Forum › So, Do You Want To Go Out, Or? discussion

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

Ugh Japanese McDonald's is the best and it looked so good even drawn.. Oh, the story? Yeah, it's interesting!

joined Jun 12, 2019

they’re horrible at communicating

m_nguyen_chau
120x120px-ls-38203a65_avatar65018_8
joined Oct 27, 2011

I feel like Saeko's sexual attraction to Miwa is still her main reason for liking her.

Saeko is crazy in love with Miwa.

That much should be obvious to everyone at this point of things.

I think it's 95% about sexual attraction.
You can't love someone by hiding every side of your hurtful part, and also, never really tolerate the weak part of your partner.
I think Sae likes Miwa a WHOLE lot, but it's not love (yet?).

last edited at Jul 4, 2020 3:06AM

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

I feel like Saeko's sexual attraction to Miwa is still her main reason for liking her.

Saeko is crazy in love with Miwa.

That much should be obvious to everyone at this point of things.

You can't love someone by hiding every side of your hurtful part, and also, never really tolerate the weak part of your partner.

It's very hard to talk about trauma and whatever happened to Sae must have been pretty seriously traumatic of she loses her appetite just by getting a little brush with it. No pictures at all of the school prince? That's hard to believe.

My guess is she got caught or outed to her dad and things got bad. It doesn't seem to have been a scandal at the school since the other students were so flippant, but something definitely happened.

m_nguyen_chau
120x120px-ls-38203a65_avatar65018_8
joined Oct 27, 2011

It's very hard to talk about trauma and whatever happened to Sae must have been pretty seriously traumatic of she loses her appetite just by getting a little brush with it. No pictures at all of the school prince? That's hard to believe.

My guess is she got caught or outed to her dad and things got bad. It doesn't seem to have been a scandal at the school since the other students were so flippant, but something definitely happened.

Trauma is a cruel thing that can distort the victim emotion. I mean as for my own experience, I can only found and understand how to love by healing myself with times. Even now somes trauma memory can even reverse what i thought is love to something else.
When you feel hurtful, the only thing you can focus on, is how painful it is. That what pains do. I feel so related to Sae, i was a prince, and i do cut off all of my picture that time, this is so eerie. It's like that past never happened, but well deep inside, it come haunting you, because you seal the pain deep inside and let nobody correct your distorted traumatized memory.

last edited at Jul 4, 2020 4:49AM

joined Apr 4, 2019

So far it seems the only positive aspect of their relationship is the sex. Every time they are together otherwise it devolves into lots of doubts and lying to each other. It seems more and more likely that the one shot will become the truth cause I dont really see this couple lasting while they have all this emotional baggage to sort through but refuse to open up about.

joined Feb 23, 2016

GASP!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, you don't have to tell every one of your little secrets to your partner. Some things are too painful to share.

But they should just say it how it is.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, that's progress, I guess. There are secrets they still can't quite talk about, but at the same time, they do understand how difficult it also is for their partner to do so, and also want to eventually be able to do it at some point. Small steps, but we're still moving forward.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Is every cliffhanger now just gonna be "Yo can we fuck?"
It's making me roll my eyes a bit

joined Apr 6, 2018

i just hope their relationship will grow for the better and not towards the one shot route

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

Idk about you guys but they really don't feel compatible for each other to me. So far the only good thing about their relationhip is sex, and nothing else. They really don't express their love to each other that much. I guess Saeko hates it when her GF is kinda weak and shy and feels jealous when her gf can't defend herself. I guess her type is more like the strong and independant ones. I think the only thing she likes about Miwa is her looks. Miwa also has low confidence in herself so she feels like she isn't a good match for Saeko's strong and exuberant personality, and she's just glad that she gets to have a girlfriend. At this point, I understand why they would break up with each other. Props to the author for depicting such a realistic relationship. It doesn't always work, you know.

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

Yeah, at this pint they seem to just... keep trying to brush over everything with sex instead of just being even slightly open. That's not healthy...

last edited at Jul 4, 2020 11:13AM

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

It's not even just the lack of communication; it's clear that these girls don't feel comfortable being themselves around each other, and that's pretty much a death knell to any emotional intimacy. It's one thing to open yourself up to someone only to get your heart broken, but I don't think they are ever going to open up enough to be hurt or feel betrayed. Maybe we'll learn why that is, maybe we won't. Maybe they'll open up a little, but probably not -- certainly not if it follows the original short.
Rod Sterling voice: "Welcome to ... The Friend Zone" Do-DO-Do-do-Do-DO-Do-do

Edit:
Not that I'm hatin'. Thanks to the short, I have no expectations of a rosy (lily?) outcome, and the story is well-told. But if you're looking for a fluffy story or a big payoff after the drama and angst, you probably won't find it here. (Actually, I keep wondering if this story is at all autobiographical. I missed the notice if there was one.)

last edited at Jul 4, 2020 11:49AM

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

First of all, they're so annoying with how they refuse to freaking communicate with each other on literally anything. And when someone actually says something seriously, the other is extremely adamant with not giving an answer/avoiding the topic.

