Forum › Posts by Es0terical

joined Apr 17, 2022

Wow, alright -- what a way to build community! What's wrong with trying to connect with others who share a keen interest with this manga and create more of a fluid discussion? Sounds like you're just a ~bitter queen~ looking to create hostility and discord (no pun intended).

Also, my pronouns are she/her.

Psst wlftchtr82 ... don't look now ...
You mistook your sockpuppet for your main account ...

What happened??

wlftchtr82 created an account only to call for our forumites to leave Dynasty and go to his Discord server. He also made a sock account, trikotri, to voice support for himself. Maybe he made more: trikotri is the one obvious sock, you just have to take a look at the posting history to realize it, but there are others very recent accounts (all created in the last weeks) that have been playing chorus to wlftchtr82 and may be socks too.
H A U S warned us about wlftchtr82 and "his" spin campaign, to which wlftchtr82 replied with insults and claimed to identify with the pronouns she/her. However, in his hurry, he messed up and posted the message as trikotri... with the hilarious result that we now have at the top of the page the post by H A U S talking about wlftchtr82 and immediately after that the post by trikotri replying "how dare you talk about me like that" which truly is worthy of a laughing gif. XD

Is this thread turning into "What does the fox say" again...

joined Apr 17, 2022

Well that's valid af tbh.
But hey, what do you mean by heavier? If you'd like to send some recs...

Oh i started listening to a lot of Death, Black and Doom metal. When i was younger people would always say that tastes in music will change (guess its the early, its not a phase mum). I found that it expands instead, i still listen to 80's soft/classic rock, grunge/alt and metal as well as a lot of more ambient or folk works that i got into a lot later.

It's good to see younger people get into older stuff and even better to see it portrayed in Manga like this.

joined Apr 17, 2022

Shy announcement

There is a Discord server to talk about this manga now. The forum can get too confusing when ppl are fired up and Discord allows you to search for words in the messages.

https://discord.gg/cQW8hrmsk6

(Currently having a Foo Fighters listening party. This one is for the alt people out there)

A pity i don't like the Foo Fighters post The Colour And The Shape :p

You don’t?????????? But Wasting Light is so nice. I get of you, reconsider. Try listening to “Walk” and “These Days”, it’s neat

They changed their sound after "The colour" to what i thought of as being a more generic rock sound. My music tastes got heavier after that too but i still like to go back sometimes and listen to Nirvana, AIC and Soundgarden. I'll check out your recommendation though later today.

joined Apr 17, 2022

Shy announcement

There is a Discord server to talk about this manga now. The forum can get too confusing when ppl are fired up and Discord allows you to search for words in the messages.

https://discord.gg/cQW8hrmsk6

(Currently having a Foo Fighters listening party. This one is for the alt people out there)

A pity i don't like the Foo Fighters post The Colour And The Shape :p

joined Apr 17, 2022

P.S: No one here noticed that Mistuki’s tattoo is probably an Arctic Monkeys tattoo? It’s , like, half of the AM album cover. (I can’t attach images for some reason but… yeah)
Realised it on my 3rd read, I was thinking I saw this tattoo somewhere

Maybe, but sound waves have been used on numerous things.

The artic monkeys cover is just two AM waves.

The only iconic ones I can think of are Arctic Monkeys and Joy Division. Her tattoo looks like an AM wave, but I don’t think she’d just pick this as a tattoo for random reasons (someone who owns band merch a.k.a is up to date with their logos wouldn’t get a random tattoo). My bet is that she also digs Arctic Monkeys. Alt girl being alt. Tumblr aesthetic, etc.

Even if it's not from that album cover it's still music related either way.

I was a 90's alt teen (tapes, radio and magazines), what is the tumblr aesthetic?

(quick rant)
the "tumblr girl" aesthetic is basically a soft grunge style. dark tones, band t-shirts, ripped jeans, flannels, combat boots, tattoos, piercings and a lot of black mascara. the e-girls nowadays are kinda reviving it but the "tumblr girl" from the 2010s is just... different. it's very "rocker" and indie inspired.
outside of fashion, this aesthetic mainly focused in alt/indie rock bands like arctic monkeys, the 1975, radiohead, oasis, etc, and for the ones not really into (pop) rock, lana del rey.

here's some vid refs: https://youtu.be/I0ws480H_Hs ; https://youtu.be/eChWBSGeRR4 ; https://youtu.be/gjv0F_3yrWE
(they mention the problematic parts of this whole aesthetic, so... TW)

i was a tween in the early 2010s so I remember it very well. sometimes I have war flashbacks of 2014 tumblr, that's why I thought of the AM tattoo

