joined Apr 12, 2021

Really loved that color page

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Shes not gonna die

Tell that to Your Lie in April!

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

Damn this really went from 0 to 100 real fuckin quick.

joined Oct 2, 2021

Tragedy tag shouldn't be added. Let the reader discover it for themselves.

That’s not how tags work.

I recall that sometimes the moderators will hide a tag like Tragedy when it's a twist, though I'm not sure of the current policy.

Yes, exactly. Imagine that this story is tagged as tragedy. A new reader to this series could make a fair assumption and guess what the tragedy is and who it's going to happen to from the hints throughout the story.

Tags are useful for a guide to let the reader know what's contained within in a story.

I just think that in certain cases, like this one, it should be left untagged.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Personally i'm in the favor to put tags like that on the relevant series. Here i'd prob hold off on it until the series is finished and the supposed tragedy is sure to actually happen or not.

But in general I think being able to make an informed decision whether or not to read a certain series is more important than protecting the twist of the story, especially with themes like this that can be upsetting and/or triggering to people

Pfp5
joined Dec 6, 2021

it's definitely been said before but I love the comedy of the credits page resembling the situation that the characters are in so kaori is in that field in a hospital bed. It brings some amount of levity to a story that is taking a pretty decidedly sad turn, haha

For me, the credit page is where I get the most emotional at. It's just so sad seeing such an innocent drawings depicting the reality of their situation. Something about how desolate and alone those two are in the middle of nowhere covered in fog while everything plays out gets to me. The one where they were holding hands was really sweet. But on the one where Kaori fell over and just lays there while Shizuku is just standing still, unable to help is just heartbreaking. Now we have the one where Kaori is on her deathbed with only Shizuku by her side just staring into the beyond... It's just too much. What makes it worse is that one those ones, we can't see their faces so we can only infer what they are feeling at the time. And all of this just from the credit page.

Kasumi
joined Mar 25, 2019

^ Looking at it again, probably the greatest detail is Kaori's single tear among the raindrops...

Yeah, also noticed it, and instantly remembered: "like tears in the rain ..." .

joined Aug 29, 2016

Oof should this say “tragic ending”

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

There sure is a lot of talk about putting a tragedy tag on this when there hasn't been a tragedy. No need to jump the gun, but continue sharpening your axes for the battle ahead!

Since this chapter was only published a few days ago, the ending is still undetermined. But if anyone thinks it is warranted, they can still suggest the Depressing as fuck tag. Depending on how the story goes, it might still be pretty spoilery.

The general rule, which is consistent, is that tags that would spoil critical plot points are not added. A hidden tags system, like on MD or sad panda, would require a new feature being developed. It's not a small endeavor but I hear it's actively being considered.

last edited at Jan 25, 2022 1:45PM

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I've just read the series and while it is very depressing I think it's executed quite well.

Kaori probably admired Shizuku because the latter was so energetic and lively, which for a sickly girl like her was probably a sort of ideal or foil to herself. From that angle it makes sense why she seems to have invested her last summer on earth to rescue that same girl from her depressed state and return her back to the vigorously living girl she once was. In a way, this reminds me of Useless Princesses, where one character is basically living through the other, although quite literally in this case. Her initial plan of just fading away from Shizuku after summer then kinda makes sense, her objective is to leave Shizuku as revitalised as possible without adding additional trauma. Of course, believing that she could just disappear without causing trauma is naive, but I think it's at least believable motivation.
It also explains why she is willing to use underhanded methods in order to force Shizuku out of her shell and force the meeting with Ruri as well, Shizuku is basically the avatar through whom she wants to continue living, so freeing her from her emotional baggage is Kaori's number one priority, which she pursues relentlessly. She might even be willing to risk Ruri for that, though I'd say that she also believed the meeting would help Ruri, and considering that she still seems to nurse that trauma and isn't really able to forget, that might even be true.

I'd imagine Ichihara and Kaori were in the same class, which is why they know each other. Ruri and Kaori probably spent a lot of time together in the hospital and became friends that way. That kind of raises the question why Kaori claimed to have just heard about the bullying through rumours, because that seems unlikely considering how close she is to both other girls involved. It looks like there's still a piece of information about their elementary school days that she hasn't shared yet, which is interesting.

Overall I would be really surprised if Kaori doesn't die in the end, the entire story seems to be guided by her trying to fix things before her death and Shizuku overcoming trauma, so her death will likely be the final piece of trauma that Shizuku will need to overcome before riding off into the sunset.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

I did support the author for a month, and seven seas has licensed this manga thank God, and I'm buying it immediately.

But jeez, this is turning into The Notebook, but better and more relatable. I'm sad she didn't get to have sex. They were so close >_>. That'd hurt even more though...

