Forum › Kimi to Tsuzuru Utakata discussion

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Wow you guys are freaking toxic to hate on this story. You've clearly never hurt someone very badly before. You never have lost someone you actually care deeply about, but you just showed it the wrong way, and you didn't know any better.

Thank you for your hard work scanlating team. And I hope there's more of this story soon.

13320157_522707027938643_73759181_n
joined Mar 31, 2018

omg im getting anxious i hope she will be okay

Rsz_20201104_224357
joined Sep 15, 2020

Ruri and Shizuku really need therapy they both have some problems. Shizuku's bullying didn't even seem that much to me I mean I sympathize with Ruri but I feel like it was exaggerated too much. Furthermore, everyone in that school is such a hypocrite they critcized Shizuku but did the exact same thing. Why not try to help the victim first? And why are people hating on Shizuku so much it's not like she wants to be forgiven???? I think she just wants to at least apologize to Ruri, honestly feels like a closure for both of them. Btw calling Shizuku selfish is weird too it's not like she ask Kaori to do all of these things in the first place????? If you don't have any constructive criticism maybe just don't comment at all.

last edited at Oct 8, 2021 8:56AM

joined May 15, 2021

Damn the main characters in this manga are so fucking selfish. Here's Kaori clearly taking advantage of Ruri's friendship to have her come see Hoshikawa, even though Ruri clearly didn't want anything to do with this shit. And then there's Hoshikawa who wants to apologize just to feel better about herself. It never crossed her mind that maybe Ruri didn't want to ever see her again. Bunch of assholes, both of them.

Facing a problem is part of process of solving it, and thats what they did here, Ruri got to see that she was truly sorry for what she did even tho she didnt forgave her at the end and now Shizuku can be "at peace"

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

this turn into a silent voice but bad, jesus i thought ruri was going to be like "fuck off i don´t want anything to do with you " i wasn´t expecting that kind of reaction, like sure shizuku was being hella rude and insensitive but it´s not like she was beating her or stealing her money heck she wasn´t even mocking her for being clumsy. The author is triying way to hard to guilt trip shizuku without fully commiting the same way a silent voice did

last edited at Oct 8, 2021 1:34AM

joined Dec 30, 2018

uhh dead ending..... bye bye kaori and WELCOME TO HELL SHIZUKU, MAY YOUR SOUL NEVER FIND PEACE AFTER KAORI DEAD. i hate this character so much make me wants to bully her till no end.

What is wrong with you

joined Dec 30, 2018

This story cuts deep i hope everything will be alright

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

lmao i know this series is being super cereal right now, but that credit pic was kinda hilarious

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

uhh dead ending..... bye bye kaori and WELCOME TO HELL SHIZUKU, MAY YOUR SOUL NEVER FIND PEACE AFTER KAORI DEAD. i hate this character so much make me wants to bully her till no end.

What is wrong with you

Some one who was bullied becoming a bully I guess, or has a screw loose.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Such lovely moments, and then so much absolutely heartbreaking pain...

Untitled%20(3)
joined Jan 7, 2019

this turn into a silent voice but bad, jesus i thought ruri was going to be like "fuck off i don´t want anything to do with you " i wasn´t expecting that kind of reaction, like sure shizuku was being hella rude and insensitive but it´s not like she was beating her or stealing her money heck she wasn´t even mocking her for being clumsy. The author is triying way to hard to guilt trip shizuku without fully commiting the same way a silent voice did

This, I feel like the story is exaggerating what shizuku did in the past like she killed someone, and Ruri is so scared of her, like, you can't even consider what she did in the past bullying if you actually know what bullying actually is, but I guess, it depends on the person, in the end, I feel like both of them have some kind of problem mentally.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This, I feel like the story is exaggerating what shizuku did in the past like she killed someone, and Ruri is so scared of her, like, you can't even consider what she did in the past bullying if you actually know what bullying actually is, but I guess, it depends on the person, in the end, I feel like both of them have some kind of problem mentally.

There does seem to be something a bit off in the overall tone here, or the action is disproportionate to the emotional reactions, or something.

It's clear that as a child Shikuzu was praised for her directness and for saying clearly what she thought (which itself is a little odd--my impression is that those are not exactly the primary qualities valued in young Japanese women), and she thoughtlessly ended up making those qualities into negatives when she interacted with Ruri. As mentioned above, in A Silent Voice Shoya is a hardcore bully, even leading the rest of his class in persecuting a classmate because of her disability. Certainly Shizuku was wrong in the way she acted, but not exactly "Next up--suicide!" wrong.

Kaori articulates pretty clearly how Shizuku is being too hard on herself, so it's not like the author is intentionally over-exaggerating what the character did just to ramp up the emotional stakes. On the other hand, Ruri seems to have been incredibly fragile and vulnerable from the very beginning (and that's fine in itself--some people are), but five years later she seems even worse, and is still fixated on what Shizuku did back then (behavior which Shizuku stopped as soon as she realized what she was doing).

And Kaori herself is a rather odd character--at first she seems like just a genki-for-yuri girl, then there's almost a bit of a benign stalker-from-the-past feel, and then later she seems to be a doomed angel who has come to redeem Shizuku of her guilt (for an offense that doesn't seem to be quite bad enough that anyone needs to be doomed about it).

