Forum › Crescent Moon and Doughnuts discussion

Img_os7f7k
joined Oct 6, 2018

Is for this shit I came here (╯°□°)╯

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Don't feel bad, guy. It's not your fault or hers. You're both victims of society's expectations. I'm really liking this trend of sympathetic male characters in yuri works. It feels like the genre is moving on from a major point of contention (at least for me).

Meh, sympathetic guys in yuri have been common place since yuri started becoming popular with men.

last edited at Jan 8, 2020 5:40AM

32104671_1715652908533240_2109611648586088448_n
joined Jul 30, 2015

I'm in!

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Don't feel bad, guy. It's not your fault or hers. You're both victims of society's expectations. I'm really liking this trend of sympathetic male characters in yuri works. It feels like the genre is moving on from a major point of contention (at least for me).

The way they used him is actually pretty interesting. The guy looked down, in utter dejection, and said "I knew I didn't have a shot. I'm sorry for bothering you." She spends the entire manga berating herself and going on about how useless she is, but we get two external views of how other people see her. One is from Satou, but it's kind-of expected that she'd view the main character decently. The other one comes from this random guy that she just dumped. Not only does he think she's great, he thinks she's completely, and obviously, out of his league. That even after she went on a date with him, he should have already known he wasn't good enough and trying to follow up on that date is just being a bother.

Think of all of the other ways that interaction could have been handled. Even if you discount all of the cartoonishly evil ones, "I should have known better." is not the default response, especially when coming from a well put together business man. What it is, however, is probably one of the clearest ways the author could point to a difference between her self-image and how the rest of the world views her. When we later her Satou echo a similar sentiment, it starts to suggest that the rest of the world might not be wrong, in this case.

We have a character that seems to be suffering from some sort of depression or anxiety and it's not because her life is terrible or she's a walking pile of trash, since depression really doesn't care about either of those things. I'm sure some, maybe even most, of it is down to how she thinks romance is supposed to work and not understanding her own sexuality, but I think it would be interesting if she really did have some form of depression and simply doing happy things wasn't enough to fix it. Because mental disorders aren't that easy to deal with and they can effect people who should have great lives and seeing that represented in manga and watching the characters figure out how to actually deal with it would be a refreshing change of pace.

(Also, even without the depression angle, I'm impressed by how much use the author got out of what is probably a one-off character.)

Explain doughnut holes then! Those were AMAZEBALLS.

Of course they're amazeballs. Just think about it. If donuts are good [i]because[/i] they have a hole, then clearly that hole must be made of undiluted awesome and what is a doughnut hole if not the hole in a doughnut?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

More like he is victim of the guy in Yuri syndrom. No matter how much of a saint they are, the manga is about two girls getting together.

Chamo
joined Mar 15, 2019

Oh my god I just read the cover page, bi-monthly!? This could either be a good thing (twice a month) or a terribly long wait (once every two months).

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

More like he is victim of the guy in Yuri syndrom. No matter how much of a saint they are, the manga is about two girls getting together.

Well, I'm still reading Ojisama Nante Iranai which has a token straight couple. So there is always that option.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

They have similar problems, but they act the opposite to them.
It's interesting to see that. Because usually we think that when someone is quiet, probably suffers more than someone who appears sociable and cheery. People can appear more happy than others when they're not.

Wonder how this dynamic will keep going on, or it it will get resolved quickly.

Oh my god I just read the cover page, bi-monthly!? This could either be a good thing (twice a month) or a terribly long wait (once every two months).

Bimonthly is one chapter every two months. I'm not 100% sure about that, but I don't think it ever means two chapters in one month. That would be bi-weekly.

last edited at Jan 8, 2020 7:01AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Well, I'm still reading Ojisama Nante Iranai which has a token straight couple. So there is always that option.

Should have precise "guy who like one of the MC". Even it's also rare to have a side character engaging in a straight couple.

Letys%20try%20this%20again
joined Mar 26, 2017

"i see myself in this and i don't like it"

Same.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Office romance is the second most common yuri genre at this point (next to the unbeatable school setting), but 90% of the time they don't even say what their company does lol
Seems a bit more lax this time as they don't need to wear suits. Good.

Feeling broken because you don't find the right guy... A common experience to be sure.
I feel a bit bad for the guy. He seemed sweet. He just happened to pick a closet lesbian.

PS: Somehow the phrase "donuts are good because they have a hole" rings some bells. I can't quite pinpoint it though.

last edited at Jan 8, 2020 8:18AM

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Philosophical doughnuts.... I love it... Also prays for future doughnut bumping

Eldmbwaw4amteza
joined Nov 22, 2019

"donuts are good because they have a hole" and she keeps her nails short? n i c e

Skulltroop_far_wht
joined Jun 3, 2018

This one looks interesting.

Made me buy donuts/10

joined Mar 29, 2019

U gaeeee

Thumbs
joined Apr 16, 2012

This is nice! I'm hooked, story starts good!
More adult office Yuri please!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

and she keeps her nails short? n i c e

I need to pay more attention to these little details...

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

When a manga character is of a reserved type they're usually an awkward klutz, eccentric/otaku, spaced-out NEET or curmudgeon. With Satou it feels there's something more subtle than that stock character thing going on .

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

"Published Bi-Monthly" :(. Oh well, as long as it gives the author enough time to write the story they want, then it's ok. Can't wait to see more

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Don-Don Donuts, let's go nuts~

Tumblr_inline_n7fj1wtor31s5fzt9%20copy
joined May 2, 2012

I've been loving the decent adult and OL yuri we've had recently. Really enjoyed the introspection on dealing with issues like self-hatred and heteronormativity as a set up in this first chapter. I can definitely relate to it myself. The art is great too!
Keen to see how it develops.

joined Nov 9, 2017

"i see myself in this and i don't like it"

Same.

same²

Jpeg_20190202_220408
joined Mar 21, 2019

now I want to eat some doughnuts

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

adamatari posted:

Is this a common thing? I can actually relate to the girls that know they are gay from childhood more, my own preference was something I knew from childhood. I guess some people don't figure it out right away? I can understand outright denial but just not realizing is a bit odd.

In most countries homosexuality is neither accepted nor legal. Considering how heteronormative most societies are, how rarely the topic comes up in real life or fiction and that being open about it can often give you more troubles than it's worth, so you might live your entire life never encountering it, not realizing you're gay and instead assuming there's something wrong with you doesn't sound that unresonable.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

BTW, thanks to all the people who responded to my post. I do appreciate it, it's interesting to see how this goes.

My own experience is a bit of a funhouse mirror in a way, a lot of people thought I was gay when I was younger though I am straight. There's a lot more story I could tell there, but anyway, the poisonous part of rigid social expectations goes out pretty far. Even of you're straight you have to be the right type of straight... It's a lot of bullshit. People telling you what to think and how to be when it's all based on what they like, what they want... It's so tiresome and dumb.

To reply you must either login or sign up.