Sounds like 90's alt fashion just with more modern technology. Like it's not that far off in terms of clothing choices. I had combat boots as a teen and in my 20/30's

last edited at May 21, 2022 1:48AM

joined Apr 17, 2022

P.S: No one here noticed that Mistuki’s tattoo is probably an Arctic Monkeys tattoo? It’s , like, half of the AM album cover. (I can’t attach images for some reason but… yeah)

The only iconic ones I can think of are Arctic Monkeys and Joy Division. Her tattoo looks like an AM wave, but I don’t think she’d just pick this as a tattoo for random reasons (someone who owns band merch a.k.a is up to date with their logos wouldn’t get a random tattoo). My bet is that she also digs Arctic Monkeys. Alt girl being alt. Tumblr aesthetic, etc.

Even if it's not from that album cover it's still music related either way.

I was a 90's alt teen (tapes, radio and magazines), what is the tumblr aesthetic?

last edited at May 20, 2022 9:04PM

joined Apr 17, 2022

last edited at May 20, 2022 3:53PM

Es0terical
joined Apr 17, 2022

Saho-san has extremely cute expressions.

joined Apr 17, 2022

Uncle just has cool vibe. Rock music people tend to be chill considering how queer folks like Prince, Freddie Mercury, Janis Joplin, etc were

Also this yeah, rock has always had awesome queer icons (Freddie has been a personal favorite of mine since I was like...8 or so?). Plus the uncle is a tattooed music store owner, I doubt he's one to care about fitting into the "norms" of society regardless of his sexuality.

While there are some great queer icons in the rock and metal scenes there are still alot of homophobic people in them as well sadly.

joined Apr 17, 2022

I keep re-reading this manga, the themes around music really resonate with me, reminding me of when i was growing up. At the risk of showing my age, i was a teen near the end of the grunge scene in the 90's, just replace Nirvana with Soundgarden as my band of choice. The music really resonated with us, the disillusioned in life. It really helped alleviate the teen angst while also solidifying it at the same time. These themes arent pushed in your face but they are there in the background of this manga.

last edited at May 10, 2022 7:03PM

joined Apr 17, 2022

green is cool but man do I just love alt girls

Alt girl sums her up style.

joined Apr 17, 2022

Goth girl can easily pass off as her five o’clock shadowed uncle with a black permanent marker instead of girly makeup.

I’m not up on fashion so can someone tell me: Is Gothic a subset of grunge or is grunge a subset of gothic fashion?

Without being able to see the color of her clothes, I don't think we can say she's a goth. I think rock girl fits better.

I would say she is a rocker at least but probably more of a metalhead based of off the black widow album and how heavy it is

they say at the beginning that the girl...mitsuki? the clerk, dresses all in black. so with the black nails pretty sure she likes goth

Nirvana hoodie, baggy jeans and chucks, she dresses in 90's grunge fashion. Painting your nails black and wearing black doesn't make you a goth, there is a lot of crossover in alternative scenes so you have to look at the sum of the whole. I wouldn't say she's a metalhead at all either as she mainly seems to be interested in Nirvana and The Foo Fighters, so it makes sense that she's interested into that side project album outside of liking metal.

joined Apr 17, 2022

Given that we're talking about jp metal stuff, here's a dump of lesser known metal bands from jp i found over the years:
黒夜葬, Galneryus, Imperial Circus Dead Decadence, 5150, Denkare, Yousei Teikoku, Powerless/MuryokuP, UtsuP, Nocturnal Bloodlust, Matutinum Miserabilis, UI-70, まぐなむお~ぱす, Onmyo-za, Pearls Before Swine, Pizuya's Cell, Dragon Guardian, Yakui the Maid, Takamachi Walk, IRON ATTACK!, UNDEAD CORPORATION, i-chan, Unlucky Morpheus, Piece Of Rain, Vanitas Vanitatum, Caz, Diabolic Phantasma, Hone Your Sense, S.S.H
I tried to only put metal bands here, but some non-metal ones might have slipped by, also most of those are really hard to find. there are some pretty known ones tho. Some vocaloid stuff, some touhou stuff, some dead bands, sorted in no particular order, but most have at least something interesting to listen to.

If you like your metal a bit more on the extreme side Japan has you covered too.
Sete star sept, Goninishu, Gallhammer, Sigh, Abigail, Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation*, Gotsu Totsu Kotsu, Transgressor, Zombie Ritual, Defiled, Sarugutuwa, Birushana, Heterogeneous Andead.
Just to name a few.

I repeat "Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation". That is a name. ...

Are they any good and what's their music like?

