Forum › Motto Hanjuku Joshi discussion

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

In a way this reminds me of A Room For Two. She doesn't see a need to define their relationship with any specific labels, it's perfectly fine for them just to be together. Unlike that one, the understanding is not quite mutual here, though, leading to the current situation.

I like the way you think, yes I do. (ˇ◡ˇ)b

joined Jul 23, 2019

Are her parents married? Divorced? I don't remember at all.

If they are still married, it gives a whole new meaning to Mari's comment: "Me and mother have always been showing up with boys."

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^ Nah, just cheating.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Me, I wish I could recall if at some point we were told about their family situation. Are her parents married? Divorced? I don't remember at all.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time ever we hear anything about Hanashima's home life.

Unlike that one, the understanding is not quite mutual here, though, leading to the current situation.

To be quite blunt the current situation is due to Ran going weird for pretty nonsensical reasons that border on the gratuitous as far as writing goes. They were fucking like rabbits for the better part of Mari's last year in HS - y'know, when Edogawa actually should have kept her distance morally and ethically speaking - and NOW she suddenly develops reservations about "being in a student's home" (as Mari rightly points out she's not even her student anymore)?
That's pretty what. tier.

Got witnessed in flagrante delicto by the younger sister who's also one of her students? Yeah I can see how that'd feel pretty awks at school (and in general), but as a reason to stop showing her face in the club she's supposed to supervise never mind now breaking up? Yeah, no. That's puerile and downright ridiculous.

If Mari is treating the whole thing like some random caprice of Edogawa's, well, that's because it basically is.

If they are still married, it gives a whole new meaning to Mari's comment: "Me and mother have always been showing up with boys."

Would definitely like to hear some details. It already sounds like Eri and Mari have different fathers (not too unusual, and doesn't seem to affect their relationship any) and Mari refers to the parents in the plural, on the next page casually mentioning her mother regardless "showing up with boys all the time" (implicitly openly).
Now THAT definitely sounds like a bit unusual household.
Some kind of "open marriage" arrangement perhaps, or one of those marriages of convenience where the partners find their sexual and emotional fulfillment elsewhere?

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 6:51PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I always thought labeling Mari a bisexual was a mistake. To me, she seemed to be throwing herself at guys in a vain attempt to erase her feelings for Ran, and convince herself she's straight. Two girls together were just "playing childish love games", after all.

This chapter seems to suggest that Mari didn't completely stop sleeping with guys, which kills my theory, and also saddens me

Also I agree with random that Ran getting reservations about the Morality of their relationship now, is just a super lazy plot device. I mean, we are talking about the woman who literally INITIATED sex with her high school student while her friend slepted in the bed right next to them.

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 8:49PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

This chapter seems to suggest that Mari didn't completely stop sleeping with guys, which kills my theory, and also saddens me.

Tolerably certain they're referring to the time before she started dating Ran.

joined Sep 1, 2017

This chapter seems to suggest that Mari didn't completely stop sleeping with guys, which kills my theory, and also saddens me.

You might be right but it's just the impression that I got.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I just re-read the chapter and literally can't see how. Everything Eri muses about her implies past tense when it comes to that.

joined Dec 5, 2019

It's in the past, the sister even goes as far to make a comparison to how she was and hos she is now.

Mari is compleately smitten by Ran and aRan can't seem to see it

joined Sep 1, 2017

I just re-read the chapter and literally can't see how. Everything Eri muses about her implies past tense when it comes to that.

It was more that Mari never told her sister that she gave up on guys. I know it's thin but I want Mari to say those words, before I accept her lesbian card as cannon.

joined Jul 26, 2016

It was more that Mari never told her sister that she gave up on guys. I know it's thin but I want Mari to say those words, before I accept her lesbian card as cannon.

okay.jpg
Reckon you'll be waiting for a really long time given this Hanashima Mari, Flippant Extraordinaire by the grace of God, who never sweated the small stuff.

