Forum › Run Away With Me, Girl discussion

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Midori is terrified even when Tazune touched her. God, Midori just leave him. You don’t need a man like that.

This is a great chapter, especially Maki and her mom’s conversation. Maki really knows what she likes or what she wants. She’s not that “normal”, she likes girls, she’s inlove with Midori. Ah, so much respect for Maki.

Anyway, I love the panel where Midori looked at the doves flying, it’s like she herself wants to be free, free from everything that weighted her. Hah, I want her to just go with Maki, badly.

last edited at Mar 2, 2020 5:03AM

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

This manga is just misery to read, hopefully some fresh feeling is added by the visit to the friend

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

Props to the author for writing such a disgusting story yet people still come back for more. And Midori deserves nothing, manipulating and toying with her friend's feelings like nothing. No wonder she's stuck with Tazune, trash attracts trash

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Props to the author for writing such a disgusting story yet people still come back for more. And Midori deserves nothing, manipulating and toying with her friend's feelings like nothing. No wonder she's stuck with Tazune, trash attracts trash

The Great Objective Judge of Human Behavior has spoken! All citizens must now adopt the One True Attitude towards this manga!

(No matter how stupid and misogynist that attitude might be.)

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

@Omegand
That's the kind of stuff Witały Śenkęl says to himself to keep himself hard while masturbating.

As a mapper and a subscriber to Igor' World, that's one of the worst (in multiple meanings of the word) insults I can give.

last edited at Mar 2, 2020 7:41AM

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

This is how I feel about fuckin' Tazune

I'm not a fan.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

This story grow weaker by the chapter ...

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^^ I don't know and don't care what that scene's from, but I surely wouldn't mind watching some misogynist douche get hit by a bunch of women from different angles in public as a form of entertainment. Is it too much for me to ask such events be made, and held on a weekly basis?

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

Being abused doesn't give you a pass to be trashy and manipulative.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Your deficient grasp of basic psychology has been duly noted.

joined Apr 29, 2018

i ship Maki with Komari. she seems to understand her and respect her so why not?

joined Sep 13, 2018

Point out how Midori is being manipulative in any manner and you might have a point.

She's a sad depressed woman reaching out to the woman she used to love, initially acting on old memories because she didn't put any weight into them because of comphet while also seeking out the last time she felt like she belonged. Hell, Midori even seems to acknowledge what she did hurt Maki considering how she's now consistently keeping in contact with her.

Like shit, some of y'all are so eager to shit talk an abuse victim. I can't help but feel like if y'all weren't fans of yuri and Maki was just a smidge less well written you'd be spouting out about how creepy it was that she had a crush or how manipulative it was for her to get mad at Midori for opting to not cheat or how shitty it was for her to bring up the notion of eloping with Midori and just leaving her fiancee without knowing literally anything about their circumstances other than a (correct) gut feeling about their relationship being awful.

This is to say that all those readings of Maki are wrong and require some pretty unsympathetic, misogynistic feelings to come to the conclusion to, so why do the same for Midori? She's a sympathetically written abuse victim who clearly still harbors some deep, subconscious feelings for her old highschool girlfriend.

i ship Maki with Komari. she seems to understand her and respect her so why not?

Because there's a ten year difference between them and they're clearly not into each other as anything other than friends lol

last edited at Mar 2, 2020 10:25AM

joined Jun 12, 2019

This manga makes me sad like I really do hope we get a happy ending but Idk man..

joined Apr 29, 2018

Because there's a ten year difference between them and they're clearly not into each other as anything other than friends lol

i know they're not into each other but still maki and komari is still a less toxic relationship than with midori. i really don't like the way midori is acting it feels like Maki is just some kind of surrogate she doesn't seems very sincere (and the ten years difference means nothing i've seen a lot of couples irl with that age gap.)

last edited at Mar 2, 2020 10:58AM

joined Sep 13, 2018

i know they're not into each other but still maki and komari is still a less toxic relationship than with midori. i really don't like the way midori is acting it feels like Maki is just some kind of surrogate she doesn't seems very sincere (and the ten years difference means nothing i've seen a lot of couples irl with that age gap.)

The only time Midori is authentic about herself is when she's with Maki, hence why she looks like an entirely different, very happy person.

