Forum › Beloved Paintings discussion

joined Sep 11, 2019

Good stuff this one

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, looks like she may have finally found her happiness after all. And we can be sure she took the chance, if her past decisions are anything to judge by.

joined Dec 17, 2021

I actually enjoyed the Madonna chapter a lot. It represents all I love about NTR.

The latest chapter was really cute.

joined Apr 16, 2022

No it doesnt work. the idea for the swing is that the girl looking at the guy on the swing is "hiding" and both the woman and the guy on the right are the main focus. Like i see what it was going for but it seems kinda forced with some of the things its going for. Maybe well see like something Romantic or Neoclassical next. cool story fun to reread.

joined Oct 3, 2016

Oh hey. Positive Aroace representation in a protagonist. Very Nice.

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

Aro as well? I thought she did love her romantically tho? Or was that also the point that she could not love her as a “girlfriend”. I do love the positive rep.

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

I’ve never seen sex-repulsion in a manga before. Neat.

9d94c4a9-d46e-49f0-a68e-0a44d27fedb6
joined Oct 22, 2021

I read Kanon as homoromantic asexual also. She doesn’t seem to have any issue with being girlfriends, just with the more physically intimate things Arisa wanted to do.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

It sounds like they have actual,proper art museums where the author lives.

None of that scam modern art crap with minimal effort just to make a buck by touting it highly.

Thanks to the internet,REAL art can be shared en masse,and this series is the meta of that.

Screenshot%202022-05-05%20at%2020.52.05%20copy
joined Sep 23, 2021

Aro as well? I thought she did love her romantically tho? Or was that also the point that she could not love her as a “girlfriend”. I do love the positive rep.

it's not really clear, i think. she may have loved her romantically or 'only' as a best friend. there doesn't even have to be a hard distinction there, especially for a teenager who might not know their own feelings completely.

this whole series has been really excellent - sometimes sweet, sometimes sad but always well done. i'm not exactly an expert on the masterworks of painting but i really enjoyed it. it's always good to see an original idea well executed. i think i'm gonna re-read her other works next!

Abbysmug
joined May 15, 2020

None of that scam modern art crap with minimal effort just to make a buck by touting it highly.

Thanks to the internet,REAL art can be shared en masse,and this series is the meta of that.

Not to imply that art's value is measured by the effort put into creating it (it's not) but a lot of modern art actually takes a lot of effort. All art is real art, there's no sense in being elitist about it.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Disagree, if you ask somebody like you to define and refine their definition of "real" art, all you will get is a description of the art they like or tolerate. Postmodern thought tells us that anything can be art. Art can't be "good" or "bad" except relative to your opinion, i.e. there is no "good art", only "art I think is good". Whether the art is ART (and therefore "real art") is indisputable.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Asexual ?

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

I knew it, this bitch is fucking her piano

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Omg, that bonus with the "Swing" couple from chapter 9 was really cute!

joined May 3, 2014

lool so now any time we get the I love you as an friend we got the so call push for people are ace now! lol okk have you heard of best friends or something? unless is stated that she was actualy ace we shoudn’t just paint any friendship we see as ace

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

^ she said she loved her and she wanted to keep being her girlfriend, she just didn’t want to kiss or have sex with her. Sounds pretty ace and sex repulsed to me.

joined Sep 20, 2021

it's not really clear, i think. she may have loved her romantically or 'only' as a best friend. there doesn't even have to be a hard distinction there, especially for a teenager who might not know their own feelings completely.

The mangaka says in the afterword “The story begins with Kanon falling in love but she has her own ideas for what that means, while Arisa has slightly different ones. Is the latter the only form those special feelings can take? Of course not, which is why I attempted to express the former through this very scene.”

Since the phrase “falling in love” is often only used in a romantic sense when talking about people I think it’s safe to say Kanon had romantic feelings for Arisa but not sexual desire. From the mangaka’s statement I do believe the intent was to show an Asexual falling in love.

last edited at Apr 30, 2022 12:20PM

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

I do believe the intent was to show an Aromantic Asexual falling in love.

Aromantic

falling in love

That doesn’t make sense.
She’s just Ace, not Aro. She might be Homoromantic, but she probably isn’t Aromantic.

joined Oct 11, 2021

Next chapter, The Sleeping Gypsy...
I wonder how Mimoto connecting it with Yuri stuff....
Really excited...
Doki doki...

joined Sep 20, 2021

I do believe the intent was to show an Aromantic Asexual falling in love.

Aromantic

falling in love

That doesn’t make sense.
She’s just Ace, not Aro. She might be Homoromantic, but she probably isn’t Aromantic.

Sorry, I was thinking about another person’s comment while writing my own and everything got jumbled. I meant to say the mangaka was showing an asexual falling in love. :p
I’ll edit my original comment.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Disagree, if you ask somebody like you to define and refine their definition of "real" art, all you will get is a description of the art they like or tolerate. Postmodern thought tells us that anything can be art. Art can't be "good" or "bad" except relative to your opinion, i.e. there is no "good art", only "art I think is good". Whether the art is ART (and therefore "real art") is indisputable.

In a global sense this is true as far as the idea that anything can be art. But we can also all agree on certain principles that will allow us to evaluate that art. There are certain ideas of function and form that might help us evaluate something as good or bad.

For example, you might say there are no bad poems or no bad poem types, but perhaps a specific sonnet or a specific limerick can be bad because it does not function well in the form.

I would never argue that the Michael Bay Transformers film is not art. Of course it's art. But by any established measure of what it means for a movie to be "good", it isn't. Now you could of course argue that those established measures are just as subjective as anything else, and that is true. But I also think that's missing the point.

Discussing art with the premise that everything is of equal value is boring because it does end up in a purely, "I like this...I don't like this" form. It ignores the make up of the art itself, such as authorial intent, audience interpretation, reaction, implication, subtext, symbolism, mood, tone, context, framing, etc. It removes the emotional element of art. That feeling of chills when you read something that particularly touches you, that overwhelming sense of grandeur when you've found something that you can't help laughing or crying or feeling any other involuntary emotion towards, is negated by the idea that everything is equal. Do we think the Godfather is a better movie than Transformers because we have been told that it is a better movie and we just internalize that, or is there something in the way it is made that leads most people, or even some people, to come to that conclusion? Are there functional aspects that are in the work, on purpose or by accident, that create a specific reaction in people?

To put it another way, it's the difference between Nihilism and Atheistic Existentialism. Nihilism says nothing means anything. Atheistic Existentialism says sure that may be true, but then we as individuals can create meaning from that nothingness. To stop a conversation of art at the point that you say everything is up to your own opinion is to relinquish yourself to a Nihilistic artistic experience. The Existentialist artistic experience would be to ask what we can agree are things that we value in art.

Screen%20shot%202021-06-15%20at%209.27.34%20pm
joined Jun 28, 2021

This is the only manga artist I've seen use a humanlike depiction to represent themselves in an afterword

142220480_1294910914226700_370792848566403998_n%20(2)
joined Feb 3, 2021

:'(

AngelsDoNotCry
Goat-removebg-preview%20(1)%20(2)
joined May 30, 2022

Well that was sad. Maybe a good ol' kiss would fix the witch curse.

To reply you must either login or sign up.