Forum › Alcohol and Ogre-girls discussion

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I'm way less familiar with Japanese folklore and culture and stuff than you might expect from someone that frequents this website, and I didn't really bat an eye at the term "ogre", I just accepted this is what it is in this particular story :P
Although if you used "oni" instead I wouldn't think about it twice either. Some sort of creature with horns, and it's pictured immediately after the term is first used so I don't think it matters that much.

... and I think that a reason for translating something which amounts to "don't make the reader do any unnecesary research" is a perfectly good reason. It's more or less the point of translating stuff, make the reader understand the story.

last edited at Nov 26, 2021 12:41PM

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

The only reason it's common to replace Oni with Ogre is for stupid gaijin barbarians that are not familiar with Japanese folklore to get a idea of the monster, without having to do any gasp research or something.

Come on, this is a little much. Like yea it's hyperbole but, jeeze.

My view on the topic I think is like, even for those westerners who don't know jack about Japanese culture and mythology, this manga actually defines Oni quite well. Like, you already need to define it so we know all the stuff about ogres needing alcohol, or their ancester, could just call it an Oni at that point, cause you already have a crash course. But I don't think this is an unpopular opinion lol

last edited at Nov 26, 2021 1:18PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

... and I think that a reason for translating something which amounts to "don't make the reader do any unnecesary research" is a perfectly good reason. It's more or less the point of translating stuff, make the reader understand the story.

"Unnecessary research" is an oxymoron.

joined Jul 26, 2016

...the history and hoplology nerd in me is having to engage in some intense tongue-biting to not nitpick on several parts of the above. >_>

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

...the history and hoplology nerd in me is having to engage in some intense tongue-biting to not nitpick on several parts of the above. >_>

That's a first.

joined Jul 26, 2016

That's a first.

I'm trying to break a bad habit ok .-.

More topically, would you like some jelly filled doughnuts...?

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I love getting jelly filled donuts with my cousin (we're both girls btw)

Black.rider.240.2287453
joined Oct 28, 2021

It's so adorable, and I really like the art style.
I can't wait for the next chapter...

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

This looks like it will be a fun story.

Not a fan of Oni being translated as Ogre (personal pet peeve, lol), but otherwise this looks great!

Gotta say I'm with you there. Ogres and Oni are not the same thing. Let me put it this way: If I was reading a Western fantasy book written in English, with a Japanese setting, and it had Oni, they'd call them Oni. I know because I've read several such and that's what they do.
For that matter, I've read at least one manga that did have at least one ogre girl who was in fact a Western ogre (along with an elf girl, an orc girl, a werewolf girl etc) so when I saw "Ogre girl" I was glumly expecting an actual ogre girl.

Ogre is the closest Western mythological analogue, though, and while depictions of either aren't exactly what you'd call rigorously consistent they share a lot of traits and themes.

Another question entirely is why the term should be translated in the first place. Basically anyone who's had any meaningful amount of contact with Japanese popular culture knows what it means after all...

Well, exactly. Sure, if you're going to translate it at all, I guess ogre is what you've got (although I've seen demon, but that has problems too). But why translate it? As I say, an English language book, not translated at all, would almost certainly use the Japanese term.

I think "demon" is probably a closer analog than "ogre" but honestly neither fit. It would be a bit like if you translated "La Llorona" into "banshee." They both have a lot of traits in common but they are not the same thing. Both terms describe distinct entities that are unique to the cultures that spawned them. You can't just insert the closest legend from the culture you are translating the source material for and have it work. Another example would be if you translated "Godzilla" as "Lockness Monster."

20180630_180023-412x427
joined Feb 25, 2014

I personally don't notice the whole ogre=oni thing going on because the art and chars are just too fluffy.

last edited at Nov 26, 2021 9:34PM

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

This is phenomenal and I cannot wait for more

Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

It's iike Raiden Mei and Raven actually hooked up, with Raven breaking out in full bartender mode. I'm perfectly okay with this.

joined Jul 26, 2016

It's iike Raiden Mei and Raven actually hooked up, with Raven breaking out in full bartender mode.

This is a false analog.

Naori isn't pointlessly edgy.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Whoopsie, I make a post about my peeve and come back to see I set off a big discussion (>_<)7
Seriously though, if it's based on the official translation of the title then I can understand the choice to go with it through the whole thing. Still bugs me, but I'm not gonna make a fuss about it and ruin what could be a fun manga. I'm really looking forward to more!

joined Sep 7, 2021

A drama free SOL comedy that's not set in school. Nice.

Img_1857
joined Apr 4, 2021

Also something I noticed, the term pervert probably comes because she called her hentai in Japanese, right? it has a broad meaning there I think, here it comes out too strong imo, because it sounds sexual and she's just happily making a drink.

I thought the same, "Weirdo" would probably be a bit more apt given the context

Ahh was just about to ask about this. Thanks for this clarification!

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

I read both chapters in one sitting and it was really enjoyable. Can't wait for the next one.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I was too curious so I looked up the Japanese dub for Shrek and they call him Kaibutsu lo/ not ogre or Oni, but something more akin to monster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o1HDZSnCcA I think the word Ogre in Japanese would not work, like Oguru or Oguretto? it was an interesting culture talk I think, aaaand that's all I'm going to say about the topic haha

0003_proc
joined Jul 21, 2019

I hope they'll introduce the descendant of Ibaraki Douji as well. Can't have Shuten without Banana after all.

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

It's like replacing Tokyo with New York. Both are names of capitals of the country, so technically they're the same and your readers are more likely to be familiar with New York than Tokyo, so it makes perfect sense, right?

Strawmanning the entire practice of localization, the process of recreating the original artistic experience for a new audience and the gold standard for any even remotely professional translation, isn't going to persuade anyone. Is it rough here? Sure, absolutely. Does that mean awkward, direct translations with flattened character voices where new audiences have to be in the know or interrupt their reading experience to look something up are inherently superior? I don't think so, but I can strawman too. Personally, I think translations where you don't adapt for a target audience do a massive disservice to the creator and their art while straying very far from their intended reading experience

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

ogre alcohol yuri saikou

Jpeg_20190202_220408
joined Mar 21, 2019

I bet the bartender girl is somewhat related to yorimitsu guy, that's why her family know so much about drinks

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Sincerely hoping we can drop the TL discussion to actually discuss the manga! I was super duper happy it got picked up! Thanks for all ur work, /u/

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

AHHHHGGG I LOVE THEM AHHHH

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Ouch!! How does one's wrist even turn like that?!?

Cute couple. Love the art style.

To reply you must either login or sign up.