It can mean a whole lot when you're talking about some kid who's like, probably 18, still in highschool who lives in some far off isolated island. Like Maki getting in a relationship with someone like that is way more toxic just from power dynamics alone. And that's not to say people can't have healthy, loving relationships with people with a notable age gap to them, but someone fresh out of highschool isn't going to work well.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

I think 'Maki x Midori' will still be the end-game based on the way the author pans this out. Although, to be honest, I hope Midori and Tazune get a divorce and they ALL stay single, including Maki. It's not healthy I think to indulge in another relationship when you're so broken as an individual (and the brokenness happen to affect the marriage/relationship's falling apart). They need to sort themselves out, also for Maki to--well, move on.

(Who am I kidding? It's the author's call in the end.)

But with this latest chapter, there's the clue Maki and Komari will meet each other. Can't wait to see that.

joined Dec 5, 2019

Maki just can't get over MIdori it seems, it's not that healthy for her but maybe that is what Midori needs to be free from her current situation. I can only hope she can get away from that guy, but will this be good for Maki?

lots of victim blaming going on around here too, but I guess most people can't imagine themselves in a situation you know it's wrong but you simply can't get away from, it's more common than most people think, some may even be living under abuse but still can't quite see it as such and blame others that are in a similar situation and call them "shit" or "weak".

joined Sep 13, 2018

I think 'Maki x Midori' will still be the end-game based on the way the author pans this out. Although, to be honest, I hope Midori and Tazune get a divorce and they ALL stay single, including Maki. It's not healthy I think to indulge in another relationship when you're so broken as an individual (and the brokenness happen to affect the marriage/relationship's falling apart). They need to sort themselves out, also for Maki to--well, move on.

One little comment before I out my thoughts in total: I don't really think that's fair to a lot of people to say "If you're abused, tough luck. No relationships for you" especially because, well, relationships are a healthy part of recovering from abuse. It can get toxic, but I don't really think that's the case here.

Maki just can't get over MIdori it seems, it's not that healthy for her but maybe that is what Midori needs to be free from her current situation. I can only hope she can get away from that guy, but will this be good for Maki?

See I've been seeing a lot of "Maki is unhealthily obsessed with Midori! They shouldn't be together" but we've got to keep in mind that this is a narrative constructed to show their relationship. Maki has a whole life that's going relatively fine. She's lonely, yeah, but that's being a closeted lesbian for you. She still capable of reaching out, she's befriended Komari and they have a good friendship after all, but she is a fairly lonely closeted lesbian living with her mother still so I can't imagine she's really in the position to be dating. We don't know when Maki narrates the opening to chapter 1, but given that two other events in the chapter are her coworkers badgering her on why she's single and doesn't have a boyfriend and Komari asking if she had any luck in highschool, so from context it's not like she's hopelessly pining over her. They meet by chance and given they were in love, its not unusual to imagine that, like Maki and Komari say, maybe its fate and she gets excited about rekindling her relationship. It doesn't go that way exactly, but Maki seems content to just befriend her up until Tazune shows his hands and makes Maki want to protect Midori from the shitheel. As of this chapter, she did seem hurt by Midori just saying "I think we should stop seeing each other", but there's nothing to indicate that her life was really messed up by that. She's able to live a fine, albeit lonely, life without Midori and I'd imagine if Midori never showed up again she would've moved on just fine. Midori does show up however, and we're given Maki's perspective on her feelings. She's mad yeah, if she wanted to she could just cut Midori off, she said she could after all. Buuut she doesn't want to. Especially with how she sees Midori hurting. She's aware of Midori's suffering even if she doesn't have the whole picture and she's just happy to be there for her.

So what I'm trying to say is I don't really get the notion. Yeah Maki likes Midori, but she's not like obsessive. Is their relationship perfect right now? No, even just between them they've still got bumps to cover. But it's a far cry from unhealthy imho.

Vamoaver
joined Apr 16, 2013

Madre mía el salseíto que se viene con la amiga.

joined Sep 5, 2018

Point out how Midori is being manipulative in any manner and you might have a point.

She's a sad depressed woman reaching out to the woman she used to love, initially acting on old memories because she didn't put any weight into them because of comphet while also seeking out the last time she felt like she belonged. Hell, Midori even seems to acknowledge what she did hurt Maki considering how she's now consistently keeping in contact with her.

