Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

This.

THIS RIGHT HERE!

This needs an animated adaptation!!

AND IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN NOW!!!

Kazami%20yuuka3
joined Aug 6, 2017

Yuri Danshi? I haven't heard of that name in a long time.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I must say, I don't really care much about the manga but those translation notes where amazing and super informative, really great job Sapho Scans, I learned a lot!

joined Nov 6, 2021

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who feels the yuri danshi pain...

Bro……..

joined Nov 6, 2021

You know what would be nice, if we had a story about a “guy who just really loves yuri” except it turns out they were just a closeted trans lesbian who we got to see come to terms with her identity and transition + get a girlfriend

You know, the author stopped updating their twitter. Maybe this happened IRL?

372cd35a-2e1f-49c9-8be3-1bbde4735038
joined May 20, 2020

Speaking of the genre's history, while "Beautiful and Innocent" is a good source of general information on that topic, it doesn't go into much detail about esu and nuances of Nobuko Yoshiya's writing style and career. For this reason, I highly recommend Michiko Suzuki's "Becoming Modern Women: Love and female identity in prewar Japanese literature and culture". More specifically, it has a chapter dedicated to "Two Virgins in the Attic".

Thanks for the recs! Do you know if there's any demographic survey regarding yuri readers other than this one and dynasty's a few years ago? I've actually been wondering and serching for good data and research on yuri for a while. it'd also be great if we could reconduct the survey on dynasty, it was really interesting. I know about works relating the history of yuri but not so much about who reads it, a sort of sociology of yuri.

Compressjpg20220512_150101
joined Jan 22, 2022

I barely read the yuri delusions dump but its still pretty cool, I've been moved to tears to the MC finally meeting his Master

joined May 9, 2016

Speaking of the genre's history, while "Beautiful and Innocent" is a good source of general information on that topic, it doesn't go into much detail about esu and nuances of Nobuko Yoshiya's writing style and career. For this reason, I highly recommend Michiko Suzuki's "Becoming Modern Women: Love and female identity in prewar Japanese literature and culture". More specifically, it has a chapter dedicated to "Two Virgins in the Attic".

Thanks for the recs! Do you know if there's any demographic survey regarding yuri readers other than this one and dynasty's a few years ago? I've actually been wondering and serching for good data and research on yuri for a while. it'd also be great if we could reconduct the survey on dynasty, it was really interesting. I know about works relating the history of yuri but not so much about who reads it, a sort of sociology of yuri.

Hmm, no, not really, but I haven't looked into it for a few years. I suppose that sources in Japanese have more of similar surveys and researches, but my current level of Japanese is too low for me to be able to even extensively search for, yet alone comprehensively read such publications.

last edited at Apr 13, 2022 10:48PM

joined May 9, 2016

I guess I should say a few words about the manga itself, lol.

While I don't have a "Who is the demographic and the target audience for this?" question, I have a slightly different one that had been often popping into my head while I was reading this: "Are those jokes and situations supposed to be relatable in some way?". Don't get me wrong, I'm all for self-deprecating humor and bigger-than-life, over-the-top chuunibyou fantasies, but in this case something feels...kinda off. I can't really put my finger on it yet (sometimes-foreshadowing-is-relatively obvious.mp4), but for some reason I don't vibe with the MC or his thought process.

last edited at Apr 13, 2022 10:46PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

While I don't have a "Who is the demographic and the target audience for this?" question, I have a slightly different one that had been often popping into my head while I was reading this: "Are those jokes and situations supposed to be relatable in some way?". Don't get me wrong, I'm all for self-deprecating humor and bigger-than-life, over-the-top chuunibyou fantasies, but in this case something feels...kinda off. I can't really put my finger on it yet (sometimes-foreshadowing-is-relatively obvious.mp4), but for some reason I don't vibe with the MC or his thought process.

On the other hand, I guess I have a bit of a blind spot in regard to “relatability” as a criterion for fiction. I mean, sometimes I do read stories or characters that really do resonate with situations I have known or with my sense of self, but that has almost nothing to do with my experience of reading the story—sometimes stories are “relatable,” but that’s pretty much the main thing they have going for them.

Much more often, though, the stories I enjoy or think highly of don’t have much to do with how I personally relate to them (and this is leaving out stories with outlandish premises like isekai or over-the-top characterizations, like a lot of comedies). So for me, “relating” to a story is a thing that sometimes happens, but it’s not something I’m looking for or especially missing when a story doesn’t have it.

joined May 9, 2016

It's not that I need situations or characters to have to remind me of my real-life experiences in order for a story to get an emotional response or some other kind of strong reaction out of me. I'd like to arrogantly think of myself as of a quite empathetic person who can, with relative success, relate to other people, whose experiences may have nothing to do with my personal experiences.

But I simply have a vague, undefined feeling that this specific manga was written with that kind of "relatability" in mind, as if the mangaka was trying to act all smart and smug, trying to hit practically all male yuri readership in one shot, but the pellet spread of the shot was too tight, too narrow.

