Forum › An Easy Introduction to Love Triangles (To Pass the Exam!) discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

Seems to me Akira's pretty much someone who hasn't really known failure - she's so ridiculously overspecced that so far she's probably been able to achieve essentially anything she's set her sights on with enough effort. Not surprising that this has gone to her head a bit, really.

Then she abruptly slammed headfirst into something where all her awesomeness is completely irrelevant. Now she's trying to get her bearings way off the map, having to come to terms with the limits of her till now unassailable competence with due ramifications to her self-image while coping with unfamiliar and intense new passions.
Growing up is hard to do.

To her credit she promptly recognised her jealousy for what it is and did her best to suppress it, and her initial knee-jerk ire towards Mayuki at the time of the revelation (which no doubt involved a vague, obviously irrational feeling of betrayal) has already simmered down to mere pouty "okay fair enough the kid tries her hardest but I'm still better, hmph."
She may be as volatile as any somewhat self-absorbed teenager grappling with all the messy business of youth, but she's also a basically good person who can't hold unreasonable grudges.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

FINALLY.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Skywallker posted:

So... They got filled with love?

This is my headcanon.

runrin posted:

Sabruness posted:

i know i shouldnt double post but multi-quoting is really finicky orz

lol, quoting doesn't even really exist like on a normal forum. it's just using markdown > for quote. you can just copy and paste and put a > at the start. :P

some people bother to manually link the post they quote, like this:

[**username** posted:](https://dynasty-scans.com/link/to/quoted/post/)
> I'm way too lazy to do that every time tho...

maybe one day i will bug the relevant people and we can figure out a way to automate that.

There's a user script for this that's available in this stickied thread.

random posted:

Seems to me Akira's pretty much someone who hasn't really known failure - she's so ridiculously overspecced that so far she's probably been able to achieve essentially anything she's set her sights on with enough effort. Not surprising that this has gone to her head a bit, really.

Then she abruptly slammed headfirst into something where all her awesomeness is completely irrelevant. Now she's trying to get her bearings way off the map, having to come to terms with the limits of her till now unassailable competence with due ramifications to her self-image while coping with unfamiliar and intense new passions.
Growing up is hard to do.

To her credit she promptly recognised her jealousy for what it is and did her best to suppress it, and her initial knee-jerk ire towards Mayuki at the time of the revelation (which no doubt involved a vague, obviously irrational feeling of betrayal) has already simmered down to mere pouty "okay fair enough the kid tries her hardest but I'm still better, hmph."
She may be as volatile as any somewhat self-absorbed teenager grappling with all the messy business of youth, but she's also a basically good person who can't hold unreasonable grudges.

Took long enough for someone besides me to realize this... and articulate it arguably better than I could.

joined Aug 21, 2020

Got a bit irritated on the Akira hate, so thanks to both Linterdiction and random for their comments. Spot on imho. For me Akira is the most interesting character as she is the most obviously not perfect, and its not like any of you haven't ever thought something negative about a rival or person that you later felt shitty about for even thinking it. Its very easy to hate someone if you are judging their inner most thoughts and basic feelings. Why thought-crime is not a thing.

Note that Akira invited Mayuki to something that Akira otherwise could consider a date and she didn't try to manipulate or humiliate Mayuki in front of Rin, but rather observe and try and figure out what she herself is doing wrong. Instead she is trying to improve herself which I think is admirable. She also instinctively tried to show Mayuki affection, but head-pat can also be seen as a sign of dominance and she stopped herself for some reason. Akira is still the kind and considerate senpai Mayuki fell in love with, its just... well, mentioned better from the comments above. I wonder if Rin actually went home though... Each chapter makes me really anticipate the next one.

If i'm not mistaken all 3 of them each has a major character flaw that they will deal with to overcome and grow. For Rin it's too much self-sacrifice, for Mayuki it's self-deprecating and for Akira it's arrogance. The first two has the luxury of being able to be seen as endearing ... but they are still detrimental negative traits.

last edited at Sep 18, 2020 10:38AM

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Uhm, I… can’t write comments as deep and detailed as those above, but I’m glad this kind of discussion is happening. X)

Now I’m seeing two possible developments for chapter 8:
1 − Akira suddenly becomes terrified and runs away, which Mayuki takes as a rejection of her feelings (and then goes to seek reassurance in Rin’s arms?)
2 − Akira apologizes to Mayuki for looking down on her and confesses that she has never kissed and is in love with Rin

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Took long enough for someone besides me to realize this... and articulate it arguably better than I could.

