Forum › Citrus + discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

We haven't seen you in like, a year or something, right?

More like 6 years lol

I actually think I liked Mei better in this chapter too. I think her strictness is a clear sign of how much she genuinely cares about Yuzu's future. She left Yuzu with lots of advice and well wishes at the beginning of the chapter, and she's strict with her at the end because she wants Yuzu to succeed at her exams so she can pursue her dreams.

That's one way to read it, I suppose. But we've seen the "cheering someone on for an exam" manga trope countless times, and while I know that "Do your best" is a standard idiom, it's not quite "You can do it!," either. And in the post-exam section Mei does nothing except dismiss or downplay what Yuzu is upset about. (Generally in relationships when your partner is concerned about something, "You're worried about the wrong thing" tends to be a sub-optimal response.)

It's notable that the flashback of Yuzu crying is to Chapter 23 of the original series, which leads directly to the crucial turning point of Chapter 24. Yuzu's second encounter with the Shitty Homophobic Middle-School Gyarus (they also appear in panel 1 of Chapter 1) led to Yuzu rethinking, and almost giving up, her whole romantic relationship with Mei, and it's Mei's mature, considerate response in reminding Yuzu that "There is no right answer--we only do what we want to do" that results in the two of them agreeing to be together in a loving relationship going forward.

They're so far from that long-ago point that it's hard to remember it even existed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Man, Kana sure is a bitch.

Is going to be hilarious if after Yuzu finally manages the courage to come out to them, it turns out they're also closeted lesbians and all the guy chasing was just a means of coping.

I'm starting to think that someone tells Sabu about what is discussed here since now we have a canon Meibot but really, I just can't understand the complaints about Mei lacing a character or failing to show her love for Yuzu when she has been the most proactive through this series.

Profile%20picture
joined Jan 23, 2018
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Man, Kana sure is a bitch.

Is going to be hilarious if after Yuzu finally manages the courage to come out to them, it turns out they're also closeted lesbians and all the guy chasing was just a means of coping.

And to be fair, looking at all their (very few) scenes, Kana is truly awful, but Nanami seems pretty reasonable and usually tries to keep Kana in line.

joined Jul 26, 2019

Is it normal to read chapter after chapter and nothing happens? It even seems that the author has completely sanitized the subject of love, when they kiss, do other things than think about each other or imagine what others think? I find the story of citrus + completely unstitched with no thread, no sensuality .... it can last for years like this!

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

I’ve spent the past several years (man this manga is a trooper) defending Mei and her reluctance to be open with her emotions many times in the past, insisting she’s a very damaged girl who needs time to get more comfortable in her love life.

But….

I’m starting to agree with the majority here. It’s getting old. Mei needs to lighten up and let down her walls already. Or rather, Saburouta needs to step up her game. Realistically, there’s nothing holding characters back from growing except the author.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Is it normal to read chapter after chapter and nothing happens?

It's the true Citrus experience, yes.

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

It's notable that the flashback of Yuzu crying is to Chapter 23 of the original series, which leads directly to the crucial turning point of Chapter 24. Yuzu's second encounter with the Shitty Homophobic Middle-School Gyarus (they also appear in panel 1 of Chapter 1) led to Yuzu rethinking, and almost giving up, her whole romantic relationship with Mei, and it's Mei's mature, considerate response in reminding Yuzu that "There is no right answer--we only do what we want to do" that results in the two of them agreeing to be together in a loving relationship going forward.

