Forum › Motto Hanjuku Joshi discussion

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Why did the tag is still not put ? It's not like it's some kind of spoiler of anything, Youko has been lowkey cheating since start.

Because the people in charge of the tagging don't agree with your pet peeve.

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

the worst thing is that the boyfriend seems genuinely nice and kind... like she doesn’t have any issues with her boyfriend. i guess two timers are like that huh

I can say....from personal experience. It really be like that lmao

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Did this end in Galette 16?

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Why did the tag is still not put ? It's not like it's some kind of spoiler of anything, Youko has been lowkey cheating since start.

Because the people in charge of the tagging don't agree with your pet peeve.

Care to retract that?

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

This is...disappointing. It's just not very good. It's not good as a sequel. It's not good as a standalone. It's sort of...there. I read the first few chapters when they came out and didn't think it was anything special, and after having caught up I still find it quite un-special. I don't hate it, but it's disappointing to read something so bland and straightforward from one of our greats.

Disregarding the obvious complaints made regarding amnesiac jealousy, there's just not enough new ground here to cover. Chitose and Yae more or less retread the same "drama" from the first series (and not even the good parts!!). Neither their individual character nor their relationship dynamic are fleshed out any further, or shown to have evolved since the ending of the first series. When the sequel does bring up past material (i.e. futanari and gender talk) it feels far too brief and phoned in to have any impact. As the series progressed, I lost sight of why they're even in this story to begin with.

I'm imagining Morishima wanted to write about Youko (and perhaps Yae's reaction to her being bi). There's a lot of potential here, and we do get occasional glimpses on the fringes. Morishima's comedic flare is still present, and her timing is as good as ever. Some of the character interactions are very real in their spitefulness. Fencing is great and swordplay is far too rare in yuri manga in general. Ayumu has a nice shell, and her struggle with identifying and dating a bisexual woman is not just relatable, but almost never approached with the level of consideration it deserves for a genre about girls loving girls. Given the depth of conflict in Hanjuku Joshi and Morishima's own struggles with sexuality, this seems like an obvious pressure point that gets little more than a passing mention.

Which, sadly, seems to sum up a good portion of this manga. The character introductions are clumsy. The "attachments" between our main couples, to the extent they exist, go almost completely undeveloped. The boyfriend is introduced as a simple plot device and never goes anywhere further. Like, some of this stuff is brought up in such a rapid and disinterested way, it made me wonder if she wasn't working overtime to keep the page count as low as possible. I like brevity, sure, but there's so little commitment to any actual exploration here, much of the work put in feels wasted. Even avoiding the most obvious comparison, neither the plot nor the characters beget any of the very real satisfaction that her stories usually deliver. The couple dynamics aren't new. The conflict setups aren't new. Even the characters themselves have so little quirk or life that they feel old and overplayed.

The story may not be salvageable, but I do still love and appreciate Morishima Akiko for all she's brought us in her many years of storytelling. I trust that this is a random blip, a result of many poor factors coinciding at the wrong time. I know in a better world, this would be everything Hanjuku Joshi was, and more. I do hope the series received a satisfying conclusion in Galette 16, even if I know it won't satisfy me personally. (Sorry, this mostly just reads like a rant.)

Edit: And yes, sorry for not having added the Cheating and Bisexual tags sooner. They definitely ought to have been here since at least chapter 6. Given that they'll be taking up about half the series at its presumed conclusion, they are necessary pretty much however you look at it.

last edited at Dec 22, 2020 10:41AM

Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

This is...disappointing. It's just not very good. It's not good as a sequel. It's not good as a standalone. It's sort of...there. I read the first few chapters when they came out and didn't think it was anything special, and after having caught up I still find it quite un-special. I don't hate it, but it's disappointing to read something so bland and straightforward from one of our greats.

Disregarding the obvious complaints made regarding amnesiac jealousy, there's just not enough new ground here to cover. Chitose and Yae more or less retread the same "drama" from the first series (and not even the good parts!!). Neither their individual character nor their relationship dynamic are fleshed out any further, or shown to have evolved since the ending of the first series. When the sequel does bring up past material (i.e. futanari and gender talk) it feels far too brief and phoned in to have any impact. As the series progressed, I lost sight of why they're even in this story to begin with.

I'm imagining Morishima wanted to write about Youko (and perhaps Yae's reaction to her being bi). There's a lot of potential here, and we do get occasional glimpses on the fringes. Morishima's comedic flare is still present, and her timing is as good as ever. Some of the character interactions are very real in their spitefulness. Fencing is great and swordplay is far too rare in yuri manga in general. Ayumu has a nice shell, and her struggle with identifying and dating a bisexual woman is not just relatable, but almost never approached with the level of consideration it deserves for a genre about girls loving girls. Given the depth of conflict in Hanjuku Joshi and Morishima's own struggles with sexuality, this seems like an obvious pressure point that gets little more than a passing mention.

Which, sadly, seems to sum up a good portion of this manga. The character introductions are clumsy. The "attachments" between our main couples, to the extent they exist, go almost completely undeveloped. The boyfriend is introduced as a simple plot device and never goes anywhere further. Like, some of this stuff is brought up in such a rapid and disinterested way, it made me wonder if she wasn't working overtime to keep the page count as low as possible. I like brevity, sure, but there's so little commitment to any actual exploration here, much of the work put in feels wasted. Even avoiding the most obvious comparison, neither the plot nor the characters beget any of the very real satisfaction that her stories usually deliver. The couple dynamics aren't new. The conflict setups aren't new. Even the characters themselves have so little quirk or life that they feel old and overplayed.

