Forum › Making Progress on Yuri Before the Deadline discussion

joined Jun 18, 2020

oh man, was context given that this manga is a spin-off from 'a little sister's all i need'? the pacing in the manga is definitely way faster than in the light novel. and for the excuse about moving in with ebiwara, that background is a solid basis to understand why the characters go to such lengths for some random novelist/author.

i'm actually really excited for this manga to be translated; the first 5 chapters of the ln are available for free, but everything else is shelved behind the books... that being said, thank you butterfly scans for making the translation effort.

the story is by yomi hirasaka, the guy behind 'a little sister is all i need', and also infamously 'i don't have many friends', so we're in it for a wild ride. for everyone feeling punched in the gut after the first 17 pages, i'm sure yomi has more in store for ayu's character development. let's enjoy this journey together. ^.^)9

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

You call THAT parenting?!

TARGET SIGHTED.

FISTS ENGAGE.

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

i do not like lgbt shit because it´s a political movement but same sex atraction it´s a normal thing for humans

That sort of position is untenable. I kind of feel bit sick I even have to make this post, to be honest.

You see, the reason LGBT exists as a group and concept is because these people were constantly put down, misunderstood, targeted, harassed and generally treated as sub-human with less or no rights under the law. I've seen and experienced some of it myself, but was thankfully born late enough to avoid the worst horrors. People finally banded together, and endlessly fought and educated the public just to even get them to see us as normal people, who are also worthy of normal human rights and protections that every citizen should have.

All you need to do is to go back in the good old 1950's in United States, and you'll find out that some people were taken to mental institutions through law enforcement, and those people were then lobotomized! That was one of the legal "cures" for homosexuality at that time.

You also had people running in panic out of public swimming pools, if they heard there might be a homosexual person in there, because of various scares like homosexuality being contagious through any kind of personal contact, or that people got "actively recruited to be gay/bi" (thanks a bunch for that, Anita Bryant), or bit later, you had the AIDS scare that Ronald Reagan was more than happy to use as a political bludgeon and stoke up the fear from his bully pulpit.

Fired from your job because you're gay? Check.

No adoption, because you're not straight? Check.

Children and right to meet them taken away in divorce, just because you're not straight? Check.

No loans or building permits, because homosexual? Even as late as 1980-2015, statistically you were 73% more likely to be denied a house loan as a same sex couple. Check!

Police literally raiding your business (bar or whever else), because there might be gays or something in there, and beating up and arresting people just because they were born? This eventually lead to events of Stonewall. Check!

No talking about anything except straight people in school by teachers or students (no promo homo legislation), or you'll be thrown out / fired! Check! This list just goes on and on and on.

So unfortunately, it is those other "normal people" with religiously or personally inspired, bigoted beliefs who turned this into a political issue by using force, coercion and outright abuse. Many of these things were also things women had to fight for. Financial independence was hardly automatically granted to women, and in many countries it took ages to let them even have things like their own savings accounts at bank, without approval of a male relative or male spouse.

last edited at Dec 2, 2021 1:07AM

DaSupremeXtream
Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

oh man, was context given that this manga is a spin-off from 'a little sister's all i need'? the pacing in the manga is definitely way faster than in the light novel. and for the excuse about moving in with ebiwara, that background is a solid basis to understand why the characters go to such lengths for some random novelist/author.

i'm actually really excited for this manga to be translated; the first 5 chapters of the ln are available for free, but everything else is shelved behind the books... that being said, thank you butterfly scans for making the translation effort.

the story is by yomi hirasaka, the guy behind 'a little sister is all i need', and also infamously 'i don't have many friends', so we're in it for a wild ride. for everyone feeling punched in the gut after the first 17 pages, i'm sure yomi has more in store for ayu's character development. let's enjoy this journey together. ^.^)9

Yo shit, for real? That's kinda based. Maybe we'll even get an anime adaptation of the LN, too, considering his other works got adaptations and those works are quite famous, as well.

On a side note, it's kinda interesting how a lot of the veterans, such as Jun Maeda and Reki Kawahari, are dipping their toes into Yuri. Love seeing the genre expand more and more, with such talent even putting their support behind it

joined Apr 19, 2020

There's so few manga that deal with the bullying that comes with being lgbt, if that keeps up this could be pretty good.

