty sure she likes goth

and blows my mind people are starting to not know about/haven't heard foo fighters or nirvana. they were both so huge, when i was younger you'd be weird for NOT having heard at least one of their songs lol. and this is not the first manga where highschoolers like this kind of music from america. beck was ALL about that vibe lol. if someone discovers the type of music nirvana and foo fighters fall under, there's no question they'd eventually run into those bands.

last edited at May 10, 2022 1:49AM

E. Vigée Le Brun
joined Jun 8, 2021

I know this is just me being negative but I'm kinda scared of how good and popular the reaction was with this manga, with just a few chapters with few pages and we're almost 10 pages in the forum.

To put it in perspective (based on date of publication), YagaKimi took like 4 months and 4 chapters to have this many comments! I can't tell people to calm down or lower your expectations because everyone is just having a good time talking nicely, but it is frighteningly impressive.

But most of the comments are people bickering about rock and metal... :/

joined Apr 17, 2022

Goth girl can easily pass off as her five o’clock shadowed uncle with a black permanent marker instead of girly makeup.

Without being able to see the color of her clothes, I don't think we can say she's a goth. I think rock girl fits better.

I would say she is a rocker at least but probably more of a metalhead based of off the black widow album and how heavy it is

they say at the beginning that the girl...mitsuki? the clerk, dresses all in black. so with the black nails pretty sure she likes goth

Nirvana hoodie, baggy jeans and chucks, she dresses in 90's grunge fashion. Painting your nails black and wearing black doesn't make you a goth, there is a lot of crossover in alternative scenes so you have to look at the sum of the whole. I wouldn't say she's a metalhead at all either as she mainly seems to be interested in Nirvana and The Foo Fighters, so it makes sense that she's interested into that side project album outside of liking metal.

Pfp2%20(3)
joined Apr 26, 2022

They're an all female death metal/grindcore band, so I'd say they're an acquired taste.

one of my fave grindcore bands the lead singer just released a small project as well

last edited at May 10, 2022 5:13AM

Pfp2%20(3)
joined Apr 26, 2022

green is cool but man do I just love alt girls

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Galneryus

I have no idea why anyone would consider Galneryus lesser known, especially on Dynasty, seeing how they did both the OP and ED of Mnemosyne.

Pfp2%20(3)
joined Apr 26, 2022

But most of the comments are people bickering about rock and metal... :/

but and hear me out...what did you expect from metalheads and rockers

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

xxcindybeexx posted:

While black nail polish is a stereotypically goth thing, it's also pretty common in several other scenes including punk. And while it was definitely less common in the past, there's some people who just wear black nail polish because they want to and aren't associated with any specific subculture or fashion style.

To reply you must either login or sign up.