Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

I don't really care that much about Adachi not getting along with her family, there's a certain point of no return to every relationship and not just cuz they're you're parents you're gonna get along with them and have to forgive them and move along into the future with a smile, some people are incapable of that.

Is it sad ? Sure, but well it is what it is Adachi doesn't strike me as the forgiving type either (to anyone but Shima) and she clearly has a lot of resentment towards her family for not trying to understand her, maybe she can stop actively hating her family but she surely is way past trying to go for the family ending.

And I believe there's nothing wrong with that, you can make up that lost relationship with friendship love, romantic love, and a healthy amount of self love, hey everyone's different.

last edited at Oct 26, 2020 11:24AM

joined Jan 25, 2017

Yeah I kinda like that just because Adachi's in a happier place in the flash-forward doesn't necessarily mean she's got literally all her life problems figured out - or that she even feels any need to.

joined Aug 19, 2019

Isn't it interesting how middle school Adashima never met each other, in one of these parallel universe short stories (re: v7)? Curious on what would happen if they met in such a setting, especially after seeing what Shimamura was like at that time.

About Adachi and her family, Adachi has already said that it's too late to mend her relationship with her mother (in v6 iirc). As some of you wrote here, just because it's a flash forward chapter, it doesn't mean Adachi would've solved all of her problems.

What I would like to see is for Adachi to stop blaming herself about her family being this dysfunctional, believing that her mother hates her, and other stuff that is stated in v9 that I won't mention here due to spoilers
Also, I don't think -and correct me if I'm wrong-
Adachi ever said anything that would suggest hating her family

And I have to say, v9 feels lonely without chapter illustrations.
(I won't sleep at night until I know what outfit Shimamura thought of for Adachi for Christmas)

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Oh wow the moms met each other

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

The anime is consistently much better than I expected. What a nice surprise.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Definitely. I haven't read the LN but the anime absolutely outclasses either manga version so far.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

You really owe it to yourself to read the LN when you have time, it's far superior to even the anime.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Definitely. I haven't read the LN but the anime absolutely outclasses either manga version so far.

Different tastes, I guess. I consider the anime the weakest of all the adaptations myself, especially with how it seems to try to make it more silly.

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

The LN imo is def better, we get to hear more about what they are thinking in their POV's and more events that we didnt see in either manga or anime adaptations. I like the anime adaptation too because without it me and many others wouldn't of started reading this

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

The LN imo is def better, we get to hear more about what they are thinking in their POV's and more events that we didnt see in either manga or anime adaptations. I like the anime adaptation too because without it me and many others wouldn't of started reading this

Portraying a person's thoughts in film/TV is pretty challenging. Internal monologue, which is very natural to prose, easily turns into a boring and uncinematic voiceover-fest (cough Hanamonogatari cough) if the screenwriting isn't creative enough.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Dissing a monogatari adaptation ? Tsk tsk tsk you must be tired of living son.

...... I will admit even for all my love of the monogatari series Hana really was the only one where I got a bit bored, they did Kanbaru so dirty after it was finally her time to shine the script just didn't have it's usual shine.

And there wasn't any gay shit in it ..... With Kanbaru as the main lead!!! Sacrilege all around.

last edited at Nov 17, 2020 4:57AM

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

Man, even the interaction between Adamom and Shimom was interesting enough to keep me hooked lol. Even though that part wasn't very long. I'm excited for the rest of Volume 9! It's going to be epic, I'm sure!
And the anime is really not that bad either (made me appreciate Adachi's chaotic moments even more so far lol).

last edited at Nov 9, 2020 6:04PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Why am I already getting excited about catching up when I'm only gonna catch up in 20 days (at the current number of translated chapters)?

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Portraying a person's thoughts in film/TV is pretty challenging. Internal monologue, which is very natural to prose, easily turns into a boring and uncinematic voiceover-fest (cough Hanamonogatari cough) if the screenwriting isn't creative enough.

I've read all three versions here on Dynasty, and I have to agree, I think the LN is the best, hands down. (I'm waiting for the anime season to finish since I know I'm going to want to binge it.) The thing with this series is that it's not an action series. This series is all about the internal monologue, so adapting it to manga/TV is going to be a lot tougher than it would be for other series.

I've heard good things about the anime so I'm looking forward to it. But if you saw the anime first and are coming here now, I definitely recommend the LN.

joined Nov 11, 2020

I'v read all the chapters till now, but I am still confused about one thing..

Is Adachi the taller one or Shimamura the taller one?

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Dissing a monogatari adaptation ? Tsk tsk tsk you must be tired of living son.

...... I will admit even for all my love of the monogatari series Hana really was the only one where I got a bit bored, they did Kaoru so dirty after it was finally her time to shine the script just didn't have it's usual shine.

And there wasn't any gay shit in it ..... With Kaoru as the main lead!!! Sacrilege all around.

That's an interesting take. Hanamonogatari was my favourite story, since they dispensed with the ecchi shit and token meta humor to give us an uncompromising, comprehensive glimpse into Kanbaru's mind. It felt dark and intense and focused and relentless in a way that Araragi's segments (Kizu aside) rarely did. The lack of yuri content is a legitimate argument against it, though I loved Kanbaru and Rouka's dynamic, and I think that Kanbaru's stories have always been about letting go before she charges in to find someone new. Monogatari repeatedly inverts your traditional episodic-arc structure by showing how one simple speech doesn't really cure people's depression or complexes, and many of the later arcs are excellent depictions of relapses or the effects of trying to speedrun trauma recovery. As someone who loves more cerebral, philosophical takes on romance as opposed to just basic horniness or girl-meets-girl stories, Kanbaru coming to terms with the fact that wishes sometimes never come true feels like the perfect reinforcement of her first arc, and if Kanbaru represents a girl who became her own monkey's paw, then Rouka represents someone who never even learned to wish until she ran out of imagination. Seeing them grapple with the ghosts of each other's pasts and futures felt much more interesting than any standard romcom shennanigans ever would, and though the ending was definitely a gut-punch, it felt a lot more natural to Kanbaru's theme of 'moving on' and 'accepting reality' then the appearance of a magical new girlfriend. I feel like yuri fans are desperate for fluff and cute, funny romances, but some of history's greatest love stories have been tragedies. I'm not endorsing the bury your gays trope here, but I do believe that it's unfair to dismiss any lesbian love story as illegitimate or flawed just because it doesn't have kisses or a happy ending, especially if it's trying to deliver a message.