I went back and reread Chapter 23 when I was working on the translation to see what Kana and Manami's last appearance was like, but I didn't continue on to Chapter 24. Your comment made me realize something I missed in this chapter: on Page 007, Yuzu's line in the second-to-last panel is that quote you mentioned from citrus Chapter 24, which was translated then as "There is no right answer. We only do what we want to do." Not realizing this, I translated it here in a way that I felt fit the situation. She's actually repeating the words that Mei said (wrote) to her back then to give herself courage. It's not a huge deal, and the meaning is still more or less there, but I wanted to at least call attention to the fact that those lines are the same. Thanks for helping me realize that, haha.

last edited at Mar 20, 2022 5:10PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I went back and reread Chapter 23 when I was working on the translation to see what Kana and Manami's last appearance was like, but I didn't continue on to Chapter 24. Your comment made me realize something I missed in this chapter: on Page 007, Yuzu's line in the second-to-last panel is that quote you mentioned from citrus Chapter 24, which was translated then as "There is no right answer. We only do what we want to do." Not realizing this, I translated it here in a way that I felt fit the situation. She's actually repeating the words that Mei said (wrote) to her back then to give herself courage. It's not a huge deal, and the meaning is still more or less there, but I wanted to at least call attention to the fact that those lines are the same. Thanks for helping me realize that, haha.

The irony is that Yuzu is then unable to follow through on that determination they both made all the way back in Chap. 24. This would have been a perfect time to demonstrate character growth by having Yuzu say to her former friends now what was so hard for her to say then.

But no, it's all postponed again, because reasons. (And as somebody has already mentioned, those two are about the only people who don't know about Mei and Yuzu's relationship.)

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

But no, it's all postponed again, because reasons. (And as somebody has already mentioned, those two are about the only people who don't know about Mei and Yuzu's relationship.)

They're also about the only people who have actively shown aversion towards homosexual relationships within Yuzu's circle though, I think it's okay for her to be a bit hesitant to tell them. Seeing how Kana reacted to hearing Yuzu is taking her studies seriously does make me wonder if it's even worth the effort though... Putting that aside, I did actually like this chapter and I feel like this could turn out to be quite interesting (here's hoping).

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that the latest chapters often seem to be lacking proper shading, compared to older ones at least. And considering how often we don't get the usual monthly chapter I'm wondering if Saburouta is having a hard time meeting her deadlines? Was this something that happened in the past as well? (I've only been following it since around ch.15 of citrus+). I'm guessing the art will get touched up for the volume release, but it still seemed a bit odd to me, so I was wondering if it was always the case and I just didn't know/realise.

joined Jul 26, 2016

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that the latest chapters often seem to be lacking proper shading, compared to older ones at least.

What stood out to me is the second frame here because a lot of the perspective and posing just looks off...

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

They're also about the only people who have actively shown aversion towards homosexual relationships within Yuzu's circle though, I think it's okay for her to be a bit hesitant to tell them.

But this is just a repeat of original Chapter 23, where Yuzu wants to tell them, then they spot the lesbian couple and start ragging on them, so she doesn’t. Now, what feels like 20 years and a whole bunch of supposed growth by Yuzu later, the same thing happens.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that the latest chapters often seem to be lacking proper shading, compared to older ones at least. And considering how often we don't get the usual monthly chapter I'm wondering if Saburouta is having a hard time meeting her deadlines? Was this something that happened in the past as well? (I've only been following it since around ch.15 of citrus+). I'm guessing the art will get touched up for the volume release, but it still seemed a bit odd to me, so I was wondering if it was always the case and I just didn't know/realise.

I didn’t follow the original release schedule of Citrus very closely—I read the chapters when they appeared—but I did get the impression that the release schedule became erratic at times in the second half of the series.

And I recall at least one and maybe a couple of chapters that first appeared with some uninked or partially inked pages.

last edited at Mar 20, 2022 8:25PM

7277b022-9e31-4bec-a22e-b7ad36fb501e
joined Sep 5, 2019

They're also about the only people who have actively shown aversion towards homosexual relationships within Yuzu's circle though, I think it's okay for her to be a bit hesitant to tell them. Seeing how Kana reacted to hearing Yuzu is taking her studies seriously does make me wonder if it's even worth the effort though... Putting that aside, I did actually like this chapter and I feel like this could turn out to be quite interesting (here's hoping).