The story may not be salvageable, but I do still love and appreciate Morishima Akiko for all she's brought us in her many years of storytelling. I trust that this is a random blip, a result of many poor factors coinciding at the wrong time. I know in a better world, this would be everything Hanjuku Joshi was, and more. I do hope the series received a satisfying conclusion in Galette 16, even if I know it won't satisfy me personally. (Sorry, this mostly just reads like a rant.)

Edit: And yes, sorry for not having added the Cheating and Bisexual tags sooner. They definitely ought to have been here since at least chapter 6. Given that they'll be taking up about half the series at its presumed conclusion, they are necessary pretty much however you look at it.

The og was my very first yuri series so it left quite the impression on me, it’s one of my favorites, but even with that being said, this sequel didn’t really grab me. I guess I just wanted more Yae/Chitose, I had grown very attached to them. I was pleasantly surprised the introduction of Ayumu didn’t devolve this into a jealousy driven drama-fest for Yae as Chitose struggled with her feelings though. Chitose pretty much squashed that immediately which I really appreciated lol.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Yeah, as much as I'm not that into this, we definitely ought to take the little wins where we can. Reading back on some of those comments from earlier in the series...would've been tough to wait months to see if it was really going there. That particular love triangle and its associated drama never developing is a good thing!

last edited at Dec 22, 2020 2:12PM

Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

Was this the last chapter? Can't remember if there is one more or not before it ends.

Edit: I answered my own question, I guess there is one more!

last edited at Jan 6, 2021 5:45PM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Was this the last chapter? Can't remember if there is one more or not before it ends.

How do you know how many chapters there are going to be? This was just published a few weeks ago.

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

Oof, I was not expecting things to go that smoothly. I had prepared myself for a lot more drama

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Lookit that doggo!

The shining after sex thing is great, nice fluffy chapter. Though I'm very confused about its publication status...?

joined Aug 8, 2020

She had better not be lying about dumping her exbf I stg. Also hell yeah Mari returns! Excited to see what shes been up to.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

schuyguy posted:

How do you know how many chapters there are going to be? This was just published a few weeks ago.

Manga always ends as soon as main couple gets together, right? That's just the common sense of storytelling.

Lastpersimmondrops
Chi3c
joined Apr 22, 2020

Chapter 11 art really kicks up a notch on the gorgeous scale.

Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

I thought I saw something on the author’s Twitter about it coming to an end, but now I’ll have to dig through and try and find it again lol.

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

For once, giving the potential cheater the benefit of the doubt paid off. Now, technically she slept with her new girlfriend and THEN broke it off with him, which, a little backwards. But you can tell she was seriously thinking about what to do since she went and called him as soon as she got home. And she's a teenager. I'll give her a pass. Comparisons to the previous series aside, this chapter makes me feel much better about where it's going.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I thought I saw something on the author’s Twitter about it coming to an end, but now I’ll have to dig through and try and find it again lol.

Okay. Galette announced that they'd be doing mostly oneshots this year, except for Liberty and My Cute Little Kitten, so I wondered if this was going to wrap up or if Morishima would continue releasing it on her own or something.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

For once, giving the potential cheater the benefit of the doubt paid off. Now, technically she slept with her new girlfriend and THEN broke it off with him, which, a little backwards. But you can tell she was seriously thinking about what to do since she went and called him as soon as she got home. And she's a teenager. I'll give her a pass. Comparisons to the previous series aside, this chapter makes me feel much better about where it's going.

Personally i don't feel better, precisely because they fucked before Youko break up. Not to mention making the boy like nothing more than just a plot device. He has done nothing, he was always ok for Youko to go with the other, we barely see him in 11 chapters, we never see them doing something together and worse of all, not only the break up was off screen (!!!!! Imagine treating something potentially big off screen) and you tell me he has accepted that her GF told her that she ditch him for a girl and he hold not grudge ? That's like plot convenienceat this maximum.
It's like a worse version of the BF arc in Girl Friends. At least, it's ending, not gonna lie that it's maybe for the better.

140128864_3659815120778708_7148561155374491582_n
joined Jul 14, 2016

Chapter 11 art really kicks up a notch on the gorgeous scale.

Right!? I'm so glad you said something, I thought i was just imagining it.

Fullsizeoutput_6fd
joined Aug 24, 2017

Man when I got that email notification and saw the cheating tag it scared the crap out of me. I still feel bad about the boyfriend but at least it was a relatively clean breakup

Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

Okay. Galette announced that they'd be doing mostly oneshots this year, except for Liberty and My Cute Little Kitten, so I wondered if this was going to wrap up or if Morishima would continue releasing it on her own or something.

Good news, I went back and looked and I guess I just imagined it. I don't see anything on her twitter about Motto Hanjuku past the tweet about this chapter when it released anyways.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That honestly went much better than I expected. As cute as the start of the chapter was, with the cheating still hanging over them it still left a slightly bitter aftertaste, but luckily Youko has finally properly broken up with her boyfriend, and while there are sure to be troubles ahead, it's now time for their proper romance to start.

Asagi_d4
joined Feb 23, 2017

Yae and Chitose's :O :D reaction to their post-sex battle aura was absolutely hilarious.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Yae and Chitose's :O :D reaction to their post-sex battle aura was absolutely hilarious.

"How could you tell!?" XD

Also yay it's Mari-sempai!

To reply you must either login or sign up.