In my experience, Hanamonogatari is a pretty love-it-or-hate-it section of the Monogatari series- the fans that liked the humor, quirky direction and surprise-based plots weren't fans of it, and those that appreciated the philosophical monologues, psychological aspects and emotional storytelling absolutely loved it. You could make equal arguments for it being verbose, pretentious tripe or the most heart-wrenching, intelligent story that the series has to offer, and though I firmly subscribe to the latter segment, I could see why the former has a point.

Sorry for the very long (and probably off-topic) post. I think Monogatari's amazing and was glad for a chance to gush about it, especially since Kanbaru's my favourite character and one of the reasons I got into yuri in the first place.

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

I think in Chapter 3 of Volume 2, it is stated by Shimamura that Adachi is "much taller" than her.

joined Nov 11, 2020

I think in Chapter 3 of Volume 2, it is stated by Shimamura that Adachi is "much taller" than her.

icic

joined Jun 7, 2019

Yashiro's reference of kimetsu no yaiba...xD

and i just found out that nezuko's voice actress is the same as adachi's, so many coincidences

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Sorry for the very long (and probably off-topic) post. I think Monogatari's amazing and was glad for a chance to gush about it, especially since Kanbaru's my favourite character and one of the reasons I got into yuri in the first place.

Also sorry for going off-topic guys, just want to say that I understand where you're coming from and indeed we can all see your love for the series lol, you know the thing about there not being any Yuri in there was kind of a joke but a lot of people really took that shit to heart when that part came out eh ? Leaving aside the people that really wanted it just cuz "I like girls kissing" I think there's a lot of people that were extremely sad knowing that that was Kanbarus last hurrah in a sense and although Hana ends on Kanbaru on a high emotional point and having grown very much thx to everything that happened it's also very sad just leaving her there where it looks like her story is just starting, like when I watched Hana I knew chronologicaly it was like the last part of the series so I was expecting something a little more ... Idk explosive.

But that is where what you said before comes into play, monogatari doesn't just end things on a "the power of friendship mad everyone's worries disappear" but then again I really really felt sad knowing that's the last we'd see of Kanbaru and just when things were getting fucking good for her .... Idk it kinda feels like she's the character that got cucked the most out of all the girls, but I guess she is the most complex character and she had a lot of baggage .... But then again even Nadeko got a pretty good ending and you know just how much she had going on ...

I certainly don't particularly like tragedies or things of the like though and I do think people smell their own farts a bit too much when it comes to "it was all about the message, the undertones, the philosophical meaning behind it all" at times, but I do see their value and well it's also not like I just like seeing cute, fluffy, light stuff, especially not in Yuri but I do like things to at least end well after some suffering you know, I want things to go well at the end, especially if the character has grown thx to the experience.

Welp at least we got to see the kaki stride, idk why that stayed with me, so unexpected and so beautiful.

Really though? Kanbaru is one of the reasons you got into Yuri ? lol that's unexpected, it's a relatively minor thing in there, and that's something I really liked about it there was never a big show out of her being a lesbian/bi? She just happens to be.

Can't believe auto correct changed Kanbaru into Kaoru and I didn't notice, wtf is up with this thing.

last edited at Nov 17, 2020 5:22AM

joined Sep 19, 2020

This is the best love story i ever read/watched/witnessed/experienced! Hands down.

Its just... The characters and events appears so real, so down to earth, so mundane (was that the right words?) and yet so lovable and close to heart(again, was that the right words?)

I love the attention to every small detail. I love how its starts playing with perspective for us to know how both Adachi and Shimamura see the events and world around them and ends up in a way that we don't need to peer into it any more to know what other girl feels. I love how complicated their chemistry is, how both, bright and dark sides of their personalities affect the story.

Seriously, if to compare it with to say Yagakimi(which i like too), the later seems so idealistic...

My only complaint is "come on, 8 volumes, they confessed in 6 and there are still no kisses?". Something even more physical would be appreciated.

In the end it makes +1 author whose wellbeing i'm concerned about. Long live Iruma Hitoma.

Though afterwords in the end of vol 8 scares me. Part that "it will still go on for a little while". Never -endings are bad, but its that kind of story i wish would go on and on.

Oh, and there is 1 trope that would fit perfectly into the story. I'm surprised it was never used, basically i wished we had at least 1 scene on the second floor of the gym in the future.

last edited at Nov 17, 2020 10:42PM

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

Just came about to read this chapter and it's nice to read about young rebellious Shima.
I just love how faithful the anime is to the novel (a bit too fan servicey tho). The whole art and music have been so consistent. I live it so much XD

Though with the pacing, it seems they might end after attending the second year not just at the end of volume 3 huh?

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Yeah, it will definitely adapt at least part of volume 4. I can't see a decent end point for it around there though, I fear we're in for a repeat of the Bloom Into You anime's non-ending.

joined Jan 25, 2017

How many eps are we getting, anyway? 12? 13?

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

To reply you must either login or sign up.