Idk, maybe it's the extremely one-dimensional characterization of the MC that throws me off. I can't really see a living, breathing person behind his "extreme yuri obsession" façade. It's like all of his personality and all of his life can be equated to this obsession. That's fine for a few introductory chapters, but eventually it becomes tiresome, annoying and boring. Maybe he is a walking and talking "yuri danshi up to 11" stereotype for a reason, but so far I can't see that reason.

last edited at Apr 17, 2022 9:05AM

joined Nov 6, 2021

if you don’t relate to this, you are probably not an egg.

Iamlovingthat4u
joined Aug 17, 2021

New to this series and I love it. I’m a trans lesbian and during the first few chapters I thought yea this man should just transition. Tho I am still mad at them for saying that trap x cis girl isn’t yuri cause imo it is
But I sincerely don’t believe he’s an egg, at least it’s pretty far away from my experience. He seems to identify with being a man and while in some cases he struggles because of his identity in others he finds comraderey. He’s a man through and through and does not wish to be any different.
My favorite scene so far is the ramen restaurant bit where they drive customers away simply by being so manly about their interests. It seems triumphant for but a moment, he has successfully United the yuri danshi, but then the pan brings him back to reality: “but what if our presence alone is what keeps girls from being able to appreciate yuri too?”

In a way we all are yuri danshi tho I haven’t been a boy for years and other girls never have. We are yuri danshi in that we are English speakers who fawn over manga. We may try to be realistic and not romanticize Japan too much but let’s be real, yuri danshi is none of our first, nor second, nor even twentieth works read, watched or otherwise weebily devoured.

What I’m really hoping for my the end of the series is that it answers the near impossible social question of privilege and how to love something, help a cause or be an outsider and leave space for the true creators. I’m worried it will be nothing but tragic comedy but I can’t blame the artist for not having all the answers.
Him being an egg would undermine the whole point it’s trying to make. About loving rap but not knowing how if you even should participate. Being insecure about the authenticity of your mole sauce. About the tiny sadness that comes with privelage and knowing the world doesn’t need you to feel sorry, it just needs less of you.

joined Nov 6, 2021

New to this series and I love it. I’m a trans lesbian and during the first few chapters I thought yea this man should just transition. Tho I am still mad at them for saying that trap x cis girl isn’t yuri cause imo it is
But I sincerely don’t believe he’s an egg, at least it’s pretty far away from my experience. He seems to identify with being a man and while in some cases he struggles because of his identity in others he finds comraderey. He’s a man through and through and does not wish to be any different.

He literally talks about how the male experience is completely foreign to him and he wants to be apart of girl talk. Cis dudes generally don’t think like this.

last edited at Jul 22, 2023 5:00PM

Weeb Depression
joined Sep 12, 2021

Thank you to whoever is translating this. Dealing with the mc's rant and ridiculous vocabulary must be a pain. And thanks for the afterword that explained the history of yuri manga.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I wonder if translating the title into "Lily Boy" would have gotten it a stronger English-speaking audience?

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

So will this continue to be translated?

Also apparently Mirakurun from Yuru Yuri appears eventually.

joined Oct 20, 2022

How come Keisuke is so ridiculously good looking, yet his delusions, obsessively shipping people, stalking people, ...he is such a creep?. Sigh.

joined Jan 11, 2023

This is literally the type of manga what I'm looking for right now. I hope all of the chapter of this manga gets translated.

joined Nov 6, 2021

I liked this manga so much that I decided to take it over from Sappho Scans (many thanks to them for providing their in-progress work).

Someone asked me why I found this "relatable": Hanadera reminds me of myself when I was about his age. That feeling totally alienated from the human experience while also having a strange obsession with lesbian media and being a total weirdo as a result is very relatable. I got better, though.

last edited at Jul 22, 2023 3:32PM

joined Jun 11, 2016

I liked this manga so much that I decided to take it over from Sappho Scans (many thanks to them for providing their in-progress work).

Someone asked me why I found this "relatable": Hanadera reminds me of myself when I was about his age. That feeling totally alienated from the human experience while also having a strange obsession with lesbian media and being a total weirdo as a result is very relatable. I got better, though.

thanks for continuing this series! This chapter was surprisingly thought-provoking.

joined Sep 19, 2015

How come Keisuke is so ridiculously good looking, yet his delusions, obsessively shipping people, stalking people, ...he is such a creep?. Sigh.

It helps highlight how caught up in appearances he is - he obsesses about the surface level, completely blind to anything beyond, which causes him (and the unfortunate people around him) pain. And do note that almost every chapter, his face becomes distorted in comedic and/or hideous fashion as his absurdity is slowly exposed to himself, until his usual appearance returns in a moment of clarity. And the cycle continues, because as he stated from the start, the handsome noble guy who wants to do good, and the grotesque creep who can only fuck things up, are one and the same.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Oh wow, they are enter in a very dangerous discussion
madre de dio!

To reply you must either login or sign up.