Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

This is the best love story i ever read/watched/witnessed/experienced! Hands down.

Its just... The characters and events appears so real, so down to earth, so mundane (was that the right words?) and yet so lovable and close to heart(again, was that the right words?)

I love the attention to every small detail. I love how its starts playing with perspective for us to know how both Adachi and Shimamura see the events and world around them and ends up in a way that we don't need to peer into it any more to know what other girl feels. I love how complicated their chemistry is, how both, bright and dark sides of their personalities affect the story.

Seriously, if to compare it with to say Yagakimi(which i like too), the later seems so idealistic...

My only complaint is "come on, 8 volumes, they confessed in 6 and there are still no kisses?". Something even more physical would be appreciated.

In the end it makes +1 author whose wellbeing i'm concerned about. Long live Iruma Hitoma.

Though afterwords in the end of vol 8 scares me. Part that "it will still go on for a little while". Never -endings are bad, but its that kind of story i wish would go on and on.

Oh, and there is 1 trope that would fit perfectly into the story. I'm surprised it was never used, basically i wished we had at least 1 scene on the second floor of the gym in the future.

I feel you brother, I think a lot of us do, what's so good about this series is how realistic both characters feel, Ina completely different way from others wee we understand their goals or wants Adachi and Shima really feel alive in a sense with how into detail the author goes into them, and they're both extremely weird people so I think weirdos can really relate to them on an extremely personal level, both Shimas general apathy towards life and the way she handled her relationshisps in a kinda calculated way and Adachi's social anxiety and her self imposed isolation cuz she's both scared of opening up to other but also kind of mad at herself for being like that.

Down to earth, real, mundane yet lovable and close to heart are pretty good words to describe the work yes, the first part comes from how much we get to know Shima and Adachi and how we truly get to see them worry about every aspect of their relationship and their own personal lives, and the lovable and close to heart comes from how we see how much impact each new revelation they come to affects them, and it's all cuz we know them so we'll, like truly that first time Adachi finally said what she felt and how Shima was happy to hear it and wanted Adachi to say it correctly again to her face was just beautiful, I was screaming and super excited myself exactly cuz I knew how much that meant to Adachi and happy that Shima was ready to accept her feelings.

And again it all comes down to how much effort the author put into making both characters lol they just feel so real and indeed we get to know everything about them the good and the bad and how they mesh together.

I mean yagakimi is a different type of beast I feel like it also captures the characters pretty well for a manga the medium just doesn't allow for such an in-depth look into the characters but it still does a fantastic job I feel really captures a different type of feel and characters then usual, do to and read the Sayaka spin off novels though if you haven't already, written by the same author that does this, same level of quality and characterization, Sayaka is just such a sweetheart I love her and I'm glad she got those LNs.

Indeed the lack of physical contact is a little frustrating but this is just that type of very slow burn, it's also understandable with this two, and especially since Shima is still kind of on the fence, and Adachi is Adachi, I swear she'll do the first one on accident trying to kiss Shimas for head or something, we did get that bath scene though that was pretty nice.

I too hope this goes on for a long time and that we get to see everything lol all up to their first time and wedding even, cuz it's also my favorite love story ever.

last edited at Nov 23, 2020 6:20AM

joined Oct 22, 2020

In Volume 2, ch06 - white album, the very final lines.

"... The events of today would certainly not end up turning into a pleasant memory.
Why? Because my mind had blanked out and I barely remember a thing.
It was similar to the way snow hid the landscape.
Only one thing had been etched into my mind. That was, the existence of the White album."

Now I guess i get the similarity between blanking out and snow, i guess, but I don't get the reference to 'the White Album'. I know there's a VN/manga/anime with that name but I haven't read/watched any of that, is it related?

Can anyone help me out / explain? Thanks.

last edited at Nov 25, 2020 7:57AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Now I guess i get the similarity between blanking out and snow, i guess, but I don't get the reference to 'the White Album'. I know there's a VN/manga/anime with that name but I haven't read/watched any of that, is it related?

Can anyone help me out / explain? Thanks.

Probably unrelated. According to the translator earlier in this thread:

-The chapter titles are jojo references. According to the Japanese wiki: Shimamura at the gym > Rohan at the Louvre, Yashiro: the visitor > Baoh: the visitor, Adachi's Q > Dead Man's Q, Strange Adachi > Gorgeous Irene, Christmas ongoing; Shimamura's thoughts > Under execution under jailbreak, White album > white album. Some make more sense in Japanese, of course

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

You thought this was a yuri romance novel, but it was me, Dio!