Oh, when it comes to realize it I'm more or less certain that a lot of us had managed it already... it's the articulate it part where random has truly shined.

Btw, I don't know about y'all, but I find it quite amusing that Akira is the first one in the trio to understand all the sides of the love triangle they're in. Right now, she knows she loves Rin (duh), she knows Rin loves Mayuki, and she has just found that Mayuki loves her. Rin hasn't noticed that Akira loves her, and while she knows Mayuki has someone she loves she has no idea who that person is. And Mayuki, who has just confessed to Akira, doesn't know Akira loves Rin, and has absolutely no clue Rin secretly loves her.

... that last bit makes one wonder if Mayuki isn't a little bit daft, lol.

Kokoko
joined Mar 14, 2014

Tasked failed successfully. This I like.

joined Jul 26, 2016

... that last bit makes one wonder if Mayuki isn't a little bit daft, lol.

In all fairness Rin is the only one in the bunch with any relationship experience... plus poor Mayuki's got some self-esteem issues to work through before she can grok the idea of someone falling for her. :/

joined Jul 8, 2020

Got a bit irritated on the Akira hate, so thanks to both Linterdiction and random for their comments. Spot on imho. For me Akira is the most interesting character as she is the most obviously not perfect, and its not like any of you haven't ever thought something negative about a rival or person that you later felt shitty about for even thinking it. Its very easy to hate someone if you are judging their inner most thoughts and basic feelings. Why thought-crime is not a thing.

Note that Akira invited Mayuki to something that Akira otherwise could consider a date and she didn't try to manipulate or humiliate Mayuki in front of Rin, but rather observe and try and figure out what she herself is doing wrong. Instead she is trying to improve herself which I think is admirable. She also instinctively tried to show Mayuki affection, but head-pat can also be seen as a sign of dominance and she stopped herself for some reason. Akira is still the kind and considerate senpai Mayuki fell in love with, its just... well, mentioned better from the comments above. I wonder if Rin actually went home though... Each chapter makes me really anticipate the next one.

If i'm not mistaken all 3 of them each has a major character flaw that they will deal with to overcome and grow. For Rin it's too much self-sacrifice, for Mayuki it's self-deprecating and for Akira it's arrogance. The first two has the luxury of being able to be seen as endearing ... but they are still detrimental negative traits.

Couldn't agree more. My favorite would be Akira. And I know it's poly but my ultimate ship would be Akira and Rin. Akira is so damn cool. I mean, I guess like people said, her settings are that perfect kid who never failed so she naturally become arrogant and egoistic on all aspect. Kinda get disappointed at her when she look down on Mayuki. But the moment she realized how Mayuki saved Rin and how she could be the one and she realizing her mistakes on brushing off Rin's feeling and putting her own feeling first. AKIRA YOU'RE COOL. and would be cooler with great development if you start thinking on how others feels too.

and I guess she stopped the head pat as a sign of respect to Mayuki. Like, she didn't think Mayuki as someone below her anymore, or some weak kid that she need to protect. AKIRA YOU'RE COOL.

and I just love how much Akira love Rin. How Rin is not her ideal at all (bad at basketball) but she still fall in love with her after all. AKIRA YOU'RE COOL.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

MarqFJA87 posted:
There's a user script for this that's available in this stickied thread.

whoa! so there is... who knew! that makes a lot more sense than people manually doing it each time. >.<

last edited at Sep 18, 2020 3:33PM

joined Jul 23, 2019

This manga is so good.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Btw, I don't know about y'all, but I find it quite amusing that Akira is the first one in the trio to understand all the sides of the love triangle they're in. Right now, she knows she loves Rin (duh), she knows Rin loves Mayuki, and she has just found that Mayuki loves her. Rin hasn't noticed that Akira loves her, and while she knows Mayuki has someone she loves she has no idea who that person is. And Mayuki, who has just confessed to Akira, doesn't know Akira loves Rin, and has absolutely no clue Rin secretly loves her.

Huh. So the ball is in Akira's court now? She will choose what to reveal and who to reveal it to? She gets to decide where this triangle is going?

