Forum › It's a Detached Relationship. discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well Ueda made sure to make my blood boil so nice job there I guess?

This response is even more incoherent than usual.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Well Ueda made sure to make my blood boil so nice job there I guess?

This response is even more incoherent than usual.

Well, large parts of the chapter were suited to increase circulation. Maybe that's where they're coming from

... /s

last edited at May 26, 2021 4:09PM

joined Jan 3, 2020

Hmm, only one chapter left. It's hard to predict what will happen honestly, well other than the obvious time skip.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Framing Aya as "mindfucking the Yoru out of Sei" (I love it!) as "not healing" is a bit off the mark, though. She's indeed replacing a downright toxic mindset with what could turn into a problematic obsession. On the other hand it stands to reason that clinging to Aya is way less problematic than clinging to Yoru. The former wants to be with Sei, stay with her and support her, while the latter has done her best to remove herself from Sei's life, understandably trying to live her own life rather than dedicate a lot of effort to fixing a broken ex-lover.

I don't disagree, Aya is indeed a healthier option than Yoru. I'm just really not convinced it can work out without them dragging each other more and more into the abyss in the future. My opinion on people like this is that unless they try hard to better themselves, no one will be able to do that for them.
Sei seems very content with her self, and on top of that Aya has actually gotten worse since she met her. So I have deducted that their relationship will burn them down in the end.

On the other hand I understand that not everyone has to be "fixed". They can just find a way to be functional in society (maybe for as long as possible), and that's the point of this story.
But I do get some people's frustration here, because Sei imo is just shitty and some might feel like she doesn't deserve a happy ending (remember she harassed her student and traumatized her)
Personally I just find this story interesting because it explores characters that you don't usually get to see. But since they don't have any likable trait, I also don't really care enough to get angry about the outcome.

joined Dec 13, 2013

this was such a good chapter, it was worth the roller coaster of feelings

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Yaaaaaay Sei is getting Aya in the end!
I was worried that poor sweet darling Sei was going to meet a bad end, but thanks goodness that's not the case. After all she went through (the whole mess with Yoru and everything) she deserved the best possible end! And lo and behold, she gets Aya, the best girl in the manga, to take care of her and heal her heart with the power of tender caring love.

Best endgame next chapter, hehe.

Images
joined Feb 9, 2015

It​ went​ from​ dark​ story​ to​ surprisingly cute.​ I​ don't​ even​ mind​ if​ it​ end​ed​ in​ this​ chapter.​ Best​ ending.

joined Mar 8, 2019

I don't disagree, Aya is indeed a healthier option than Yoru. I'm just really not convinced it can work out without them dragging each other more and more into the abyss in the future. My opinion on people like this is that unless they try hard to better themselves, no one will be able to do that for them.

I think there might be hints of possible reciprocation on Sei's part. She finds comfort in Aya and while that doesn't necessarily mean love, it could certainly blossom from that.

Sei seems very content with her self, and on top of that Aya has actually gotten worse since she met her. So I have deducted that their relationship will burn them down in the end.

I don't know if I'd say Aya's worse? She definitely has changed. I think if anything, Aya has just figured out she has a voice and that it's okay to fight for what she wants. She's selfish, yes, but she has no misgivings about Sei. Unlike Mochida and Haruki, she's seeing Sei for who she really is and is accepting her for it. She's come so far from the timid girl who would have probably settled for the first boy who showed her interest because she felt "a gloomy girl like her had no options".

On the other hand I understand that not everyone has to be "fixed". They can just find a way to be functional in society (maybe for as long as possible), and that's the point of this story.

Aya and Sei have found something that works for them and maybe in the long run, it will burn but the way things are going right now leads me to believe they might actually have a shot?

But I do get some people's frustration here, because Sei imo is just shitty and some might feel like she doesn't deserve a happy ending (remember she harassed her student and traumatized her)

I think the Sakai issue was cleared up last chapter? As in it showed that nothing really happened between Sakai and Sei. Sakai offered but Sei rejected her.

I had a feeling it would go this route. Sei wasn't trying to prey on high school girls when she went on that dating site. Aya introduced herself as a college student- I know headcanon- but maybe Sei just decided the universe messed with her enough so she was finally going to mess back when she found out Aya was actually a High School student.

Personally I just find this story interesting because it explores characters that you don't usually get to see. But since they don't have any likable trait, I also don't really care enough to get angry about the outcome.

It is interesting for sure but I find all the characters compelling. I'd like to see what happens to Mochida and Haruki though...

last edited at May 26, 2021 6:30PM

Alice_is_lost
joined Mar 29, 2021

I still love the art but this chapter felt hollow for me for some reason and I don't know why..

joined Nov 22, 2019

I still love the art but this chapter felt hollow for me for some reason and I don't know why..

