Forum › Wake Ari na Kanojo-tachi discussion

Img_20200523_003304
joined Mar 6, 2020

Hell nah

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

Humans - killing other races since the beginning of time - at your service!

joined Apr 15, 2014

Well, I saw that coming a mile away.

I admittedly don't know enough about this author to assume what they've planned after this. But, sudden drama like this kind of derails the comfy feel I had for this story.

I'm still going to read this manga, but I assume I already know what's going to happen and how it happens.

Neji loves drama. Every single one of her series, even comfy ones like Bocchi Kaibutsu to Moumoku Shoujo, have a heavy dose of drama. It won't have forced het relationship, but the drama preceding it will get exploited for a little while.

joined Oct 11, 2019

Gotta love Neji's patented Empty Calories. Someone close to her really gotta explain how to create drama that works in service of the narrative

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Just pop put a kid or too and go back to Vivi, who as an immortal creature of the night can wait.

Shit they could just do artificial insemination and she could raise the kids with Vivi

these “last of the species” deals are always handled so obtusely, especially in modern settings

Come to think of it, it’s actually more efficient that way. Let Rumilu go out, find a nice lady/gentleman from a different species. He and Kara have a bunch of children. Vivi and Kara raise some on their own, and Rumilu and his partner raise the others (possibly alongside some half-Titans). Logically, two couples should be capable of properly caring for and raising more children than one would, meaning the species recovers at an even quicker pace.

I guess Titans are too traditional to comprehend having children out of wedlock (because their traditions seem to be working out so well for them right now). Either that or the dude also wants to marry Kara so that she returns to the Titan world and possibly brings along her harvest goddess blessings.

last edited at Jan 20, 2021 10:02AM

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

"Genetic purity" ain't a good look on anyone, ever.

last edited at Jan 21, 2021 4:57PM

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

"Is there any need to think it over?"
"Aah, I guess... that would be the normal thing"

NO. NO ITS NOT.

God that repulsed me SO heavily no it is absolutely not, get outta here with that shit.

Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

I wonder how long Neji will leave this on a cliffhanger, over/under 6 months?

last edited at Jan 20, 2021 12:31PM

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

Just do some IVF. Problem solved.

A8eb27cb4a70a5-a-nw-p
joined Feb 17, 2020

NEJIIII WHY LETTING US ON THIS CLIFFHANGER... seriously I will not being able to sleep peacefully now
I know she likes drama but this is too cruel

last edited at Jan 20, 2021 3:51PM

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

"Race purity" ain't a good look on anyone, ever.

I mean, there’s difference between trying preserve a socially constructed human “race” and trying to prevent your species from going extinct, who knows if they can even reproduce with non-titans.

Thought I suppose from an out of narrative perspective it comes across as looking the same

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

Quoth I:

Is this series suddenly rushing towards its dramatic conclusion in typical Neji-ish fashion? Answer: No.

I may have steered us wrong there.

joined Jan 5, 2020

"Race purity" ain't a good look on anyone, ever.

Well, no. But this isn't a race thing. Titans are literally a different species. That said, trying to restart a species with only two genetic sources is going to fail in an epic way. Their kids would have to have kids with each other and the whole European royal family should be proof enough of why inbreeding is a really bad idea.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Humans, the OG murder hobos, crapping on everyone's good time yet again. Those nasty, evil creatures are even worse than demons. At least demons keep the pacts they make.

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

AAAA WHY CANT NEJI COUPLES JUST BE HAPPY

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

The "they're a different species from humans, they might not even be able to successfully mate with them" thing really doesn't apply here. These are humanoid cryptid species that are so close to humans that interbreeding is 99.9% on the table unless the author decides to rule it out themselves. This is all about genetic purity. I used the wrong phrase, and that was my mistake. In fact, Vivi's situation also has to do with genetic purity, because her family sees her as "broken" because of her differences from "normal" vampires, probably brought on by genetic mutation. I wouldn't be surprised if "genetic purity as an idea is toxic" ends up being the central theme of this entire series.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Biologists and environmentalists care about genetic purity when subspecies or closely related species of animals start interbreeding due to habitat disruption.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Hey, Kara: I think you're forgetting something here... Like, the fact that Vivi needs your blood, or she will LITERALLY DIE! It's clear that you're totally NOT into guys and don't really want to go off and marry that guy so you can "keep the titans going", and even if the two of you have as many children as you can, you're just one couple, it's not going to revive an entire species. Meanwhile, Vivi is a girl that you fell in love with at first sight and who depends on you for her life. She is one of a kind, an outcast from her own world because of being different, and will waste away to nothing without you. So ask yourself: what is more important? The girl you love or the race of people who have only ever really valued you because of the fact that you are some sort of rarity that brings good crops, yet couldn't bring themselves to take the threat of an army that overwhelmingly outnumbered them and was well-armed seriously just because they were small people?

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The "they're a different species from humans, they might not even be able to successfully mate with them" thing really doesn't apply here. These are humanoid cryptid species that are so close to humans that interbreeding is 99.9% on the table unless the author decides to rule it out themselves.

We're getting into "How do you kill Dracula" territory here, but that is absolutely not how species work. Critically, the ability (or, more accurately, inability) to produce viable offspring is a key factor in determining if to animals are of a different species. It's perfectly possible, and even likely, for two similar looking species to be completely incompatible or for them to produce only sterile offspring.

That said, the author could just as easily choose to ignore that fact, as most fantasy series do.

More importantly, it doesn't seem like this new guy is actually the only other titan left, so much as there was a large drop in their population, but a lot of them are still left. As such, this is closer to the whole race traitor, it's your duty to wed a nice -white-titan boy and pump out as many titan babies as you can. Otherwise you're not doing your part and need to be learned a lesson.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

We're getting into "How do you kill Dracula" territory here, but that is absolutely not how species work.

I understand how actual existing species work. That's irrelevant here. I'm talking in the realms of fiction and mythology, where titans and vampires have been shown to be able to interbreed with humans, and only the author has the final say.

last edited at Jan 21, 2021 9:36PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

We're getting into "How do you kill Dracula" territory here, but that is absolutely not how species work.

I understand how actual existing species work. That's irrelevant here. I'm talking in the realms of fiction and mythology, where titans and vampires have been shown to be able to interbreed with humans, and only the author has the final say.

Hence "How do you kill Dracula."

Shamimomo%20hug
joined Jan 23, 2016

If we put general species information, you need at least ~500 genetically diverse individuals for a species to be able to safely come back from near extinction so if they're the only two Titans left then pureblood titans are effectively extinct. If they are able to interbreed with other races then for the sake of continuing Titans as a species (even not fullblooded) they'd want as many non-Titan partners as possible which the guy would be a better fit for the job... again assuming different species even can interbreed.

And if there are other options then she doesn't really have any reason she has to go with him.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Aaand dropped. Thanks for the ride, but this is where I get off.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

KUSO!

dmitry106 Uploader
Subtext Only Translations
joined Nov 24, 2020

It's great that this is finally getting updates. I really hope this is resolved quickly. Rumilu needs to get another girl.

To reply you must either login or sign up.