Forum › Living with My Brother's Wife. discussion

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Dang Kirin with the perfect summary.

Anyone know where Ritsuko pops up? I started reading at chapter 80 or something.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, that sure was yuri. And I don't mean the part the credits page jokes about, I mean of course the blushing over the scarf.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

So it seems like Heidi is trans after all? Although it seems like the bio-essentialist character reactions to her are gonna go mostly unexamined. At the very least she's as grounded a character as the rest of the cast, which is nice.

joined Jan 14, 2020

I still see no reason to be certain between "trans" (trans what, even?) and "gay male crossdresser". Or non-binary/genderqueer, maybe.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I still see no reason to be certain between "trans" (trans what, even?) and "gay male crossdresser". Or non-binary/genderqueer, maybe.

I've heard that the translator said Heidi was crossdresser male on Twitter

last edited at Dec 18, 2020 10:00PM

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

that last panel, specially shino's face, looks so cute right alongside the "WILL A FIGHT BREAK OUT!?" line lol

not that I don't like this plotline but I wonder when will see the kohai and a continuation of her (platonic)(?) confession from ch. 85.

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

I like Heidi but I'm getting really tired of the "lol they're hard to gender" shtick

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I was worried about the lack of updates but it looks like we got a lot this time, the raws for the next are already out too!? that's amazing, I won't spoil anything important but it was a lot of conversation no jutsu

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Surely, someday. Ha.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Awwww. That was sweet.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I deadass thought Heidi was flipping Shino the bird for the gender question here.

At any rate, our cabaret charmer continues to get more interesting with every chapter. I feel like they, like many other characters in this series, embody the themes of a pointless, unfortunate love- just as Shino loves someone she couldn't rationally hope to be with thanks to their family situation, and just as Nozomi loves someone who isn't here anymore, Heidi is defined by attractions that are doomed to fail, ending either in outright rejection or clandestine, shameful relationships. They must believe that it's better to have something rather than nothing, because otherwise, all their sufferings and disappointments would be for naught- like many people who embody a marginalized identity, their life is defined by fragile hope. To Nozomi, entertaining such hopes would be immensely painful, so she can only rue the entire situation, and to Shino, the status quo is simultaneously satisfying and dissatisfying, offering both stress and relief. Kuzushiro's ability to create characters trapped and sustained by their own coping mechanisms continues to be amazing.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Another exercise in making Shino's feelings as obvious as possible while making sure Nozomi (nor Shino herself) doesn't quite realize the extent quite yet. "Would do anything for you", really...

joined Jan 14, 2020

"Would you take your brother's place?"

"WOULD I???" glomp

Man, the covers sure tease.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Man, the covers sure tease.

Yeah, as I’ve said before, the covers and spot illos are like “Here It Is—Hot Yuri Action, The Way You Like It!” while the story itself is, “Maybe Yuri, At Some Point? Or Not . . .”

I love this one either way, though.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Haahaha this keeps getting better

joined Feb 18, 2015

I'm hoping that the text on the GORGEOUS cover illustration is supposed to be "In SPITE of the chill" instead of "In SPIT of the chill"... because as it's written it's kinda gross.

Lis%20pricefield%205
joined Jun 13, 2019

I'm only at chp. 26 but WHAT THE FCK ARE THESE UNEXPECTED SPOILER PLOT TWISTS

joined Oct 5, 2016

I do love Nozomi's expression here of like, "omg I was still coming to terms with the idea that we were flirting and now it turns out Heidi only likes men and I'm the gay one"

joined Jan 14, 2020

I think Heidi is also gay but not in a way compatible with Nozomi.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

"Kuzushiro's ability to create characters trapped and sustained by their own coping mechanisms continues to be amazing."

Story of my life. Damn Kirin the impressive story analyzer. Good work.

last edited at Dec 25, 2020 5:12AM

joined Dec 13, 2018

I've never really been sure how diegetic the attraction between Shino and Nozomi was supposed to be.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I've never really been sure how diegetic the attraction between Shino and Nozomi was supposed to be.

My read is that we are to understand that:

• Shino is gay (or proto-gay), and sexually attracted to Nozomi (as well as loving her deeply as her onee-san).

How aware Shino is of the nature of her feelings is up in the air—she appears to be keeping them at arm’s length from her own consciousness.

• Nozomi is very fond of and deeply emotionally connected to Shino in an exceptionally skinshippy way.

Ritsuko, and I believe now Heidi, suspect that her feelings go even deeper than that, but if Nozomi also suspects that about herself, so far she’s committed to keeping those feelings at longer-than-arm’s-length from her own consciousness.

EDIT: On the other hand, if mutual-blush-sex is a thing, these two have have been going at it like bunny rabbits since Day 1.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 1:09PM

joined Dec 13, 2018

• Shino is gay (or proto-gay), and sexually attracted to Nozomi (as well as loving her deeply as her onee-san).

How aware Shino is of the nature of her feelings is up in the air—she appears to be keeping them at arm’s length from her own consciousness.

• Nozomi is very fond of and deeply emotionally connected to Shino in an exceptionally skinshippy way.

Ritsuko, and I believe now Heidi, suspect that her feelings go even deeper than that, but if Nozomi also suspects that about herself, so far she’s committed to keeping those feelings at longer-than-arm’s-length from her own consciousness.

EDIT: On the other hand, if mutual-blush-sex is a thing, these two have have been going at it like bunny rabbits since Day 1.

Thanks for the insight. I'm surprised that, after dozens of chapters, we seem to be actually exploring this attraction and what it means. Probably it will be in a somewhat indirect manner, but this is getting quite outright with the gay.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Some strange old lady... :D

joined Feb 18, 2015

It certainly seems like Ritsuko has a hunch that Nozomi is bi, or perhaps direct knowledge of that fact from long term friendship. After all, there's no guarantee that Nozomi didn't date or have crushes on a girl or two prior to meeting Shino's brother and Ritsuko would likely know about that if it were true. In any event, I can't imagine that Ritsuko would have taken her to a cabaret club of the sort that Heidi works at if she didn't at least suspect that she would enjoy the attentions of a pretty woman more than the attentions of a man at this point in her life, even if it was only a hostess in a bar.

To reply you must either login or sign up.