Forum › Liberty discussion

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

She can come up with a much better plot I am sure (just check her work list entry here).

The one with a work list is only the artist for this one.It's the first work for the author.

E. Vigée Le Brun
joined Jun 8, 2021

Liz must be the Japanese version of a Mary Sue (whatever she does, she's loved and forgiven).

That development with Maki's friend confessing to her was axed and quashed two panels after it started. Gotta be a record of sorts.

joined Jun 30, 2016

Well at least she is willing to move forward, so good for her, eat shit Liz, how does it feel huh? watching your loved one with someone else, piece of crap.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well at least she is willing to move forward, so good for her, eat shit Liz, how does it feel huh? watching your loved one with someone else, piece of crap.

Just to clarify, that "someone else" is a total misunderstanding--the backhug girl is just a woman from Maki's office who has a most-definitely-not-lesbian girl-crush on Maki based on her "cool" appearance and who is currently maudlin drunk (and who no doubt will be mortified once she sobers up and realized that she's puked on her girl-crush).

Edit: And why the story couldn't have been arranged so that the backhug was being given by the friend who is actually in love with Maki I'll never know.

("Forget it, Jake--it's Liberty.")

last edited at Mar 1, 2022 11:25AM

Okami Uploader
joined Aug 1, 2013

Man, the pacing is so awful. At this point I'm only tuning in to see how many branches it manages to hit on it's decent downward

I would just prefer to can the whole thing. Especially if you look back, 16 pages are the general maximum output per chapter. So there are quite a few chapters that have less. The author clearly does not give a damn; so why does the mangaka want to? She can come up with a much better plot I am sure (just check her work list entry here).

Oh I'd love to, but sunk cost fallacy and all that ya know. I was here during the start of this mess back in 2018, I gotta see where it ends.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

"I wonder if one day I'll become someone worthy of Liz"

joined Feb 18, 2015

Wow... a chapter that goes precisely nowhere... what a surprise...

joined Mar 4, 2022

I kinda like this. That chubby girl need some love too. But the conclusion after I read in each chapter is ... NTR hentai. Where Miss. Sumire the ugly old man always have her way on Liz the girlfriend. And Maki is your stupid boyfriend.

Things need explanation (or am i miss it?)
- Why Sumire want Liz back. And everytime she has meeting with everyone, everyone suddenly disappear except Liz. (Back story expected)
- Slave Contract still valid or not? They never mentioned for now.

Remember, everyone hate NTR story, but they also demand NTR story more. All author are laughing at you.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Remember, everyone hate NTR story, but they also demand NTR story more. All author are laughing at you.

That word “everyone”—it does not mean what you think it means. (Same for ‘all.’)

2%20-%20jmdagff
joined Aug 31, 2014

I reread it from the beginning and it really doesn't seem to me that Liz is being "cheating" to Maki because they never formalized the relationship...
Yes, there was a contract but didn't say anything about formalizing the relationship... was a "slavery" contract.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I reread it from the beginning and it really doesn't seem to me that Liz is being "cheating" to Maki because they never formalized the relationship...
Yes, there was a contract but didn't say anything about formalizing the relationship... was a "slavery" contract.

So what would count as “formalizing” the relationship such that Liz would be officially “cheating”?

They live together, sleep together, and kiss in the morning. Liz cries as she thinks about Maki after she sleeps with Shitty-senpai, and calls herself, “the worst.”

In other words, they act like they’re together, and Liz regards herself as cheating, so this legalistic parsing of the term itself seems to be entirely pointless.

EDIT: In fact, in Chapter 12, Liz has described Maki to senpai as her “girlfriend,” and in Chapter 15 Jasmine scolds Liz for cheating. So I’m unclear what series you actually re-read from the beginning.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/liberty_ch15#6

last edited at Mar 4, 2022 4:38PM

joined Dec 21, 2016

Only among yuri fans one would hear something like "just because they live together and sleep in the same bed it doesn't necessarily mean they're girlfriends"

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Only among yuri fans one would hear something like "just because they live together and sleep in the same bed it doesn't necessarily mean they're girlfriends"

Ah, well, even outside of the series that spark the “Yuri vs, Subtext” Wars, there can be stories where that’s the case—plenty of pre-relationship/“not in a relationship” cuddle bunnies in the worlds of manga.

But in this case I had forgotten how many people—especially the Senpai of Doom—refer to Maki as Liz’s “girlfriend.”

(I guess I never paid much attention to that because the story makes it so obvious that Liz and Maki are in a relationship when Liz’s ex shows up.)

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

(nods, nods)
Anyone who disagrees with the profound truth of the sentence quoted above, go read the thread for A Room For Two and be enlightened.

joined Dec 17, 2021

Honestly, I wish the story was only about Liz and her ex having their disfunctional relationship. It'd be at least more entertaining that Maki being treated like shit by both Liz and the story.

