Forum › It's a Detached Relationship. discussion

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

There seems to be an underlying strong homophobia with Mochida and Yoru.

About Yoru, I'm assuming she identifies as straight. So sleeping with a girl (who also has feelings for her) just irks me. It's very damaging to that girl (Sei) because it's like she tells her "look, this is the most you'll ever get for love and I'm doing you a favor". It's kinda reinforced by the fact that she sleeps around with so many guys and she even got married so young. Her being so casual about the guys in front of Sei is like rubbing it into her face that she will never get that because she's not a guy.
Don't know how intentional from the author this is, but I certainly get this undertone here.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

It's kinda reinforced by the fact that she sleeps around with so many guys

Isn't that because Sei will ruin her chance everytime ? I remember even go to ask one of her BF to break up with Yoru. Any person will have stop going out with a person like that.

I mean, it's Japan we talking about. It's not very gay friendly, even if it had open up a bit, it's still not LGBT-open.Also the trope of the girl saying she was just playing around in an all girls schools is not a very rare trope.

Heart-Of-The-Earth
Nanofate%20feelz
joined Nov 6, 2013

I lost it when I read the title of this chapter

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

omg lol you're right. I know the song but just didn't really think about it, and forgot about the title after I was done reading
Assuming we're talking about the song by Oasis, these are the lyrics (first half ish, it repeats). Quite a few of the lines remind me of Sei
Today is gonna be the day
That they're gonna throw it back to you
By now you should've somehow
Realized what you gotta do
I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do, about you now
Backbeat, the word was on the street
That the fire in your heart is out
I'm sure you've heard it all before
But you never really had a doubt
I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do about you now
And all the roads we have to walk are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that I
Would like to say to you but I don't know how
Because maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me
And after all, you're my wonderwall

joined Mar 8, 2019

About Yoru, I'm assuming she identifies as straight. So sleeping with a girl (who also has feelings for her) just irks me. It's very damaging to that girl (Sei) because it's like she tells her "look, this is the most you'll ever get for love and I'm doing you a favor". It's kinda reinforced by the fact that she sleeps around with so many guys and she even got married so young. Her being so casual about the guys in front of Sei is like rubbing it into her face that she will never get that because she's not a guy.
Don't know how intentional from the author this is, but I certainly get this undertone here.

Tell me about it. I definitely see how Sei could feel that way and how it helped her turn into who she is now. But I don’t think that was Yoru’s intention.

It seems like no guy is taking Yoru seriously but she wants them to. As far as we know, Yoru is the one who keeps getting dumped/tricked/used/played with. The only time we know she plays is when she lets Sei sleep with her.

She enters these relationships hoping someone will take her seriously, hence why she got married right away.

She sees her self as a stupid girl, probably thinks she doesn’t have much to offer. She recognizes that Sei’s feelings for her are real, hence why she recognizes that she’s always hurting Sei and maybe feels guilty she can’t return said feelings- which could be the reason why she lets Sei do her- but doesn’t quite understand why Sei feels that way about her.

Isn't that because Sei will ruin her chance everytime ? I remember even go to ask one of her BF to break up with Yoru. Any person will have stop going out with a person like that.

So far, we have seen her do it once and that guy wasn’t even taking his relationship with Yoru seriously. He said we just playing around with her.

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 6:03PM

B25e08d9df956cc70b30a6cce4e9e9cb
joined Aug 27, 2013

I’ll answer these lines by anim8tur a bit late, but still:

Lonely teenage girl with extremely low self esteem falling for the first stranger to ever show interest in her does not feel that far fetched to me.
The fact that she went to meet Kuro at the thought of losing her means she’d already developed a strong emotional connection with Kuro over text.
Aya had nothing and then comes Sei, who’s interested in her, who took the time to message her daily just to ask about her, who sparks her own curiosity, who awakened her sexual desires, the combination of all that makes it easy for Sei to become her reason to be alive.

