Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Oh from my understanding of Japanese.. isnt saying that the moon is beautiful pretty much a confession?

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

The volume 7 cover is so good.

Though for some reason Amazon has it in this weird quality where the artwork is low-res but the text is super clear.

last edited at Jun 27, 2020 8:03PM

4625e8c6494d6b432f9993e960cfd46c
joined Jan 27, 2020

The "Moon is beautiful" phrase is always a confession in my book. I've seen it used soo many times in yuri subtext works that I'm sure it's just authors code for "they gay"

Natsume Soseki.

Thanks, didn't know that. I must say the author is raising my expectations then.

From what I understand, at that time the Japanese could not use a classic "I love you", and "the moon is beautiful" sounds more poetic and romantic anyway. Maybe those who can't show their feelings directly are still using it?
Someone said above that how it would be like in the next ch. seeing Konatsu go outside and realize it is cloudy. That would be funny.

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

The "Moon is beautiful" phrase is always a confession in my book. I've seen it used soo many times in yuri subtext works that I'm sure it's just authors code for "they gay"

Natsume Soseki.

Thanks, didn't know that. I must say the author is raising my expectations then.

From what I understand, at that time the Japanese could not use a classic "I love you", and "the moon is beautiful" sounds more poetic and romantic anyway. Maybe those who can't show their feelings directly are still using it?

Rather than "could not", it's just truly not japanese, in the sense that saying such a plain and direct phrase such as 私は君を愛する (which is roughly what some english students translated "I love you" as) will:

A - out you as a non-native speaker faster than not knowing how to use chopsticks,

B - sound super tense, forward and robotic, not really conveying the feelings behind those words,

C - make you sound a bit stupid. If you're talking to someone and it's just the two of you, it's super weird to clarify "I" and "you". In japnaese those details are usually tacit, context-deriven.

Couple this with the fact that japanese is a very poetic language, and you arive at the conclusion that subtle phrases such as "The moon is beautiful" are actually better translations of "I love you", despite sounding completely random in english. I think that phrase and anecdote are an excellent way of showing the idiosyncrasies of japanese as a language.

Japanese is very minimalistic as well, so nowadays simply saying 好きだ (verb for liking + verb "to be") is more than good enough. I think the language is also moving away from the flowery language and poetics, much like english has for the past half a century... But personally, I really like when that type of language is used for yuri stories. Doesn't it seem appropiate for the genre named after a flower? :B

joined Jul 26, 2016

Doesn't it seem appropiate for the genre named after a flower? :B

I challenge you to sustain this line of thought with the bara genre. :U

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

Doesn't it seem appropiate for the genre named after a flower? :B

I challenge you to sustain this line of thought with the bara genre. :U

Absolutely, flowers are completely approiate for both the cute bodies of yuri girls and the muscly, huge bodies of bara men! I'd actually love a series of illustrations with bara men in composition with different flowers

joined Jan 25, 2017

suddenly realizes on a re-read that Koyuki doesn't drop that "The moon is so beautiful" line until AFTER Konatsu comes to the window so Koyuki can see her

tHATS GAY

KOYUKI WITH THE CHEESY ROMEO AND JULIET SHIT

last edited at Jul 1, 2020 3:08PM

joined Jul 1, 2018

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_doujin_where_shikinami_became_the_secretary_ship_ch04#22
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_doujin_where_shikinami_became_the_secretary_ship_ch04#23
I was taking a look at the author's other works, and it turns out she's pulled "the moon is beautiful" line before! I really hope that this time won't just be for comedic purposes though.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

^
Nice catch! With how many yuri doujins she wrote, I kinda have to wonder if she's struggling to hold back with Nettaigyo, heh.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

IT'S GAY THIS US GAY THE FULL MOON IS BEAUTIFUL IDC ABOUT SUBTEXT THAT WAS A PRETTY DIRECT LOVE CONFESSION LESGOOO GAYS

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well it's reassuring to know that mangaka san can't play the "I didn't know lol" card and even if they continue with the subtext, I guess it's solid now even if it is reading between lines.