As for the tags, maybe a generic potential trigger warning tag? Idk. It's a tough balance that. Although I thought the very first chapter already heavily implied a tragic ending. So... people have already been warned.

last edited at Jan 25, 2022 2:35PM

6631e8220bec2737023f64d8a2b36b99
joined Jul 20, 2020

This..this is depressing. But good writing.

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

I pray to god there will be a happy end

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

The argument, ending with the promise about writing "a romance novel about us", is basically a roundabout confession. That's already a small win in this situation, but they still have a bit of time left so I'm crossing my fingers.

Ana_wolf
joined Jan 4, 2022

I pray to god there will be a happy end

There will be for Shizuku. We see her at the start of the story, so much more confident than she is when we see her at the start of the relationship. It's gonna be a tearful ending for sure, but I think it's that hurt and that pain that will spur Shizuku on to do a lot of great things that she didn't get to do with the girl she loved. I'm not that ready for it myself but we'll see what happens in the next month or so.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Another thing I just noticed: On the very first page of the first chapter, next to the picture of Shizuku and Kaori and Kaori's letter there's the axolotl plushie Shizuku bought for Kaori. If we assume that the room shown is Shizuku's, that pretty much confirms that Kaori is already dead at that point

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Another thing I just noticed: On the very first page of the first chapter, next to the picture of Shizuku and Kaori and Kaori's letter there's the axolotl plushie Shizuku bought for Kaori. If we assume that the room shown is Shizuku's, that pretty much confirms that Kaori is already dead at that point

Probably. Although if one really wants to take a positive spin on it, it could also mean that it's their room now. The latest chapter made a happy ending for them both much more unlikely, though.

last edited at Jan 25, 2022 5:32PM

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

don't mind me, I'm just sobbing

Kyouko
joined Dec 30, 2017

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

Screenshot_20220712-194055_tachiyomi%20(1)
joined Jun 22, 2013

The feels this chapter ;_;

joined Sep 7, 2021

Okay, I get angst.. but what I don't get is this kinda premise..
Are there really people out there who like hanging out with mopey depressants like this MC, like no offense to her, but in my experience, you just become a drain on anyone that tries to get to know you or help you.
I don't get it, don't normal people just wanna be around normal people.. where's the interest. Admittedly I am only a few chapters in. Our ("love interest?") Kaori has her own experience that influences her reasons for being drawn to the MC, if so then perhaps I can understand.. but like I see this story premise often and I can always feel for the MC because its not a good place to be but like seriously, who wants to hang out with these people seriously and even if you want to, is it feasible.. being realistic? Idk, I feel like it really makes it hard to buy into these stories without turning my brain off a bit.

Anyone else feel what I am trying to say here or am I just sounding nutty? Perhaps this another case of me thinking too deep into it. I might be missing something here, probably idk.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Okay, I get angst.. but what I don't get is this kinda premise..
Are there really people out there who like hanging out with mopey depressants like this MC, like no offense to her, but in my experience, you just become a drain on anyone that tries to get to know you or help you.
I don't get it, don't normal people just wanna be around normal people.. where's the interest. Admittedly I am only a few chapters in. Our ("love interest?") Kaori has her own experience that influences her reasons for being drawn to the MC, if so then perhaps I can understand.. but like I see this story premise often and I can always feel for the MC because its not a good place to be but like seriously, who wants to hang out with these people seriously and even if you want to, is it feasible.. being realistic? Idk, I feel like it really makes it hard to buy into these stories without turning my brain off a bit.

Anyone else feel what I am trying to say here or am I just sounding nutty? Perhaps this another case of me thinking too deep into it. I might be missing something here, probably idk.

I think human diversity covers any type of attraction or interest. I don't want to spoil you with later chapters, but there are lots of reasons why this could be the case.

Kaori was interested by something other than Shizuku's isolation.
Kaori is truly touched by the writing.
Kaori is also broken and broken people tend to attract each other.
Kaori's physical attraction overrode her reluctance to be with someone like Shizuku.

People get together for all kinds of reasons. I feel like your comment just says that you wouldn't want to hang out with Shizuku, which is totally fine. But it's not unrealistic for someone to, and that someone happens to be Kaori.

last edited at Jan 26, 2022 4:38PM

10374935_1517148091919036_8454058064875083431_n
joined Apr 7, 2021

This is a really heavy chapter to me. I literally cannot progress pages without pausing for about 5 minutes each.

joined Jun 21, 2021

Why ya gotta do me like that….

joined Jul 14, 2021

Things in Shizuku's room at the start and " our first and last summer started" warned how can it end... There is rly low chance, that for example as they are together, to write good Novel she took some Kaori's belongings and she takes care of her in Hospital... And... And it feels like big miracle and rather it will end in dark way...

To reply you must either login or sign up.