Forum › Run Away With Me, Girl discussion

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

This mangaka has gone and done THE WORST FUCKING THING that they could do for me. The mangaka has decided an antagonist, who most likely will never have any kind of redemption arc or reason to care about in any way, a back story to explain why he does the shitty, horrible, dirtbag bullshit he does. NEWS FLASH WRITER: WE DON'T CARE! The character is an outright shitbag, and we don't want to story to focus on him AT ALL. Literally nothing he does will change our opinions of him at this point, and solidifying his shittyness with a backstory like this, will only lose you readers. NOTE TO FUTURE/CURRENT WRITERS: DON'T DO THIS. It is a complete waste of our time. I didn't finish this chapter, and will not be reading any more of this manga. The art is lovely, but the writing needs a lot of work.

i don't think you not reading will affect the mangaka at all coz in the first place you didnt even buy the work, you just read it free of charge here lol

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

Well if this was supposed to be a learning lesson, then what I got out of it was:
If the person has been a jerk, there might have been a good reason for it, but that doesn’t mean you should let that person keep being a jerk to you.
Doing that will only make your situation worse.

"good reason"
he's got the backstory of a literal actual ex-incel with reasoning that borders dangerously close on their thought processes to boot.

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 3:27AM

joined Sep 13, 2018

he's got the backstory of a literal actual ex-incel with reasoning that borders dangerously close on their thought processes to boot.

Yeah, honestly Tazune is a really accurate depiction of a successful pick-up artist. They court incel-types desperately want to be in control of women who they basically revile for whatever reason and most of the time big PUA dipshits used to be incel-types themselves. Like fuck, I think me and another person used negging before to describe how he treats Midori but it literally is. It almost makes me think Battan looked into PUA types and their shit to write him.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Well if this was supposed to be a learning lesson, then what I got out of it was:
If the person has been a jerk, there might have been a good reason for it, but that doesn’t mean you should let that person keep being a jerk to you.
Doing that will only make your situation worse.

"good reason"

Eh, I wouldn't call any of this a "good reason" for being a jerk, but the girls picking on him were -also- being bullying little shits. It's not like they were just not interested in him, they were cruel and belittling. It's showing the cycle of abuse. If you treat someone like shit, there's a good chance they end up passing that abuse on to someone else. It doesn't excuse his behavior, but his later behavior doesn't justify their cruelty either.

The lesson, as is so often the case, is "Don't be a dick, goddammit". ;p

joined Dec 18, 2018

Edit: While I'm rooting for Midori and Maki to get together in the long run. I think Maki needs to keep some distance between them for now. It's obvious that Midori has to leave that dick, then spend some qulity me time before she will be able form a healthy relationship. Maki should stick around and help Midori as a friend, but she should definitely hold back any dating talk, until Midori is in a better place.

It's not just Midori that has issues to deal with though. Maki is completely obsessed with the past, at this point it's honestly impossible to say if she's actually in love with Midori, or the memory of her from high school.

I think they both need time apart if their relationship is to have a chance of succeeding.

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 4:33AM

joined May 11, 2018

Pathetic all around.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Am I allowed to feel "told you so" smug now at certain people I argued with only a few days back? >_>

Anyway, I kinda like Tazune on a storytelling meta level. Usually when you have an Evil Boyfriend™ in a relationship-focused manga or anime, nevermind now a yuri one, he's a cardboard cut-out who basically just exists for the sake of drama, conflict and/or plot convenience. (Totally not looking at you here, Citrus...)
This asshole is given a proper, psychologically plausible and only too realistic backstory to shed light on how he ended up as such an abusive back of dicks; goes well with his equally only too credible MO so far. All in the space of, roughly, half a chapter to boot.

Now that's what I call craftsmanship.

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 4:59AM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

This mangaka has gone and done THE WORST FUCKING THING that they could do for me. The mangaka has decided an antagonist, who most likely will never have any kind of redemption arc or reason to care about in any way, a back story to explain why he does the shitty, horrible, dirtbag bullshit he does. NEWS FLASH WRITER: WE DON'T CARE! The character is an outright shitbag, and we don't want to story to focus on him AT ALL. Literally nothing he does will change our opinions of him at this point, and solidifying his shittyness with a backstory like this, will only lose you readers. NOTE TO FUTURE/CURRENT WRITERS: DON'T DO THIS. It is a complete waste of our time. I didn't finish this chapter, and will not be reading any more of this manga. The art is lovely, but the writing needs a lot of work.

lmfao what.

What other antagonists can we think of who were given back stories and depth to explain their awful choices actions, hmm: Voldemort, Thanos, Vader.. the fucking purple teddy bear from Toy Story lmfao. Where did you study to be telling people to avoid giving their antagonists depth?