Now even if at the bare minimum they promise to meet again after graduation in Tokyo I would be satisfied, any more would just make it go from 8.5 to a 9 or 10.

It would require something very forced to ruin it at this point... I must say, I'm happy but so so sooooo anxious and scared of the next chapter lo/ feels like I'm reading Ani no yome

last edited at Jul 1, 2020 8:34PM

joined Jul 1, 2018

^
Nice catch! With how many yuri doujins she wrote, I kinda have to wonder if she's struggling to hold back with Nettaigyo, heh.

You know, I've been wondering that too. I don't think she's trying to make them not go into a relationship, it's more like it would be out of character for our main girls to develop in any other way than they have now. I was re-reading the earlier chapters, and it was obvious that Koyuki was very infatuated with Konatsu from the start, though even through the festival, we see that she never took time to understand her own feelings and whether or not she wanted to be friends or more than friends with Konatsu. Whereas with Konatsu, she just didn't want to be lonely, and needed to find someone to trap in her cave of loneliness, which is what she did with Koyuki. It was originally Koyuki's choice to open up and deepen the friendship with Konatsu, we see this when after Konatsu says she already knows Honami, Koyuki replies by telling her her first name (this was like chapter one, I think).

Granted the nature of their relationship, it feels entirely natural that Koyuki would be the one to confess, but Konatsu may not be able to completely understand the nature of her feelings. Neither characters put a label on their feelings, so it's in the nature of the story for the two of them (or at least Konatsu) to truly figure out what they feel. Personally, I think it will take the work of a third party, maybe that nameless boy we see at the club to confess, or be like the Maki from YagaKimi of this manga. It might even be Kaede, who would be the designated wingman (I mean seeing the two follow each other out the classroom may be interpreted as a confession rather than a confrontation in ch 26). But I think that the pacing of the story really makes sense once reading it all the way through: These two girls form a relationship with one another, confront their individual problems, confront the problems that had with one another, and now we can see them possibly grow into a healthy romance.

Sorry for such a long post, but this series is for sure my favorite ongoing, there are so many subtleties that I could go on for forever.

joined Jan 25, 2017

I doubt the new boy will wind up being that important, tbh.I feel like we would have at least gotten a name for him by now if we were meant to pay too much attention to him. It's been several chapters since he was first introduced after all.

joined Jul 1, 2018

Hmm, maybe not directly, but indirectly at least? He might serve as someone for Konatsu to project on to, as she does when he sees him sucking the aquarium water. Maybe he ends up confessing to Koyuki or something, and Konatsu can see how his feelings for her parallels her own. Kinda like how that girl from the sports festival didn't do anything for the plot, or even had a name, but she sparked Konatsu's interest to learn more about Koyuki, and also let Konatsu know that the version of Koyuki she sees is different than everyone else's. Tbh, I wouldn't think that he would be as important if it weren't for his appearance in ch 24, around page 25. There are the signature fish appearing in their interaction, and Konatsu stares at him after he leaves. He's also the person who pulls her out of her depressed daydream about being lonely. I mean, there HAS to be some kind of role he plays after that.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

@Palmfire: I'll write this post under the assumption there is no veto on actual yuri from the editor or magazine and that Hagino has written the series thus far entirely on her own accord. I personally feel that the decision not to make the relationship between Konatsu and Koyuki overtly romantic so far made the bond between them stronger since their attraction to each other is based entirely on an emotional connection without the physical/lustful side of it playing a part. Of course, you have to roll with the idea that two lonely teenagers could become so close to each other without wanting to bone and I understand how some people wouldn't, but I disagree with those who called all the issues the characters went through forced or pointless drama. I think everything stemmed naturally from their insecurities and flaws and it never came down to actual forced drama, i.e. misunderstandings. They had a lot of genuine problems to work through, and they did.

