Forum › Who Decided That Blues Had To Be Cool!? discussion

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Kiana posted:

Minor thing, but I keep seeing "cos" instead of "'cause" in translations lately. It bugs me a bit more than it probably should...

Yes, since as far as I'm aware "cos" is a very old abbreviation of "because" at this point and was in use for some time already. I see and use it for at least 10 years now.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Aside from Nanoha and Madoka, isn't there yuri in Yuki Yuna? Also, does Flip Flappers count? They're magical (I think), they transform (sometimes), they fight an evil secret organization, and they have a mascot.

->Doesn't count Symphogear

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Aside from Nanoha and Madoka, isn't there yuri in Yuki Yuna? Also, does Flip Flappers count? They're magical (I think), they transform (sometimes), they fight an evil secret organization, and they have a mascot.

->Doesn't count Symphogear

Symphogear is excellent and deserves more love. Also, the gacha game features Hibiki in a suit, automatically making it the greatest piece of media ever produced (tearfully pats XDU NA's corpse).

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Firstly WHY cant we have some magical girl anime with actual yuri!! :(

And secondly, why is her fairy so creepy lol?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/puellamagimadoka/images/d/d1/2438561-puella_magi_madoka_magica-06-kyubey-staring.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160812215518

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I love the conceit of “magical girl is like a dead-end
job,” and this girl is having second thoughts about her career. For all the ways Magical Girl stuff has been retold for a more adult audience lately, I think this aspect of it as a grueling job is underexplored.

Well with that one big exception

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

^ Yup- I think I know all the big subtext magical girl yuri ships out there- and dont get me wrong I love them :) I really love 'The demon girl next door' and really hope s2 will be great :)

But I meant a magical girl show with blatent yuri like in strawberry panic or sakura trick, with kissing and romance and dating etc!

I would kill for a season of precure where 2 of the girls actually became a couple!

The closest I can think of is nanoha, where the two mains are effectively married, sharing a house, a bed and a child. However you never get to see them DO anything,

Edit: of course nanoha is s mech anime in magical girl clothing so it may not count :p

In Sailor Moon the "cousins" are a couple in the Japanese version too

Ohh an Mako is overtly attracted to Ryuko in Kill la Kill

last edited at Nov 29, 2020 4:24PM

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Raw

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

This is really fun! I always love it when there's a meta twist to the magical girl formula. I hope we can see Ruby's civilian form too haha

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@Skywallker Just to be clear in the Japanese version they are NOT cousins. They tried to hide all the blatent and subtext yuri by making them cousins and cutting stuff for the terrible western release where they also altered all their names to something dumb as well.

last edited at Nov 30, 2020 3:59AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I did kinda forget about symphogear and nanoha- they do count, but they are still not exactly the blatent 'we are girlfriends' and on screen kissing I hope to see one day :)

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

@Skywallker Just to be clear in the Japanese version they are NOT cousins. They tried to hide all the blatent and subtext yuri by making them cousins and cutting stuff for the terrible western release where they also altered all their names to something dumb as well.

Yeah thats why cousins was in quotation But i Guess it w
Wasnt quite clear what i meant

Rsz_wa
joined Sep 5, 2019

I love magical girl yuri mangas, i dont know why

or maybe Im biased because madoka magica was great and "looking up to magical girls" might be the greatest ecchi yuri comedy ever made

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

I think nobody would want to be blue.... Blue sucks...

last edited at Dec 1, 2020 2:27AM

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Shit back in the early 90s I wanted to be the blue ranger....so.....

last edited at Dec 1, 2020 11:10AM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Poryu: Why can't you just realize that you and Ruby are gay for each other?
Azurite: We are not. I just think she's really cute and she thinks I'm cool. You can't just say we're-
Poryu: On the mahou shoujo exam, we asked questions that only lesbians would know the answers to.
Azurite: Then how did I pass- oh.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Poryu: Why can't you just realize that you and Ruby are gay for each other?
Azurite: We are not. I just think she's really cute and she thinks I'm cool. You can't just say we're-
Poryu: On the mahou shoujo exam, we asked questions that only lesbians would know the answers to.
Azurite: Then how did I pass- oh.

Check and mate.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Ruby's civilian form is probably a super popular classmate who secretly adored Azusa's cringey high school intro

Also I adore Azusa and her mascot's relationship. It's super cute and so much fun

last edited at Dec 1, 2020 1:02PM

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

I like this, a lot

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

Ruby's civilian form is probably a super popular classmate who secretly adored Azusa's cringey high school intro

So Ruby is the Asuka to Azusa's Tomoko?

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

I didn't want to be any ranger. When wounded I wouldn't bleed, but let out sparkles instead and that suit would be so far up my butt crack that I could cross off a prostate exam from my to-do list. Also I would be the one to suggest to start the fight already with the Megazord since we always fail to kill the monsters before they get bigger and I'm sure that would make me really upopular.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I didn't want to be any ranger. When wounded I wouldn't bleed, but let out sparkles instead and that suit would be so far up my butt crack that I could cross off a prostate exam from my to-do list. Also I would be the one to suggest to start the fight already with the Megazord since we always fail to kill the monsters before they get bigger and I'm sure that would make me really upopular.

I'm sure there's plenty of kids who would love if the show were just giant robots vs. monsters.

5 year old me would have, I know that much.

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

I'm sure there's plenty of kids who would love if the show were just giant robots vs. monsters.

5 year old me would have, I know that much.

The first thing 5 years old me thought seeing Power Rangers for the first time was how uncomfortable those suits would be in Summer and why was everybody exploding.

Yesyes
joined Mar 17, 2020

idk this is getting pretty gay for a non-yuri manga

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

This is a non-yuri manga?

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

This is a non-yuri manga?

Author's drawn some pretty clear yuri stuff before, and this doesn't seem to break from tradition. Probably just a case of the 'mahou shoujo' aspect taking precedence over the 'yuri' one in terms of advertising and tagging. Although I'd personally like to think that magical girls are so gay that it's a given that any series about them would feature lesbians.

To reply you must either login or sign up.