Maybe the sudden change in tone? The rest of the manga felt very raw and the characters seemed broken and hopeless. This chapter was much more fluffy, as if to say that all problems were resolved. Perhaps it would have been better if the author would have taken a more realistic route, and showed that, while in a better relationship than before, both characters are still broken, and perhaps they could work on that together in the future, a more bittersweet ending, but still a positive outlook.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I think the Sakai issue was cleared up last chapter? As in it showed that nothing really happened between Sakai and Sei. Sakai offered but Sei rejected her.

No, I meant the Mochida situation.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/its_a_detached_relationship_ch13#26
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/its_a_detached_relationship_ch17#20

Plus saying that she got excited even more from Aya being a highschooler on that dating app just says something about her.

It's weird how people forget so fast when a happy chapter shows up. Obviously this is a story and everyone can like whatever character, but let's not pretend Sei is a good person. Yes Mochida wasn't 100% an angel here either, but I think her actions were justified, seeing how a teacher was going out with school girls. On the other hand, Sei just messes with people for her own enjoynment. And also two wrongs don't make a good, like Mochida being wrong in some way doesn't change Sei's situation.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

One of the biggest problems for me is that the author REALLY loves to romanticize selfishness. I think it's really weird.

joined Apr 13, 2021

I like it. Aya and Sei'selfishness is the reason why their chemistry is in sync. People here love to project their own set of standards in a relationship too much. Their realtionship is not healthy? That's the point. It was never healthy to begin with.

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

Aya, what a tough child. I feel like this will really be the start when Sei finally sees Aya, but to free her from chain you have to shackle her with you. Basically, you can't just free Sei with that state of mind, you still have to hold her down. What I want the most is to protect Aya's love for Sei, it seems so solid and strong but it can also be shaken. If her feelings for her gets affected again, it may lead to something else, first, finally not caring about Sei, second, going insane and chain her down for real

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

I like it. Aya and Sei'selfishness is the reason why their chemistry is in sync. People here love to project their own set of standards in a relationship too much. Their realtionship is not healthy? That's the point. It was never healthy to begin with.

True. I think people want it to be more all cotton candy and bubble gum. Toxic relationships in yuri isn't welcome because people like to brought their own beliefs and sometimes self-insert. Their relationship for me is kind of intoxicating, it's bad but it makes you feel all sorts of emotion

(Also, Aya isn't a child anymore yet they still treat Sei as ped)

last edited at May 26, 2021 11:23PM

joined Mar 8, 2019

No, I meant the Mochida situation.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/its_a_detached_relationship_ch13#26
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/its_a_detached_relationship_ch17#20

Yes, she did mess with Mochida's mind and invaded her space but she never actually kissed her though. It's kind of Sei exacting her brand of justice? Mochida was invading her privacy by digging around her business so she invades her psyche a little.

Plus saying that she got excited even more from Aya being a highschooler on that dating app just says something about her.

Perhaps I did not word it correctly. I am not saying Sei was more sexually excited. I was merely suggesting that she was searching for a sexual outlet and when it turned out to be a high school girl, she finally had enough of playing at being good. In layman's terms, she had been DM'ing a college girl for x amount of time. Sei put in all that effort and then the universe decided to F with her again and said "HA! Gotcha again! She's in high school!" so she just went "F it!" right back.

Sei's account of what happened after Yoru is that she tried to forget Yoru, to be straight, to be a good teacher. But those attempts always lead to her feeling unhappy. Just look at what happened with Sakai, she saw a lonely student and tried to help her out. In return, she was outed and disrespected by other students.

My interpretation is she decided to be the villain everyone thought her to be simply because doing "what's right" only led to her misery. I always read her as a character creating chaos as a way of welcoming her own despair and ultimate destruction but that's just me.

It's weird how people forget so fast when a happy chapter shows up. Obviously this is a story and everyone can like whatever character, but let's not pretend Sei is a good person. Yes Mochida wasn't 100% an angel here either, but I think her actions were justified, seeing how a teacher was going out with school girls. On the other hand, Sei just messes with people for her own enjoynment. And also two wrongs don't make a good, like Mochida being wrong in some way doesn't change Sei's situation.

I never said Sei was a good person. No one is here. Everyone is selfish. Mochida is not outing Sei so she can help a student out. She's not looking out for Aya. She wants Math Teacher to be disgusted with Sei. She's not on some crusade for justice for the students Sei "had sullied". And as it has been confirmed, Aya was the only underage student that Sei actually had sex with. Sei does not seem to actually want Mochida.

The fact that everyone is imperfect, to an exaggerated degree sure, is a compelling point of the manga for me.

last edited at May 26, 2021 8:56PM

joined Dec 9, 2014

My interpretation is she decided to be the villain everyone thought her to be simply because doing "what's right" only led to her misery. I always read her as a character creating chaos as a way of welcoming her own despair but that's just me.

Even though that is true, Sei has displayed this type of behavior for her own selfish reasons too, not just as a defense mechanism.
When Yoru rejected her, Sei tried to mess her up. She had that character/tendency even back then and it seems like it was a matter of time until that started blossoming.

