Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Images%20(20)%20(4)
joined Jan 15, 2021

SHES SULKING AUGHHJJHHHHSH MY HEART I CANT TAKE THIS TEARS ARE RUSHING OUT OF MY FACE I CANT TAKE THIS

edit: THEYRE BLUSHING AUGHHHHHHHAHHJSJJSJHH MY HEART I CANT TAKE THIS MY HEART IS BURNING FROM HOW SWEET TJIS IS

last edited at Mar 24, 2021 11:22PM

Ltjidvbbiqp71
joined Jul 22, 2018

I'm about a fourth of the way through the novel, to where Rei is more or less forced into commitment despite her fear and quiet despair over the prospect of loving without reciprocation. The novel is actually a very powerful literary achievement. It's literature. It's not only yuri as entertainment, it is about yuri and the courage it takes to love in a hostile world. All the fun stuff is just icing.

last edited at Mar 25, 2021 12:37AM

17862791_1495602197151021_8222829330647011179_n[1]
joined Jun 22, 2013

I'm about a fourth of the way through the novel, to where Rei is more or less forced into commitment despite her fear and quiet despair over the prospect of loving without reciprocation. The novel is actually a very powerful literary achievement. It's literature. It's not only yuri as entertainment, it is about yuri and the courage it takes to love in a hostile world. All the fun stuff is just icing.

Yeah there's so little yuri that (allegorically) seriously dives into that aspect of the gay experience. The OG novel is definitely in my all-time yuri top ten at least

Too bad the sequel cheapens it solely for the sake of M Night Shyamalan

last edited at Mar 25, 2021 1:22AM

joined Nov 30, 2011

Yeah there's so little yuri that (allegorically) seriously dives into that aspect of the gay experience. The OG novel is definitely in my all-time yuri top ten at least

Too bad the sequel cheapens it solely for the sake of M Night Shyamalan

Yeah. It was very good! I read the fluffy extras and then quit partway through the sequel.

joined Mar 25, 2021

I've read the novel.... And damn the Manga did justice to.it.. I've enjoyed the extra scenes so far

last edited at Mar 25, 2021 7:09AM

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

I cannot get enough of this series, time to binge read the LN.

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Be warned, if you're reading the official release, apparently certain paragraphs which delved deeper into Rei's thoughts and explored her behavior in more detail, adding important depth to her character, were removed during the editing phase for Heaven only knows what reason.

last edited at Mar 25, 2021 10:51AM

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

I really love the art. Claire is adorable, I see why Rei sinks as hard as she does. It's crazy that the MC's event was given to Claire and she did it with Sein. I wonder what changes will happen to the main story now

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Be warned, if you're reading the official release, apparently certain paragraphs which delved deeper into Rei's thoughts and explored her behavior in more detail, adding important depth to her character, were removed during the editing phase for Heaven only knows what reason.

There seems to be a revised edition for volume 1 out now.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I don't know original for either... but this seems to be better adapted than the "magical revolution" one, which I keep thinking as a sort of "companion" :P Not so many excruciatingly long and in-depth explanations of what exactly the characters feel and why, and more of just showing it... I don't know, it just feels way more natural despite arguably more ridiculous setting (floating game menu in the sky, come on now).

(Although don't get me wrong, I'm mostly enjoying both :P)

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Claire's Route is officially open!

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

My god, all these princes are the worst and makes me eye roll with the utmost disgust every time one pops out of nowhere, it's so off-putting it almost make me wanna drop this, seriously ...

joined Jan 6, 2017

My god, all these princes are the worst and makes me eye roll with the utmost disgust every time one pops out of nowhere, it's so off-putting it almost make me wanna drop this, seriously ...

they all get better... although they also all become just minor background characters. Yuu is my fave because he's the only one that actually has a storyline later on. The other two just have some small things to show what happened.

major spoiler
Writing that "he" hurt me. We stan a trans princess

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

they all get better... although they also all become just minor background characters. Yuu is my fave because he's the only one that actually has a storyline later on. The other two just have some small things to show what happened.

major spoiler
Writing that "he" hurt me. We stan a trans princess

That was very unexpected, but not unwelcome!