This is soooo ridiculous. Like, are you a woman? Have you EVER been to dating apps, sites etc? When you create an account, you get like dozens of messages, and 99,9% of them are shit like “Are you a virgin? What are you wearing? Wanna see my dick? Have you got a boyfriend? Do you like cunnilingus? You have nice boobs, wanna lick ‘em!” and stuff like that. From what we can see, Sei did exactly the same. She started her perverted chat soon after they began talking. Daily, yeah, like for a week? So how do you think, are there a lot of woman who “develop a strong emotional connection” to that kinda fellows? None. Really, practically zero. Because it’s disturbing. Because it’s invading privacy. It’s uncomfortable. And it’s way more so when you are a lonely teenage girl with extremely low self esteem. So something like a girl falling in love with a stranger who writes in a chat “I wanna fuk u real hard ooohhh babe” is not even forced, it’s stupid and funny. It’s almost comedy. Thus this romance is pulled out of an ass. It’s called “bad writing”.

The odds of him believing what she says is very low, cause he might think that it's just nonsense that she made up or she's lying.

Agree that could be one of the reasons.

For someone of her type it will be more fun to ruin the person's reputation by spreading around school in the process having the person getting fired & lose their job.

I don't know if she's doing it because it's more fun. For her it's the only way to achieve her goal, which necessarily isn't to get Sei fired, but to have Math teacher.

Mochida can't tell him without proof so she's gathering evidence so he'll believe and stay away from her himself, which in her mind means he chose her.

I would have to agree to that logic.

Mochida's convinced that despite Sei being a lesbian, Sei is still using her charms to distract Math teacher and because of that, she can't ask Sei to stay away from him. She'd rather believe Sei is leading him on than face the fact that Math teacher simply isn't interested in her. She probably sees her self as the heroine trying to save her love from the clutches of the gross evil lesbian user...

Haha I don't think of that way.

Her amusement and Sei's firing are just byproducts.

Mmm… true it could be just that.

Someroughclipping
joined Aug 28, 2019

Lonely teenage girl with extremely low self esteem falling for the first stranger to ever show interest in her does not feel that far fetched to me.

This is soooo ridiculous. Like, are you a woman? Have you EVER been to dating apps, sites etc? When you create an account, you get like dozens of messages, and 99,9% of them are shit like “Are you a virgin? What are you wearing? Wanna see my dick? Have you got a boyfriend? Do you like cunnilingus? You have nice boobs, wanna lick ‘em!” and stuff like that. From what we can see, Sei did exactly the same. She started her perverted chat soon after they began talking. Daily, yeah, like for a week? So how do you think, are there a lot of woman who “develop a strong emotional connection” to that kinda fellows? None. Really, practically zero. Because it’s disturbing....

Umm...Are you saying women, especially teenage girls, don't fall for online predators? It'd be great if that was the case but unfortunately, it's not. There's literally countless shows/documentaries/news segments about these kind of things. Believe me, when they show the chats they've had, I've internally screamed when I read some of the things these women fall for ("Like really!? How do you fall for some stupid line like that?!"). It's not uncommon for them to fall prey in just the first couple messages /texts too. And some even felt flattered when they got propositioned immediately. It's unbelievable but it definitely happens.

joined Aug 15, 2018

Is Yoru 100% straight though?
I am longing for some kind of closure between Sei & Yoru.. and also knowing why she was letting her sleep with her??
anim8tur you said it was because she was feeling bad for her. But doing that obviously made things worse...

joined Mar 8, 2019

This is soooo ridiculous. Like, are you a woman? Have you EVER been to dating apps, sites etc? When you create an account, you get like dozens of messages, and 99,9% of them are shit like “Are you a virgin? What are you wearing? Wanna see my dick? Have you got a boyfriend? Do you like cunnilingus? You have nice boobs, wanna lick ‘em!” and stuff like that. From what we can see, Sei did exactly the same. She started her perverted chat soon after they began talking. Daily, yeah, like for a week? So how do you think, are there a lot of woman who “develop a strong emotional connection” to that kinda fellows? None. Really, practically zero. Because it’s disturbing. Because it’s invading privacy. It’s uncomfortable. And it’s way more so when you are a lonely teenage girl with extremely low self esteem. So something like a girl falling in love with a stranger who writes in a chat “I wanna fuk u real hard ooohhh babe” is not even forced, it’s stupid and funny. It’s almost comedy. Thus this romance is pulled out of an ass. It’s called “bad writing”.

But Sei did not start off with sexual advances. They made small talk and talked about their hobbies and opinions about the books and movies they've read. It isn't stipulated how long it went on for- I think we just get a standard pacing because to show everything would be boring and so far this is paced really well- but the fact that someone cared enough to talk to her daily meant a lot to Aya.

