Forum › Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl discussion

joined Oct 27, 2018

So like I don’t get the problem with single target sexuality? I know to each their own and all but like a few people seem to be against it and I just want to know why? I’m curious.

I dislike it for a few reasons, the biggest one for me is that in yuri and yaoi in particular, it is often used as a way to sort of distance the work from the LGBT community, it almost feels like the author is slapping a big NO HOMO sticker on the work "they're not gay, they just love each other". I dislike it for other reasons as well, for example, it gives sort of soul mate vibes, which is not something I'm a fan of in romantic works. It's also used as a hand wave, which is what this work mostly used it for, where it is sort of used as a way to avoid any difficult discussions about the deception.

Of course if the line about single target sexuality is bad if we look at it alone, but I think commenter blow this out of proportional by disregarding the context as well as the characterization of the main character. In fact I think 80% convo happened in this thread is about cherry-pick action/words, cut it off from the context and comment of how bad it is. It is just show how people sometimes lack of reading comprehension at a time.

What the fudge are you even talking about?

63515893-13a8-47bc-ac30-925c9c72c86e
joined Mar 1, 2018

Lol. At least she had the courage to say "Let me have your girlfriend" unlike me every now and then.

never wheat shredded eat
joined Aug 21, 2019

amazing

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

c0s1m4 posted:

now i'd like to see secchan to find her own gf

She'd have to ditch her bf (assuming she's monogamous), though.

Bugpope posted:

Wow, that girl went from shitty homophobia to bicurous in like three seconds

... WTF are you on about? Just because she's shocked that her best friend's relationship turned out to be homosexual in nature and expressed disbelief at said friend being so nonchalant about the matter despite admitting that she hadn't known about her partner's true sex until the other day doesn't mean that she's being homophobic.

last edited at Aug 11, 2020 7:58PM

joined Sep 6, 2018

A fine completion of a cute manga. Sales will be good with this one. Looking forward to it’s licensing.

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

"Single target sexuality" Aka pansexual? Rofl cmon now, we are calling being pansexual an overdone trope now?
Well I personally feel like there are too many strictly homosexual MC's in recent manga, kind of tiring ; )

Heart-Of-The-Earth
Nanofate%20feelz
joined Nov 6, 2013

"Single target sexuality" Aka pansexual? Rofl cmon now, we are calling being pansexual an overdone trope now?
Well I personally feel like there are too many strictly homosexual MC's in recent manga, kind of tiring ; )

I think you're getting pansexual mixed up with demisexual.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Normally I'd gleefully jump right into all those discussions, but for now...

~happy noises~

last edited at Aug 11, 2020 8:59PM

Profile%20picture
joined Jan 23, 2020

This is so cutee xD

Profile%20picture
joined Jan 23, 2020

Could someone educate me on the issue of single target sexuality (or, often "it's okay if it's you")? ["essay" coming up]

I kind of see why it would leave a bad taste. It's like saying, "oh, I'm only gay for you, so I'm actually straight, no homo." Kind of just dodging LGBTQ+ representation to avoid discrimination or something. (I personally don't feel like it is the case here because it isn't highly emphasized)

But also, in general... Can people be unlabeled? Is there such thing as being "mostly straight"? Does attraction to one individual who does not fit into one's sexuality require a label as pansexual, omnisexual, etc.?

Thank you guys! Apologiesss... I want to do my best as an ally :'D

last edited at Aug 11, 2020 9:22PM

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

It's one of those things where the problem isn't in a person feeling that way, or in a specific work having a character be that way, it's the pattern of it appearing relatively often in queer fiction

for example, there are irl gay people who are bad. And a gay villain isn't an inherently bad character. But the fact that there are many gay-coded villains is bad.

last edited at Aug 11, 2020 9:51PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Could someone educate me on the issue of single target sexuality (or, often "it's okay if it's you")? ["essay" coming up]

I kind of see why it would leave a bad taste. It's like saying, "oh, I'm only gay for you, so I'm actually straight, no homo." Kind of just dodging LGBTQ+ representation to avoid discrimination or something. (I personally don't feel like it is the case here because it isn't highly emphasized)

But also, in general... Can people be unlabeled? Is there such thing as being "mostly straight"? Does attraction to one individual who does not fit into one's sexuality require a label as pansexual, omnisexual, etc.?

Definitions can be helpful when people apply them to themselves—when they learn that there’s a category that corresponds to their own sexual/romantic experience, and they can say, “I’m not weird, there are a lot of other people out there who are [___]sexual/romantic.”

When people try to apply them to others, or to fictional characters, labels tend to be restrictive rather than enlightening—either readers want characters that reflect their own sexuality back to them, or they assume the author is representing [___]sexuality and then critique how it’s being done (even if there’s no evidence that’s what the author is doing at all).

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

They may be talking about single-target now, but things are moving fast & they're still trying to get used to it. Neither of them knew they could be attracted to the same sex before they got to know each other. I'm sure someday Ookuma will realize that she has never been attracted to a man & admit she's gay. Having her love returned might let Kanda accept her own bisexuality.

Kanda seems to affect women the same way Yurika does.

You cant hear image they say
Download%20(1)
joined Aug 2, 2020

kanda-kun the womanizer at first glance

Rsz_wa
joined Sep 5, 2019

Why y'all having heated discussions about serious topics on a comedy yuri manga lmao

Nozomi
joined May 11, 2017

The last couple chapters have been everything I've ever wanted and more from this kind of Yuri manga

:Chefkiss:

Nozomi
joined May 11, 2017

The last couple chapters have been everything I've ever wanted and more from this kind of Yuri manga

joined Jun 7, 2019

"i want to smell a handsome guy too!" Hahahahah me too

joined Jun 7, 2019

They sure figured out pretty fast how lesbian sex works

It's not like straight sex is often that good on the first time either. It can be quite awkward and un-enjoyable, even with someone you really like, because.. You both suck and not in a good way. :)

It is just another silly anomaly of romantic storytelling. Couple may have all sorts of other troubles they have to fight through, but everyone is a pro in the sack, even if they haven't ever even thought about it before.

yeah and if they are unexperienced it sucks when they don't even know how to touch you,i met a guy who doesn't even know what a clitoris was
as a bisexual,i can say that sex with girls it's a little easier and more enjoyable than with boys(it depends on the boy too)
"and as their bodies are similar" in some way you understand where to touch and where not (I guess)

last edited at Aug 12, 2020 12:33AM

Alcoholism
joined Apr 15, 2017

Kanda-sexual is my new favorite word

Agreed

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

So, is that it? Is this the end?

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

agreement intensifies this has become a favorite for sure

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

Kanda-sexual is my new favorite word

Agreed

+1

joined May 24, 2015

"Why are there over 1000 forum posts about a comedy manga? skips back a page to see a triple quote along with a paragraph of extra text ah, that'd do it."
I'm personally 100% pleased with these last few chapters. The pointless angst and drama at the start bc of the "hidden gender" has karmically been rebalanced by all the fluff and jokes we're getting now.
A+ definitely getting this series if it ever gets NA publishing

8ldsxx8gdfh7s211
joined Jan 11, 2019

yalls writing WHOLE ESSAYS here, im just here enjoying the cute yuri man...

One can do both.

To reply you must either login or sign up.