Forum › Ise-san and Shima-san discussion

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I am sort of conflicted. On the one hand, I really want them to become a proper couple and for this story to go full yuri.
On the other hand, there dynamic is perfectly fine as it is, and it would also be kinda cool to have a manga that shows a lesbian woman in a close friendship with another woman without any romance. In most of yuri, strongly liking another girl inevitably means that the two characters have to become a couple or face heartbreak, so just having a super close platonic friendship has its own appeal.

Overall, the revelation that Shima is gay was completely out of the blue for me though, absolutely did not expect that

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

This chapter took me by surprise. First a cute little flashback of them reuniting as OLs, then HOLY SHIT Shima explicitly saying she loves women, which sheds a whole different light on the previous chapters and their relationship as a whole. I’m thinking of that debacle with Ise and that nice married man. Overall, it’s a huge flag that moves the subtext closer to actual Yuri and creates more (explicit now) conflict around how Shima’s sexuality will affect their relationship, considering we know Shima could have or could be developing feelings for Ise.

In the same vein, this chapter could present their relationship as something closer to a genuine gal-pal roommates thing between a lesbian and straight-girl, but I don’t really get that vibe here. My guess for the endgame is that their relationship will be Ise and Shima seeing each other as something along the lines of this quote: “my wife is my soulmate, lover, and best friend (and roommate apparently).” OR like Nikoichi, akin to Noefure’s relationship according to this.

Tbh, I thought we were heading toward an ending based on the chapter length and general vibe of the chapter. Never have I been more relieved to see Ongoing on a series before. Now I’m definitely excited for the next chapter. This is by far the best (most enjoyable at the very least) series that’s ongoing on Dynasty right now.

Also, this mangaka’s faces are so cute and chock of personality. I love Shima’s face here.

last edited at Jul 29, 2021 4:42AM

joined May 23, 2013

Whelp looking at manga updates to know if this was still ongoing was a mistake i got spoiled of the end.

Yuri Newbie Fan
joined May 16, 2021

If those two didn’t up as lovers, I’m out. And if in case won’t get tagged as Yuri, I’m also out.

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Well, it can`t be called subtext anymore since one of the lady is confirmed into woman

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Well, it can`t be called subtext anymore since one of the lady is confirmed into woman

Possibly yuri crush would be a slightly better tag for this story but even that doesn't seem quite accurate. If it wasn't for the chapters about the guy on the train I would say this was an example of Ace and Lesbian life partners.

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Whelp looking at manga updates to know if this was still ongoing was a mistake i got spoiled of the end.

I would gladly share your burdens but alas. BTW Where are those sources so I may avoid them?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Possibly yuri crush would be a slightly better tag for this story but even that doesn't seem quite accurate. If it wasn't for the chapters about the guy on the train I would say this was an example of Ace and Lesbian life partners.

I really have zero investment in tags per se, but on an abstract definitional level, I don't think the mere presence of a woman who is into women makes a story "yuri"--I feel like some sort of relationship element (although not necessarily between MCs) is a required active ingredient. Otherwise, it might be Incidental Lesbian, maybe?

In fact, re-reading the first few chapters makes it a bit hard for me to believe that Shima's out sexuality was intended from the very start--we get a lot of "mutual uselessness" cues, like each of them thinking how cute the other is, "what am I, your girlfriend?" jokes, the het guy arc, etc.

In terms of "yuri crush," Ise-san and Shima-san clearly love each other as friends and running buddies, but have we actually had any "wish for more" cues from either side of the equation? (We might have, but I'm not remembering any right now.)

Sure, both of them are adorable, and I'm into yuri, so I'd love to see them get together in some plausible way. But mainly they're incredibly fun to read about just as they are, so I'm also fine with "steady as she goes."

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

Gay people are capable of just being platonic roommates with people, you know. You can be just friends with someone even if you're attracted to their gender, and that's fine.

last edited at Jul 29, 2021 8:59AM

Fwerpng
joined Jul 25, 2017

I've really loved this manga and I'm sure it will be great regardless of how it ends. I think revealing that Shima is gay late in the story is a great idea, because it let the story establish itself with a focus on their life together and relationship (lit.) as it actually is, without having this 'will-they-won't-they' question looming and affecting how everything is perceived. It'd be cool if they don't really fit into a category (friends/lovers), but acknowledge that the way they love each other is different (more sexual-romantic for Shima and more platonic-romantic? for Ise), but enough for both of them to keep having a fulfilling life together.