Most of these are just inferences based on things I remember reading: for Aya she might feel that Haruki comes in when she has nothing better to do or maybe because it's too rowdy in her house because 'someone is always home'. Her mom doesn't cook for her that often- hence why Aya's so handy in the kitchen. All these things can make Aya feel like she's just second choice. Then here is 'Kuro'- taking the time out of her busy working adult schedule to text her during lunch and check on her when she got home from a long meeting...

You may have missed how I said I don't think Aya is in love with Sei just yet. I think it can definitely head that way though but as of the moment her saying Sei is her 'reason to be alive' has little to do with love.

The way I see it, each chapter kind of highlights how Aya's attachment to Sei grows. Before Sei came in, she had one friend, her books, movies, her school work, and Haruki herself describes Aya as being listless...

Then when Sei came, a whole barrage of emotions were awakened in Aya. She felt fear, curiosity, excitement, carnal desires, pleasure, pain, comfort, etc. Sei also brought forth new experiences which force her out of her shell. Sei became an outlet to escape her boring reality and if Sei leaves, Aya's back to living an empty life. -Hence why Aya feels Sei is her reason for being alive.

joined Mar 8, 2019

Is Yoru 100% straight though?

She's spaghetti. Straight until wet.

I am longing for some kind of closure between Sei & Yoru.. and also knowing why she was letting her sleep with her??
anim8tur you said it was because she was feeling bad for her. But doing that obviously made things worse...

Yeah but Sei admits to not being the sharpest tool in the shed. Originally I thought she was doing it to keep Sei on her hook but now I think she probably thought she could at least give Sei her body if not her heart and believed it might be enough to satisfy Sei.

joined Mar 8, 2019

This is soooo ridiculous. Like, are you a woman? Have you EVER been to dating apps, sites etc? When you create an account, you get like dozens of messages, and 99,9% of them are shit like “Are you a virgin? What are you wearing? Wanna see my dick? Have you got a boyfriend? Do you like cunnilingus? You have nice boobs, wanna lick ‘em!” and stuff like that. From what we can see, Sei did exactly the same. She started her perverted chat soon after they began talking. Daily, yeah, like for a week? So how do you think, are there a lot of woman who “develop a strong emotional connection” to that kinda fellows? None. Really, practically zero. Because it’s disturbing....

Umm...Are you saying women, especially teenage girls, don't fall for online predators? It'd be great if that was the case but unfortunately, it's not. There's literally countless shows/documentaries/news segments about these kind of things. Believe me, when they show the chats they've had, I've internally screamed when I read some of the things these women fall for ("Like really!? How do you fall for some stupid line like that?!"). It's not uncommon for them to fall prey in just the first couple messages /texts too. And some even felt flattered when they got propositioned immediately. It's unbelievable but it definitely happens.

Not just women. There are a lot of sad lonely people out there who end up with a broken heart and an empty bank account.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Yeah but Sei admits to not being the sharpest tool in the shed. Originally I thought she was doing it to keep Sei on her hook but now I think she probably thought she could at least give Sei her body if not her heart and believed it might be enough to satisfy Sei.

I think that's excusing her behavior a bit. Even if she isn't very sharp, I don't think they had sex for Sei's shake. She didn't want to let Sei completely off, because she was the only person who loved her. But even if she just felt sorry for her, she should have completely let her move on and not add more to the fuel. Maybe this is bad writing and Sei was so in love with her for no reason with Yoru doing the absolute least, but I'm more skeptical about this version rather than Yoru also consciously contributing to it.

Umm...Are you saying women, especially teenage girls, don't fall for online predators? It'd be great if that was the case but unfortunately, it's not. There's literally countless shows/documentaries/news segments about these kind of things.

Yeah they definitely fall for that, but do they also think that person from the internet is their sole reason to be alive after meeting them for a week? It's way less possible, but not unbelievable. But regarding the writing here, I don't think the main point is whether there is a chance this could happen irl, it's more about feeling too fast and forced from a storytelling pov.

joined Mar 8, 2019

I think that's excusing her behavior a bit. Even if she isn't very sharp, I don't think they had sex for Sei's shake. She didn't want to let Sei completely off, because she was the only person who loved her. But even if she just felt sorry for her, she should have completely let her move on and not add more to the fuel. Maybe this is bad writing and Sei was so in love with her for no reason with Yoru doing the absolute least, but I'm more skeptical about this version rather than Yoru also consciously contributing to it.