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

You thought this was a yuri romance novel, but it was me, Dio!

Lol.
I'm due to catch up by month's end.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

BV oh?, you're approaching me?

last edited at Nov 26, 2020 9:35AM

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Kailos, The white album refers to the Beatles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_(album)

since its a jojo reference and jojo likes referencing classic rock lol

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

But in all honesty, I have no idea where its ending. Looks like TBS is going to have to be like I GUESS BOTH YURI's are getting a SEQUEL (or OVA)

last edited at Nov 27, 2020 4:32PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

BV oh?, you're approaching me?

Yes

joined Sep 19, 2020

I too hope this goes on for a long time and that we get to see everything lol all up to their first time and wedding even, cuz it's also my favorite love story ever.

I don't think that they are weirdos or anything, by themselves at least, a little broken in a way, but nothing extreme. What makes them shine is their relationship, and tbh i envy the passion of Adachi.

About mundanity. Their dates are the best. Most of them are fucked up by all standards... would have been if not for how good of a persons both of them are. Take "boomerang challenge" , Adachi's whole plan have been "1) go to park 2) throw the thing 3) ??? 4) Kiss? 5) End". And in any other world it would be so much lame, if Shima wasn't Shima. Others feel real too, because of how "imperfect" they are, i totally can see something like this happening or happened irl. Other things too, like how the whole Tarumi story played out. Or whole thing at the start of the year.

Oh, and "other timelines" are so wholesome. I was happy to know, that no matter what, Sakura and Hougetsu would be together, even if they met early or late, even if Adachi haven't changed.

Thanks for recommendation, definitely gonna read Sayaka's story. Even more so, she was my favourite Yagakimi character, though Yuu x Touka' s chemistry is definitely much "stronger" than Sayaka alone. But currently i'm reading Seabed and somehow got the feeling that something with zero emotional pressure would be needed afterwords, before i can get to something like this. Probably some kind of shounen or action.

Btw did Hino and Nahafuji had sex, but "offscreen"? I mean that scene in a bath at the end of vol 4. Its like it ended right before.

Does Japan even have same sex marriages? I'd say its not mandatory, but their life under same roof is a must, at least for a whole volume.

P.S. Thanks for the reply, its nice discussing something i really like with another person.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Does Japan even have same sex marriages? I'd say its not mandatory, but their life under same roof is a must, at least for a whole volume.

P.S. Thanks for the reply, its nice discussing something i really like with another person.

lol bro they are fucking weirdos, Adachi is someone that has this crippling fear and rejection of other people, it's so weird, she wants to make connections with others but at the same time she doesn't, she's scared of being hurt and decided to just push everyone away, that's made her very reclusive and kind of out of touch, Shima sees every relationship in a very weird light as well, she just does the bare minimum to appear normal but doesn't particularly like anyone and also wants to keep everyone at arm's length that along with her general laziness is fucking weird, both of them also don't really have any hobbies and are very uncomfortable with trying new things, they're fucking weird, if anything they're not weird when they are together, especially now that they're both trying to change for the better thx to being in love.

Oh weird dates like that where you thought you had a great plan but it's just shit happen bro believe that ...... Vietnam flashbacks ...... Indeed there's this feeling of realness to everything, cuz everything always goes wrong but in a good way lol.

Kinda salty they don't call themselves by their first names now that you mention it lol, that one time they did it was super wholesome though, and while I did like the alternate timelines and seeing office lady versions of them, Top Adachi power version, alien shima version, end of the world ? Versions of them I was also kinda like, c'mon dude give us more of our pair lol, like that'd make for nice after stories or something later down the line, but yeah it's nice seeing they're attracted to each other, you can't escape the laws of causality I guess.

Whoa I'm totally with you on that one, like I also loved YuuxTouka but I'll admit Sayaka was my favorite character in that series, her rendezvous with the teacher and her GF was something I really looked forward to lol she was just the sweetest girl ever I'm soooo glad she got the LNs she deserves the development and the ending she got, you'll love the novels then I'm sure.

Ohh seabed hu, indeed that VN is kind of a downer lol, well it has those angst vibes for sure, "Usagi-moku Shachiku-ka" is an awesome little comedy manga, it's pure laugh out loud moments for real, really recommend it to catch your breath after something like seabed.

Imma have to throw out Kindred Spirits on the Roof full chorus as a rec for a fantastic Yuri VN as well, it's one of my favorite Yuri works I just love all the characters, just a bunch of fun and well developed characters.

