Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Normally I dont much like when they use one bold colour like this but I think here it looks great and really works with the art style! Its very dynamic and a bit pop art, drawn really well too.

I like the setup and characters too! Hope it moves on from the misunderstanding fairly quickly tho.
Not that I mind it but I think it seems like the writer can do better than a tropey manga.

last edited at May 5, 2022 7:32PM

Pfp5
joined Dec 6, 2021

lmao, of all places to hear music debate, its in dynasty scans lol. I don't really listen to Nirvana or Foo Fighters besides like a few time years ago. I'm more into the prog metal/djent and math rock scene, but I think both bands are good and really cool they are referenced here.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

lol nirvana, what a joke

anyways i cant wait for more

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Lesbians AND good music taste?

Hell yeah!

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I can't believe Nirvana is on a Japanese highschool girls play list. Kurt Cobain passed away at least 10 years before she was even born. I could maybe buy Foo Fighters, but I'm not sure how big they are in the overseas market.

joined Sep 13, 2018

I really like the nerd girl's style, I doubt this manga will develop into too much beyond it's initial premise (Mostly short chapters and we don't even have names orz) but it'd be nice if it did develop a bit more.

joined Apr 10, 2021

I can't believe Nirvana is on a Japanese highschool girls play list. Kurt Cobain passed away at least 10 years before she was even born. I could maybe buy Foo Fighters, but I'm not sure how big they are in the overseas market.

The entire point here is that she doesn’t listen to what others do, she says that. The other girls in her group don’t recognize the bands at all.

You think there can’t be one japanese schoolgirl in all the country with western music taste to make a doujin around?

I also had something else here but I deleted it, wooo

last edited at May 5, 2022 8:32PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

The entire point here is that she doesn’t listen to what others do, she says that. The other girls in her group don’t recognize the bands at all.

You think there can’t be one japanese schoolgirl in all the country with western music taste to make a doujin around?

Your absolutely right. But it's weird. It would be like finding an American highschool kid who is into a Japanes rock band from the early 90's

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The coloring in this reminds me of Lilium Terrarium, even if that series did a bit more with it's monotone (and a few accent colors). I wish more manga used this style, because it can be really striking and allows for some flexibility that the typical black and white lacks. (I still remember reading Samaria Deeper and thinking it was really silly to have his eyes changing color act as an important character trait in a black and white medium.)

There was that manga about a teacher(iirc) making a deal with Jimi Hendrix's ghost, so who knows? Also, I suspect modern streaming services make it a lot easier to discover foreign music and there are segments of Japan that have a fascination with American culture in much the same way that America has segments that are fascinated with Japanese culture.

2232-2
joined Nov 13, 2017

"New" could be a remastered re-release of a previous album or a compilation of unreleased material. There are companies that do this kind of thing and milk a dead artist until they run dry, just look at Jimmi Hendricks who apparently released more albums dead than he did while alive.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Love this author/artist! Very fun start and I'm excited to see more.

Your absolutely right. But it's weird. It would be like finding an American highschool kid who is into a Japanes rock band from the early 90's

It's definitely not impossible and more likely than you might think in this age of the internet, where media can be shared across the world to and from any country, for anyone of any age.

Edit: Thinking about it I'm someone around the ballpark of 30, who was listening to out of the norm bands from various countries, Japan included, that nobody else I knew was listening to back in my early teenage years. All thanks to the power of dialup internet. So I'm not even sure why this is a debate...

last edited at May 5, 2022 8:59PM

LittleWhiteHerz
Kohanenomintense2
joined Jul 21, 2020

Honestly i've barely heard these bands, but the premise is interesting and the art is cool so i'll keep reading lol

Dynasty Reader
joined Sep 7, 2021

XD This is crazy but I like it.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Oh my goooooddd this is ALREADY SO GOOD

joined Jul 6, 2021

When I was a high school kid (2007-2011) (and I'm American) I listened to German rock bands from the 80s, Soviet Red Army Choir, French music from the 60s, and such and such.

It isn't common to find high school kids in America into stuff like that and I was indeed considered weird (esp since I had no clue what other kids were listening to). I bet high school me would have liked this manga.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well well well... look who decided to show up! lo/ I'm loving this so much hahaha, I mean she looks sooooooooooooooooooo cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!! KYAAAAA

I love foo Fighters!!! I'm not a big fan of Nirvana but I have some of their songs in my pc!!

Heart Shaped Box and The man Who Sold the World for example

As for Foo fighters, I have entire albums xD

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

It's definitely not impossible and more likely than you might think in this age of the internet, where media can be shared across the world to and from any country, for anyone of any age.

Edit: Thinking about it I'm someone around the ballpark of 30, who was listening to out of the norm bands from various countries, Japan included, that nobody else I knew was listening to back in my early teenage years. All thanks to the power of dialup internet. So I'm not even sure why this is a debate...

It's also important to know it might be from an older relative

When I was a kid in the 90s I only listened to things from the 60s and 70s. I was the weird outlier in my school, cause I lsitened to mostly classic rock from England, cause that's what my dad listened to.

Screenshot_20220712-194055_tachiyomi%20(1)
joined Jun 22, 2013

What there's more?! I read the first chapter awhile back and thought was it and was legit kinda sad wanted more.
Glad there's more and it's uploaded here.

Clipboard%20image%20(3)
joined Nov 11, 2018

My friends and I listened to early 90's J-rock bands all the time in high school due to anime influence and it's not even a fair comparison considering the likes of Nirvana and Foo Fighters are world-renowned bands with far more exposure in the global market.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Love this author/artist! Very fun start and I'm excited to see more.

Wasn't really debating. I guess I was just a bit incredulous about two Japanese highschool girls bonding over a 30 year old American rock music. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool. I always like seeing American culture in manga. it's just weird

joined Sep 6, 2018

I’m hooked. I’m sticking with this to the end. It took four short chapters to catch my interest, and maybe the translations releases will be similarly sized.

Her previous one shot was a good introduction to her fantastic artistry, so I’m pleased to see this series here. More please.

The M Machine
8tc1g5p728ou6b8fr5uq-yx0aodkzwwclm-riyo2awm
joined Sep 11, 2015

I love this so much <3

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Wasn't really debating. I guess I was just a bit incredulous about two Japanese highschool girls bonding over a 30 year old American rock music. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool. I always like seeing American culture in manga. it's just weird

Sorry critique might have been a better word than debate, I can only say it's not weird to me when the internet allows for such massive cultural exchange, and I was an odd kid out growing up. So some modern day teenagers being like this doesn't even phase me haha

It's also important to know it might be from an older relative

When I was a kid in the 90s I only listened to things from the 60s and 70s. I was the weird outlier in my school, cause I lsitened to mostly classic rock from England, cause that's what my dad listened to.

Also very true! I know some people that got into somewhat unusual music because of their parents. Funnily my music tastes are and almost always have been mostly very independent from my parents, and anyone else around me. Guess I've always enjoyed finding my own niches when it comes to media of all kinds, and doing my own research.

Edit: And I say "unusual" only as different from the norm.

last edited at May 5, 2022 10:05PM

joined May 30, 2020

Jotaro Voice
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES

_______%20(12)
joined Feb 18, 2018

finally,, a reverse trap..

To reply you must either login or sign up.