Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

joined Jun 11, 2016

Just saying but the discussion about flat money should be moved to another post. They're rather irrelevant to the story.

Anyway so that's Lambert huh. He really does look like Lene.

Edit: Also, I agree that you should just post the finish version.

last edited at Aug 24, 2021 2:04AM

claire has a spirit of a sadist
and the mc (forgot her name) is a masochist

so like

bdsm?

joined Jun 6, 2021

Who's really tormenting whom? It seems to me that Rei tops from the bottom.

Who's really tormenting whom? It seems to me that Rei tops from the bottom.

huh.. thats true.. but rei wants claire to keep bullying her so still bdsm but complicated?

joined Jun 6, 2021

still bdsm but complicated?

Definitely. But this will largely evaporate as Claire falls increasingly in love with Rei.

joined Jul 24, 2020

is there going to be actual yuri in this later on or this is just shoujou ai?

joined Jan 3, 2020

I guess it is not a spoiler to say: yes, this manga is correctly tagged as Yuri.

The tag 'Yuri crush' is more appropriate for most of the story, though.

joined Jun 6, 2021

There isn't overt sex in the novel proper, though there was a special episode of their wedding night for subscribers. What will happen in the manga is probably undetermined but most likely to conform to the novel proper.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Lambert brushing the roases away made me laugh out loud, so many good little details and gags in this chapter that couldn’t be shown in the novel.

I can't even re-read that scene without starting to giggle uncontrollably again.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

More of a filler chapter this time, but it does at least help set up/foreshadow some things that'll come up again later, ie Rei's cooking, Claire being afraid of ghosts, and Lambert being properly introduced (although Rei cooking might've come up earlier, I forget). Also originally the whole crossdressing cafe introduction was in the following chapter; it was probably combined with the ghost hunt here since the latter wouldn't really be enough to fill up a whole chapter.

Speaking of which, between the cafe, the futon and Rei and Claire's night clothes (among other things), the author/artist really don't care about trying to make this feel medieval-ish. It really doesn't bother me that much, but the anachronisms do kinda stick out.

Lambert brushing the roases away made me laugh out loud, so many good little details and gags in this chapter that couldn’t be shown in the novel.

I can't even re-read that scene without starting to giggle uncontrollably again.

I almost missed this. I do love the tiny little background stuff like these.

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

I didnt know Rei Taylor in a bun will be the reason for the survival of humanity. WTF it suits her well!!!

Mato-san%201%201
joined Jan 10, 2015

feel medieval-ish

The settings is not medieval though, it is more late renaissance. (the otome game is name Revolution)

last edited at Aug 24, 2021 8:00AM

joined Jan 6, 2017

Where did all that hair for Rei's bun come from though?

joined Jun 6, 2021

feel medieval-ish

The settings is not medieval though, it is more late renaissance. (the otome game is name Revolution)

We had a discussion about this issue a while back. The setting is actually more post-Renaissance. It was during the Reformation that the age of revolution against aristocracy began, and in the Enlightenment that it really took off.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Speaking of which, between the cafe, the futon and Rei and Claire's night clothes (among other things), the author/artist really don't care about trying to make this feel medieval-ish. It really doesn't bother me that much, but the anachronisms do kinda stick out.

I'm reminded of Akagami no Shirayukihime, where they have swords and bows and sailing ships... plus all-glass greenhouses, really bright lights even if you assume they're Argand lamps, and Prince Zen was shown reading or writing something about cyanobacteria.

joined Jun 3, 2020

About the setting, there is actually one chapter later in the Web Novel where Rei herself acknowledges that the world she is living in right now is anachronistic. More specifically, there is a beach episode where everyone is using modern swinsuits. Rei notes in her internal monologue that this was an event in the game, and it really doesn't make any sense given the setting. But nobody wants to see period-appropriate beach clothes, so the devs put in the anachronic swinsuits instead. Not that she is complaining.

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

I swear, Claire is so f##king adorable this chapter. It seemed filler-ish but it does establish Rei's cooking and introduce Lene's brother, which will both be important things later in the story.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Thank you for the dere, Lady Claire.

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

I’m okay without the cleanup. Whatever is easier for you! The translations are already greatly appreciated!!!

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

the author/artist really don't care about trying to make this feel medieval-ish. It really doesn't bother me that much, but the anachronisms do kinda stick out.

I'm pretty sure they're intentional. I kind of doubt aonoshima is playing the long game for when this becomes more relevant at the end of the second series, but it's consistent with the otome game setting. Like with Relaire appearances, the manga has been a lot more aware of its worldbuilding and general content presentation. And it isn't laziness, the track suits are pretty detailed with the high collar and emblazoned school symbols/zippers. I guess I'm saying thought is going into the design and they do care about how fantasy-like it is. Whether or not the choices are effective is up for debate, but aonoshima is taking steps to include the game-ness into the setting

I feel like the "based on a game" tag would help this series if it wouldn't be such a misleading use of it. That aside, Rei scaring Claire when they were getting the assignment was hilarious

last edited at Aug 25, 2021 1:10AM

joined Jun 6, 2021

I'm pretty sure they're intentional.

As someone else noted, the author of the novel was explicit that this world didn't conform to real-world history.

(My point about the historicity has been that the world is mostly like that of the Enlightenment, and that there has been nothing distinctly Mediaeval.)

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Yeah, the architecture and tech seems pretty enlightenment-y. The way they dress seems like some kind of mix of (mostly) the Enlightenment era, and a little bit of the Indiustrial era and 19th-century militaries sprinkled in, to me.

last edited at Aug 25, 2021 7:54AM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Since it’s the world of an otome game it’s more like

“vague conflicting ‘pre-modern’ european fantasy setting created by modern day japanese game devs who themselves have probably based their fantasy off of other vague european fantasy settings”

It’s definitely brought up multiple times and it’s actually common in the otomei isekai/villainess genre of comics. I know a popular korean series called Beware of the Villainess makes fun of how an event in game took place at a street festival, but the author wasn’t creative enough to make it different so there’s just a bunch of stalls with the same kinds of games and stuff that you’d find in a modern korean street festivals inside the supposedly european fantasy setting.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

It’s definitely brought up multiple times and it’s actually common in the otome isekai/villainess genre of comics.

Common in isekai in general, even. Especially when combined with comedy, and villain/villaness reversals almost inevitably are.

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

This chapter was pretty wholesome

To reply you must either login or sign up.