Yeah, but Sei was the first person to love her completely. She might not have known how to deal with that. And then when Sei ended up going to her guy, she realizes she done messed up.

I was all set to hate on Yoru when I began reading this, thinking this girl is baiting her best friend, but this manga seems to want to give us characters that readers can sympathize/empathize with.

Yeah they definitely fall for that, but do they also think that person from the internet is their sole reason to be alive after meeting them for a week? It's way less possible, but not unbelievable. But regarding the writing here, I don't think the main point is whether there is a chance this could happen irl, it's more about feeling too fast and forced from a storytelling pov.

It's been more than week since they've met and a lot more has happened since their initial encounter.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

Do all of the chapters have titles? I completely missed this title, and, looking back at them, it doesn't appear that any of them aside from the kindergarten ones do.

Img_20190130_105529
joined Jan 29, 2019

Yoru :)))

DivineAlexandra
Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

Oh yes, really liking this series, love to see more of it

Dubious deeds aside, I gotta say I really like Yoru's style and looks

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Why do I want Aya to end up with Sei. Sei is an teacher f#%king a highschool girl. Practicality raping Aya unitl she likes it. Not to mention taunting Aya's friend with those pictures. Sei is pretty much a hentai style villain. If Sei was a guy, I would want to beat her with a tireiron. But because Sei is a woman, I'm rooting for her.

last edited at Apr 28, 2020 12:38AM

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

I'm hoping Sei does some reflecting on how she treats Aya after realising she wants her to be there for her. If they become a bit more honest I'm sure it'll smooth out..... I'm not sure if I want that yet though..... Love the drama so far! Fucked up people with fucked up feelings doing fucked up things makes for a juicy story which is why I'm here heheh let's see how long this lasts

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

I've been on multiple dating sites. Never once had this experience for some reason. Seriously. Not even once.
I have met and spoke to people with similar hobbies though.

Ahh.. but I have seen and heard this happen to some of my friends.

last edited at Apr 28, 2020 4:14AM

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

I've been on multiple dating sites. Never once had this experience for some reason. Seriously. Not even once.
I have met and spoke to people with similar hobbies though.

Ahh.. but I have seen and heard this happen to some of my friends.

It depends on the dating site. As far as I can tell, the one Aya was using had good reviews, and people dress nicely (business suits, office wear and smart casual attire) for their profile pictures. It might be more "formal" than Tinder, at least. Also, as the characters have repeatedly mentioned, the app is also used by people who just want to make friends. The Japanese word for "dating site/app" is "deai kei saito/appuri" which only really means "meeting site/app." The "dating/hook up" part is implied, but not necessarily its sole purpose.

Treating Japanese online dating sites like one of those with incredibly rude Indian and Bangladeshi users is not only ignorant, but honestly kind of insulting. And besides, it's not like the ONLY interactions Aya and Sei had were online and in texts. They have actually spent a decent amount of time together, or at least more than the other people in Aya's life. It's not hard to imagine that someone deprived of any sort affection will latch on to the first person to offer it.

last edited at Apr 28, 2020 4:47AM

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

The way Sei left Yoru was wonderful

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

Sei based as fuck

joined Dec 9, 2014

Why do I want Aya to end up with Sei. Sei is an teacher f#%king a highschool girl. Practicality raping Aya unitl she likes it. Not to mention taunting Aya's friend with those pictures. Sei is pretty much a hentai style villain. If Sei was a guy, I would want to beat her with a tireiron. But because Sei is a woman, I'm rooting for her.

At least you recognize the double standards lol. Because she is a woman and less physically threatening, they give the false sense of security. Plus we hear more frequently about males being violent than women.

Yeah, but Sei was the first person to love her completely. She might not have known how to deal with that. And then when Sei ended up going to her guy, she realizes she done messed up.

I think that's a reach at this point. Maybe Yoru will end up being more sympathetic, but not knowing how to deal with it is a stretch. She wouldn't have sex with her if she was so in shock and clueless. She also wouldn't sleep around with many guys, talk about her guy issues with Sei and be away from Sei for 8 years.

It's been more than week since they've met and a lot more has happened since their initial encounter.

More than a week can vary from 2 weeks to 90 years. It was more than a week but not more than a month. Still very soon.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

So, did she break the curse, at last?

To reply you must either login or sign up.