No they didn't their relationship does seem like it could go that way but they've done nothing like that till now it was just a bath, Nagafuji sure seems to want it? Though it's also hard to tell with her derpy personality, but Hino seems to want to keep their current relationship but at the same time also may be open to go gay for Nagafuji, that's what I get from them anyways.

Not officially/legally no, but in Tokyo you can get some sort of marriage certificate, meh the important thing is the ceremony itself and that they feel like theyre married I guess and churches will of course always say yes to money nowdays, either way Shima and Adachi don't seem like the type to do that, indeed I meant them living together and all, a full volume of something like that little tease of their future, not just the tip.

No problemo at all that's what the forum is here for I also really like discussing this series, if anything sorry I rant so much.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

But currently i'm reading Seabed and somehow got the feeling that something with zero emotional pressure would be needed afterwords, before i can get to something like this.

Oh boy, that VN is an emotional rollercoaster, I loved it. It also features the protagonists going on a trip to San Francisco just like Adachi and Shimamura in volume 8.

joined Jun 7, 2019

idk if you know guys but Adachi and Shimamura got on the top stop of best couples-ships of AniTrendz

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Look our girls Sancho Pancho and Delos will be here

joined Sep 20, 2020

The new chapter has me ay2ywyauyyesu2uisieje

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Hino's and Nagafuji's chapters were pretty nice, kinda weird they still needed to be fleshed out this late in the series, but better late than never. The story of Hino's family puts her behavior into perspective though I feel a little sad for the maid, it's as if she sees Hino and Nagafuji's potential future as them living out the happiness she couldn't have. I hope the author doesn't leave things between them ambiguous just because they're not the main characters and that we get a few more chapters with them coming to terms with what they want from each other before the end of the series. I'm sure even Nagafuji can figure it out despite how she is.

The Christmas chapter was wonderful. From Adachi making some progress and not just being a complete mess, to Shimamura confronting her personality against her feelings and wish to overcome her apathy for Adachi's sake, to Shimamura's mom trying to perform a Christmas miracle between the Adachis. I just hope it doesn't backfire because it easily could.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Thanks sneikk and team!

Really loved chapter 4. Shimamura was so sweet and cute. So, Adachi doesn't have dad huh. What a sad life she had. Good thing she have Shimamura now.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

^
She did mention her "parents" when thinking back to how awkward things with them already were when she was little, so it seems they must have divorced not too many years before the present.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/adachi_and_shimamura_novel_ch02_8#5

"She'd only started wearing classes in middle school" A little typo here

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Chapter 4 of volume 9 has huge character developments for both Adachi and Shimamura, wow! Maybe this is something I’d see more of if I reread book 6 onwards, but it feels like this is the first time we’ve truly seen Shimamura reciprocating Adachi’s feelings, and the first time we see her express the desire to not let her relationship with Adachi drift apart (like her relationship with Tarumi did). I think that having that talk with Poncho during the school trip really caused Shimamura to be more introspective about her relationship to Adachi.

Adachi too, it’s really cool that she’s starting to have more confidence in both herself and Shimamura. It feels like she’s finally starting to get used to/comfortable with their relationship. And that’s saying a lot from the person who accused Shimamura of cheating since she talked to Hino and Nagafuji too much. I was worried that Adachi would keep having those really unhealthy insecurities around Shimamura but it seems like they’ve both really progressed a lot.

And I don’t know when it happened, but it seems like both moms have some level of understanding that their daughters are dating each other. I have a feeling that they probably figured it out after chatting at the gym... I do wonder how much they’ve actually been talking since they exchanged phone numbers.

This christmas dinner party is going to be a crazy chapter, I’m really looking forward to it!

last edited at Dec 5, 2020 12:31AM

joined Jan 25, 2017

ahem squee

That summarizes my thoughts on the latest chapter.

Kanadechan%20sxdvfgbn
joined May 24, 2017

"My daughters"

....Yes.

joined Jun 7, 2019

there is only one chapter left in this volume and it is the one I want to see the most ahhhg why did I have to catch up with the novel? now curiosity kills me.Anyway, thank you very much to the translator who takes the time and translates so quickly<3

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

shimamura's mom has such a big heart, that last line "my daughters" really got me

Mysterious_person
joined Jun 10, 2013

SHIMAMURA MOM JUST, OH GOD, BEST MOM

To reply you must either login or sign up.