I'm so eager for next chapter now. The tangle is about to get knotty. (≧∇≦)

joined Jul 26, 2016

Uhm, I… can’t write comments as deep and detailed as those above, but I’m glad this kind of discussion is happening. X)

Now I’m seeing two possible developments for chapter 8:
1 − Akira suddenly becomes terrified and runs away, which Mayuki takes as a rejection of her feelings (and then goes to seek reassurance in Rin’s arms?)
2 − Akira apologizes to Mayuki for looking down on her and confesses that she has never kissed and is in love with Rin

3) − Akira gathers her wits enough to feed Mayuki some lame face-saving bullshit (probably getting believed at least for the time being, as Mayu kinda sucks at guile and still thinks she's the perfect superwoman) and excuses herself at first opportunity to go home and try to digest everything she's rather abruptly learned about... all three of them, really.

joined Aug 29, 2016

Also people are talking a lot about how the kisses in this story are really intense despite not involving anything explicitly sexual, etc.—if I had time I’d go close-read the passages and make a comment from that, but I don’t, so suffice it to say it’s because 1) each scene is really strongly grounded in an emotional context both through the background we have about the characters and immediate setup right before it, 2) the artist really understands the physical acts of making out, how it feels, how it happens, and what it looks like, and can accurately depict this and 3) they have a really solid understanding of desire, and especially different versions of giving desire (Rin’s “I can’t help my self, I need to spoil you” attitude during thr adult kissing scene, Mayuki putting everything into doing her best to please Akira) which is itself naturally compelling and emotionally resonant.
All this is to say that Canno creates scenarios that are emotionally charged and grounded, and depicts them in a very expressive, verisimilitudinous way. I think this story is uncommonly good, and I usually hold off judgements until I’ve read to the end but this is shaping up to be one of the best yuri manga out there, period.

I don’t know if the original artist ever gets to read comment (say like this) because there are way too many manga streaming platforms, but I feel like you’ve really had experience with psychoanalyzing, and I also agree that an artist can’t produce work solely from creativity and imagination. I think Canno puts a lot of reality and processing into the characters she makes. While I may be asexual and aromantic, I think it’s really easy for me to relate to and imagine Canno’s characters. Like Kiss and White Lily, there were sooooo many dynamics there. That takes a lot to know how certain people can feel.

joined Aug 29, 2016

Not to think ahead, because who knows this could be a 40 chapter-long manga. . .
But because anything can be toxic if there’s too much of it (i.e. too much water and you’ll drown) and considering they’re all in high school and relatively young to some of these emotions, I wonder how their relegations will go. If they’ll read realize their own flaws, how the FOILS aid with that and how it strengthens/weakens their bonds. I can see Rin hiding things (lie of omission) but clearly she can open up to Akira and Mayuki. If Rin was the on with all the knowledge, hmmm..... ignoring her flaw I would think Rin would try to figure it out on her own. Akira on the other hand, I definitely see this as an opportunity for her arrogance to take control. You’d think that in a love triangle SOMEBODY gotta be honest and just make everyone aware.... but teenagers aren’t now like us adults lol

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Glad to see some reasonable discussion regarding Akira. There's a lot of hate for her going around, and while yes, she has been something of an arrogant bitch, it seems to me that the biggest source of that hate is the "I WANT MAYUKI TO END UP WITH RIN, NOT AKIRA!!!!" faction. I can't help but feel that those people are missing the entire point of this series.

last edited at Sep 19, 2020 9:27AM

joined Sep 13, 2020

THIS IS TOO GOOD WTF

Kikaluna Uploader
Ef2_zi-u4ae1h8g
Noca Scans
joined Nov 20, 2017

Canno did the cover illustration for the latest issue of Dengeki Daioh. They also released a wallpaper-sized version of it that you can download for free on their website. In the event that they were to get removed from it, links for the PC version and for the mobile version.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Rin looks thirsty af on that poster…

Shizuru%20and%20natsuki
joined Jun 18, 2020

Admittedly, I was not sure I was going to like this manga. I enjoy Canno's work very much, but I am a monogamous person who struggles greatly with a deep-seated fear of abandonment that often manifests itself as possessiveness and jealousy when I have a partner. That being said, I actually love this series thus far. Rin is best girl in my mind, which is unexpected, since she seems to be the most openly and conscientiously poly of the three main characters. But Rin's character has actually gone a long way to helping me better understand the poly mindset and how people who genuinely love more than one person might have difficulties in their own right, especially since society as a whole does not necessarily encourage multiple partners. Most people often view it as cheating or wanting to "have your cake and eat it too", but in Rin's situation that did not seem to be the case; she comments that one friend was always pulling her along, while the other looked up to her. Rin got something unique from either relationship, which is why she couldn't pick between them, and that makes sense to me because we don't necessarily love the people we love for all the same reasons. After all, relationships are give and take, and what we take from one we may not receive in another. Personally, I am the sort who would prefer one person to fulfill my emotional needs, but I get why that may not be possible for others.