As for what comes next, I'm not gonna lie and thus I'll say the latest chapter has got my hopes back up in terms of the possibility of a romantic development. It doesn't need to happen for the rest of the story to work, but I think that now that Konatsu and Koyuki have established such a deep connection through their shared loneliness and got to the point where they can be open to each other about it, it would make sense for the two of them to try and fill that void with something more than mere friendship. At the very least the author has always taken great care not even to imply that either of them could be potentially interested in someone else while there have been instances of the opposite, for example with Koyuki's mother comparing their relationship to that between her and her own husband. And while stuff like that is still within the realm of plausible deniability as to the author's intent, Koyuki's line in the latest chapter is harder to justify and it would honestly feel a bit baity if it turns out not to have a deeper meaning at all.

joined Jul 1, 2018

I totally agree with you. I think the author has really taken care of the characters emotions, and that there isn’t really a need for romance, but I can’t help but wonder what this next arc will be. Granted with that line drop we got last chapter, I think it was the authors way of telling the reader what’s next. Understanding the structure of the literary allusions in the story so far, it is easier to assume that Konatsu wouldn’t immeasurably understand Koyuki’s message. Honestly it would be too jarring for them to go straight into dating right now for me, I would enjoy it if we really get to see the process of their feelings. From the beginning it is implied that Koyuki liked Konatsu more than a friend (if were looking at their interactions through a romantic lens) : “If you gave me your number, I’d call you all the time!” “There’s something wrong with me, ever since I met Konatsu I’ve been so...” and of course, taking a pic of her bae’s sleeping face. Koyuki appears to understand her feelings, which can lead to the reader coming to the conclusion of “I want to always be together” as “I want to spend the rest of my life with you and no one else” Koyuki saying “The moon is so beautiful” If we are implying that this ain’t just a gag from the author, is probably her way of saying that the only person she’d want to spend the rest of her life with is Konatsu. This scene actually parallels one form chapter 25, where Honami walks to Konatsu’s place and we can see the Konatsu is looking out the window with the curtain shut. Symbolical this would be that communication rift that they had between them, as neither of them had admitted that “I’m lonely without you” yet. The author actually has a knack for these parallels: we can see that Koyuki shares a drink with Konatsu during in “Koyuki can’t concentrate” a parallel to the indirect kiss she got so worked up over. Every single time Koyuki has done something that opens herself up, it was always as a result of Konatsu setting it for her. The same thing can be seen when Koyuki takes hours to reply in one chapter, and a few chapters later she’s neglecting club duties to talk to her friend.

Based off of her interactions, we can see that Honami is sure of herself. She knows what she wants to do and how she feels about others: her issue is just doing these things. So upon that conclusion, I’m sure that this line is something she’s been meaning to say for a while, but she was too afraid to put her words into action, or be that person she wants to be. I’m just speculating, but I’m the sports festival chapter, Kondou talks to Konatsu about Honami and says “she’s smart, she’s pretty, and then there’s...” I’m sure that Koyuki’s story is still being withheld to the reader a little. If we get a little more of her backstory besides her isolation and dorkiness, it would even more solidify what it is she feels for Konatsu

That being said, this is Konatsu’s chapter. She won’t be deferred. But defferred from what? Getting into a a relationship with her senpai, despite knowing that she’ll be clinging on to a person who will leave in a year, or deferred from rejecting Koyuki’s feelings, despite knowing that it would be painful for both of them? Konatsu is full of unknowns. What happened to her mom? Her dad says the first time he can around “I’m so glad you’ve found something you’re engrossed in here too” What are her interests? Does she even like salamanders? Lol. She apparently has always been lonely and has placed a bar between herself and others, I wonder why. We know now that she understands that she can no longer have an unhealthy dependence on people, which is why she may end up rejecting Koyuki, or hiding her feelings.

