Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I started off loving this series, but I just can't like Shiho in the slightest. I took a break from this series for over a year just to come back and see the drama ongoing, and I think it's only getting more frustrating.

I know this might sound like a weird and totally unusual take, but in some ways this feels like we're dipping into some flavor of NTR. With the jealously Yori has over Himari being basically stolen away by Shiho, with Shiho "stealing some of Himari's first times", such as Himari's first time seeing band practice. Yori specifically says how she wants as many of Himari's first times as she can have, and is partly upset by this development for that reason. So it's a very weird tone and leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I know it's not exactly NTR but it feels like some flavor of it and I don't like it.

Also Himari asking Yori if her being a manager for the rival band is okay, and Himari apologizes for it, only for Yori to completely ignore that it was a great time to communicate how she's really feeling...so now we just have their relationship cracking behind the scenes...all of which ultimately comes from Shiho being a petty drama queen that's driving the plot in weird directions.

Edit: These thoughts are formulated from catching up last night, I just saw the 30th chapter and read it. Yori's jealousy and lack of communication continues to be frustrating and tiresome...and I don't even know if I'm excited for a possible fireworks kiss next chapter. Which is something I never thought I'd say...it's a weird feeling with how I really want to love this series and the characters.

last edited at Mar 13, 2022 9:55PM

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

I was in love with this series when it first came out, but every chapter with Shiho has just lowered my desire to read it more and more. Scenes with her just feel boring to go through, because it's always just her being sulky or mean-spirited to almost everyone around her. I want to like this series, Himari and Yori have great chemistry, but Shiho's just stale at this point. I don't even care why she's a salty bitch, I just want this part of the story over.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

DAMMIT YORI! ENOUGH ABOUT THE WHOLE I WANT THE FIRST KISS TO BE SPECIAL THING, THE MOOD WAS RIGHT! THE MOOD WAS DEFINITELY RIGHT!

Zigv3uyqlg0hih2ixcp8saivs99g-ehejzp51vcc89w
joined Feb 8, 2018

This just became really frustrating, at this point we will have 3+ volumes of pointless and forced drama, is this freaking Citrus or what?

joined Sep 27, 2017

DAMMIT YORI! ENOUGH ABOUT THE WHOLE I WANT THE FIRST KISS TO BE SPECIAL THING, THE MOOD WAS RIGHT! THE MOOD WAS DEFINITELY RIGHT!

I think Yori didn't want to do the kiss while feeling jealous more than anything...which wouldn't be really an issue...if she'd communicate how she really felt with Himari. I'd argue Yori could have taken a moment to say "wait, I need to say something", followed by a discussion of how Yori has actually been feeling jealous. Then if the mood is still right they kiss. Which would have been a nice way to get a good sense of relationship progress this chapter, but instead there's no kiss, and Yori is still bottling up her jealously...and it's unfortunately frustrating. Especially when I feel like the author is capable of writing good character communication. I kind of wonder if the editor stepped in and asked for more drama, but that's baseless speculation and only a thought of mine.

Edit:

This just became really frustrating, at this point we will have 3+ volumes of pointless and forced drama, is this freaking Citrus or what?

Well it is the same magazine as Citrus, which I know publishes other series, but it's part of why I said the bit about the editor in my first response in this post.

last edited at Mar 13, 2022 10:33PM

Adashima
joined Sep 3, 2018

Not really in a great mood today so I can't even try to antagonize this series in an over-the-top manner for shits and giggles since this just became completely bland and boring, but should still mention that the mood was pretty much not alright. With Yori having the doubts that she has and the obvious lack of communicative skills, getting a first kiss in that way could very easily lead to a relationship formed only around physical intimacy and absolutely no mutual trust in each other. And while it would be honestly kind of awesome to see a series depict the kind of drama that I lived first-hand years ago, I've been hating this second half way too much to even expect for this to delve into that kind of problem with any sort of sensibility.

But I'm rambling, this series is trash regardless and physical intimacy without a proper functional relationship should be avoided imo, unless you just want the physical aspect of it, in which case it would be very much okay I guess.

