Forum › Chasing Spica discussion

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I hope this is Citrus but with actually good writing and without the dark haired girl becoming a total softie.

Just because youre dissapointed in Citrus doesnt mean you should slander it, its writting is just fine

872f6125-d376-4c56-b454-2ea11e45ebc7
joined Jul 7, 2017

there’s no romance tag so :(

joined Aug 29, 2019

there’s no romance tag so :(

Pretty sure the tag list will grow as more chapters arrive.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

More please. Now. So good.

joined Jul 1, 2020

You just answered your question. Whatever her reasons, I doubt whatever she is doing at night would be approved by the school's public morals. And yet, she's still rude and inflexible in her own enforcement of such rules: they're good for the others, but not for her. The fact she's also established to be some rich kid who doesn't even need to work just adds insult to injury, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that in Japan, like the rest of the world, rules don't apply to rich people as they do to us, mere mortals.

Ngl, you kind of sound angrier that Reiko is supposed to be a rich kid with a bad attitude, and is using her bad attitude as a justification for shitting on her as being rich more than anything else. Is she super arrogant, yes. But is it misplaced, not exactly, she did still earn that #1 spot with all her extracurriculars going on. Her attitude needs to be toned down that’s all and needs to humble enough to recognized as confident rather than arrogant. Not to mention you make it sound as if being “the rich kid that doesn’t even have to work” she isn’t allowed to have her own problems, and we only know that “fact” through rumors so it might not even true at all or her family’s business is actually going under. I’d also like to point out when you mention about Reiko being inflexible with the rules, in that same scene we see Reiko lecturing Serina about the school rules, Serina is also being a complete dumbass and just as inflexible too because like Reiko points out if it’s so hot why is she wearing a cardigan in the first place, taking off that cardigan would do more to cool her off than raising her skirt, but she didn’t even have a good reason in the first place. For all we know Serina probably did that on purpose and those are just finding ways to always butt heads like that to get on each other’s nerves.

I mean but if you want to keep shitting on Reiko for those reasons, I can shit on Serina for being dumb and naive enough thinking she deserves #1 to resort to getting it through blackmail just because she’s in a tight situation, when Reiko who’s juggling several different kinds of priorities and extracurricular is able to earn that spot on her own. Whether or not Reiko is rich, it doesn’t mean she’s undeserving of #1 if she worked hard for it, why should she have to back down from the spot she earned because someone decides to guilt trip her or blackmail her. Both these characters are dumb, not to mention both are unlikeable to a certain extent. It’s just that people know more about Serina’s issues and finds her relatable enough so she gets the sympathy vote since we don’t know enough about Reiko or her deal yet, and from the looks of it, people don’t seem to really care to know because they’ve already up their mind about Reiko without hearing her side of the story or even knowing who she is.

Finally some brain cells

last edited at Jun 28, 2021 4:01AM

joined May 11, 2015

reminds me of citrus

28d46d914be5d4587b21270910c0eda5
joined Mar 23, 2015

Totally not me and my friends calling this citrus 2.0 when we saw the raws and this translation lmao

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was getting Citrus vibes.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

half of this first chapter i felt like i was reading citrus, i got so worried
then i continued reading it and, guess what, still feeling like citrus
nooooooooooo please i want something more original

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Just some gal pals getting a platonic drink at a love hotel yknow

Imgonline-com-ua-compresstosize-ydiwshq0rx
joined Jan 5, 2021

I've been waiting for the update since forever.Thank you very much for the translation!!!

Images%20(3)
joined Aug 6, 2021

blackmail twist was interesting, otherwise- overused setting of rich, proper girl being a sl*tty call girl and a gyaru :-/ but the art is pretty :-)

It just feels like the 15th of its kind this year, lol

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

I'm so intrigued right now. I really do like Nekodzuka as she really is thinking about her family a lot and is in such a hard place right now. Tachibana is of course a complete mystery right now and will be interesting to see how she acts when they have to work together.

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

That dream definitely means Serina wants to be Superfriends with Reiko

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

this feels sort of like a mashup of Citrus and Fragtime

joined Aug 29, 2019

Oh yes, more!

I like it, let's see what makes Little Miss Public Morals tick.

joined Jan 3, 2020

You know if she had just framed it differently and mentioned that she needed to get first for her scholarship to continue attending school I feel like all this stuff could have been avoided, but now whats gonna happen is she studies really hard, loses, breaks down crying about having to leave school in front of Reiko and then gets told by Reiko "I'll pay for your schooling if you do these requests for me" and then we have a slightly edgier version of Can't Defy the Lonely Girl.

Also Reiko seems like she was written by someone who really likes the "possessive and overbearing ceo" trope. Between this series and "My Girlfriend isn't here Today" it seems like there's gonna be a heaping serving of unhealthy edgy angsty yuri series coming out. I don't know if I'll really stick to either series, we'll see how they turn out...

I wish authors would stop setting their dark and sexual romance series in high school. Would it really kill you to let college students who are 20+ have messy sex lives and romances rather than 16 year olds?

It's not clear if Reiko knows about her need for a scholarship or not. Reiko says that she 'knows everything about her' during Chapter 1 but in retrospect I think Reiko meant about how to sexually manipulate her - not about her parents' financial situation.

