Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

The first part of the latest chapter made the second part obvious to me: Sulfur's attempt at acting evil was far too awkward for it to be anything other than a ruse, and Utena knew it the whole time. The question is, is this how Vena actually wanted things to go?

last edited at Oct 19, 2021 12:30AM

Genbuakicon
joined Jun 27, 2015

Shut up, you evil muppet

The most satisfying part of this comic so far has been Utena telling Vena off for once.

last edited at Oct 19, 2021 12:36AM

__sakura_futaba_persona_and_persona_5_drawn_by_kion_kun__d693cf24f18f5565a7cc666e236df3fc
joined Apr 9, 2019

If I didn't know any better, it seems like Utena is training Tres Magia to become powerful enough to defeat Venalita when he tries to make his eventual coup or something.

joined Oct 3, 2016

Utena is definitely making Tres Magia more powerful. All that's left is Magenta

last edited at Oct 19, 2021 1:06AM

joined May 31, 2019

I came for bdsm yuri, and stayed for the gourmet maho shoujo. Baiser as villain is just damn good wtf.

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

I really love the 4d chess we seem to be in the middle of right now. It's really clear at this point what Utena is doing. I'm curious about the rationale though.

Tumblr_plvohxwphc1ulm2g8_540
joined Sep 25, 2015

Sulfur the undying.

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

Ohhhh does Utena wants the Tres Magia to upgrade ? But for what reason

joined Jan 18, 2018

IM DEAD UTENA AND I HAVE THE SAME BDAY

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

As already stated, definitely seems Utena is setting something up. I love the intrigue and the plot hook. I need to know!

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Ohhhh does Utena wants the Tres Magia to upgrade ? But for what reason
I really love the 4d chess we seem to be in the middle of right now. It's really clear at this point what Utena is doing. I'm curious about the rationale though.

IMO Utena just loves magical girls on principle. She may have some end goal in mind, but she'd want Tres Magia to grow more and more powerful even if she didn't, because she simply watching them do so soothes her soul (as opposed to spanking Azul, which pleases her body instead).

The first part of the latest chapter made the second part obvious to me: Sulfur's attempt at acting evil was far too awkward for it to be anything other than a ruse, and Utena knew it the whole time. The question is, is this how Vena actually wanted things to go?

I wouldn't surprise me if Vena didn't have just as firm a grasp on human psychology as Utena, but I think that his end goal is very similar to Utena's: to unlock Tres Magia's full potential. It's where the two of them are going to direct that potential afterwards that is probably very different for them.

Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

Utena just out there bringing out the best in everyone x)

Lol%20eiko
joined Mar 29, 2021

Certified seigi no mikata moment. Seems like shenanigans are afoot considering it was Vena who suggested that Sulfur should "betray" Tres magia and now it has led to her powerup. Now there's only Magenta left. Feels bad when you get drip fed the story only once a month, but the quality that comes with each month is pretty much worth the wait.

joined Sep 11, 2019

Damn, I gotta wait for more. See ya'll next month lol.

Money_marie%202
joined Jan 18, 2017

I wonder what theme her outfit will be.
I hope the theme is Police brutality

Rsz_wa
joined Sep 5, 2019

Baiser is so strong now lol, she's like a real villain

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

Oh that got me good. Sulfur has gone way up in my opinion. Can't wait to see what happens with her next. Maybe it's just me but it seems like the characters are showing way more skin now, like Sulfur is just straight up naked at the end which surpises that the author was allowed to draw that. Though the author draws fantastic art, I love the emotion in the faces.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I may have noted this before but Utena gets off a little too much on Kaoruko's persistent efforts to outright murder her... What a thrill~ combined with the usual teenager failure to grasp your own mortality I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, that explains why Baiser didn't immediately reject her out of disgust. Playing along with an obvious fake is fine as well; had she really wanted to betray them, I doubt Baiser would have ever accepted it, judging by her reaction to Azul breaking.

I may have noted this before but Utena gets off a little too much on Kaoruko's persistent efforts to outright murder her... What a thrill~ combined with the usual teenager failure to grasp your own mortality I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, it's magical girls giving their best. It's exactly what Utena lives for.

last edited at Oct 19, 2021 3:53PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Baiser is so strong now lol, she's like a real villain

I hope Tres Magia one day realize how lucky they are to have her as their nemesis. If it was another villainess of comparable power who didn't love them so much (even if in her own pervy way), they would have all been dead long ago -- if not by her hands, then by those of that other villainess whom Utena defeated earlier (whose name I don't remember).

joined Jul 26, 2016

I mean, it's magical girls giving their best. It's exactly what Utena lives for.

Magical Girls don't normally opt for lethal force as the default first-choice method for dealing with villains ya know... Utena seems to have something of a dangerous fascination with Kaoruko's convention-bucking straight-for-the-jugular Heroic Sociopath approach and definitely gets a huge rush out of putting her life on the line against her. (That Bitch In Sheep's Clothing aspect probably also resonates with her own duality issues.)

Probably part of why she's so stoked about managing to push her into a Super Saiyajin level upgrade as given the pretty rapid evolution Baiser's undegone lately Sulfur has definitely gotten rather powercrept - and it's just not the same without the thrill of real mortal danger, is it?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Probably part of why she's so stoked about managing to push her into a Super Saiyajin level upgrade as given the pretty rapid evolution Baiser's undegone lately Sulfur has definitely gotten rather powercrept - and it's just not the same without the thrill of real mortal danger, is it?

With so many others powering up, she'll obviously have to do her part to help Sulfur catch up as well.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

As much as Utena is playing her part as the BBEG (and loves doing it), i'd personally put her squarely in anti-hero territory, in the grand scheme of the series.
It hasn't really been apparent for a while but Utena isn't really Vena's ally at all. They blackmailed her into becoming a villain and I have no doubt that Utena has an evil scheme going to eventually get rid of that little, evil muppet. And to that end Tres Magia naturally have to be strong enough to rise up to the challenge

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

I wouldn't surprise me if Vena didn't have just as firm a grasp on human psychology as Utena, but I think that his end goal is very similar to Utena's: to unlock Tres Magia's full potential. It's where the two of them are going to direct that potential afterwards that is probably very different for them.

Yeah, I think we’re starting to see the rumored undercurrents of the story come to life. Things’ve been hinted at for a while, but the conflict between her and Venalita is brand new. She seems way, way more solid in herself now, with her own vision, and isn’t just indulging herself. They might come to butt heads soon here, in a more serious way, once everybody’s all powered up. I can’t wait.

Speaking more to this chapter… I still don’t have Sulfur fully figured out. She doesn’t really seem to be a participant in the BDSM play the way the others are: she reminds me a little of Sister Gigant in that way, and I wonder what her resolve comes from and whether she might have more insight into the magical girl thing than the other characters. Or maybe she’s just angry. IDK, but it seems like her thing is resisting adversity. It seems like she wants to fight, knock-down, drag-out, bruises on both sides kind of deal. I wonder if the next chapter will show that that’s some kind of kink thing as well, like battles for dominance, or dominant masochism, or something about struggling. IDK. Right now she’s definitely the best she’s been, but she doesn’t seem thematically consistent yet.

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

Oh this is good. Suffer and Baiser have always been the two with the worst "comunication" between them, but I feel like that's about to change.

To reply you must either login or sign up.