I agree with you here.

People aren't suppose to like Tazune, we are explicitly made to dislike him. He sucks a lot and Battan did a good job making this feel as natural as possible. The story feels more realistic than other manga, every character has flaws and baggage and we can understand What they're thinking/feeling and I think its going to be a satisfying read.

I think this is a bit harsh, though The person voiced an opinion, and you jumped on them like they stole something from you. I think we have to remember everybody is entitled too their opinion, and the old message board saying If you don't like it don't read, goes for the comments as well.
Nothing wrong with a spirited debate, but lets try to keep it civil.

Also, I don't think Battan will miss your readership, theres the door.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Edit: While I'm rooting for Midori and Maki to get together in the long run. I think Maki needs to keep some distance between them for now. It's obvious that Midori has to leave that dick, then spend some qulity me time before she will be able form a healthy relationship. Maki should stick around and help Midori as a friend, but she should definitely hold back any dating talk, until Midori is in a better place.

It's not just Midori that has issues to deal with though. Maki is completely obsessed with the past, at this point it's honestly impossible to say if she's actually in love with Midori, or the memory of her from high school.

I think they both need time apart if their relationship is to have a chance of succeeding.

Yeah, you're right. I aways hate the time gap stories where it appears that the protagonist has done nothing in the interim but pine over their lost love.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

We dont know if this is the first time he's been overtly physically abusive. It's just the first time we've seen it. Either way the guy has been abusive from the start. Emotional and psychological abuse doesn't always take the form of outright horrible screaming and obvious vile denigration; it can be more subtle, and often takes the form of gaslighting. This isn't me speaking as an armchair psychologist; this is me speaking from firsthand experience of that kind of abuse that dominated the first 3/4 of my life.

I've had 0 sympathy for Tazune from the beginning due to my own life's lessons and shitty history, and nothing but sympathy for Midori despite her confusing and hurtful behavior for the same reason--it mirrors my own. But that aside this kind of experience is all too common and I think the author is doing a great job of depicting these kinds of wretched dynamics and situations. It's a definite deviation from the typical yuri we see, which are typically framed from a younger perspective--which is also perfectly valid, but only part of a greater picture that is so unfortunately common once adulthood is reached. We're getting a much less common depiction of what can often happen after someone "graduates" into adulthood and all its potentially poisonous pitfalls with regard to homosexuality and heteronormativity.

Buuuuuut, I would've hated Tazune if this was a het story, or a yaoi story, or if Tazune had also been female. An abuser is an abuser regardless of gender. Ditto for victims of abuse. Anyone abusing anyone is reprehensible, but hitting a pregnant woman is worse. Even if she didn't get out for her own sake, I think Midori would get out for the sake of the kid. After all, so far "I'm not one person anymore, I'm two" has been a pretty big theme in her thinking.

I hope Maki confronts her about her behavior and they both get some closure and growth, and I think the author is capable of that. But we'll see.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

16 chapters? Now I intrigued. There must be some time for impressive growing. At first I thought this will be quite short.

I kinda amazed that someone denied that this ass-fiance is abuser. Yeah, he is not a husband yet, my bad. From the first moment we see him, he is is full of shit and intentionally, with happy smirk, belittling Midori. And now he hits her, what was totally expected from this author. He has an okay backstory, at least it’s realistic. And being sometimes realistic is what this manga can do good. In my opinion.

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 6:06AM

joined Dec 5, 2019

That scene when her coworker said " but not Tazune right? He's nice" depicts something that is vert common, how some abuser can maintain a compleately nice facade for those outside, that confuses the hell out of the abused even more, thinking why she is the only one who thinks he's shit?

The fragility of hisnconfidence was a nice touch.

Let's hope things can improve for Midori, because if the author is going for realism, not many people manage to free themselves from such scumbags

joined Mar 21, 2017

Yeah i didn't find his back story sympathetic either. He made his own choices, no one made them for him.

I don't think the backstory was put here for us to sympathize with him. Antagonist that you can sympathize are good, but a good old asshole is just as good, the background Just turned this character more believable, it was a hard chapter to read but I think it was good for the story overall.

Yeah i didn't think that either, was more just a response to those whom might have thought that that was the point of giving him a backstory.

I have a love/hate relationship with this story. It's like getting tattooed, it hurts but you keep going back for more.

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 6:30AM

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

nice getting to see tazunes side of things

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 6:51AM

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

Eh, I wouldn't call any of this a "good reason" for being a jerk, but the girls picking on him were -also- being bullying little shits. It's not like they were just not interested in him, they were cruel and belittling. It's showing the cycle of abuse. If you treat someone like shit, there's a good chance they end up passing that abuse on to someone else. It doesn't excuse his behavior, but his later behavior doesn't justify their cruelty either.