As for Mochida, yes she did want to mess Sei because of the teacher, but her reaction of being irked by the teacher not caring about what Sei was doing made me think she also had some moral issue with the situation.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The fact that everyone is imperfect, to an exaggerated degree sure, is a compelling point of the manga for me.

That's the compelling point of the series for me--and it is compelling.

I've been rather bemused by the desperate search by some readers here for a "good" character to somehow make things OK.

This may well be like Asagi Ryuu's Age 15, where, after a whole lot of obviously bad and a great deal of at best questionable behavior, the MCs end up in a surprisingly better, although not necessarily objectively good, place.

joined Mar 8, 2019

Even though that is true, Sei has displayed this type of behavior for her own selfish reasons too, not just as a defense mechanism.
When Yoru rejected her, Sei tried to mess her up. She had that character/tendency even back then and it seems like it was a matter of time until that started blossoming.

The elements are planted. These are like little previews that show what the characters are capable of.

Sei outed her deal with Yoru to her then bf and Yoru ended up ultimately casting her aside. Just like with Aya. We saw her outburst with Haruki's friends about how she viewed herself.

As for Mochida, yes she did want to mess Sei because of the teacher, but her reaction of being irked by the teacher not caring about what Sei was doing made me think she also had some moral issue with the situation.

I don't know about Mochida's morals. I feel like her reaction was due to the fact that her efforts were fruitless. She spent all time spying and she did not get the results she desired.

last edited at May 26, 2021 9:07PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

Have you ever read or watched Scum's Wish? I recently got around to watching the anime and it had an extremely similar vibe to it in that regard. I enjoyed it almost as much as reading Warikan, and for the same reasons - dysfunctional people being dysfunctional, trying to be terrible to each other and hurting themselves in the process.

To add some more levity: I loved page 15. Aya be like "Your Yukata's coming off, can you fix it yourself? - Good, then you can fix it later!"

joined Sep 27, 2017

True. I think people want it to be more all cotton candy and bubble gum. Toxic relationships in yuri isn't welcome because people like to brought their own beliefs and sometimes self-insert. Their relationship for me is kind of intoxicating, it's bad but it makes you feel all sorts of emotion

(Also, Aya isn't a child anymore yet they still treat Sei and ped)

I don't self insert myself into manga. I'm not projecting my standards on the manga, I'm stating my own personal opinion, and I'm not saying the author should do anything different. I'm also not saying people shouldn't enjoy the manga.

I also know the point of the manga is that the characters are toxic and the relationship isn't healthy. I'm very aware of that. I'm still here reading it to see where it ends up. I shouldn't have to defend myself for saying I don't like how the author romanticizes selfishness. I can read and find a story interesting, while still holding that opinion.

Edit: I also don't want everything to be "cotton candy and bubble bum", I can read and enjoy works like that and works like this for different reasons. I never said I hated this manga, if I did I would have stopped reading pretty quickly. Again I find the work interesting, I'm just not personally a fan of the romanticized selfishness here. It's not a black and white thing of love it or hate it, I can have a nuanced opinion and I try my best to do so.

last edited at May 26, 2021 10:44PM

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

Yeah Scum's Wish vibes but if Hana got together with Ecchan at the end.

Well anyway glad for Sei and Aya. I guess the character development was Sei realising she was truly a bottom and Aya realising she's a top. The sex was great tho. Felt less messy than the ones prior. And since we're done with the climax, I'm guessing the last chapter will most be a where are they now thing and will likely involve a time skip as already mentioned.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

This chapter pretty much encapsulate the whole series, and why it separates itself from the pack when it comes to character depiction and whatnot. (Chef's Kiss gif goes here)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Have you ever read or watched Scum's Wish? I recently got around to watching the anime and it had an extremely similar vibe to it in that regard. I enjoyed it almost as much as reading Warikan, and for the same reasons - dysfunctional people being dysfunctional, trying to be terrible to each other and hurting themselves in the process.

I did try to read that, and for me it had quite a different vibe than this one (but bear in mind I was only able to get a few chapters into it). This series is about dysfunctional people being dysfunctional, to be sure, but to me there's actually not a lot of outright malice--just people compelled by their weaknesses into some messed-up places.

(I didn't think much of Netsuzou Trap for that same reason--for this type of story, people struggling with and perhaps succumbing to their frailties I can find interesting, proactive evil not so much.)

last edited at May 26, 2021 9:36PM

joined Sep 27, 2017

Yeah Scum's Wish vibes but if Hana got together with Ecchan at the end.

Well anyway glad for Sei and Aya. I guess the character development was Sei realising she was truly a bottom and Aya realising she's a top. The sex was great tho. Felt less messy than the ones prior. And since we're done with the climax, I'm guessing the last chapter will most be a where are they now thing and will likely involve a time skip as already mentioned.

A time skip sounds interesting, see where everyone ends up. It would be kind of hilarious if the author trolled everyone by having the series just end in a giant orgy with all the relevant female characters.

Edit: The male teacher can uh...take a vacation to Hawaii or something.

last edited at May 26, 2021 9:39PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.