Also, Idk if it's just me but I was thinking maybe Saeko thought she was trans/played the role of a guy in middle school? That could explain why she doesn't want to talk about it at all and how there's no pics either. She doesn't want to be reminded of that time in her life. And talking about how she's annoyed about her hair and wants to cut it but feels like she can't. Maybe that's another clue to the fact that she wore her hair quite short and was trying to be a boy?

I don't know if the manga would even take this direction or bring up these types of stuff but I think it would make sense a little.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Also, Idk if it's just me but I was thinking maybe Saeko thought she was trans/played the role of a guy in middle school? That could explain why she doesn't want to talk about it at all and how there's no pics either. She doesn't want to be reminded of that time in her life. And talking about how she's annoyed about her hair and wants to cut it but feels like she can't. Maybe that's another clue to the fact that she wore her hair quite short and was trying to be a boy?

Chapter 3 implies otherwise.

Marcy
joined Nov 11, 2015

When they start lying is when the relationship falls apart ~~~

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Chapter 3 implies otherwise.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she was just tomboyish and cool, so she attracted the "prince" role at her girl's school. Lots of girls acting flirty and idolizing her, but when she actually fell hard for somebody, they shot her down hard and traumatized her, and she doesn't want to remember it.

Actually, given her thing with Jealousy, that might be the core of the problem? She got Jealous and possessive and the girl she liked got squicked out by it?

Screen%20shot%202020-05-04%20at%2010.17.35%20pm
joined Jul 1, 2015

keep thinking about the image set with "god how are you so SHIT at this?" and devilishly looking forward to the next chapter

Vanilla!!!
joined Feb 12, 2016

god i really wanna love this manga bc the art is so cute and the flow is nice but somehow.. i feel like saeko and miwa just dont have that chemistry to keep them together??? the lack of communication is really.. hm..

F0c1c7ea6c0d24b021d03256f2c658f6
joined Oct 9, 2019

Ooooo the show is bout to begin

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

god i really wanna love this manga bc the art is so cute and the flow is nice but somehow.. i feel like saeko and miwa just dont have that chemistry to keep them together??? the lack of communication is really.. hm..

That's gonna be the point of this manga though. Assuming they'll break up in the end like the one-shot, the author is dragging us through this whole relationship and explaining/showing us why they break up and it's painful to go through but it's also a wonderful exploration of a relationship that started out of opportunity rather than genuine mutual interest and never grew enough for them to stay together, part of the culprit being the lack of communication which is frustrating to all of us, which means the mangaka is most definitely succeeding in what they want to accomplish with this manga. It's pretty difficult to have likeable characters in an unlikeable relationship but have it balanced and written well enough for readers to stay engaged in a good way, and have both characters take about equal blame and draw equal dislike for their wrongdoings
If a manga makes you uncomfortable, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Sometimes its purpose is to do so, with a greater cause/message ofc behind it

last edited at Jul 4, 2020 7:24PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Sex is how Saeko retreats and distracts from the things she's scared of.

It's not impossible, but I don't think her mom would be encouraging her to tell her dad about Miwa if he had a bad reaction before. It feels to me more like she got heartbroken. I'm guessing every picture she took during middle school was with her best friend, who broke her heart, and so she threw out literally every photo she had because they were all painful, and she doesn't want to see anybody or remember anything from that period because it all brings up grief and trauma.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

It's interesting how some readers have an entirely different view on this than me. Where I see them overcome the troubles and grow closer again and again, even if everything isn't perfect yet, and consider the new troubles a chance to solve another problem, they only see impending doom. I've decided to name this the Bakarina Syndrome - due to remembering the original one-shot, people are so focused on the doom flags that they completely fail to see all the more positive developments this series has had.

Finding Jessica Lambert
joined Jun 20, 2020

Is Saeko a trans guy??? And was hurt and ridiculed for it before, now hiding behind long hair?
I'm very confused now. Saeko is very boyish in everything regardless of verbal expression of gender

And what will be now, after Miwa asking for switch?

I've heard pretransition trans guys are not comfortable with their bodies, but I'm not sure why Seako is not a switching type. Is it physical or emotional insecurity?

How to make a difference between a trans guy (possibly hidden) and a lesbian in such unclear situation like here, at this point in story-line?

To reply you must either login or sign up.