A user posted a very interesting analysis of the salamander and frog story a while back. It Wen along the lines of “the salamander’s cave is their shyness, the frog enters the cave of the salamander, satisfying the unapproachable salamanders loneliness. The frog starving itself to death is an analogy for it starving for something more in their relationship” if Koyuki is the frog and Konatsu is the salamander, then maybe she will get rejected (initially) and we will enter an arc where the emotional love turns into one that is non-platonic. Idk I might be looking too deeply into things, but knowing the author, we are definitely going to get a display of explicit feelings. If this goes the yuri route. If it doesn’t, then i wouldn’t know how to justify this previous interaction. Sorry if I’m not making any sense, but do you understand my analysis?

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

This scene actually parallels one form chapter 25, where Honami walks to Konatsu’s place and we can see the Konatsu is looking out the window with the curtain shut.

Oh darn, I hadn't noticed. Posting for everyone to see:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch25#4
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch25#5
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch25#6

Konatsu was at the curtain but it was shut and it was raining on top of it, so the "beautiful moon" couldn't be seen in two ways, plus Koyuki went there without communicating anything first and writing a text that didn't invite discussion afterwards as opposed to how she would call her first in the latest chapter. The line "I'm such a terrible senpai..." itself was also a callback to a previous chapter when she thought she was imposing herself on Konatsu. If you really look into it there's a crazy amount of stuff like this.

I'm not sure we'll get more about Koyuki's and Konatsu's past, I think it will depend on how relevant showing specific episodes from it would be to the current situation. For instance, I don't think it's necessary to explicitly show what happened to Konatsu's mother, it can be pretty much surmised from what little we've seen and it's clear how it affected both her and her father. As for Koyuki, I don't think there was any single noteworthy event that made her into who she is, it sounds like she gradually distanced herself from others due to the pressure of being a model student (as opposed to, say, the reason why Touko in YagaKimi became one). Of course I would love to see how she came to love aquatic life and take over the aquarium club.

The frog starving itself to death is an analogy for it starving for something more in their relationship” if Koyuki is the frog and Konatsu is the salamander, then maybe she will get rejected (initially) and we will enter an arc where the emotional love turns into one that is non-platonic.

Although the series flipped the perspective of who the salamander and the frog are in the analogy with the short story when Konatsu tried to hold Koyuki back from going out with her classmates, I'd still say the roles align more to Koyuki being the salamander and Konatsu being the frog. When they finally had their heart to heart in chapter 26, Konatsu thought that she always wanted to be a frog so she could be with the salamander, that she thought that was all that connected them, but then implies there will be more to their connection from now on. The salamander is shown swimming away together with the frog at this point. I took this image and this entire scene to mean that the analogy with the short story has now been resolved with the animals finally opening up to each other, the salamander managing to leave its cave thanks to the frog and them setting off together to unknown waters.

That's why I think Konatsu wouldn't reject Koyuki's feelings at this point if she were to confess. Her dependance on Koyuki is no longer one-sided, they both expressed how they need one another. To this end, there's been a lot of set-up about the time when Koyuki will have to leave for Tokyo to start university. In the chapters where Konatsu's dad returned, she came to the realization that even though she'll feel lonely without his physical presence, distance will not break their bond and she can face her loneliness with that knowledge. Koyuki's father tells the same thing to Konatsu's in regards to their daughters' relationship once Koyuki has to leave. And Konatsu herself wrote "frog" as her career choice in this chapter. I wouldn't take that as a simple joke, she's saying she wants to be by Koyuki's side even after graduating. Maybe this could be what they'll talk about next chapter since Koyuki seemingly wants to have a proper talk about her leaving for Tokyo after graduation, and Konatsu "won't be deterred" from expressing her intention of catching up to her once she also graduates.

joined Jul 1, 2018

Ooo nice interpretation there! I think the biggest thing to look out for at this point is whether or not the characters are messing around or being truly serious about how they feel. Maybe it’s because Kaede is in here; where her character has her written into a box: she’s the energetic airhead, where in reality she’s afraid to be alone, and is very perspective of others. In her case, she’d probably just laugh at herself if she was put into a hard situation, or she would do whatever she could for the other person, neglecting her own feelings (as she did with pushing Koyuki and Konatsu closer together, even though it objectively raises the chances of Konatsu leaving her)