They're an all female death metal/grindcore band, so I'd say they're an acquired taste.

joined Apr 17, 2022

I’m not up on fashion so can someone tell me: Is Gothic a subset of grunge or is grunge a subset of gothic fashion?

Neither. Grunge is Grunge and Gothic is Gothic. There will be a little overlap in some things but that is how it is in most subcultures. Both came from Punk more than anything .

There will of course nowadays be people who switch between them but they're generally there for the fashion rather than the subculture itself.

last edited at May 9, 2022 4:31PM

joined Apr 17, 2022

Given that we're talking about jp metal stuff, here's a dump of lesser known metal bands from jp i found over the years:
黒夜葬, Galneryus, Imperial Circus Dead Decadence, 5150, Denkare, Yousei Teikoku, Powerless/MuryokuP, UtsuP, Nocturnal Bloodlust, Matutinum Miserabilis, UI-70, まぐなむお~ぱす, Onmyo-za, Pearls Before Swine, Pizuya's Cell, Dragon Guardian, Yakui the Maid, Takamachi Walk, IRON ATTACK!, UNDEAD CORPORATION, i-chan, Unlucky Morpheus, Piece Of Rain, Vanitas Vanitatum, Caz, Diabolic Phantasma, Hone Your Sense, S.S.H
I tried to only put metal bands here, but some non-metal ones might have slipped by, also most of those are really hard to find. there are some pretty known ones tho. Some vocaloid stuff, some touhou stuff, some dead bands, sorted in no particular order, but most have at least something interesting to listen to.

If you like your metal a bit more on the extreme side Japan has you covered too.
Sete star sept, Goninishu, Gallhammer, Sigh, Abigail, Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation, Gotsu Totsu Kotsu, Transgressor, Zombie Ritual, Defiled, Sarugutuwa, Birushana, Heterogeneous Andead.
Just to name a few.

joined Apr 17, 2022

It's funny how the drummer from Nirvana looks like the singer from The Foo Fighters.

Es0terical
joined Apr 17, 2022

My biggest apprehension is if this counts as yuri, then I have no clue when yuri starts and stops, and as someone who wants to read stories about gay women being in love, or at the very least implied to be in love, then the usage of yuri, with this stories idea of it, to find that becomes useless.

I kinda understand that which is why I feel like rather than remove tags there should be more added instead. After all tags are there to help us refine our search by either inclusion or exclusion. Adding in an aromantic tag for example will both allow readers to include or exclude manga that doesn't fit their preference of what makes a story a yuri or not.

last edited at May 5, 2022 12:47AM

Es0terical
joined Apr 17, 2022

Im personally fine with the yuri tag, it's the romance tag that feels kind of out of place for me.

last edited at May 3, 2022 6:38PM

Es0terical
joined Apr 17, 2022

I guess I'm asking what an asexual romantic relationship looks like.

Romantic feelings without a sexual element to them, we desire close companionships that you don't get from just a friend.

I think Pieta kind of hits close to what I'd consider an asexual romantic relationship.

I once asked a friend if he had to separate the romantic and sexual elements of his relationship, what would go where? And surprisingly he put things like cuddling, hugs and handholdings in the romantic part, tbh i didnt even expected him to mention them to begin with... tho the reason he gave was "its something i wanna do with her all the time but its not exciting enough to make me wanna do it just from it alone hahahaha..." the answer was longer than that but i think this was the only part that matters

So maybe there is that...

I'd agree with him, I've never thought of those elements as related to sexual attraction.

You can even do sexual activities without sexual attraction.

last edited at May 3, 2022 4:29PM

Es0terical
joined Apr 17, 2022

I guess I'm asking what an asexual romantic relationship looks like.

Romantic feelings without a sexual element to them, we desire close companionships that you don't get from just a friend.

I think Pieta kind of hits close to what I'd consider an asexual romantic relationship.

Es0terical
joined Apr 17, 2022

Reading the comments I'm getting a lot of allos mad Yuriko's aro/ace characterization was maintained and respected rather than being "cured" (I literally cannot think of a better word to use) of her aceness and realizing romantic feelings for Matoi.

Your mean Aro-ness dont you? Asexuality just relates to sexual attraction not romantic feelings.

Es0terical
joined Apr 17, 2022

As an Ace possibly Aro person the ending felt lackluster to me, but i also don't know it could have been made better.

Es0terical
joined Apr 17, 2022

Just want to point out that physical contact repulsion is not the defining trait of Asexuality, it can be a trait but it doesnt define it. I'm Ace as well and can do physical contact, i love cuddling; just not sex.

last edited at Apr 17, 2022 9:51PM