Forum › SHY discussion

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

Elsa in suit

joined Jul 26, 2016

Seeing that in newest chapter she goes on a date with a boy then it can't be said anymore.
Shame, I liked the series, I knew author would never deliver on-screen yuri in to not be marked as "niche" yuri manga stigma, but I hoped at least we wouldn't be forced to see boy x girl dating chapter in it for Shy.
Oh well it was good when it lasted, now I can drop it in peace.

HAHAHA OH WOW

...wait, you're serious? Way to not understand anything about the chapter then.

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

That seems like a distinctly non-romantic "date", so the yuri ships still sail.

Most of the "serial" cosplayers I knew have a huge inflated ego and love nothing more than being admired.

Of the dedicated cosplayers I've known (which is admittedly limited), a lot have been narcissists and attention whores. But not all of them, I know of at least one that was purely into it as a self-confidence boost, which helped her come out.

So the chapter's message isn't inaccurate, in my experience, just not a whole picture. It's an optimistic and uplifting manga, though, so I don't expect it to come out and say "There are assholes in every community."

joined Jun 5, 2020

Seeing that in newest chapter she goes on a date with a boy then it can't be said anymore.
Shame, I liked the series, I knew author would never deliver on-screen yuri in to not be marked as "niche" yuri manga stigma, but I hoped at least we wouldn't be forced to see boy x girl dating chapter in it for Shy.
Oh well it was good when it lasted, now I can drop it in peace.

Yep, had to drop it

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

You know, a boy and girl or a man and a woman can go somewhere together without them having romantic feelings you know. As crazy as it sound, you know they can just be friend. One can say the same thing with the chapter with Ito and Teru on a date. It's funny that'sfor some it's acceptable ifit's 2 girls but drop worthy if it's het. For one, it never has been a Yuri, so the author has no obligations to make any progress and hell, it's a shonen,i highly doubt the author gonna turn that into a romance manga. Just see that a transition chapter where 2 friends are justdoing something together.
Dropping it just for that is overreacting.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

This chapter was refreshingly nice. Reminded me of why I got into this series in the first place and renewed my hope for it...

Dropping it just for that is overreacting.

Don't worry, people who "drop" series because of things like that usually come back to whine "why is this on Dynasty?" later. :-)

last edited at Aug 25, 2021 6:28AM

DynastyUser382
joined Apr 16, 2021

Totally forgot that La Toile was a dude lol, but even so, are people really gonna drop the series cause of the date?? This manga was never marketed as yuri, it was just wishful thinking from readers more than anything.

joined Jun 19, 2021

I can see people being upset in the sense that there is a ton of very obvious and very blatant yuribaiting and the relationships between female characters, especially Teru and Iko and maybe Teru and Pilse to an extent, definitely lean heavy on romantic undertones in their presentation. Seeing as the author also did girls love themed Idolm@ster doujins prior to this series it's also probably 100% intentional too. Which doesn't mean it's actually yuri, just that the author obviously draws from it and likes writing female relationships that are incredibly close and affectionate.

Truth be told, I get the impression that there's a tug of war going on between the author and editor over what the series is. It feels like the author would rather do mahou shoujo in shounen superhero dressing with SoL chapters and a huge focus on emotion over action which is basically what it was prior to the ninja arc and makes sense given that the author clearly likes mahou shoujo. Even the fight with Sveta and Kfufu wasn't all that long, certainly nothing like the Hollow arc which is literally half of the series' chapter count.

The editor/publiser, meanwhile, probably wants it to be "more shounen" and as a result we get... the Hollow arc. Which had lots of good stuff but was also dragged out interminably with a larger focus on action over emotion even though most of the best parts of that arc (Spirits and Kfufu, Meng Long and Thumping and their masculinity debate, Mai breaking free of her guilt, the ending) were the ones focused around emotion, not action. Spirits sitting down next to Kfufu is a way more powerful and memorable moment than all the stuff Shy did in her fight with Mai. The best of the action was probably Lady Black going berserk on Prayer but admittedly Pilse's my favorite character so I'm kind of biased on that front.