You’re right about the setup for leaving for university, but I still feel that it’s further down the road than we think, the first objective is Koyuki having cram school every day in matsuyama over the summer. I feel like it’s more like a trial period for the two, how will they make this coming summer work out? We’ve only seen them hangout on non school related business ONCE, what will they talk about? I think a very interesting point in this manga is that we don’t really hear what they talk to each other about besides the few lines Konatsu says regarding her dad. If I were to compare to Yagakimi, it’s like 1/3 of that manga is spent on talking on the way home. Even in citrus: we see Yuzu only talking about mei to Taniguchi (tho citrus had a slew of characterization issues regardless).

Just as a little side note: it’s really cute that Konatsu says that it’s rare for Koyuki to call, even though we all know she’d love to call konatsu all day

Looking at the ending interaction on ch 28 I can’t help but think that konatsu is trying to distance herself from Koyuki. You made a good point: the dad coming in was set up for us to see how konatsu had grown, and reassures is that she will be ok with Honami leaving, however this interaction makes me feel like she wants to distance herself from Koyuki. “I have to concentrate on myself right now””If I came to you for advice I feel like I would lose my nerve” This line especially seems contradictory to her development, as we know that she herself has confirmed to be fine apart from who she loves, yet in Honami’s case, she can’t be. Foreshadow for more development later?? The fact that she erases “frog” from the survey: I can’t help but think that she knows she wants to be with Koyuki but she is stopping herself from doing so. Maybe it’s an internal response to chapters 21 and 21: where she kept stating that she was being selfish. I don’t really think that Konatsu’s character arc is over yet, I mean if we were to put in a serious diagnosis of her having depression or something, it’s not something that just goes away. With her father, she got really sad about him leaving but then forced herself to be optimistic. With Koyuki, it appears that her being wants to be attached but she is forcing distance. Now this could be for one of two reasons: She's doing this for herself, so that she won't be as sad, and she is trying to gain some independence from her senpai, or (which I think is the real reason) She is trying to make it easier for Koyuki to leave. We get an interesting flashback at the beginning of the chapter; Konatsu obviously didn't have anyone she considered a friend (the girls she spoke to her referred to her as Amano), but her dad assumes she has some, and ask if she told them about the move. She lies and says yes. It appears that Konatsu was emulating a little bit of Kaede here, as she lied to her dad about having friends to reassure him that she wasn't feeling lonely, and she lied about telling them that she was leaving. I speculate that this would be so that the move would be easier for her dad. She reassures his choice by telling him that it was his dream, and he should go for it. I see massive parallels with Koyuki. Konatsu states that she doesn't have anything she wants to do, unlike her senpai, establishing the fact that Koyuki has dreams. Learning about her massive move, it would appear to be more in character for her try and make Koyuki feel less pain, rather than making her move harder. Personally, given how indebted she feels to Koyuki, I really wouldn't put it past Konatsu to say something that would put distance between them, so Koyuki wouldn't stop herself from leaving, or would feel less homesick. This is a stretch though, but I can't help but think about this occurring given Konatsu's actions having a pattern of not lining up with her emotions. I way say that sign of growth would be Konatsu not going along with this method, although it begs the question of why the author chose that specific flashback.

As for the analogy, I do agree that I'm sure this arc's literary allusion will have to do more with moons and less with amphibians, but I still think that it is an interesting speculation, granted that their roles have flipped multiple times in this series.

