Forum › So, Do You Want To Go Out, Or? discussion

70c3f8ab-421d-4a3a-a7dd-10f3027d0f65
joined Mar 2, 2020

What's the TL team got to do with it? (somewhat genuine question, I can't read Japanese)
The entire chapter was about giving insight to Tsuruta's behaviour, why he couldn't help himself and ended up behaving creepy. Being creepy wasn't the core of his character, but a consequence of it: He's new to romance, a bumbling fool whose brain was being scrambled by a silly and childish, if persistent, crush. Now, it seems, he's finally been made painfully aware of just how ridiculous he's being, which is why he'll apparently do some damage control now.
He's not a "good guy". He's a "guy", warts and all.

I also think we've been reading very different threads because I don't see a general consensus that Tsuruta'd be a good match for anyone. Quite the opposite.

I don’t know Japanese either, but at the end of the chapter the team said they struggled with making him less creepy so I wanted to know more about that. I know he’s not that creepy, and I’m glad he’s having some development because he was kinda annoying.

joined Dec 5, 2019

Tsuruta has no idea what struggle is! Try crushing on straight girl after straight girl and knowing nothing will come out of it but you can't help it and then bring your woes to the highlight my friend.

But jokes aside, nice chapter but I miss Miwa/Saeko character development we were having.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Tsuruta has no idea what struggle is! Try crushing on straight girl after straight girl and knowing nothing will come out of it but you can't help it and then bring your woes to the highlight my friend.

But jokes aside, nice chapter but I miss Miwa/Saeko character development we were having.

What development lol they just kept refusing to talk to eachother for 5 chapters

joined Dec 5, 2019

What development lol they just kept refusing to talk to eachother for 5 chapters

Oh, but they realized a lot of stuff, even of they didn't say it to each other, which is actually quite common.

Not saying they are developing their relationship but they sure as hell are developing as characters

Renface2
joined Sep 18, 2019

Why did the tl team had to make Tsuruta less creepy? Isn’t that part of his character? It just seems that they decided to make him likeable so I don’t understand :(

Please don't misunderstand -- it wasn't that he was super creepy in the original Japanese and we made him not creepy. It was just challenging to translate what he was saying in a way that didn't sound a little creepy in english. We've done our best to keep the tone intact.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

It's a busy life for a man of culture.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Why did the tl team had to make Tsuruta less creepy? Isn’t that part of his character? It just seems that they decided to make him likeable so I don’t understand :(

Please don't misunderstand -- it wasn't that he was super creepy in the original Japanese and we made him not creepy. It was just challenging to translate what he was saying in a way that didn't sound a little creepy in english. We've done our best to keep the tone intact.

I liked the note, and I think I took the meaning--that Tsuruta is a dork and is being a bit of a jerk, but not a malicious or threatening one. Connotations in different languages can be very, very tricky, and I'm grateful both for the translation itself and for the insight into the process.

70c3f8ab-421d-4a3a-a7dd-10f3027d0f65
joined Mar 2, 2020

Thank you so much for your hard work, I was just curious about that and I appreciate your explanation ^^

Jpeg_20190102_170347
joined Jun 3, 2020

Tsuruta is just like 16 yo me in love with my straight friend and I feel his pain lmao

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

At least it looks like he finally gave up.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Zormau posted:

What's the TL team got to do with it? (somewhat genuine question, I can't read Japanese)

... I'm really getting tired of seeing people ask questions that clearly indicate they simply stopped at the last actual comic page and didn't bother to look at the subsequent credits page. Just because most such pages only list the names of the individuals involved in the translation doesn't mean that all of them are so limited, and even those groups that usually do so do occasionally add important info in one of those pages for one reason or the other.

Animepfp
joined Jul 22, 2020

Glad to see Tsuruta has sort of given up on Miwa. Now I sort of want to see him end up with Rika just based off the one panel where she feels lonely

joined Jan 13, 2019

shout out to poggers guy

joined May 1, 2013

poggers

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Zormau posted:

... I'm really getting tired of seeing people ask questions that clearly indicate they simply stopped at the last actual comic page and didn't bother to look at the subsequent credits page. Just because most such pages only list the names of the individuals involved in the translation doesn't mean that all of them are so limited, and even those groups that usually do so do occasionally add important info in one of those pages for one reason or the other.