Maybe further development will resolve these issues, but at this point something does seem rather out of balance here.

last edited at Oct 8, 2021 10:26AM

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

tbh,i'm just like Ruri(or maybe worse),if someone bully me,even if it's unintentional,it would definitely ruined my life

last edited at Oct 8, 2021 12:14PM

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

okay we need a doctor now,Kaori....don't die please....

and umm,sorry but,that chibi thing at the end,looks really sad

last edited at Oct 8, 2021 12:21PM

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

It's been a long time since I read the earlier chapters so I don't remember the exact tone, but that reaction was a lot worse than I was expecting. It's not like she was beating her next to death or anything. Ruri flinching upon seeing her was...a stronger reaction than I was expecting.

Ruri must be the most gentle and fragile of snowflakes to be so unendingly tortured by what our girl did 5 years prior. I worry for her future. If she's still so afraid of what Shizuku did, I don't have high hopes she'll be able to cope in an adult workforce. Seri probably is not helping. She looks like one of those protector types that don't allow the protected to actually grow up. Notice how every emotion at first comes from her mouth, and not Ruri, until Kaori literally rips her away from Ruri for a moment to give them time to actually talk. I understand how she feels but she needs to help Ruri actually...get better. Not just coddle her. Jesus.

And this is where we learn Kaori has dead girl disease, no doubt. Something I've been dreading the proper reveal of for a while now. Ever since her first cough, I knew something was up...

last edited at Oct 8, 2021 12:55PM

joined Mar 26, 2021

Now the drama has come for real. But somehow i don't believe that Kaori is going to die

joined Apr 8, 2021

For the big brains up here in the comments, trauma doesn't have to be directly proportional to the actions that caused it, much the same with guilt. When she bullied Ruri, although it wasn't intentional, it targeted something she seemed to be deeply insecure about; likewise, depression can distort your memories or the gravity of them, so I don't think it's weird at all for the MC to be the way she is. Not to mention that these are all kids, everything seems as it was yesterday and they don't deal with shit perfectly. Hell, as if adults can.

While I like a Silent Voice much more, saying that the reaction here was forced or felt off seems like a baseless critique to me.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

For the big brains up here in the comments, trauma doesn't have to be directly proportional to the actions that caused it, much the same with guilt. When she bullied Ruri, although it wasn't intentional, it targeted something she seemed to be deeply insecure about; likewise, depression can distort your memories or the gravity of them, so I don't think it's weird at all for the MC to be the way she is. Not to mention that these are all kids, everything seems as it was yesterday and they don't deal with shit perfectly. Hell, as if adults can.

While I like a Silent Voice much more, saying that the reaction here was forced or felt off seems like a baseless critique to me.

As usual, this is talking about fictional constructions as if they’re real people, while I’m talking about how stories are constructed. Dynasty readers are experts at explaining away lapses in story construction, uneven tone, or erratic character development by appealing to supposed examples from real life. (For example, a person could just as easily say that for teenagers 5 years ago is an eternity rather than “seeming like yesterday”.)

Of course in real life guilt can be disproportional to the seriousness of the offense, and a given individual’s reaction to trauma can be outsized compared to the actions and intentions of the offenders—this should be news to nobody.

The question I’m addressing is not “could such things possibly happen in real life?” But rather, Does the story itself make the case for the appropriateness of the intensity either of those reactions (suicidal guilt and long-term emotional debility)?

I was arguing that the jury is still out on that—we only see the past events from Shizuku’s point of view, which Kaori herself points out is flawed and unreliable, and the only present-time character development we get of Ruri is her quivering in fear in front of a person who explicitly asked her to meet to apologize to her. The fact that such reactions could conceivably occur in real life is of limited relevance to the success of this story in doing whatever it’s trying to do.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Couldn't agree with you more.
Great post.

last edited at Oct 9, 2021 5:32AM

joined Jul 26, 2019

Now the drama has come for real. But somehow i don't believe that Kaori is going to die

I'm afraid that the real drama is this one, kaoru is very seriously ill to the point of responding to the festival, sorry to Shizuku when she tells her that they will come back next year ....

last edited at Oct 9, 2021 1:59PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I'm afraid that the real drama is this one, kaoru is very seriously ill to the point of responding to the festival, sorry to Shizuku when she tells her that they will come back next year ....

Not like we got a clue early on

joined Jul 26, 2019

Oh thank you I had completely skipped this part ^^
I can't even imagine what condition Shizuku will be in.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Or even the very first line of the entire manga.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

And Kaori herself is a rather odd character--at first she seems like just a genki-for-yuri girl, then there's almost a bit of a benign stalker-from-the-past feel, and then later she seems to be a doomed angel who has come to redeem Shizuku of her guilt (for an offense that doesn't seem to be quite bad enough that anyone needs to be doomed about it).

Maybe further development will resolve these issues, but at this point something does seem rather out of balance here.

maybe is just coincidence but kaori seems to be heavily inspired on her namesake from shigatsu wa kimi no uso , both knew and admire the mc at a young age , share a similar personality and after meeting present MC decided to help them to overcome their trauma

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

maybe is just coincidence but kaori seems to be heavily inspired on her namesake from shigatsu wa kimi no uso , both knew and admire the mc at a young age , share a similar personality and after meeting present MC decided to help them to overcome their trauma

I knew I’d seen that “dying redeeming angel returned from the past” trope somewhere before, but I never would have recalled that series in this context—thanks.

To reply you must either login or sign up.