Yeah, that also happened back when original Citrus was still serialized. There was even a chapter during the Kyoto arc where there was only nearly finished rough sketches strewn about the chapter. It does get fixed in volume releases though.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

More like 6 years lol

FWIW they were there at Yuzu and Mei's wedding (Bottom right)

Well, there go the stakes in this arc

JustReadingSomeYuri.
joined Nov 25, 2021

Man, can I say that I'm getting tired of this? Citrus is really good and I love the original series but the sequel it's starting to feel to me as an Ubisoft DLC that just retells past events that led to the good ending and nothing more.

Characters have become somewhat dull and arcs boring. The only reason I look to new releases is to see what happens. This series hasn't been satisfying as in the past.

joined May 8, 2018

I'm always looking forward to more Citrus. But nowadays, I just come here to read the comments. I love Citrus since day one, but maybe it's better off not counting this extra manga. There's barely any character development or anything happening. Even I got bored of reading Citrus+ and I was such a huge fan of Citrus back then.

last edited at Mar 21, 2022 2:42AM

43353v3
joined Jun 7, 2020

Goodness gracious, Citrus+ is so dull! We need some progression, pronto!

Yeah. The author sure likes her breaks. Almost quit reading Citrus because of so many breaks.

Show a little respect to the author.

145537335_456474152428619_7273272408325150170_n
joined Mar 13, 2020

I quit keeping the eyes on the series long time ago and just read the new chapter whenever it comes out so I feel like it's been age since the last time I saw Mei's expression
Speaking of middle school and college, I started to read the series when I was a middle schooler and now I'm in the final year of college and they still haven't have sex

joined Jul 26, 2016

Show a little respect to the author.

Respect needs to be earned.

TheEternalShade
20230425_150259
joined Aug 25, 2021

Mmm, that jealousy. Seeing how Yuzu's gotten her life together, a shot at a good future and a caring fiancée she loves dearly, while the old friends are still flitting around really got under Kana's skin, didn't it?

I mean, we already know how this is gonna turn out (to most any conflict that will arise in this midquel) since the two were already shown at Mei and Yuzu's wedding; but that's still some yummy jealousy.

last edited at Mar 21, 2022 4:47PM

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

I quit keeping the eyes on the series long time ago and just read the new chapter whenever it comes out so I feel like it's been age since the last time I saw Mei's expression
Speaking of middle school and college, I started to read the series when I was a middle schooler and now I'm in the final year of college and they still haven't have sex

gosh this takes me baccckkk, i'm in grad school now and I remember reading this when it first came out. Following this series is like a life journey of getting small instances where Mei is lovey-dovey with Yuzu lmao

Sawyerboredsquarebkgdoutline250
joined Nov 14, 2018

Here I was hoping for more HaruMatsu considering that's the only plotline that's enticing me to keep on reading this :( I love Yuzu and Mei but the story has become so mild from what it once was. I was hoping to see them as more of a side couple in this series so that HaruMatsu could be fleshed out more but we're just getting sprinkles of it instead :')

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Here I was hoping for more HaruMatsu considering that's the only plotline that's enticing me to keep on reading this :( I love Yuzu and Mei but the story has become so mild from what it once was. I was hoping to see them as more of a side couple in this series so that HaruMatsu could be fleshed out more but we're just getting sprinkles of it instead :')

I thought that was how Citrus+ was originally advertised: that the story of Yuzu and Mei was basically already told— they get married —and the spinoff was going to concentrate on the side characters.

Sure, there always was going to be some attention given to the MCs getting back together after the Arranged Marriage #2 crisis, but I never expected their relationship to go back to Square -10, and that well over three years after the series started the two of them would be in protracted negotiations about how to celebrate Yuzu’s birthday.

Or that HaruMatsu would take those three years to only go from Subtext to DeLuxe Subtext in apparently random fits and starts.

last edited at Mar 25, 2022 8:13AM

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Just seeing Yuzu and Mei living life as an actual couple free from all the baggage would have been fine by me TBH, it's pretty much all I wanted out of Citrus+ . Couldn't even get that, sadly :(

last edited at Mar 23, 2022 10:05PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.