...What? I'm confused as to why you're assuming they skipped the credits. They were asking why the other person was saying the translators were somehow responsible for making Tsuruta look better than he actually was (somehow). I'm interested in what they meant as well. Since I also can't read japanese, I wouldn't know what the original script made him out to be. Was he "insanely creepy" in the raws? Or did he just come across as kinda lame and immature like he did in the scanlation?

joined Aug 29, 2019

Zormau posted:

...What? I'm confused as to why you're assuming they skipped the credits. They were asking why the other person was saying the translators were somehow responsible for making Tsuruta look better than he actually was (somehow). I'm interested in what they meant as well. Since I also can't read japanese, I wouldn't know what the original script made him out to be. Was he "insanely creepy" in the raws? Or did he just come across as kinda lame and immature like he did in the scanlation?

No no, they were kinda right in this case - I had not read the post-chapter commentary and was honestly confused what the background was. Maybe I should pay a little more attention to the TL commentary on the credits pages.

last edited at Jul 23, 2020 4:14PM

Tumblr_e91edc003cdbb03c1b8d45c82a98870c_92f81880_640
joined Jun 29, 2014

I really hope she doesn't start dating Tsuruta out of like pity or something and put him in a one side relationship

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Amusing how people keep talking about Tsuruta. Me, I was looking at Rika all chapter long.

As far as I'm concerned, this chapter is all Rika, Rika, Rika. Every stance, every gesture, every word she says, every cute face she makes. When she said "I wanna feel what it's like to be loved that hard, just once..." I was so moved I wanted to jump into the manga just to hug and comfort her. Sniff, Rikaaa, my sweet baby, please don't be sad!

Tsuruta? Who's Tsuruta?

joined Jun 7, 2019

I really hope she doesn't start dating Tsuruta out of like pity or something and put him in a one side relationship

she is lesbian,that definitely won't happen haha

joined Jun 7, 2019

well, very well tsuruta retiring as a decent person. Almost always the boys in these situations are like: "maybe because you didn't try a man and you don't know", "why don't you try me?"
so I think it's pretty good that he's respectful of it

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

I feel you Tsuruta
I know what you feel when you love someone you can't have

Yeah, I honestly have to say, I know the feeling waaaay too well. And it seems like he's going to do the right thing.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

As far as I'm concerned, this chapter is all Rika, Rika, Rika. Every stance, every gesture, every word she says, every cute face she makes. When she said "I wanna feel what it's like to be loved that hard, just once..." I was so moved I wanted to jump into the manga just to hug and comfort her. Sniff, Rikaaa, my sweet baby, please don't be sad!

Tsuruta? Who's Tsuruta?

Lol, I'm sure we're going to see more development of her soon, maybe in a few more chapters or another arc. How forlorn she looks and her wish to be loved, as well as paying enough attention to Tsuruta to catalyze this character development, already show a deeper side to her besides teasing genki girl.

Happy with how Tsuruta was handled. This was the only real resolution possible if he was going to be a decent human being. Also, as I thought, Tsuruta really had no reason to be in love with Miwa, just crush on first sight type of thing. He did also idolize her which isn't going to change immediately. That'll take some time to wear off even if he's going to support her as a friend now.

I would just like to comment on how adorable that Inoken guy is near the end. The way he goes on about learning to love somebody as a friend with complete sincerity, despite having been rejected multiple times, is commendable. It shows a lot of respect for the people he confessed to.

Last random thought, it's cathartic seeing a guy be the "in love with somebody unobtainable" character for once, in a yuri manga no less. "I wonder if I were a girl, if I'd have a chance with her..." You don't even know man just how many times the female yuri protagonist is the one thinking along those lines. Now somebody else can finally experience that pain! This also confirms the narrative is unwavering on Miwa identifying as lesbian versus "if it's you, it's okay" sexuality or "reluctantly fall in line with heterosexual societal expectations" sexuality, which is a victory in it of itself for modern yuri.

last edited at Jul 23, 2020 8:30PM

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

This chapter was interesting. I like that he was looking for a solution but never even considered trying to get in between them or doing anything that might hurt her. He knew how he felt, but cared more about her happiness and not hurting her than trying to act on it. He seems like a genuinely good guy who’s just sad his love won’t be able to work out.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I kinda know what it's like falling in love with a girl you know is lesbian :/
In my case there was also the fact she stopped talking with me before I even noticed it :(

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

I really like the development of the side characters in this series, and their backstory. That way their motives n' feelings feels realistic, and you can even identify with them (well, that's the sad part).
However, I didn't get to feel with Tsuruta (yet) the level of realism that I felt with End (I can't remember the Japanese name).

To reply you must either login or sign up.