Back to ch 28. It's obvious that Koyuki even called Konatsu in the first place because she couldn't stand not seeing her for two days. She states that nothing is wrong, and then... "Well seventh period dragged longer today so I couldn't come to the club." Big hint that Koyuki is missing Konatsu, where Konatsu replies abruptly that there's nothing she can do about it. Once again, putting distance between them. If Konatsu really wanted to get closer, she would have said something along the lines of "Yeah I was missing you at club too. It was lonely without you." Which something like this would be plausible for her character. She then interrupts Koyuki to talk about how she also got the survey. I feel like she may even be discouraging or preparing herself for they inevitable breakup. rather than healthily confronting her feelings: "You're leaving, but it's oaky because this distance won't break us up." It appears that she is tying to mentally prepare herself for what is to come, Like prepare for a life where she can't have her senpai all to herself or be with her all the time. People do this often. When they feel like someone is leaving, they try to make distance to save both parties pain, or they learn to cope with the distance. Konatsu has done both within this series; but it becomes harder to understand why.

When Honami says her infamous line, she isn't blushing or being dorky as she would be expected to be, rather her face is a little indifferent, maybe this confession is her way of trying to close the distance that konatsu is attempting to create. I will say that it would be to jarring to go straight into an acceptance of a confession. I mean, I already find Konatsu's behavior odd, and Koyuki not being a dork, where she was clearly so when Konatsu picked up the phone. I truly don't think that they would spring into a romance immediately.

for what it's worth, I've seen the author stream a few times (her oldest streams might still be up) and the scene for the next chapter takes place at the beach. The most interesting picture that she spent most of the stream on was a full page of Koyuki and Konatsu standing on the beach, Konatsu turned away from Koyuki, with her hand up. I'm not sure whether this is negative or positive. This Ould be the stereotypical "I'm shy so I can't say what I want to say to your face" Move, or a heavy "I don't want to hear any more of this. Idk, it just made me look forward to the chapter more.

Lastly, I understand your point about the back story, the author really has been particular about what she reveals to the reader, as there isn't a lot of pandering with the characters: the delivery of information is very minimalistic , as if this is actually a much longer manga, and she's picking out the most important parts and condensing the rest into backgrounds and implications through character interactions. Sometimes I really just want to see everything. As a reader I'm really curious as to why Konatsu is the way she is, is it because of some tragic backstory as with all manga, or is she really just a depressed high schooler who can't seem to make true friends? Honestly I'd love to know anyones's thoughts on anything Iv'e said, I really want to see the story from different perspectives, mostly because there are many routes this way can go, with what we are given.

I'd also like to make a point that isn't related to previous posts much. Remember that girl who was about to drink in ch 24 ish ? She's the same girl from chapter 2, and from Kaede's chapter. Her character is very interesting, almost as though she is a reflection of who Koyuki wants to be. She's the one who invites Honami out to eat; she's the one who see's Honami out and is shocked to see that Honami can be normal too. It alway appeared to me that Honami was jealous of this girl, or that she was put to be how Honami would have been if EXPECTATIONS were stacked on her. Even so, when asked for a drink, Honami wants to order an Oolong... oolong what? granted her usual conservative nature, the reader can assume that in reality, she just likes to drink tea rather than soda, but this girl orders an oolong hardball. It was probably at this point where Honami really gained a truer sense of self, that she saw this girl that she may have been envious of or a societal role model to, and she realizes that that image she yearned for isn't truly who she wants to be.

Ah, sorry for going on a tangent again.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I don't know, Konatsu has been pretty adamant in this chapter about wanting to talk with Koyuki about more things, including each other, and was about to suggest it before Koyuki told her to go to the window. I get the feeling she'll try to stop bottling her feelings up from now on, and that even if she doesn't want to make the move to Tokyo harder for Koyuki, she's still going to be honest and tell her she's going to miss her but she'll take it in stride, like she already did with her father in the previous chapter. The flashback could be there for contrasting purposes: she didn't tell her acquaintance at school she was leaving and lied about it, while now she's going to tell her most important person that it's fine for her to leave, showcasing her growth.