Also? It's canon not cannon - sheezus people, the spelling matters >:c

joined Sep 1, 2017

My silly yuri skepticism aside, I hope Morishima Akiko doesn't try and turn this bizarre little misunderstanding between Mari and Ran into a multi-chapter story arc. I really wanted to get an update on the couple but this premise is thin and forced.

joined Sep 1, 2017

okay.jpg
Reckon you'll be waiting for a really long time given this Hanashima Mari, Flippant Extraordinaire by the grace of God, who never sweated the small stuff.

I know but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Also? It's canon not cannon - sheezus people, the spelling matters >:c

Spelling is dead. Just ask google.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I really wanted to get an update on the couple but this premise is thin and forced.

This we can agree on. While I appreciate the look into their interpersonal dynamics and Mari's background getting fleshed out more (plus Eri's a pretty interesting character), and admittedly Ran's always been something of a worrywart who gets overly hung up on minor details, the execution here feels majorly gratuitous and forced.
It also makes Edogawa-sensei look farcically immature and fickle which... probably isn't the intention.

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

The further down the line, the less Cheating tag put on the whole story feels appropriate. At this point, Cheating is present, looking quite generously, in chapters 7-11. 4-11 if we really stretch it to the absolute limits.

Just a pet peeve, because it always puts me off, before I remember what it is.

joined Sep 1, 2017

The further down the line, the less Cheating tag put on the whole story feels appropriate. At this point, Cheating is present, looking quite generously, in chapters 7-11. 4-11 if we really stretch it to the absolute limits.

Wasn't the last story arc all about Yae's ex-crush cheating on her boyfriend with her fencing bestie?

last edited at Mar 31, 2021 8:30PM

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

Wasn't the last story arc all about Yae's ex-crush cheating on her boyfriend with her fencing bestie?

Yes, but they were technically going out only between chapters 7 and 11. If we only counted sex, then it would be just chapters 10 and 11. If we really stretch it to vague emotional cheating, then it's 4-11, but I don't recall any other story being tagged that way.

Whichever way, unless this new arc moves to Cheating in some way, it will make it 1/3 - doesn't really seem necessary to tag the whole work.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Yes, but they were technically going out only between chapters 7 and 11. If we only counted sex, then it would be just chapters 10 and 11. If we really stretch it to vague emotional cheating, then it's 4-11, but I don't recall any other story being tagged that way.

Whichever way, unless this new arc moves to Cheating in some way, it will make it 1/3 - doesn't really seem necessary to tag the whole work.

Fair enough.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

glad1983 posted:

Talk about some bad timing on our part. I'll definitely be reconsidering this tagging in the near future, especially given that the series doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon?

joined Jun 12, 2015

Next chapter is the last.

urbs Uploader
Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

Aw man

joined Dec 8, 2019

Just caught up and gotta say I'm happy how thing turned out, but I feel bad for Katsuji. Never was anything but good to Youko, and just had the misfortune of being a yuri manga character's airhead boyfriend. RIP to a real one.

Maxresdefault2
joined Jan 31, 2018

Where did you get this info? According to anime-planet, chapter 13 has been released, and chapter 12 doesn't seem to be the last one.

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

I want a spin off of sensei and Mari. Looks fun

last edited at Jul 27, 2021 9:55PM

joined Apr 6, 2021

Wait what? Is it really over? That kinda came out of nowhere, especially considering the original series had 18 chapters. I mean I loved every page and this I’m glad we got a sequel series at all, but what? I can’t believe this is the end. It just feels like there was a lot more story that was supposed to be told here. Like there was more planned but the series got cut short? Unless Morishima Akiko is a genius and plans to do ANOTHER SEQUEL!? That’d be amazing lol. But I still wish we got more of this

Talk about some bad timing on our part. I'll definitely be reconsidering this tagging in the near future, especially given that the series doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon?

Also this comment didn’t age very well lol, only 4 months later

last edited at Sep 2, 2021 10:49PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.