Still, Reiko is rich and it should be obvious to her that others aren't. Not sure.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Dun dun dun dun.

Great credits page.

bloodonthewater
Bigj
joined Jul 7, 2021

Wait a minute... This isn't about chasing an LCS jungler!

Yuri Newbie Fan
joined May 16, 2021

This a bit Mystery and I don’t know if it’ll lead to romantic genre, not judging the student council prez and a top student because she’s mysterious and it’s not yet revealed why she went to that love hotel with a girl. But it’s funny the way Serina is so bothered of what she saw than her scholarship situation.

Heheee
joined Feb 27, 2020

You just answered your question. Whatever her reasons, I doubt whatever she is doing at night would be approved by the school's public morals. And yet, she's still rude and inflexible in her own enforcement of such rules: they're good for the others, but not for her. The fact she's also established to be some rich kid who doesn't even need to work just adds insult to injury, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that in Japan, like the rest of the world, rules don't apply to rich people as they do to us, mere mortals.

Ngl, you kind of sound angrier that Reiko is supposed to be a rich kid with a bad attitude, and is using her bad attitude as a justification for shitting on her as being rich more than anything else. Is she super arrogant, yes. But is it misplaced, not exactly, she did still earn that #1 spot with all her extracurriculars going on. Her attitude needs to be toned down that’s all and needs to humble enough to recognized as confident rather than arrogant. Not to mention you make it sound as if being “the rich kid that doesn’t even have to work” she isn’t allowed to have her own problems, and we only know that “fact” through rumors so it might not even true at all or her family’s business is actually going under. I’d also like to point out when you mention about Reiko being inflexible with the rules, in that same scene we see Reiko lecturing Serina about the school rules, Serina is also being a complete dumbass and just as inflexible too because like Reiko points out if it’s so hot why is she wearing a cardigan in the first place, taking off that cardigan would do more to cool her off than raising her skirt, but she didn’t even have a good reason in the first place. For all we know Serina probably did that on purpose and those are just finding ways to always butt heads like that to get on each other’s nerves.

I mean but if you want to keep shitting on Reiko for those reasons, I can shit on Serina for being dumb and naive enough thinking she deserves #1 to resort to getting it through blackmail just because she’s in a tight situation, when Reiko who’s juggling several different kinds of priorities and extracurricular is able to earn that spot on her own. Whether or not Reiko is rich, it doesn’t mean she’s undeserving of #1 if she worked hard for it, why should she have to back down from the spot she earned because someone decides to guilt trip her or blackmail her. Both these characters are dumb, not to mention both are unlikeable to a certain extent. It’s just that people know more about Serina’s issues and finds her relatable enough so she gets the sympathy vote since we don’t know enough about Reiko or her deal yet, and from the looks of it, people don’t seem to really care to know because they’ve already up their mind about Reiko without hearing her side of the story or even knowing who she is.

Yeah, you're right. To be honest my first reaction to Reiko was "oh my god..FUCK THIS BITCH!" and it wasn't until I read your comment that I started to see things clearly. We don't know a thing about her and everything We've seen so far has been from Serina's POV, so jumping to conclusions will only sour the story before it even begins.

ParasyticGhoul
Smell_1
joined Dec 5, 2016

Jesus Christ the girl is so stupid. She could've just sent it to authorities at school, have the bitch kicked out and it's ez top 1 spot.

No wonder she can't get that top 1 spot.

last edited at Aug 7, 2021 3:49AM

Img_1857
joined Apr 4, 2021

Several people here have mentioned how this has got citrus vibes. I never read citrus but what things in common with citrus do you notice (i.e., the vibes the two share in common)? If it’s the sexually manipulative(?) Reiko, then I might sit out on this series. While I enjoy all kinds of yuri stories, my preference lies with wholesome romances, and this is basically as far away from that as possible.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Art is nice, but so far I don't really feel like the story has anything that catches my interest. Doesn't help if it continues to be released just once every 2 months, really hard to build any kind of momentum or engagement with that kind of schedule...

joined Aug 29, 2019

Several people here have mentioned how this has got citrus vibes. I never read citrus but what things in common with citrus do you notice (i.e., the vibes the two share in common)? If it’s the sexually manipulative(?) Reiko, then I might sit out on this series. While I enjoy all kinds of yuri stories, my preference lies with wholesome romances, and this is basically as far away from that as possible.

I've only watched Citrus' anime adaptation, but it's pretty clear that there are some parallels. Both series have a gyaru and a prim and proper official (StuCo-President in Citrus, Public Morals Committee in Chasing Spica) as their leads, both Gyaru are actually rather motivated and high-performing and mainly use it as self-expression, both prim and proper officials (seem to?) have... issues regarding sexual incidents/activities in their private life, they clash pretty hard and are pretty much a "designated couple".

Edit: Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if "wholesome" is what we get by the end of the story, but you can be sure that it'll be a hot mess of high octane drama before that.

last edited at Aug 7, 2021 12:10PM

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

god i rlly hope this isnt citrus 2.0

To reply you must either login or sign up.