And yeah, I wasn't saying a confession would happen right now, I meant in general. I don't think this manga will fall into the usual pattern of the characters slowly realizing their feelings and struggling with them (especially the all-too-familiar drivel about them both being girls) because it would essentially be an explicitly romantic repeat of what they already went through, I feel that if it happens, it'll simply come from them continuing to grow closer like they have so far. Like, maybe they start getting a little more physical with each other without bringing too much attention to it, as opposed to early on when Koyuki made a big deal out of giving Konatsu a hug.

I popped into one of Hagino's streams when she was drawing chapter 26 and congratulated her for her hard work, she thanked me and said she does her best (in English). I consider it my shining moment, lol. Now if only they announced an official release in my country already I could start actually paying her back too.

last edited at Jul 2, 2020 5:21PM

joined Jul 1, 2018

I bought volume one in English, but now I’m broke, however I have no complaints about spending any extra money I have on this beautiful manga. I can totally see your interpretation; in fact when this hopefully inevitably gets to a romantic relationship, I hope they skip over that “but we’re both girls” or “what is this feeling” my heart will melt if we simply get a chapter of them standing by the seaside, gradually get closer and lean in for the kiss (hopefully a response to that tease we got when they went on a fishing trip). I feel like the characters will go kinda like how Crescent moon and doughnuts is going: where it’s not the fact that the person that they’re in love with is the obstacle, but just accepting that it IS in fact love, which we already see Koyuki doing. I really see a resemblance in Konatsu and Uno in a way, how they both feel isolated until mysterious beautiful black haired senior lights up their world lol. I have total faith in Hagino and what’s gonna happen next, when next moth’s chapter comes out, I’ll probably find different meaning in everything that I assigned a meaning to this month. Just for fun, I might go back and mark all of the intentional parallels and references Hagino makes. Maybe we will see somethings yet to be revealed.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I went back to the start of the series since the flashback scene in the latest chapter ended exactly where the story began, and I find it funny how much more detailed and complex the art got, it's like Konatsu de-aged by five years while on that train ride, lol.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch28#7
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch01#6
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch01#7

joined Jul 1, 2018

Lol the art style has quite the change in the later chapters. The characters go from middle school to graduating looks-wise in like two volumes.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Sorry for the image spam that's about to ensue, but I've wanted to do this for a while. I fell in love with the setting, the town of Nagahama in Ehime, and I took the time to find some of the landmarks that appear in the manga on google maps because I love when stories accurately reproduce settings that aren't the usual big cities everybody knows. And so, bear with me as I take you on a little sightseeing tour.

This is a view of the town from one of its neighboring hills. It's a small port town divided in half by a river, I suggest you look at it yourself in maps for a better understanding of the layout.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch01#9
This is Ehime Kenritsu High School, which you should be very familiar with. As the author said in the extras of the first volume, she chose Nagahama specifically because this high school really does have an aquarium club.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch06#2
The ferry to Aoshima, the island of cats. Speaking of which...

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch06#12
That title is in no way an exaggeration.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch07#14
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch19#28
The portside park with the ship replica that Kaede went to with Konatsu and Koyuki on separate occasions.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch09#29
It's also where the town's summer festival takes place.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch10#18
The town's shopping district where Koyuki takes Riku for walks. Also...

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch02#13
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch10#26
The store where Konatsu and Kaede met Koyuki during said walks. I may have gone too far by actually finding this.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch27_5#21
The town's train station that was seen a couple chapters ago when Konatsu's dad left.

Hope you enjoyed!

joined Jul 1, 2018

Guys, I finally found out why Hagino was pushing that boy into the story by putting him in every chapter, it turns out he was the former main character of her one shot that she submitted to the magazine, allowing her to serialize her own manga!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/694406/1

His name is Aoshima Haruto.

Also, Riku makes a little cameo in it too

last edited at Jul 7, 2020 3:25PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Guys, I finally found out why Hagino was pushing that boy into the story by putting him in every chapter, it turns out he was the former main character of her one shot that she submitted to the magazine, allowing her to serialize her own manga!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/694406/1

His name is Aoshima Haruto.

Literally who. ' -')

To reply you must either login or sign up.