That being said, all the characters are doing each-other a bit of a disservice at this point. As much as I love Rin (especially when she's all hot and bothered, anyone else love a sexually aggressive Rin? Because I'm all for it), she has lied several times now. First, Rin fibbed about being "experienced" just so she would still have an excuse to "educate" Mayuki. Then Rin lied to Akira about the true nature of her relationship with Mayuki until she was finally caught. And finally, Rin lies to herself. She says she is completely fine just allowing Mayuki her happiness, even if that happiness no longer involves a physical relationship with Rin. But clearly, that is not entirely true, and Rin's denial of that is only going to cause issues down the line. Akira won't confess to Rin, and instead uses her "concern" for Rin's well-being as an excuse to try and manipulate her away from Mayuki. I completely get Akira's uglier side, because I have had similar thoughts myself; I just hope that her realization about the role Mayuki has played in Rin's life will help her be both a better friend and a better potential partner to Rin. But Mayuki is probably causing me the most grief. Why? Because Mayuki is one of those characters that cannot see beyond her own emotions, and because of her obsession with Akira, she is oblivious to the fact that Rin is crazy about her. Yes, she sees Rin's lingering pain and even remarks that it was wrong of her--given Rin's past anguish--to ask for "special lessons". However, she completely misses the mark when it comes to just how much she is hurting Rin or just how much Rin might actually mean to Mayuki (I honestly think Mayuki is developing genuine feelings for Rin, but she is just too dense to realize the extent of them yet).

Over all, I am very interested to see how the story progresses. I would like to see a realistic portrayal of the struggles that can arise when people who are not initially poly, like Akira, are dealt an unexpected hand. But ultimately, as corny as it may sound, I just want all my ladies to end up happy together.

last edited at Sep 19, 2020 5:47PM

joined Apr 25, 2013

After reading this manga i learn something that I will never ask random chick to teach me how to kiss

868e64eacaeed480084b005ae21b7c4c
joined Jul 19, 2018

It is rare to finding such a telling manga of poly, with bold and fragrant expressions that draw you in. I don't know what has intrigued me more, the dialogue, the glamorous stencils and beautiful line-art, maybe the relaxed pacing with dramatic undertones that - for once - does not overpower the plot; possibly all of the above. The characters are likable and clever without too much sly behavior to further drama... Not to mention the cute tidbits into their personalities when they're alone. Nothing feels forced or played out yet, as if this could happen in real life. Definitely one of my favorites this year!!

joined Jul 19, 2018

Practice kissing, huh... it's a trope you don't find often... last time I saw it, it was in YuruYuri when Chinatsu asked Akari to be her practice partner (and refused to take "no" for an answer, lol).

It's way more common in Western stories than in Asian stories. And it's not a recent thing. I remember Casanova wrote in his Memoirs (an 18th-century book) that young unmarried girls would often practice kissing on each other as an introduction to heterosexual romance (taking turns to roleplay the "boy"). In fact, if he's to be believed, they would go even further than kissing, lol. But manga stories where two girls decide to practice kissing as a training game, just to be ready for their future (serious) romances, are exceedingly rare. I wonder why? Must be a question of ingrained cultural traits.

As someone who lives in the "west" (not that anyone here calls it that.) I can say definitively, as one who has read multiple forms of written lesbian works, (books, manga, fanfictions, etc.) I have only seen this trope in Japanese and sometimes Korean works... Let alone real life. If a girl asked another girl to kiss here, there would be nothing platonic about it, and she would think she's hitting on her... the kissing logic wouldn't work, even if you passed it off as a joke.

joined Jul 19, 2018

It is rare to finding such a telling manga of poly, with bold and fragrant expressions that draw you in. I don't know what has intrigued me more, the dialogue, the glamorous stencils and beautiful line-art, maybe the relaxed pacing with dramatic undertones that - for once - does not overpower the plot; possibly all of the above. The characters are likable and clever without too much sly behavior to further drama... Not to mention the cute tidbits into their personalities when they're alone. Nothing feels forced or played out yet, as if this could happen in real life. Definitely one of my favorites this year!!

This is my take in the later chapters now, but Akira can be a massive prick...

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

…Did you just answer to yourself? XD

To reply you must either login or sign up.