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

It's angst and comedy. So this manga be playing with my emotions too? Let's go. I relate so much of being closeted and the same time we found out our sexuality. Let it be gay.

joined Mar 26, 2021

Another manga with Manga artist and Jk, well give it a try cuz it doesn't look bad for now

Ezisrudvkaylvds
joined Jan 19, 2021

If this pulls some "But you have to forgive your parents because they're family" bs like 30 chapters down the line i will physically fight the author

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

It has been quite a while since I read a yuri manga that honestly and succinctly addressed the issues LGBT members face in a conservative and patriarchical society like Japan (The only recent exception for me would be Tsuki to Koi wa Michireba Kakeru, but that one is actually fairly old). Of course many works will dabble into themes of rejection or ignorance, but it is rarely the full package. The main characters will always have someone who accepts them when others do not almost immediately.

It is almost never focused on the fact that superficially Japan (and many other countries) are more "accepting" of these minorities, but in actuality will still be completely bigoted when it happens in close proximity to them. It is something I have been pointing out a lot to people who wholesale buy into everything being fine for lesbians in Japan, because of survey results like 70% of Japanese citizens are for gay marriage rights etc. The hipocrisy of a superficially polite society like Japan is so rarely addressed by the media within it.

Another very rarely addressed aspect is the nuance for how a lesbian is not attracted to every girl around her automatically, but that the sexual component (especially for a teenager) also doesnt just disappear. Mainstream Yuri tends to go for one direction or the other: The perfect "I only fell for this one girl because it's her, not especially because I am attracted to girls" romance that ignores every and all potential attraction to other girls... or the type where the lesbian is always horny for everyone around her and the concept of normal friends almost disappears completely.

As for the story itself, it is the perfect fantasy yuri set-up with a high school lesbian moving to a new place with a beautiful woman who could immediately be her love interest, where everything is convenient and falls into place. But the way this set-up is completely subverted right out the gate is done so well. Ayu is hopeful with her new start, but already scarred by bad experiences in a very delicate phase of her life. She is also dependent on this job and cannot afford getting ostracized due to sexuality again, especially in such a delicate situation as living with another woman. Whether the author is accepting or not, she has already implied to be heterosexual in their very first exchange, so Ayu simply cannot risk it. The fantasy scenario is suddenly a prison of deceit and self-loathing. It is quite well done, even if depressing.

Though I doubt the story will actually go into that direction, realistically Ayu moved to Tokyo to find other people similar to her, so as her job is just a source of income, she can spend her free time still looking for those people and get over her attraction to the author. If she found a girlfriend this situation would mostly solve itself. Instead, of course, it will most likely just focus on her struggle to hide her attraction while the author (whether she is actually het or just hiding her sexuality too) will constantly tempt her by acting overly casual with skinship and closeness and acting kind.

This being a yuri manga I simply have to assume that it will eventually be revealed the author is at the very least bisexual and that her interest in cute girls is not platonic after all, but the dynamic, the motivations and the build up to that are very promising.

last edited at Dec 2, 2021 3:09AM

joined May 8, 2018

Whoa. This is pretty nice and believable. Also, being gay for a straight(?) girl is always a pain. I'm looking forward to more of this manga!

Edit: Padoru!

last edited at Dec 2, 2021 2:59AM

joined Jun 1, 2020

I don't know what y'all were talking about before but the pacing is perfect for a first chapter. The exposition is laid out in a way that isn't a drag to reab through, it's punchy and gets the story set up where it needs to be. I hope it keeps it up

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Normaly dont mind age gap with high scholl characters, but it is kinda bugging me this time and i dont realy know why. Maybe its because the mc seens to be in a realy vulnerable position.
Anyway, thanks for the translation Azhure and butterflyscans.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

It's interesting that Kuroki Tomoko, even though she shied away from "gachirezu" Mako, knows about LGBT stuff. So these other girls may include closeted ones like Tomoko.

