Forum › Anemone is in Heat discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s still a weird title in English, though. It’s not clear (to me, anyway—there’s always the possibility of a complex Japanese pun lurking somewhere) why the MC, or any of the characters, would be analogous to that specific type of flower.

And the term “in heat” refers to the estrus cycle of certain mammals when they are sexually receptive and capable of reproduction (as opposed to humans, who are among the species that have a menstrual cycle rather than an estrus cycle, and can be sexually active without ovulation). Referring to a human as being “in heat” implies that they are physically horny in an animalistic and instinctual way.

Putting the two together mixes botany with mammalian biology, and also deploys a specifically sexual (as opposed to romantic) image in a story that (so far) hardly seems to be about hormone-driven sexual cravings.

Although one can always hope.

joined Jun 21, 2021

It’s still a weird title in English, though. It’s not clear (to me, anyway—there’s always the possibility of a complex Japanese pun lurking somewhere) why the MC, or any of the characters, would be analogous to that specific type of flower.

Welp a quick Wikipedia search did not make me happy

“In other cultures, the meanings differ. In Chinese and Egyptian cultures, the flower of anemone was considered a symbol of illness due to its coloring. The anemone can be a symbol of bad luck in Eastern cultures. The Japanese anemone may be associated with ill tidings.”

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

“In other cultures, the meanings differ. In Chinese and Egyptian cultures, the flower of anemone was considered a symbol of illness due to its coloring. The anemone can be a symbol of bad luck in Eastern cultures. The Japanese anemone may be associated with ill tidings.”

Thanks for that, and yeah, now I got nothin’.

Unless maybe Mashiro’s mysterious illness turns out to be caused by her unrelieved sexual cravings, and the only way for her to recover is to . . . but perhaps I’ve said too much.

(OK, a massive H-swerve coming up—you heard it here first, people.)

last edited at Oct 24, 2021 8:49PM

joined Jun 21, 2021

Well I just decided to go straight to the translation team for more clarification on the name and this is what I got

“the title Anemone is in heat is a direct translation from 'Anemone wa Netsu wo Obiru', which is the original title. At the same time, the mangaka added her own English translation, which is 'The Girl Doesn't Know Her Heat'. We didn't bring up the heat, the mangaka did, and we simply translated it accordingly because changing the title too was not in our best intention.”

Didn’t really answer the main point of our speculation, but for whatever reason that phrasing is apparently pretty deliberate on the creators part lol

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well I just decided to go straight to the translation team for more clarification on the name and this is what I got

“the title Anemone is in heat is a direct translation from 'Anemone wa Netsu wo Obiru', which is the original title. At the same time, the mangaka added her own English translation, which is 'The Girl Doesn't Know Her Heat'. We didn't bring up the heat, the mangaka did, and we simply translated it accordingly because changing the title too was not in our best intention.”

Didn’t really answer the main point of our speculation, but for whatever reason that phrasing is apparently pretty deliberate on the creators part lol

Thanks once again. So much information, and yet we none the wiser.

joined Jan 14, 2020

I plugged 'Anemone ha [it didn't handle 'wa' right] Netsu wo Obiru' into Google Translate, which says "Anemone gets hot". More usefully, Google gives me kanji, which Rikaichamp/10ten can give me hints on.

アネモネ は 熱 を 帯びる

熱 [ねつ] (1) (n) heat (2) (n) fever; temperature (3) (n,suf) zeal; passion; enthusiasm; mania; craze; rage

帯びる [おびる] (1) (v1,vt) to wear (sword, decoration, etc.); to carry (2) (v1,vt) to be entrusted (e.g. with a mission); to take on (3) (v1,vt) to have a trace of; to be tinged with

The verb seems straightforward, going with (3), but is 'netsu' here physical warmth, fever, or intimate passion? Given the story so far I'm going with "yes", and imagining the mangaka giggling madly when she realized how she could play with the different meanings.

The passion one is 'suffix', and isn't explicitly that kind of passion, so maybe I'm overthinking.

But yeah, we still don't know why 'Anemone'. (And is that flower or sea anemone?)

last edited at Oct 25, 2021 12:13AM

joined Feb 1, 2021

Just from what we've seen so far, "symbol of bad luck" might be an angle worth exploring. At the beginning of the story, they're both suffering from what they see as bad luck - Nagisa not getting the school she wanted because she simply took the time to help a random stranger, and Mashiro back in the infirmary again no matter how tired she gets of the place. But without those things happening, they wouldn't have been able to develop this warm relationship together.

Of course, that's mere speculation based only on the chapters I've seen so far. Maybe future developments will cast the title in a new light.

Maxresdefault2
joined Jan 31, 2018

The art in this is really really cute. Also, this chapter was amazingly cute. That handholding scene was impressive. I just wish we didn't go the 'dumb misunderstanding' route, but it seems it'll be solved quickly... probably three chapters? I mean, Nagisa's pretty bold lately.

IceCreamFortress
Utena%20smug
joined Sep 11, 2016

Oh my god this is adorable. How come this isn't more popular?!

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

[ ...]
But yeah, we still don't know why 'Anemone'. (And is that flower or sea anemone?)

I think in this case "Anemone" is simply a reference to how Mashiro has a sickly constitution. One of the meanings did point to "illness" and there's also this point:

That the mangaka themself translated the title to "The Girl Doesn't Know Her Heat" instead of a reference to the other definitions that the flower Anemone has in the flower language

Violetpfp
joined Aug 12, 2021

AGH- it was SOO CLOSE >_<

It only gets better or worse, but I'll be here for it !

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
But wait does Mashiro remember how MC helped her at the entrance exam day?

IceCreamFortress
Utena%20smug
joined Sep 11, 2016

These two will be the death of me >////<

Istockphoto-615619820-170667a%20-%20copy
joined Nov 1, 2021

cute girls doing cute stuffs hell yeah

joined Dec 13, 2018

why is the page 12 face so hilarious

"welp you're confessing to me I guess eh"

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Oh no she gone useless again.

joined Jun 21, 2021

The beginning and end of chapter 13 is so wholesome, and Nagisa smile is precious and must be protected. It’s so cute that mashiro can tell Nagisa has been happier lately.

Hopefully they figure it out within like the next two chapters, I think this series has more than enough juice to not end after they become a couple, I need some chapters of them together

last edited at Nov 24, 2021 3:35AM

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

new chapter :DDD

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

All the doki.

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

I swear to god, Mashiro's face is fucking just scientifically designed to tug at my heartstrings
It's like the universe went and summoned God to deliver Sakuragi Ren his most greatest of divine blessings as she was being drawn
Truly is a wonderful miracle

C12%20wink
joined Oct 29, 2020

yo this is so fucking cute

joined Feb 1, 2021

Still isn't clear yet - author may be holding it out as a plot twist in future chapters

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

That girl giving up the ghost in the background gave me a good laugh. Oh, please add a bunch of pointless profanity where needed in my statement.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

It looks like the flower that keeps appearing around Nagisa is called anemone coronaria.

It seems to be used as Nagisa's signature flower.

Mashiro has her own signature flower as well:

I just think that's neat. I wonder what Mashiro's flower is called.

last edited at Nov 25, 2021 10:23AM

Xerine%20and%20xeri
joined Sep 30, 2021

Still isn't clear yet - author may be holding it out as a plot twist in future chapters

Tbh I've been expecting that twist from early on, but that might just be trope-based assumptions kicking in. We'll see, though I have the feeling that if she does remember, it'll be revealed when the idiot couple finds out it's mutual lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.