Image_2022-10-30_015926894
joined Jun 3, 2021

This chapter was like having a bucket of cold water dumped on you, but in a really nice, refreshing way? I don’t think I’ve felt this way about any other “coming out” scene, especially in yuri manga. Personally, I think it’s because I’ve never read this series in a light that seriously couples Ise and Shima in a romantic sense, so it feels less like something I expected (though I was totally rooting for it). More like suddenly being able to identify and relate more closely to a beloved character in a beloved series that isn’t necessarily yuri-focused. It feels super nice :)
About their future dynamic, I don’t think I’ll mind at all whether or not they take their relationship to the next level. Hell, I probably won’t even be bothered if Ise is completely straight. What they have right now is already so precious, I hope you guys can come to appreciate it as much as I do! They just make me feel so comfortable. This is definitely going on my ‘all time favorites’ list haha.

Image_2022-10-30_015926894
joined Jun 3, 2021

One day… one day I’ll write an essay on how this plot twist makes rereading chapter 10 take on an entirely different light. On how Shima subconsciously projects her (potential) position onto Ise’s unrequited crush and how it might ultimately make or break their relationship. There’s just so much that’s seen differently now that I’ve read this latest chapter!! That subtext tag really deserves its place up there.

B61e85481cd305c6139d74d53e7100cf--pixel-ideas
joined Sep 20, 2017

This manga is golden.

bloodonthewater
Bigj
joined Jul 7, 2021

Would be funny if they started dating and absolutely nothing changed in their relationship.

joined Mar 8, 2020

I would gladly share your burdens but alas. BTW Where are those sources so I may avoid them?

just dont search with the japanese name in google and go to comic-trail which is the publisher site since the last few chapter are still free to read lol (19-21 + extra)

last edited at Jul 29, 2021 12:40PM

Mahiru
joined Aug 28, 2016

Gay people are capable of just being platonic roommates with people, you know. You can be just friends with someone even if you're attracted to their gender, and that's fine.

I mean sure, in real life, but... in terms of fiction, if two characters are very close and there's any potential, people are going to want them to get together (especially if they're "unlucky in love"). It doesn't help that these two flirt constantly and make each other's hearts skip more often than newlyweds.

youdontknowwho
Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

Does this imply Shima is in the closet?

I kinda saw this coming. What surprises me is Ise being aware of it.
On one hand, the fact Shima is canonically gay might set up some potential development on the romance front. On the other hand, the fact Isa knows all along means their current relationship is very stable, and they can just go on like that forever. Whether this series ends in actual yuri or not, I consider it a very good character-driven slice of life, one that actually focuses on the mundane, daily lives of two characters with grounded personalities, and still manage to be interesting and appealing.

Tbh, I thought we were heading toward an ending based on the chapter length and general vibe of the chapter. Never have I been more relieved to see Ongoing on a series before. Now I’m definitely excited for the next chapter. This is by far the best (most enjoyable at the very least) series that’s ongoing on Dynasty right now.

The manga already ended though, with 2 volumes. You were right that we were heading toward the ending.

last edited at Jul 29, 2021 1:28PM

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Welp, now I am sad, only 2 volumes? So just a handful of chapters left ;~;

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

"First job offer I got" ... I can relate. Job hunting is brutal -_-

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I'm still not convinced the series is actually ending for good. The last chapter in Japanese just sets up perfectly for the mangaka to eventually pick it back up. Maybe it's just my hopeful delusion, but I think they'll continue the manga some time in the future

last edited at Jul 29, 2021 4:59PM

joined May 29, 2021

just dont search with the japanese name in google and go to comic-trail which is the publisher site since the last few chapter are still free to read lol (19-21 + extra)

I was weak because I wanted to know. I actually can’t really tell what happened to be honest.

Wallpaper_2~2
joined Jul 4, 2021

If I should summarize how I felt reading this chapter it would be : A nuclear Yuri bomb.

I did not felt so much wholesome since I've read BIY and citrus for the first time in my life , that's when I've discovered the shoujo ai/ Yuri genre .

This manga has proven to be outstanding on so many levels :

• An original art style , pleasant to the eye , with a mix of details that catch your attention
  • A believable story between characters with distinct personalities and interests immersed in the society ( especially work ) and life routine.

It was worth staying up to almost 4 am to read this, now when I woke up tomorrow I expect to see the subtext tag gone .

joined Mar 8, 2020

I'm still not convinced the series is actually ending for good. The last chapter in Japanese just sets up perfectly for the mangaka to eventually pick it back up. Maybe it's just my hopeful delusion, but I think they'll continue the manga some time in the future

Well honestly, if it wasn't because the author and the publisher twitter posted about it ending back then, anyone would still be waiting for more chapters now lol

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I was sure I'll see a lot of comments after this chapter :P But I'm surprised no one commented on the Ise's "proposal"... well it was supposed to be humorous, but I can't shake off the impression that Ise is "looking at the camera" when she says it sounded better in her head, like "oops you weren't supposed to see that"...
... well it's probably bullshit but I'm amused with that interpretation of mine.

last edited at Jul 30, 2021 5:54PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Would be funny if they started dating and absolutely nothing changed in their relationship.

I think that would be the most natural development, since they are already married in all but form. :-)

To reply you must either login or sign up.