Loona%20avatar%20small
joined Oct 28, 2020

i do not like lgbt shit because it´s a political movement but same sex atraction it´s a normal thing for humans

Struggling for basic human rights is not about "being political." Your bigotry and gross lack of judgement is showing.

last edited at Dec 2, 2021 4:33AM

joined Jun 18, 2020

Yo shit, for real? That's kinda based. Maybe we'll even get an anime adaptation of the LN, too, considering his other works got adaptations and those works are quite famous, as well.

i do hope so myself! i'm aware that yomi is currently writing 2 novels at once this time (the other is titled 'weirdo salad bowl/salad bowl of eccentrics'), the latter of which looks like it's an isekai pvp fantasy novel where people across different regions of japan gather and... something happens? since the landscape of jp media seems to take a liking to isekai stories, it does make me fear this work would be left in the background while the other receives more marketing + press...

either way, i'm a big fan of yomi, so i'll keep my eyes peeled for info.

This being a yuri manga I simply have to assume that it will eventually be revealed the author is at the very least bisexual and that her interest in cute girls is not platonic after all, but the dynamic, the motivations and the build up to that are very promising.

yomi hirasaka's gender has been debated for ages. hence, this is something i can't confirm, but i can say for sure that their works have been quite queer-coded in the past, though to varying degrees. in 'a little sister's all you need', the girls often strip while bonding, and in 'i don't have many friends', the main heroine moves in with another to escape family abuse. (<< this is also the reason why i don't think we'll see a "you have to accept your family no matter what!" stance from the author, though i feel someone who's read 'a little sister's all you need' should probably verify/vouch for this further.) though i'm only speaking from their last 2 titles, both of which have been significant in their own ways, i'm sure their first title way back in the day (titled 'haunted!', featuring a girl ghost haunting another girl) was probably just as queer-coded too.

joined Aug 8, 2020

This one is gonna hurt. But it will be a good pain.

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

i actually like long black hair more too
but she's still cute tho

"even lewd things?"
"can we!?"
LMAO

last edited at Dec 2, 2021 7:51AM

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

yeah,chapter 1 and we already know her parents are shit
i hope we won't see them again

and she just punch that one guy lol

this one will be pretty painful huh,i think i'll follow this too

last edited at Dec 2, 2021 8:02AM

Greenmage%202
joined Jul 29, 2017

pretty good start, gonna follow this

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Very good job, it's so natural for me and the people I know to be out of the closet and enjoying life that I forget it can be even a life or death matter to others, in other regions in the world.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

lol what does this even...then go away :P

catsfootironclaw
Imagem_2021-10-09_150323
joined Oct 9, 2021

I think this warrants an age gap tag since this is presumably going to be 16 year old x 22 year old

I don't think they're going to get together. I'm putting a bet that the mangaka is going to be a more accepting mother figure, In fact I don't even see the series ending with the MC having a partner at the end.

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

"Its not that I can't, I just don't." Damn I felt that.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

I think it should be safe to touch on the HS's sexuality without sexualizing the HSer, and I'm hopeful this manga explores that.

Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

There's so few manga that deal with the bullying that comes with being lgbt, if that keeps up this could be pretty good.

It's made by the guy who did Haganai and "A Sister is All You Need", both popular works that have very popular anime. My hope is that the big name of the author could make this one popular enough, too, to get an anime, which can also be popular and, thus, encourage even more big names to enter the Yuri scene and provide more variety to the genre.

I also hope Jun Maeda's new Yuri novel, which people are calling his best work yet, gets adapted, too, especially by a studio like KyoAni. It's quite exciting seeing big names enter the Yuri scene and seeing the genre grow so much from it.

I think it should be safe to touch on the HS's sexuality without sexualizing the HSer, and I'm hopeful this manga explores that.

Dunno how likely that is when the author's forte tends to be ecchi comedies and whatnot but it is possible that they leave their comfort zone to do something different.

I've read that some of the big yuri artists, like Mira, Ayanero Taicho, and Morishima Akiko are actually straight women, interestingly enough. Mira apparently even has a husband and kids, too. If this is true and not just some made up rumour, what that shows is something that's been said for a long time, which is that the Yuri genre really is one that kind of transcends gender and sexuality, for all to enjoy

last edited at Dec 2, 2021 2:56PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.