Nobody said anything about that. You could keep passing the puck along even, hypothesizing that maybe those girls had problems from others, who also were abused or bullied by another, and so on. Who knows!

He's still walking human garbage, nevertheless, and escalated things to an even more severe level than his aggressors ever did. And not only that, but an enemy of yuri! So like, he should just die.

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

LOOOOOOOOOL this is actually the best manga I've seen, it went so much off the deep end that it started to turn good. Tazune is based as fuck and Midori deserves everything that's coming to her. Maybe,just maybe Midori will grow into a competent human being by the end. But i'll remain doubtful.

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 7:14AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Nobody said anything about that. You could keep passing the puck along even, hypothesizing that maybe those girls had problems from others, who also were abused or bullied by another, and so on. Who knows!

Case in point, I had a lovely childhood that featured both an abusive father and bullying at school. And I know the former had himself a very unhappy time growing up in a loveless home ("sins of the father unto nth generation" etc.) while several of the bullies had themselves been victimised in the past and were doing the classic passing-the-buck.

I consciously and actively refuse to act like either to further perpetuate the cycle.

Few people reach adulthood without unpleasant experiences of one sort or another, but everyone has a choice in how they act towards others as a result. Tazune opted for hurting others to feel better about himself and that is what makes him dogshit in human form.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Satisfied now, Starknight? You wanted some clarity, you got it. In any case, remember that a depiction of a character is not an endorsement of them. Tazune's character is being explicated, not excused. We are meant to hate and revile him. All the manga has done by showing us this is answering the question "How does the average person become evil?", and people's visceral reactions to it are because they know it works this way.

joined Jun 12, 2015

LOOOOOOOOOL this is actually the best manga I've seen, it went so much off the deep end that it started to turn good. Tazune is based as fuck and Midori deserves everything that's coming to her. Maybe,just maybe Midori will grow into a competent human being by the end. But i'll remain doubtful.

Yes! Go, go Team Tazune!

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Yes! Go, go Team Tazune!

What in the world are people cheering for someone who just show domestical abuse ? Even if she is an idiot, Midori doesn't deserve any of this Nobody should deserve to be victim of domestical abuse Can't believe those comments as still here. The thing is remain doubtful is that mister Shitty Husband will face any consequences of that. So far i don't see anything screaming good end.

joined Oct 19, 2019

Most comments here are really cringeworthy, it seems incel is the new buzzword here.

joined Sep 13, 2018

Yes! Go, go Team Tazune!

What in the world are people cheering for someone who just show domestical abuse ? Even if she is an idiot, Midori doesn't deserve any of this Nobody should deserve to be victim of domestical abuse Can't believe those comments as still here. The thing is remain doubtful is that mister Shitty Husband will face any consequences of that. So far i don't see anything screaming good end.

She's not even an idiot. For folks invested in stories about gay women (as that's whats mostly on Dynasty Scans), the fact that what happened with Maki and Midori is 100% a Class S scenario, a real thing that's also used a lot in yuri, and folks insist on going "God what an idiot! She's an asshole too!" rather than see it as the sad tragedy of comphet that it is is absurd to me.

As for the folks you quotes, idk, they just seem like jackasses (Unless if the second one is being deeply Ironic which I feel is a possibility :V)

joined Oct 19, 2019

Yes! Go, go Team Tazune!

She's not even an idiot. For folks invested in stories about gay women (as that's whats mostly on Dynasty Scans), the fact that what happened with Maki and Midori is 100% a Class S scenario, a real thing that's also used a lot in yuri, and folks insist on going "God what an idiot! She's an asshole too!" rather than see it as the sad tragedy of comphet that it is is absurd to me.

As for the folks you quotes, idk, they just seem like jackasses (Unless if the second one is being deeply Ironic which I feel is a possibility :V)

Finally a sensible comment here.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

She's not even an idiot.

I don't mean idiot in a bad term here. She is a sympathic idiot. She do stupid things but that purely because she thought she will be happy. She is very naïve.

Most comments here are really cringeworthy, it seems incel is the new buzzword here.

Nobody force you to read them thought.

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 9:04AM

Images
joined Sep 30, 2018

This is too realistic, but yeah acceptable. The violence, I hate if but if the mangaka's going for the realistic approach, this is acceptable. I just hope the plot would go on as how it should be since the yuri tag's already there, you know, the girls getting together, but on the guy's violence, normally as a woman you should call the police! A lot of things needed to be solved, that makes the manga something to look forward. Ik a lot of us have different views on this and heck yeah, I FUCKING HATE WHAT HE DID, but I wanna trust the mangaka that this will still turn out well on the end.

To reply you must either login or sign up.