Also the result of this shift to being more action-oriented means the series is starting to suffer from the same problems every shounen action series does: the MC randomly pulling out new powers and techniques as needed and lower powered/non-powered characters getting their screentime dramatically cut since there's nothing they can do in long, epic battles. Obviously this has affected Iko the worst who's gone from main character and Teru's best friend to only getting a handful of cameo appearances in the last few dozen chapter but it's not just her, Unnie hasn't really been relevant since everyone went to the dome either.

last edited at Aug 28, 2021 2:40PM

joined Nov 21, 2018

La Toile gives off strong "nonbinary friend" vibes, though I doubt the manga would come out and label him that way. Either way, this was a very cute chapter.

Avarta
joined Sep 11, 2016

I can see people being upset in the sense that there is a ton of very obvious and very blatant yuribaiting and the relationships between female characters, especially Teru and Iko and maybe Teru and Pilse to an extent, definitely lean heavy

, Unnie hasn't really been relevant since everyone went to the dome either.

This is why i like how these new chapters turned out. They seem to go back to their root and focused more on the emotion and the concept around what make one a hero. This manga feel more like American comic where when nothing big happen the heroes are still there helping out, make us appreciated more about them and made them closer, relatable and down to earth, rather than a Japanese superheroe manga where big battles happened one after another it feel so exhausting and like they are some super being only exist in a manga (I know it irony but I want to connect with the characters I read). And for that I grateful.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This must have been the funniest plot twist I've ever run into

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I need to know more about the bloodstained right eye... surely a dark God resides in it

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Btw, @longking0803 you just added another item to the list of reasons why I hate My Hero Academia

Also is the new girl a chuuni?

last edited at Sep 14, 2021 1:48AM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

A new member to her harem?

This is why i like how these new chapters turned out. They seem to go back to their root and focused more on the emotion and the concept around what make one a hero. This manga feel more like American comic where when nothing big happen the heroes are still there helping out, make us appreciated more about them and made them closer, relatable and down to earth, rather than a Japanese superheroe manga where big battles happened one after another it feel so exhausting and like they are some super being only exist in a manga (I know it irony but I want to connect with the characters I read). And for that I grateful.

In fairness to a series like BNHA there are some solid moments of down time with character building, along with some great character moments. There was a recent manga chapter for the series that I really enjoyed because it was a great reminder of why I care about the characters.

Also well with some American comics, mainly DC and Marvel, we do at times get into battle burn out. Usually if we get like back to back events revolving around fighting a big bad.

last edited at Sep 14, 2021 2:14AM

Test
joined Sep 8, 2019

Well that was absolutely random

joined Jul 22, 2014

Ha that's laugh!!

I heard Marvel comics gotten worst these days....

last edited at Sep 14, 2021 4:16AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

In this chapter: Just Teru being a (super)hero again. :-)

last edited at Sep 14, 2021 7:10AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

But most importantly, she got to go home with Iko after all.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I like the [awkward silence] punchlines in these.

joined Sep 25, 2017

Spirits sitting down next to Kfufu is a way more powerful and memorable moment than all the stuff Shy did in her fight with Mai.

Couldn't agree more.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

That punchline came out of nowhere.

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

So what I'm taking away from this is that Teru and Iko regularly walk home together.

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

That was a nice chapter. No plot progression, but I do appreciate a glimpse at all* the characters' lives when there's not a supervillain to thwart right that moment. And definitely better than just having them be stronger in a rematch with a handwave of "off-screen training."

• Well, all the super-powered characters...
joined May 24, 2014

Heroes never die!

Shamimomo%20hug
joined Jan 23, 2016

"I'm exhausted" Someone in danger "NOT THAT EXHAUSTED"

I dunno I just really like that kinda thing

To reply you must either login or sign up.