Anyway, I'm bracing myself for the moment they get back together and Maki ends up saying it's all her fault, somehow.

9a905fe6a22b0201f7ade2de48a73f8d
joined Jan 22, 2014

Wow, someone appearing just in time, and just long enough to totally misunderstand the whole situation?? In a Manga?! Un-freaking-believable!!

last edited at Mar 16, 2022 12:22AM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I'm a mostly new reader, I haven't read Liberty regularly since its first few chapters. I don't think this series sucks nearly as much as it's hyped up to. That said, the last 6-7 chapters are a hysterically bad ride, and I'm honestly amazed at just how unashamedly the "shocking" twists and convenient cliffhangers are abused in every single new chapter. Keep going, Izumi. You're awesome.

last edited at Mar 21, 2022 3:48PM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Ranzo posted:

"I wonder if one day I'll become someone worthy of Liz"

Double-posting just cos I gotta say you are a legend for repeatedly posting this every x months. It was a joy to continually see it as I skimmed the thread! lol

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

I'm a mostly new reader, I haven't read Liberty regularly since its first few chapters. I don't think this series sucks nearly as much as it's hyped up to. That said, the last 6-7 chapters are a hysterically bad ride, and I'm honestly amazed at just how unashamedly the "shocking" twists and convenient cliffhangers are abused in every single new chapter. Keep going, Izumi. You're awesome.

I suspect the reason people (myself included, of course), panned this series for ages is because we were reading it as it was coming out. Again, the unapologetic crappy dorama is something that I now enjoy with this work, and if the series started out like that, I doubt many people would have complained. The issue arose precisely because of those first few chapters, which read markedly differently than the rest of the content and which set decidedly different expectations.

I imagine said expectations are far less pronounced if the reader binges the whole thing, even more so because at this point the series has something of a reputation so even new consumers are fairly likely to be aware of what to expect. But when you read it periodically, following the release schedule, with all that time in between that solidifies your expectations (plus, you have no idea of the swerve that is in your path), it can be pretty jarring.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins posted:

I suspect the reason people (myself included, of course), panned this series for ages is because we were reading it as it was coming out. Again, the unapologetic crappy dorama is something that I now enjoy with this work, and if the series started out like that, I doubt many people would have complained. The issue arose precisely because of those first few chapters, which read markedly differently than the rest of the content and which set decidedly different expectations.

I can dig this. I guess a counter to this series would be a newer Kodama Naoko work. A bunch of predictable hand-wringing in the first few chapters and then as the crowd disperses a core audience is left around for real discussion. Expectations are a monster! Skimming the old thread, it also seems like Momono Moto working on this set higher expectations than it could hope to meet. That's a shame!

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Something is wrong. Dynasty scan shows that Chapter 20 is from Galette 22. But Galette 22 is not out yet. Galette 21 is barely out, and indeed Chapter 20 is printed on Galette 21. Incidentally, Galette 21 celebrates her 5 year anniversary. What an achievement
Needless to say I do have Galette 21 myself.

2%20-%20jmdagff
joined Aug 31, 2014

So what would count as “formalizing” the relationship such that Liz would be officially “cheating”?

They live together, sleep together, and kiss in the morning. Liz cries as she thinks about Maki after she sleeps with Shitty-senpai, and calls herself, “the worst.”

In other words, they act like they’re together, and Liz regards herself as cheating, so this legalistic parsing of the term itself seems to be entirely pointless.

EDIT: In fact, in Chapter 12, Liz has described Maki to senpai as her “girlfriend,” and in Chapter 15 Jasmine scolds Liz for cheating. So I’m unclear what series you actually re-read from the beginning.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/liberty_ch15#6

I just wanted to discuss that possible point that Liz was not "cheating" Maki, I know the author makes it obvious and leaves the rest to our interpretation.

I just found this point of view funny that it wasn't so "formal"... and leaving aside the cheating issue.

I would have liked a more direct statement between Maki and Liz from the beginning but I guess it will happen until the end.

Don't worry, they're just comments, don't be so intense hahaha

last edited at Apr 15, 2022 9:34PM

joined Dec 21, 2016

Galette 22 preview is out and Liberty is not there. I guess we'll need to wait until august for chapter 21.

joined Dec 22, 2020

call me old school or whatever but for me sex is something exclusive u did with someone u love or special if not dating... not with EX well i stop reading this the moment she have sex with that shitty ex of her i wish Liz happiness in hell! maki date me i will cherish u till i died! move on! n live well don't be such a dog that follow stupid owner!

joined Aug 8, 2020

Imagine confusing "being coerced into having sex while drunk" with "willfully deciding to cheat on your partner." Couldn't be me.

To reply you must either login or sign up.