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Yea, people aren't kidding that this is really a scathing critique about Japan's treatment of its LGBT community disguised as a lighthearted isekai/katarina branch off

joined Jun 7, 2019

oh boy the manga is doing justice to the novel
i literally learned how to speak english reading this novel lol
I saw that someone doubted whether to read the second season or not, I left it in the middle because I did not have time but in fact it is quite good and has many romantic moments, the second season involves some issues about politics that are quite interesting without forgetting about all the fantasy and magic.
And claire and rei adopt two daughters and it's literally the cutest thing
PD:The author is really sweet she doesn't mind about people reading her work in illegal sites but i read somewhere that she was having some economic problems so if you can support her please do it :)

last edited at Mar 25, 2021 9:15PM by OrangePekoe

joined Jan 6, 2017

oh boy the manga is doing justice to the novel
i literally learned how to speak english reading this novel lol
I saw that someone doubted whether to read the second season or not, I left it in the middle because I did not have time but in fact it is quite good and has many romantic moments, the second season involves some issues about politics that are quite interesting without forgetting about all the fantasy and magic.
And claire and rei adopt two daughters and it's literally the cutest thing
PD:The author is really sweet she doesn't mind about people reading her work in illegal sites but i read somewhere that she was having some economic problems so if you can support her please do it :)

use == around the spoilered area to black it out

like this

last edited at Mar 25, 2021 9:15PM by OrangePekoe

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I wonder about those paragraphs. I get why they were cut (a Japanese cultural phenomenon that seems hella offensive or confusing to western readers was cut and so was a paragraph that went along with it which happened to show that Rei's behavior is a coping mechanism), but I wouldn't be surprised if this crucial detail isn't in the manga adaptation either. And while I adore this series to bits, from the Xenogears to the romance to the intrigue, literature it ain't. Your canonical works of "high fiction" or "literary fiction," which is what people consider literature over your churned out fiction, use imagery, heavy symbolism, figurative language, patterns, and metaphors at least. In the manga world, this would be Our Dreams at Dusk. Your average novel has exposition, clearly distinguished narrators, intentional staging, descriptions of actions and events, and frequent character introspection. Light novels are more like scripts for a play with all of that cut out in favor of dialogue and light exposition (though this varies a bit depending on the author).

That the whole reasoning for how Rei approaches Claire being a nihilistic response to her own experiences as a lesbian in the 21st century is off-handedly mentioned once and can be totally removed from the story with an accidental omission underscores that. Which does not diminish how awesome this work is as a light novel that is openly queer. When contextualized, you can see where it breaks away from other light novels

Edit: Nyashi! Do you mind if I contact you on discord? I have something that can help with naming conventions regarding WN vs LN

last edited at Mar 25, 2021 9:52PM

Εωανγελιον
Images
joined Mar 25, 2021

Man i really need to reread the novel
It is really good

Ezisrudvkaylvds
joined Jan 19, 2021

Edit: Nyashi! Do you mind if I contact you on discord? I have something that can help with naming conventions regarding WN vs LN

Go right ahead! my tag is Nyashi#2434

joined Nov 22, 2019

I wonder about those paragraphs. I get why they were cut (a Japanese cultural phenomenon that seems hella offensive or confusing to western readers was cut and so was a paragraph that went along with it which happened to show that Rei's behavior is a coping mechanism), but I wouldn't be surprised if this crucial detail isn't in the manga adaptation either. And while I adore this series to bits, from the Xenogears to the romance to the intrigue, literature it ain't. Your canonical works of "high fiction" or "literary fiction," which is what people consider literature over your churned out fiction, use imagery, heavy symbolism, figurative language, patterns, and metaphors at least. In the manga world, this would be Our Dreams at Dusk. Your average novel has exposition, clearly distinguished narrators, intentional staging, descriptions of actions and events, and frequent character introspection. Light novels are more like scripts for a play with all of that cut out in favor of dialogue and light exposition (though this varies a bit depending on the author).

That the whole reasoning for how Rei approaches Claire being a nihilistic response to her own experiences as a lesbian in the 21st century is off-handedly mentioned once and can be totally removed from the story with an accidental omission underscores that. Which does not diminish how awesome this work is as a light novel that is openly queer. When contextualized, you can see where it breaks away from other light novels

What is this "cultural phenomenon" you speak of? Thats sounds really interesting, could you give me some information on it? If its offensive that's fine, different culturals have elements that can seem offensive or strange to our culture, but I would still like to learn about them.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

And Rei's Cheat Mode activates! That loathsome staple of the isekai genre... which somehow seems much less objectionable in this context, perhaps because the story isn't just a blow-by-blow walkthrough of some crappy RPG. I wonder if this is a foreshadowing of all that stuff in the spoilers... or not?

joined Jul 16, 2020

Gods I hope the two of them will actually become a couple because the way Rei tries to get the prince and Claire together and how Claire acts like a lovestruck puppy around the prince, just rubs me the wrong way. I just hope I'm not wasting my time with this Manga and the wait will pay off.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ Don't worry, the original version of the story was a web-novel, and there (though I am yet to start reading the WN) Rei and Claire are well past the point of just being a couple

last edited at Mar 26, 2021 4:50PM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

https://mobile.twitter.com/inori_narou/status/1375617899683962884

This series ranked fifth in the "anime ka shite hoshii" poll!!! That's impressive knowing about quarter a million have participated in the voting. I am hopefully expecting an anime soon.

To reply you must either login or sign up.