Thanks to the team though, as much as I hate this it's fun to have a periodic rage-induced aneurysm and their work is always great.

Untitled
joined Jan 23, 2022

Maybe the "special" is the summer festival arc?

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I think Yori didn't want to do the kiss while feeling jealous more than anything...which wouldn't be really an issue...if she'd communicate how she really felt with Himari. I'd argue Yori could have taken a moment to say "wait, I need to say something", followed by a discussion of how Yori has actually been feeling jealous. Then if the mood is still right they kiss. Which would have been a nice way to get a good sense of relationship progress this chapter, but instead there's no kiss, and Yori is still bottling up her jealously...and it's unfortunately frustrating. Especially when I feel like the author is capable of writing good character communication. I kind of wonder if the editor stepped in and asked for more drama, but that's baseless speculation and only a thought of mine.

Edit:

Well it is the same magazine as Citrus, which I know publishes other series, but it's part of why I said the bit about the editor in my first response in this post.

I mean, I guess? Maybe not the perfect time but Yori is worried about the relationship, she's concerned that Himi is spending too much time in the enemy camp and not enough time with her.
She also doesn't like that tangential rival girl might be landing some of Himi's firsts and Yori can't abide that.
A kiss at this juncture could be the thing to reaffirm their relationship and their intimacy and is something that Himi specifically asked for.
Sure, it won't solve all their relationship woes and they need to have the conversation (not the conversation™) at some point but at least a kiss in this moment could at least simmer things down.
Putting it off till a specific point of time gives it a chance to go wrong.
I feel like with fireworks like there's a 60 to 70 percent chance in manga terms of something else coming along and cocking the whole thing up. Better to have it done now while there is a bit of mood going and no outside interference.

Also, like, I'm sick of the whole I've gotta be the first mentality that I see all the fucking time in manga and anime and vns. It always has like a real gross kinda vibe attached to it like a chick or a dude who has already had a first is like a soiled rag.

joined Nov 22, 2019

At first it was because of Shiho, but now I'm not sure why but I seem to have lost interest in this. It's trying to be cute while maintaining some kind of dramatic tension with the jealousy, but it feels messy, like neither part is getting its due. The karaoke scene in the latest chapter didn't make me frustrated or tense or interested, I just felt bored.

Honestly this. The constant flipping between the serious text with black speech bubbles and the sparkling page where the characters have a moment of tension was so off-putting that it almost felt intentional, like some weird form of parody, which would honestly be hilarious, but its not parody, and just comes off as sloppy, like the author has lost a lot of passion for this series and is just trying to make their deadlines

joined Sep 27, 2017

Edit:

I mean, I guess? Maybe not the perfect time but Yori is worried about the relationship, she's concerned that Himi is spending too much time in the enemy camp and not enough time with her.
She also doesn't like that tangential rival girl might be landing some of Himi's firsts and Yori can't abide that.
A kiss at this juncture could be the thing to reaffirm their relationship and their intimacy and is something that Himi specifically asked for.
Sure, it won't solve all their relationship woes and they need to have the conversation (not the conversation™) at some point but at least a kiss in this moment could at least simmer things down.
Putting it off till a specific point of time gives it a chance to go wrong.
I feel like with fireworks like there's a 60 to 70 percent chance in manga terms of something else coming along and cocking the whole thing up. Better to have it done now while there is a bit of mood going and no outside interference.

Also, like, I'm sick of the whole I've gotta be the first mentality that I see all the fucking time in manga and anime and vns. It always has like a real gross kinda vibe attached to it like a chick or a dude who has already had a first is like a soiled rag.

I agree that the mentality around "firsts" is weird, but I also see it in Western culture and so fourth, the whole concept of Virginity and it's importance is big around the world. A factor in various religious and other beliefs, but I'm not going to get into that here. "Tore your hymen while you were just casually horse back riding? Guess you're a whore now", as only one example of the absurdity you'll see in the world. It's definitely a global thing and not just Japan with VNs/Anime/Manga and so fourth.