I think the problem is that we’re mixing two issues here: Midori looking for support and how she’s getting it.

Midori reaching out to Maki for support should obviously be the Right Thing to do, but the Right Way would also be something like asking Maki “I have problem X, can you help me?” to which Maki could agree and voluntarily provide support in a completely platonic way. (Maki could also refuse, but she’s not that heartless.) Unfortunately, Midori is not yet at a stage where she’s ready to admit that, so instead she tries to get Maki to be nice to her by relying on their previous relationship. She’s giving Maki little bits of affection but always refuses to give her the romantic relationship Maki obviously wants to have, which is hurting Maki a lot, as the most recent chapter showed.

Since Midori’s not playing with open cards here, I can see how her behavior can be described as “manipulative”, but I think the real question here is, is it okay to save yourself at the expense of another? Midori saving herself at the expense of Tazune would get all of my thumbs-up, but Midori saving herself at the expense of Maki, who did her no wrong? Is it okay because Madori is saved more than Maki is hurt? +10 points for Midori and only -5 points for Maki? Is the ratio relevant? -1 point for Maki would be okay but -9 points would not be? Who gets to decide those numbers?

“Saving one person at the expense of another” is a moral dilemma that I find both fascinating and frightening at the same time because while I like to read it, this series made me realize that a couple in my extended family is almost certainly in the early stages of an abusive relationship. orz

joined Dec 5, 2019

@Samcaesar

Everything you pointed out does make sense, my comment wasn't so much on Maki being obsessed with Midori, I though maki may end up hurt because even if midori frees herself from Tezune she might try to be "normal" again, even if it's quite clear that Midori likes Maki a lot.

I do hope their relationship works out tho.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, seeing the walls of text here, I think this manga can be considered a success for its author.

At least, it challenges people.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I though maki may end up hurt because even if midori frees herself from Tezune she might try to be "normal" again,

Pretty sure the former isn't going to happen before she stops being delusional about the latter anyway. Pretty much Midori's whole Major Malfunction why she's stuck with him in the first place is her fetishization (in the non-sexual sense) of the superficial formulas of "normal married life"; she's pathologically fixated on the idea that if she just keeps going through the motions and "checking the boxes" of the most painfully stereotypical married-woman life path she will somehow, magically, be happy irrespective of such minor details as her hubby-to-be being a rank asshole who keeps making her miserable.

This is obviously total horseshit and it's pretty telling that she's having to engage in some fairly blatant goalpost-shifting to keep convincing herself of this BS in the face of all evidence to the contrary. Case in point being her near mythologizing of the other pregnant women she sees while getting her checkup at the hospital; implying she has on some level already given up hope on the marriage itself being the magic talisman that'll give her the emotional fulfillment she so desperately craves - and duly upped the ante by shunting those wholly unrealistic expectations onto motherhood instead. (Hopefully we won't have to see where she'd shift them next after that falls through...)

A form of sunk costs fallacy I suppose.

It's pretty clear that on some level she's painfully aware of the monstrous degrees of self-deception going on here; the issue is she's burdened with far too much emotional baggage, and altogether too insecure (and, tbf, probably also too unimaginative - by her own admission to Maki she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed), to really consider any alternatives to or critically review the vague cookie-cutter formula of life plan she's taken for granted and going with.

As an aside this kind of blindly going through the motions of some behavioural formula with the blithe assumption of automagical positive end result is something that keeps coming up again and again in manga (and its mainland analogs) in remarkably varied contexts; pretty sure that's not coincidental at all and likely reflects the tendencies for form over function, tradition and heavily ritualised conduct still quite prevalent across East Asian cultures. Though it's probably a good sign that such rigidity tends to be portrayed as problematic one way or another.

last edited at Mar 2, 2020 5:48PM

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Well, seeing the walls of text here, I think this manga can be considered a success for its author.

At least, it challenges people.

Pretty much what I was thinking haha

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Doesn’t seem sincere? As far as I can see, the only time that Midori is being truthful, authentic and genuinely happy is when she’s with Maki. And Midori probably knew it too. The only thing is that Midori is too scared and wants something “normal” to her standard.

And for those saying Maki is obsessed with Midori, I don’t think so. She’s just in love with Midori. And that’s it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.