Also as I said previously, they need to have a proper talk before kissing. Which they could have done in this chapter, AND had the kiss after if handled well. I agree with "Epsilon04" about their mutual trust issues that need to be talked about first.

joined May 29, 2021

I’ve reached the point where I just skim and don’t really read the dialogue anymore and just see if something like a kiss happens. I feel like I’m teetering on the edge of falling off this one. A shame, since I used to like it.

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Admittedly, in a perfect world she'd be right to maybe slow down and think about things. Why she's jealous, why she's frustrated, and why she doesn't talk about these things openly. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world and it's about firsts.

But they're going to fireworks and I'm sure that'll create something special between them, because that is the cliche and y'know what?

I gobble that shit up

joined Mar 25, 2021

Man, I stopped reading this manga when that Shiho character appeared and thinking of picking up again, but after reading some of the newer comments I'm not so sure if I want to. She's the whole reason I dropped it and it seems like she's still an annoying character.

joined Sep 27, 2017

Man, I stopped reading this manga when that Shiho character appeared and thinking of picking up again, but after reading some of the newer comments I'm not so sure if I want to. She's the whole reason I dropped it and it seems like she's still an annoying character.

Personally I'm hoping this arc ends within the next 10 chapters, and they move on to something better than this drama revolving around Shiho.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Personally I'm hoping this arc ends within the next 10 chapters, and they move on to something better than this drama revolving around Shiho.

The next 10 chapters is a third of what's already out. That's a hell of a long time on this arc.

joined Sep 27, 2017

The next 10 chapters is a third of what's already out. That's a hell of a long time on this arc.

Oh I'd love for it to be over right now, but it doesn't feel like the end of this arc is anywhere in sight unfortunately. So I'm trying to manage my expectations heh

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

The turn to drama and jealousy has actually made this series considerably less boring to me. It feels a bit less generic. I’ve never understood the abundant praise this story used to get, it never really seemed all that special. While this angst is hardly original, its at least interesting (to me), which i can’t really say about how this series started out.

Also Shiho is an awful person, duh, but that’s what makes her interesting to read about.

If the story isn’t going in the direction you wanted it to, my sincere condolences, hope you find something more to your taste, but I am finally starting to like this.

last edited at Mar 14, 2022 2:08AM

joined Jun 21, 2021

I’ve never understood the abundant praise this story used to get, it never really seemed all that special.

Same, this series has never managed to crack even my top 5 ongoing Yuri. The art is good and it’s solid, but idk it’s always felt like it’s missing that one thing to really spice it up.

I’m clearly in the minority that likes Shiho, but even I’ll admit if feels like we’ve been building up to the school festival band competition for an eternity. This is the only series I’m currently keeping up with that I just can’t remember any details about the plot, damn near every chapter feels like nothing gets accomplished

joined Apr 1, 2013

even though its a slow burn I love these cute chapters of their dates together I really hope during that festival we see something magical happy face

I feel like Shiho plan is so break up SS girls band by using Kino
Shiho does give off this manipulative thinks outside the box vibe.. she will use someone or something to get what she wants. Meanwhile Yori will be involved in this and then Aki (short blonde girl) will blame herself for causing this from the start because she was good friends with Shiho until drama happened.

But given Shiho gives off this toxic vibe it will be interesting to see her personality change because of Kino's influence

joined Sep 27, 2017

It's fine that others didn't like the first arc of the series, I personally dearly loved it and still do. I don't like this second arc that the people who didn't like the first are enjoying more. Everyone has their opinions.

I'm going to stay hopeful that the following arc will be more like the first, and that I'll fall in love with the series again.

joined Jul 8, 2019

Whelp, that chpter was a redefining of the "idiot couple" termn. Somebody, bonk those two on the head with a baka-mallet, STAT!

joined Sep 11, 2019

Pain
But god I hope the resolution to all this shenanigans makes me feel the pain now is worth it.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

How adorable. ^_^

joined Dec 18, 2021

And for some reasons, one of them can't go.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

After this chapter I can't unsee Mari and Kaori as Hino and Nagafuji from AdaShima.

To reply you must either login or sign up.